The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
       [not found] <mailman.1.1538877601.18358.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2018-10-07  2:31 ` Paul McJones
From: Paul McJones @ 2018-10-07  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: Noel Chiappa

> On Oct 6, 2018 ,jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) wrote:
>
> Date: Sat,  6 Oct 2018 21:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu <mailto:jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> (Noel Chiappa)
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
>
> If not, what am I missing? The Berkeley Genie OS for the SDS? (Dunno if that's
> been saved.) The THE system? (Ditto - although I know someone has saved the
> last X8.) The Atlas OS?

The Computer History Museum’s Donald Knuth digital archive project  (http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102726297 <http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102726297>) contains a scan of a listing of the source code of the THE Operating System by Bron, Dijkstra, et al. The finding aid for the collection is here: http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Knuth_Don_X4100/PDF_index/KnuthDigitalArchive-Index.html <http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Knuth_Don_X4100/PDF_index/KnuthDigitalArchive-Index.html> — scan down for “Source code of the THE Operating System”.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-10  0:11           ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2018-10-10  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Similar here... 6502 assembler on a CBM3032, while everybody else had an Apple II. Later 8080 on a simulator, Z80, 68000, Z8000, 8088, in that order. Z8000 is still my favourite, spent a lot of time with that.

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry 10-Smartphone.
  Originalnachricht
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-10-09 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-10-08 10:03   ` Tony Finch
From: Tony Finch @ 2018-10-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs, jnc

arnold@skeeve.com <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> Isn't Martin Richards still around?  Can't someone "just" ask him?

There's a TRIPOS archive on his web pages; I don't know if there's
anything more comprehensive dating back to when it was being used in the
1980s.

He retired in 2007, though I think he can be found in his college if not
in the Computer Lab.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/newlabphotos/MR-retirement/

A few notes on the pictures:

Maurice Wilkes can be seen on the left in photo 1967.

Chris Cheney is on the left in photo 8317. Chris invented his eponymous
copying garbage collector algorithm when working on ALGOL 68 with
Steve Bourne.

The green door was preserved from the original Mathematical Laboratory
building that housed EDSAC and its successors until about 1970; the brass
plaque records the names of those who worked in the old building and
stuck around long enough to retire after Wilkes.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
oppose all forms of entrenched privilege and inequality

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-08  5:55       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2018-10-08  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, William Corcoran wrote:
>
>> Half the programmers in this world could not code themselves out of a brown
>> paper bag.  Sounds more like a software sewer than a great work of art.
>
> These days, anyone who can do VB etc can call themselves a programmer; in my
> day, you had to know PDP-11 or VAX assembler...  Or Z-80...

I know 65C02, is that good enough? xD

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-08  5:34     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-10-08  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, William Corcoran wrote:

> Half the programmers in this world could not code themselves out of a
> brown paper bag.  Sounds more like a software sewer than a great work of
> art.

These days, anyone who can do VB etc can call themselves a programmer; in
my day, you had to know PDP-11 or VAX assembler...  Or Z-80...

-- Dave (An ROF, i.e. a Retired Old Fart)

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-07 11:48 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-10-07 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, jnc; +Cc: jnc

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) wrote:

>     > From: jsteve
>
>     > I'd say TripOS.  There is some surce fragments but I never could get any
>     > BCPL to cross build anything.
>
> I'm somewhat stunned to hear that, given that Martin Richards did both! What kind
> of things are the compilers complaining about? (And I'm also kind of amazed that
> Cambridge didn't make an effort to save Tripos.)
>
> 	  Noel

Isn't Martin Richards still around?  Can't someone "just" ask him?
See https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mr10/

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-07 11:23 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

@ 2018-10-07  4:56 ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2018-10-07  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa, tuhs; +Cc: jnc

I'd say TripOS.  There is some surce fragments but I never could get any BCPL to cross build anything.

Also Mach 1.x to 2.5

Sent from my Windows 10 Nokia Lumia 1520

From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-07  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

Noel Chiappa writes:
> If not, what am I missing? The Berkeley Genie OS for the SDS? (Dunno
> if that's been saved.)

I think it has.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-07  1:28     ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-10-07  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Corcoran; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Saturday, October 6, 2018, William Corcoran <wlc@jctaylor.com> wrote:

> Half the programmers in this world could not code themselves out of a
> brown paper bag.  Sounds more like a software sewer than a great work of
> art.
>
> Bill Corcoran

Exactly my thoughts too.  Code inflation[1] is a huge problem today.  There
was a day when one person could understand the whole UNIX kernel... now
with millions of lines of code in Linux and FreeBSD I don't think this is
possible anymore and definitely it is not fun.  That is why you see more
and more paid code in Linux -- who else would like to debug this bloated
monster it became just for fun... like back in the days.

Programming these days (especially in bussiness sector with projects
written in C++ or Java) is not fun and I feel sorry for those poor people
that must maintain such projects.

We need to come back to simple and minimalistic systems, otherwise we will
all be buried soon underneath terabytes of unmaintainable bloated code...

--Andy

[1] Code Inflation, Gerald J Holzmann
https://www.computer.org/cms/Computer.org/ComputingNow/issues/2015/04/mso2015020010.pdf

* Re: [TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news
@ 2018-10-07  1:04 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-07  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

@ 2018-10-07  0:55   ` William Corcoran
From: William Corcoran @ 2018-10-07  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Williams; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-10-07  0:07 ` Nigel Williams
From: Nigel Williams @ 2018-10-07  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2018-10-07  0:00 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2018-10-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I've just finished reading another article in the latest print issue
of Communications of the ACM that arrived in my mailbox earlier this
week:

	Jean-Fran{\c{c}}ois Abramatic, Roberto Di Cosmo, and Stefano Zacchiroli
	Viewpoint: Building the universal archive of source code
	Comm. ACM 61(20) 29--31 October 2018
	https://doi.org/10.1145/3183558
	https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=3281635.3183558

I draw it to your attention to it because it has favorable mention of
the Computer History Museum, and of Diomidis Spinellis's work on the
Unix source code archive, described in his article

	A repository of Unix history and evolution
	Empirical Software Engineering 22(3) 1372--1404 June 2017
	https://doi.org/10.1007/s10664-016-9445-5
	https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10664-016-9445-5

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -