The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 11:08 Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-07-14 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello,

Unix V8 has some code for Chaosnet support.  There is a small hobbyist
Chaos network going with Lispm, PDP-10, PDP-11, and Berkeley Unix nodes.
Is there anyone who would be interested in trying to see if the V8 code
is in a workable state, and get it running?

Best regards,
Lars Brinkhoff

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 16:37 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2022-07-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/14/22 04:08, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Unix V8 has some code for Chaosnet support.  There is a small hobbyist
> Chaos network going with Lispm, PDP-10, PDP-11, and Berkeley Unix nodes.
> Is there anyone who would be interested in trying to see if the V8 code
> is in a workable state, and get it running?
>
> Best regards,
> Lars Brinkhoff

A network of lisp machines and PDP-10/11 systems seems pretty cool... is
there a web site for the network?

john

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 17:00   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-07-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: tuhs

John Floren wrote:
> A network of lisp machines and PDP-10/11 systems seems pretty
> cool... is there a web site for the network?

Yes, it's here:
https://chaosnet.net/

And there's a GitHub organization:
https://github.com/Chaosnet/

To keep this on topic, known Unix implementations of Chaosnet include
4.1BSD (up and running), V8 (available but not running), and V7 (not
found yet).

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 17:51     ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-07-14 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: tuhs

Given V8 being rebased on 4(.1?)BSD, I suspect the path of least resistance would be to just start grafting V8 code onto the working 4.1BSD.

What sort of help are you looking for? I've got idle fingers in the evenings lately, if you just need some code junkies to work on things I'm happy to throw my hat in the ring.

- Matt G.

@ 2022-07-14 18:19       ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2022-07-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: tuhs

Note, I don’t know what you’re planning, but Chaos couldn’t take any
propagation delay.   It’s really limited to a LAN implementation as
originally designed.

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 19:36       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-07-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

segaloco wrote:
> What sort of help are you looking for? I've got idle fingers in the
> evenings lately, if you just need some code junkies to work on things
> I'm happy to throw my hat in the ring.

I'm mainly curious if the V8 code works.  I haven't examined it at all,
so I have no idea.

For reference, I have a disk image with 4.1BSD patched and ready to
run with SIMH here:
http://lars.nocrew.org/tmp/Chaotic-4.1BSD.tar.bz2

I collected all the bits and pieces here and intended to make
an expect script to install, patch, and build everything.  I didn't
the script but all the stuff should be here:
https://github.com/Chaosnet/Chaosnet-for-4.1BSD

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 20:32         ` Tom Teixeira
From: Tom Teixeira @ 2022-07-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/14/22 2:19 PM, Ron Natalie wrote:
> Note, I don’t know what you’re planning, but Chaos couldn’t take any
> propagation delay.   It’s really limited to a LAN implementation as
> originally designed.

It definitely had subnet routing, and as I recall, the KL10's and other
machines with front end I/O processors generally used chaosnet routing
between the host itself and the rest of the network. i.e. the I/O
processor was on one subnet, the host on a second subnet and the rest of
the "LAN" was on the other side of the I/O processor. My recollection is
that unlike an IP router, a Chaosnet node had only one address, and
routing tables determined which device to send the data on.

And LCS definitely had multiple coax cable runs with each run a subnet
with routing between. But with a maximum of 256 subnets, routing was
much simpler.

I wonder how much benefit is available from using network switches
rather than collision detection and retransmit, though the virtual token
was supposed to reduce collisions somewhat.

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-14 20:39           ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2022-07-14 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Teixeira, tuhs

It can do subnets, but it can’t deal with long haul (over the greater
internet) time delays.

@ 2022-07-14 21:50         ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2022-07-14 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: tuhs

This looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for:

http://9legacy.org/9legacy/doc/simh/v8

Steps to start with a 4.1BSD base in simh and use that to ultimately produce a V8 system. I haven't audited these instructions myself, so YMMV, but I suspect someone wouldn't go through the hard work if this didn't do anything.

