The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-04  0:13 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-08-04  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Hi All,

Is this the only bootable 3bsd distribution tape we have?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Install%20tapes/3%20BSD/3bsd.tap.bz2/download

I don't like the idea that sourceforge is the only source, the
provenance is unclear and I'm just not a big fan of how sourceforge
handles downloads generally.

I've found tarballs, but not tapes on TUHS.

Thanks,

Will

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-04  4:41 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-08-04  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 6:13 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is this the only bootable 3bsd distribution tape we have?
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Install%20tapes/3%20BSD/3bsd.tap.bz2/download
>
> I don't like the idea that sourceforge is the only source, the provenance
> is unclear and I'm just not a big fan of how sourceforge handles downloads
> generally.
>
> I've found tarballs, but not tapes on TUHS.

The TUHS stuff matches what we have on Kirk's CDs.

And it looks like one could build a boot tape from what's in sys in the
tarball.  It has the usual standalone files that look like V7 files.

There's usr/man/man8/sysgen.8

sysgen \- UNIX system generation from the distribution tape

I've not tried to grab that tape to see if it has the same bits as in the
archive.

Warner

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-04 17:17   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-08-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 8/3/23 23:41, Warner Losh wrote:

> The TUHS stuff matches what we have on Kirk's CDs.
>
> And it looks like one could build a boot tape from what's in sys in
> the tarball.  It has the usual standalone files that look like V7 files.
>
> There's usr/man/man8/sysgen.8
>
> sysgen \- UNIX system generation from the distribution tape
>
> I've not tried to grab that tape to see if it has the same bits as in
> the archive.
>
> Warner

Hi Warner,

I would love to be able to recreate the bootable tape(s) from what we
have available (the tarball) and document that process along the way. In
the setup manual, it says:

    The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level
    programs, along with source and
    manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files
    altogether. The first tape file contains boot-
    strapping programs. The second tape file is to be put on one
    filesystem called the ‘root filesystem’, and
    contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the
    system to run. The third tape file has all of
    the source and documentation. Altogether the files provided on the
    tape occupy approximately 40000 512
    byte blocks

Taking this apart, it seems like:

    The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level
    programs, along with source and
    manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files altogether.

Refers to everything in 3bsd.tar.gz  - 4130 files.

And this:

    The first tape file contains boot-strapping programs.

Refers to the files in sys:

    boot  mkfs  restor  rp6fmt  rpread

And this:

    The second tape file is to be put on one filesystem called the ‘root
    filesystem’, and
    contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the
    system to run.

Refers to everything except /usr/src and /usr/doc.

While this:

    The third tape file has all of the source and documentation.

Refers to /usr/src and /usr doc.

If I'm understanding things, this means I would create three tape images
- one with just the 5 files in sys and that's it, the second with
everything except for /usr/src/ and /usr/doc, and the third with just
/usr/src and /usr/doc. The first tape would have blocksize 512, the
other two, 10240. I could then use any of the plethora of maketape
scripts around to put the tape together.

In looking at what was done previously, it looks like the root fs was on
the tape as a dump, whereas the usr files were on the tape as a .tar.
Why not just have root and usr as .tar on the tape?

Thanks,

Will

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-04 19:50     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-08-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

below...

On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 1:17 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/23 23:41, Warner Losh wrote:
>

> The TUHS stuff matches what we have on Kirk's CDs.
>
> And it looks like one could build a boot tape from what's in sys in the
> tarball.  It has the usual standalone files that look like V7 files.
>
> There's usr/man/man8/sysgen.8
>
> sysgen \- UNIX system generation from the distribution tape
>
> I've not tried to grab that tape to see if it has the same bits as in the
> archive.
>
> Warner
>

> Hi Warner,
>
> I would love to be able to recreate the bootable tape(s) from what we have
> available (the tarball) and document that process along the way. In the
> setup manual, it says:
>
> The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level
> programs, along with source and
> manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files altogether. The
> first tape file contains boot-
> strapping programs. The second tape file is to be put on one filesystem
> called the ‘root filesystem’, and
> contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the system to
> run. The third tape file has all of
> the source and documentation. Altogether the files provided on the tape
> occupy approximately 40000 512
> byte blocks
>
> Taking this apart, it seems like:
>
> The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level
> programs, along with source and
> manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files altogether.
>
> Refers to everything in 3bsd.tar.gz  - 4130 files.
>
> And this:
>
> The first tape file contains boot-strapping programs.
>
> Refers to the files in sys:

I think not sys but /stand

> boot  mkfs  restor  rp6fmt  rpread
>
> And should have a boot block on it - with the standalone system -- this
is right from V7 and I thought 32V but I have forgotten - BTW - this tape
file will have a block size of 512 bytes because of how it is used and boot
roms will read 512 bytes at time.

