The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-21 10:11 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-09-21 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When you say MIT you think about ITS and Lisp.  That is why emacs IMHO
> was against UNIX ideals.  RMS was thinking in different terms than Bell
> Labs hackers.

Very different. Once, when visiting the Lisp machine, I saw astonishingly
irrelevant things being done as first class emacs commands, and asked
how many commands there were. The instant answer was to have emacs
print the list. Nice, but it scrolled way beyond one screenful. I
persisted: could the machine count them? It took several minutes of
head-scratching and false starts to do a task that was second nature
to Unix hands.

With hindsight, I realize that the thousand emacs commands were but a
foretaste of open-source exuberance--witness this snippet from Linux:
	!ls /usr/share/man/man2|wc
	    468     468    6766
Even a "kernel" is as efflorescent as a tropical rainforest.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-21 17:23 ` Mutiny
From: Mutiny  @ 2017-09-21 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

meanwhile the efflorescence grows (Fedora 26) to    482     482    7000From: Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu>Sent: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:41:41To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.orgSubject: Re: [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!...With hindsight, I realize that the thousand emacs commands were but aforetaste of open-source exuberance--witness this snippet from Linux:   !ls /usr/share/man/man2|wc       468     468    6766Even a "kernel" is as efflorescent as a tropical rainforest.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-21 20:15   ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-09-21 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21/09/2017, Mutiny <mutiny.mutiny at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> meanwhile the efflorescence grows (Fedora 26) to
>    482     482    7000

> From: Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu>
> With hindsight, I realize that the thousand emacs commands were but a
> foretaste of open-source exuberance--witness this snippet from Linux:
>   !ls /usr/share/man/man2|wc
>       468     468    6766

Hhmmm... On Solaris 10/sparc:
  wc /usr/share/man/man1/wc.1
     138     467    3053

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-18 15:11                   ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-09-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,  I suppose those of
us who worked on Unix should be very flattered.  I just wish they had
imitated the programming style and sense of taste.  The gcc
 _manual_ is 500 pages -- bigger than the entire Unix distribution.
The options alone are almost 100 pages.  The average line in the
source code is an ifdef of some machine you've never heard of.  If
you are doing anything the slightest bit unusual (e.g., increasing the
default stack size) you need a different option for each machine
target.  Hmm, I thought the point of C was to be portable...

I recently started using clang, and I'm never going back to gcc.  I
feel so much cleaner now...

Steve

From: Clem Cole @ 2017-09-18  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> OK, let's hit the reset button on this one.

​I agree,   Warren said something similar...​

> I'm happy that the GNU
> ​ ​
> project exists, I benefit from it every day.

​ditto.​

> I am explicitly stating
> ​ ​
> that I appreciate all of the work that people have done as volunteers,
> I'm one of them.

​And I'll add, we as a community owe a huge thank you to all of them,
particularly many smaller less known folks that have helped out over the
years.  I wish I could thank them all specifically.

I'll give RMS, Len and original GNU team credit for one really important
thing that happened early on.   It really was the getting a C compiler out
that there that worked (sort of) for so many systems.  This was the key
enabler more than anything else.  The C compiler that anyone could get,
that was freely available, was the watershed moment for all us.  [
​
​And Larry's right, the
 fact the Tiemann mopped up an
​d​
really move
​d​
it from being a toy to being something that was pretty creditable, it what
made the project actually have a
​ long term​
life
​]​
.​
​   If we had not had the compiler, almost all other project would not have
happened.

By getting a compiler that covered the primary architectures being used and
was quickly moved to so many OS's and generated 'good enough' code for so
many folks - we have the options we have today.

The only other compiler at the time, that could have done the same things
was Andy's Amsterdam Compiler Kit (which when it came out, was considered a
"better" compiler)​, but it had a small pay wall.  And 'free' as in 'beer'
was the important difference when it all started.