That said, your original posting mentions the PDP-11, but also "Berkeley Unix Nodes". For the latter, do you mean VAX? These instructions are for VAX too, I don't know whether V8 ran on PDP-11 or not, but if that's your intent, you may want to start with a 2.xBSD or V7 as a base instead.

- Matt G.

@ 2022-07-15  0:33             ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2022-07-15  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/14/22 2:39 PM, Ron Natalie wrote:
> It can do subnets, but it can’t deal with long haul (over the greater
> internet) time delays.

I wonder if there is an opportunity for something that pretends to be
the remote side locally, sends the data via some other
non-latency-sensitive protocol to a counter part where the counter part
pretends to be the near side.

Local         /
              /
[A]----[B]==/==[C]---[D]
            /
           /       Remote

Where ---- is Chaosnet over a short distance and ==/== is something else
over a long distance.  B would pretend to be D so that A could talk to
D' in a timely manner and conversely C would pretend to be A so that A'
could talk to D in a timely manner.

I've seen such spoofing / emulation in other protocols.  Maybe the prior
art can work for Chaosnet.

P.S. Hopefully my ASCII art will survive the trip.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-15  4:29               ` Erik E. Fair
From: Erik E. Fair @ 2022-07-15  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: tuhs

Grant,

You've just described a useful piece of old ARPANET hardware: the Advanced Communications Corp (ACC) Error Control Unit (ECU). ARPANET IMP 1822 (serial) interface could be "local host" (30 feet, unbalanced serial), or "distant host" (up to 2,000 feet, balanced serial).

One used a pair of ACC ECUs - one at the IMP end, one at the host end, with potentially arbitrary distance inbetween the ECUs, so as to obviate the 1822 LH/DH limits.

I managed such a setup at LLNL in 1986 (MILNET, IMP #21): when I was hired, the group I hired into (well, put under contract to by CDC Professional Services) was on-site at the lab, but as the wires ran between the old AEC instrument trailer that was our machine room for a VAX-11/780 and PDP-11/70 (both running BSD, natch) and the Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center (MFE CC) where the IMP was located was rather longer than 1822 DH could handle.

A 3002 circuit ("dry" pairs) and a pair of LADDS high-speed modems did the trick there.

Later, my group moved to the Hacienda Business Park in Pleasanton, some miles away; we set up a Pac*Bell 56Kb/s (DS0) leased line with standard CSU/DSUs to connect the ACC ECUs and in turn the host (well, router) to our port on the IMP. I had some trouble getting that one going again because the ACC ECU manuals were ... disjoint: simple recipies for setting DIP switches (with no explanation of why), and a complete schematic in the back, which was useless to me because I'm not an EE, but the documented switch settings for our desired setup didn't work. ACC sent two engineers to our site from Santa Barbara to solve the problem - the senior one was the last engineer to issue an Engineering Change Order (ECO) on the ECUs.

To bring this back to a Unix context, that sort of "spoofers in the middle" was also the shtick of Telebit Trailblazer modems for the UUCP "g" protocol in UUCP/USENET days - 19.2Kb/s in one direction at a time, and the modems "knew" the "g" protocol and spoofed it for maximum speed in one direction, which was the way UUCP worked too: file transfers were handled one direction at a time, and just ACKs coming back. Internally, they effectively provided an optimized UUCP tunnel atop their quite tenacious Packetized Ensemble Protocol (PEP).

	Erik

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-16  6:38           ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-07-16  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

segaloco wrote:
> This looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for:
> http://9legacy.org/9legacy/doc/simh/v8

Thanks!

> That said, your original posting mentions the PDP-11, but also
> "Berkeley Unix Nodes". For the latter, do you mean VAX?

Yes, they are VAX-11/780 SIMH instances running 4.1BSD + MIT patches.

> I don't know whether V8 ran on PDP-11 or not, but if that's your
> intent, you may want to start with a 2.xBSD or V7 as a base instead.

The Chaosnet documentation says there were PDP-11 Unix V7 nodes on the
network.  That code has not been found though.  Same goes for VAX/VMS.

* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-16 14:05             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-07-16 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society