> And this:
>
> The second tape file is to be put on one filesystem called the ‘root
> filesystem’, and
> contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the system to
> run.
>
> Right - the standalone system is used to create the root FS and the
standalone restore to recreate the root [it's 20B or 10240 byte blocked]
because by now you have a read device driver in either the standalone
system or UNIX itself do blocking factors can be handled.

> Refers to everything except /usr/src and /usr/doc.

What worries me a little is V7 had a dump format of /usr at this point -
the rootfs did not have enough space for the everything in /usr such as
/usr/{bin,lib,share...} and much less doc and src.

> While this:
>
> The third tape file has all of the source and documentation.
>
> Refers to /usr/src and /usr doc.

That makes sense in that it allows everyone some one to read these two
without having to ferret it from a restore/dump format.

> If I'm understanding things, this means I would create three tape images -
> one with just the 5 files in sys and that's it, the second with everything
> except for /usr/src/ and /usr/doc, and the third with just /usr/src and
> /usr/doc. The first tape would have blocksize 512, the other two, 10240. I
> could then use any of the plethora of maketape scripts around to put the
> tape together.
>
> In looking at what was done previously, it looks like the root fs was on
> the tape as a dump, whereas the usr files were on the tape as a .tar. Why
> not just have root and usr as .tar on the tape?

Tar is easier when trying in read mode, particularly if you only one want a
couple of files/directors.   Dump/restore is fine for a complete FS at a
time.
Given just the src and doc directories, wanting to read the doc and source
from that tape on another system -- say 32V or V7, tar makes it easier.

Clem
ᐧ

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-28 23:03 ` Phil Budne
From: Phil Budne @ 2023-08-28 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: will.senn, tuhs

I got curious, and decided to try booting the 3bsd tape image:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Install%20tapes/3%20BSD/3bsd.tap.bz2/download

I didn't try building anything

Install instructions viewable (once installed, or from
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/3bsd.tar.gz) via:

nroff -ms /usr/doc/vmunix/newsetup.t

================ 3bsd-tboot.ini

set tto 7b
; from https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_32V_on_SIMH#tboot.ini
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz lines=8
set rp0 rp06
at rp0 rp06.disk
set tu0 te16
at tu0 3bsd.tap
D 30000 20009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 3204A101
D 3000C C113C08F
D 30010 A1D40424
D 30014 008FD00C
D 30018 C1800000
D 3001C 8F320800
D 30020 10A1FE00
D 30024 00C139D0
D 30028 04c1d004
D 3002C 07e15004
D 30030 0000f750
go 30000
go 0

================ installing from tape

$ ./simh/BIN/vax780 3bsd-tboot.ini

VAX 11/780 simulator Open SIMH V4.1-0 Current        git commit id: 348f5f29
/media/INTERNAL/SCRATCH/3bsd/3bsd-tboot.ini-17> at tu0 3bsd.tap
%SIM-INFO: TU0: Tape Image '3bsd.tap' scanned as SIMH format

HALT instruction, PC: 00030033 (HALT)
=mkfs
file sys size: 7942
file system: hp(0,0)
isize = 5072
m/n = 3 500
=restor
Tape? ht(1,1)
Disk? hp(0,0)
Last chance before scribbling on disk. <RETURN>
End of tape
=boot