Like many of other Christiansen style disruptions.... 'worse' technology
was valuable and got better.   And the GNU C disrupted the order in the
software industry.

@ 2017-09-18  0:12                     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-18  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 02:43:33PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> On 9/16/17 9:43 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > I stand by my comment.  I'm friends with the Cygnus folks, they would
> > tend to agree with me I think.
> >
> > All that stuff you listed, can you list the things that the GNU/FSF
> > people have funded?  Because I think there is close to nothing.  All of
> > that stuff is stuff that came under the GNU umbrella but they didn't do
> > the coding.
>
> Is that the only criterion? Whether or not someone got paid directly by
> the FSF to do something?  Because there are lots of tools that were
> originally written by people funded by the FSF and then handed off to
> people like me: volunteers who donate our effort.
>

> > I give credit to RMS for the GPL, that was cool.  But claiming credit
> > for stuff that GNU/FSF didn't do was not cool.
>
> Denigrating the work of volunteers who explicitly donated their effort
> and talent to the FSF is not cool.

OK, let's hit the reset button on this one.  I'm happy that the GNU
project exists, I benefit from it every day.  I am explicitly stating
that I appreciate all of the work that people have done as volunteers,
I'm one of them.

What I'm not a fan of is Stallman getting people to put stuff under the
GPL and then acting like he/FSF wrote the code.  He still claims credit
for GCC to this day and the Stallman GCC was *nothing* like a Ken C
compiler, it was junk.  Tiemann at Sun and then Cygnus, did the real work
to make that thing actually be a reasonable program.  Don't believe me?
Go find a pre-Tiemann GCC and try and compile any reasonable program
with it.  As someone else pointed out, emacs wasn't RMS, it was Gosling.
RMS has a track record of starting stuff, hijacking stuff, and claiming
credit.  That is what I don't like.  I like the GNU project just fine,
I'm not a fan of people claiming credit for stuff they didn't do.

I really soured on on RMS when the FSF took my ls -h/du -h code and
"rewrote" it so they would not have to give me credit.  That's pretty
petty.  He did it because he hated me because BitKeeper wasn't open source
enough for him and the kernel was using it.  So he wanted to scrub the
GNU source base of any of my contributions.  So I stopped contributing.

I'll leave you with a story from the Cygnus days, I was friends with
all three founders.  I was having dinner with Gumby and Michael and
we were discussing RMS.  It was RMS this, RMS that.  Gumby's wife is
German and at one point she says "OMG, you mean RMS!".  We say "yeah?"
She says all this time I thought you were saying "Our mess".  We paused,
replayed the conversation, and were sort of stunned that every sentence
made sense with "our mess".

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-17 19:33                           ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2017-09-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The history of UNIX and its ilk fascinates me, but only half of it is
> technology.  The other half of it is a bizarre forty-year-long license
> war, which the partisans refuse to stop fighting, even after they win.
>
> Yea...

Even discussions about GPL are viral!

@ 2017-09-17 19:22                         ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-09-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/17/17 2:57 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 02:49:16PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
>>
>> I remember multiple FSF efforts to solicit volunteers for named projects.
>> There were lots of people willing to donate their time and effort. And
>> at that time, there were very few non-FSF projects licensed under the GPL,
>> so the issue of "absorbtion" was minor to non-existent.
>
> But that time changed, and was replaced by a time where the FSF pushed
> hard on copyright assignment to the FSF, and led to a time where we
> wound up with GPL, GPL2, GPL3, AGPL, LGPL, ad infinitum, which landed us
> in the present day, where half the tech organizations on earth are so
> unwilling to step into the morass that BSD/MIT licenses are making a big
> comeback.

This is all true, though I would argue that the "copyright assignment to
the FSF" was there from the beginning, and concealed by the fact that
the early work was directly funded by the FSF before being handed off.
Certainly they asked me for a copyright assignment early on, and this is
almost 30 years ago. There just weren't that many objections.

I would also argue that the different versions of the license were the
result of people asking for exceptions or clarifiations, and the FSF
attempting to accommodate them.

There's no question that the GNU project is at least as much of a social
policy effort as a technology one. You can't leave either one out of any
history.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-17 19:08                         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-09-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm at sciops.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 02:49:16PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> >
> > I remember multiple FSF efforts to solicit volunteers for named projects.
> > There were lots of people willing to donate their time and effort. And
> > at that time, there were very few non-FSF projects licensed under the
> GPL,
> > so the issue of "absorbtion" was minor to non-existent.
>
> But that time changed, and was replaced by a time where the FSF pushed
> hard on copyright assignment to the FSF, and led to a time where we
> wound up with GPL, GPL2, GPL3, AGPL, LGPL, ad infinitum, which landed us
> in the present day, where half the tech organizations on earth are so
> unwilling to step into the morass that BSD/MIT licenses are making a big
> comeback.

FreeBSD started out life with lots of GNU/GPL software. After GPLv3 was
released, the project made a conscious effort to move away from all GPL'd
software in the tree. When FreeBSD 12 comes out next year, there's a really
good chance all the GPL'd code will be gone from the tree.

> They've spent so much time trying to 'fix' international patent law by
> clubbing people with copyright licenses that the company behind the most
> popular linux distribution is working on a BSD-licensed kernel.

Fun times, that....

> The history of UNIX and its ilk fascinates me, but only half of it is
> technology.  The other half of it is a bizarre forty-year-long license
> war, which the partisans refuse to stop fighting, even after they win.

Yea...

Warner

@ 2017-09-17 18:57                       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-09-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 02:49:16PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:

> I remember multiple FSF efforts to solicit volunteers for named projects.
> There were lots of people willing to donate their time and effort. And
> at that time, there were very few non-FSF projects licensed under the GPL,
> so the issue of "absorbtion" was minor to non-existent.

But that time changed, and was replaced by a time where the FSF pushed
hard on copyright assignment to the FSF, and led to a time where we
wound up with GPL, GPL2, GPL3, AGPL, LGPL, ad infinitum, which landed us
in the present day, where half the tech organizations on earth are so
unwilling to step into the morass that BSD/MIT licenses are making a big
comeback.

They've spent so much time trying to 'fix' international patent law by
clubbing people with copyright licenses that the company behind the most
popular linux distribution is working on a BSD-licensed kernel.

The history of UNIX and its ilk fascinates me, but only half of it is
technology.  The other half of it is a bizarre forty-year-long license
war, which the partisans refuse to stop fighting, even after they win.

khm

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-17 18:49                     ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-09-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-17 18:43                   ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-09-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-17 18:37                 ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-09-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-17 18:31 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-09-17 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

arnold at skeeve.com:

> This not true of ALL the GNU project maintainers.  Don't tar everyone
> with RMS's brush.

John Steinhart:

  What are we supposed to to then?  cpio?

===

I guess we're supposed to tp his house.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
                                 ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-09-17 18:25               ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-09-17 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/15/17 11:40 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:

> As well it should be.  My colors are showing here, but I'm really sick
> of the FSF slapping their name on other people's work.  If Stallman
> wants it to be called GNU/Linux let him write a kernel.  He didn't,
> he can't, yet he wants credit.  I got pretty disgusted back in the day
> when everything that was GPLed suddenly became a GNU project.  The GNU
> guys have written very, very little code.
>
> They are all about the license, which is fine, but I get off the bus
> when they are claiming credit for work they did not do.

You are associating not having a lot of paid employees with not having a
lot of people do work under the FSF banner. That's not close to true.

It's true that the FSF had few full-time employees. They worked off
grants.

It's not true that these folks didn't produce a lot of work: they did.

It's true that the volunteers who donated their work to the FSF did so
fully understanding what they were doing. Arnold and I have first-hand
experience here.