Boot
: hp(0,0)vmunix
61856+61008+70120 start 0x4B4
VM/UNIX (Berkeley Version 2.7) 2/10/80
real mem  = 8323072
avail mem = 8062976
ERASE IS CONTROL-H!!!
# ps ax
   PID TTY TIME COMMAND
     0 ?   0:17 swapper
     1 ?   0:00 init.vm
     2 ?   0:00 pagedaemon
     3 co  0:00 - (sh)
     7 co  0:00 ps ax
# vmstat
         Procs  Virtual Real         Page        Swap      Disk             Cpu
RQ DW PW SL SW   AVM TX  FRE  RE PI PO FR  DE  SR I O  D0 D1 D2  CS US NI SY ID
 0  0  0  3  0    80 5515518   0  0  0  0   0 0.0 0 0   0  0  0   0  0  0  0100
# chk /dev/rrp0a
icheck /dev/rrp0a
/dev/rrp0a:
files    154 (r=112,d=12,b=8,c=22)
used    1078 (i=28,ii=0,iii=0,d=1050)
free    6545
missing    0
dcheck /dev/rrp0a
/dev/rrp0a:
     entries  link cnt
1       0       0
# /etc/mkfs /dev/rrp0g 145673
isize = 65488
	(or 43147 on RM03)
m/n = 3 500
# /etc/mount /dev/rp0g /usr
# cd /usr
# cp /dev/rmt5 /dev/null
# cp /dev/rmt5 /dev/null
# tar xvbf 20 /dev/rmt1
x ./adm/msgbuf, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks

# dd if=/usr/mdec/uboot of=/dev/rrp0a bs=1b count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out

# passwd root
# sync
# sync
# sync
# <CTRL/E>
simh> quit

================ 3bsd-dboot.ini

; from https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_32V_on_SIMH#dboot.ini
; (just removed attach tu0)
set tto 7b
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz 7b
set dz lines=16
att dz -m 2311
set rp0 rp06
at rp0 rp06.disk
set tu0 te16
D 30000 00009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 D004A101
D 3000C 0400C113
D 30010 10008F32
D 30014 D40424C1
D 30018 8FD00CA1
D 3001C 80000000
D 30020 320800C1
D 30024 A1FE008F
D 30028 28C1D410
D 3002C 14C1D404
D 30030 C139D004
D 30034 c1d00400
D 30038 e1500404
D 3003C 00f75007
go 30000
go 2

================ boot from disk

$ ./simh/BIN/vax780 3bsd-dboot.ini

VAX 11/780 simulator Open SIMH V4.1-0 Current        git commit id: 348f5f29
/media/INTERNAL/SCRATCH/3bsd/3bsd-dboot.ini-15> att dz -m 2311
%SIM-INFO: Listening on port 2311
Modem control activated

HALT instruction, PC: 00030040 (HALT)

Boot
: hp(0,0)vmunix
61856+61008+70120 start 0x4B4
VM/UNIX (Berkeley Version 2.7) 2/10/80
real mem  = 8323072
avail mem = 8062976
ERASE IS CONTROL-H!!!
# <CTRL/D>
Sat Sep 27 12:51:17 PDT 1980
entering rc
clearing mtab
mounting /usr on /dev/rp0g
preserving Ex temps and clearing /tmp
starting update
starting cron
leaving rc

Virtual VAX/UNIX (Ernie Co-vax)

login:

(was able to log in on console
and tty1 via telnet localhost 2311)

================ shutdown from multi-user

# kill 1
# ERASE IS CONTROL-H!!!
# sync
# sync
# sync
# <CTRL/E>
Simulation stopped, PC: 8000085F (BLBC 80010FA0,8000085F)
sim> q
Goodbye

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-29 17:18   ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-08-29 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne; +Cc: tuhs

Hi all. I made a couple of changes to 3bsd-dboot.ini so it will do the

set tto 7b
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz 7b
set dz lines=16
att dz -m 2311
set rp0 rp06
at rp0 rp06.disk
set tu0 te16
D 30000 00009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 D004A101
D 3000C 0400C113
D 30010 10008F32
D 30014 D40424C1
D 30018 8FD00CA1
D 3001C 80000000
D 30020 320800C1
D 30024 A1FE008F
D 30028 28C1D410
D 3002C 14C1D404
D 30030 C139D004
D 30034 c1d00400
D 30038 e1500404
D 3003C 00f75007
go 30000                           <-- Change below this line and note "go
2" has moved
expect "Boot" send "hp(0,0)vmunix\r";c
expect "#" send "\004\r";c
go 2

Enjoy...

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 11:11     ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-08-30 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne; +Cc: tuhs

Hi all.

Got a question. With 3BSD I have been unable to find where the time zone is
set. I have looked at
date.c, time.h and timebuf.h. In the meantime I fixed date.c to handle Y2K
dates.

I live on the east coast but the date displays the date as: Wed Aug 30
06:55:36 *PDT* 2023 Pacific time.

-Ken

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 14:48       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-08-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: tuhs

Since 3BSD is V7/V32 based - the TZ is sent in the kernel in sys/param.h
and compiled into it.
The system calls and user service calls in section 2 and 3 are seeded from
the value that the kernel returns.

The TZ environment variable was introduced in the PWB / SYS x  editions. It
was in PWB 3 and may have been
added before that.  I don't remember when the BSD stream picked it up - it
may not have been until after
the original /usr/group 1984 UNIX standard of the early 1980s - which I
codified it in their environ(5) definition.

The team in CSRG for BSD4.2 developed the time modern timezone database
that we see in most UNIX flavors at this time.
I don't remember where tzset(3) call was introduced, to be honest, it was
some time (in years IIRC)
after the TZ environment variable originally was created.
ᐧ

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 15:03       ` Phil Budne
From: Phil Budne @ 2023-08-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

KenUnix wrote:
> Got a question. With 3BSD I have been unable to find where the time
> zone is set. I have looked at date.c, time.h and timebuf.h. In the
> meantime I fixed date.c to handle Y2K dates.

Same as v7, in /usr/src/sys/h/param.h (kernel rebuild required):

#define TIMEZONE (8*60)         /* Minutes westward from Greenwich */
#define DSTFLAG 1               /* Daylight Saving Time applies in this locality */

libc has the same limitations as v7:
/usr/src/libc/gen/timezone.c timezone function (used by date)
	knows only a subset of US zone names, plus GMT.
/usr/src/libc/gen/ctime.c has hardwired knowledge of DST change dates

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 19:21         ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-08-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken.unix.guy, clemc; +Cc: tuhs

Hi Clem,

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> The team in CSRG for BSD4.2 developed the time modern timezone database
> that we see in most UNIX flavors at this time.

IIRC that was developed after 4.3 was released by Arthur David Olsen
(elsie!ado), and then incorporated into 4.3 via the patches that CSRG
sent out periodically.

I'm pretty sure I remember having to recompile libc and the various
apps to use it.  However, it was a long time ago...

Arnold

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 20:06           ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-08-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: ken.unix.guy, tuhs

below...

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 3:21 PM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> IIRC that was developed after 4.3 was released by Arthur David Olsen
> (elsie!ado), and then incorporated into 4.3 via the patches that CSRG
> sent out periodically.

You are probably right .. better memory. I knew it became widespread in a
BSD stream, but I did not realize it was donated to CSRG.
Thanks.

But the key point is that the timezone DB development and inclusion in UNIX
systems was much, much later in UNIX time and long after 1984 /usr/group
standard, where the use of the TZ variable began to spread to make it
easier for end users.

As Phil and I pointed out to Ken's original question, the V7-based systems
compiled the TZ info (number of minutes west of GMT) into the kernel and
supported a couple of primarily USA-based TZs in time(3) and the like.
 Which makes changing it for the local user a tad more complicated.   Then
again, you had the sources in those days, and at least the system
administrator recompiled the core kernel from scratch. [I remember Joy once
saying he thought rebuilding the entire system from the source at each site
was a good thing because that way, binaries were not stale].

Anyway, the placing of the TZ string into a program's environment was
pushed by the UNIX vendors, of course, because they were not releasing
binaries.
Thus, by the time of the TZ=xSTdyDT convention, the time(3) family was a
bit more flexible [*i.e.,* most of Europe was easily supported] - but you
still needed to know what to set it all to.

It was only much later, when the timezone DB code was created, that it
became easy to set the timezone in a more worldwide scheme.

ᐧ

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 20:07           ` Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 2023-08-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: ken.unix.guy, tuhs

https://sources.vsta.org/comp.sources.unix/volume4/settz March 7 1986
Looking at https://sources.vsta.org/comp.sources.unix/index.txt there are
several time/localtime packages that came after that.
elsie!ado always had funny .signature lines.

* [TUHS] Re: 3bsd tape image
@ 2023-08-30 20:34             ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-08-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Salz; +Cc: tuhs