It's true that there were a number of projects that petitioned to come
under the FSF umbrella, and were accepted.

It's not true that everything released under the GPL became part of the
GNU project and was listed on www.gnu.org/software.

I get that you don't like the FSF model, but the organization and its
volunteers produced -- and continue to produce -- a significant body of
good work. Linux as people think of it today (no, it's not just a kernel)
really wouldn't exist without it.

@ 2017-09-17 14:27                         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-09-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 08:14:47PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com>
> wrote:

> > > What are we supposed to to then?  cpio?
> > >

> > I think libarchive has largely replaced all that and understands zip,
> lzh,
> > etc.
>
> I think you missed Jon's joke.  If you want more of that, check out this
> thread:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/70arwl/i_am_john_
> cleese_writer_actor_and_tall_person_ama/

I think you missed my "Why can't we all get along" moment :)

@ 2017-09-17  5:19                   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-09-17  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

RMS wrote GCC initially.  And Emacs if that's what you use. And GDB
initially as well. RMS did Texinfo (even if you don't like it yourself,
it's a very nice markup language).

Bash, gawk, sed, grep, coreutils were (and still are) maintained by
unpaid volunteers, true, but they all were started for the GNU project.
(Bash in the early days may have been funded by the FSF.)

You're welcome to stand by your comment, but --- as a GNU maintainer for
close to 30 years --- I think you paint with too broad a brush.

More than enough said,

Arnold

@ 2017-09-17  5:13                     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-09-17  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-09-16 18:55, Jon Steinhart wrote:

> > This not true of ALL the GNU project maintainers.  Don't tar everyone
> > with RMS's brush.
>
> What are we supposed to to then?  cpio?

pax posixana!

Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-17  2:18                       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-17  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-17  2:14                     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-09-17  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-17  1:55                   ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-09-17  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 01:20:00PM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> This not true of ALL the GNU project maintainers.  Don't tar everyone
> with RMS's brush.

What are we supposed to to then?  cpio?

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-17  1:43                 ` Larry McVoy
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-17  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
---

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-16 19:20               ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-09-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-16 18:19                 ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2017-09-16 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 16, 2017, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> RMS hates UNIX.   That was clear in the original manifesto.

There can be some truth in it -- after all he came from MIT, which was
anti-unix as much as you can get.

When you say MIT you think about ITS and Lisp.  That is why emacs IMHO
was against UNIX ideals.  RMS was thinking in different terms than Bell
Labs hackers.

--Andy

@ 2017-09-16 12:59               ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-09-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

RMS hates UNIX.   That was clear in the original manifesto.   But he's also
a megalomaniac and believes that if you even use a GNU tool your work
becomes his.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-16  7:45               ` Steve Nickolas
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-16  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 05:35:35PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>>> It's right there in the name "GNU" as well.  There's a whole generation
>>> of computer people out here for whom bash and gawk are fossilized in
>>> their substrata, and they get mad when someone suggests maybe other
>>> tools exist.
>>
>> The use of "GNU" as in "GNU/Linux" is something that was pushed by
>> Stallman and the Free Software Foundation, and actively abosed, or
>> mostly ignored by the majority of the Linux community.
>
> As well it should be.  My colors are showing here, but I'm really sick
> of the FSF slapping their name on other people's work.  If Stallman
> wants it to be called GNU/Linux let him write a kernel.  He didn't,
> he can't, yet he wants credit.  I got pretty disgusted back in the day
> when everything that was GPLed suddenly became a GNU project.  The GNU
> guys have written very, very little code.
>
> They are all about the license, which is fine, but I get off the bus
> when they are claiming credit for work they did not do.

The GNU Project has a kernel, The HURD, but iirc, it's still as unusable
now as it has been for decades.  Which is why Linux wound up being the
de-facto kernel of the GNU system, even while The HURD is still their
official kernel.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-16  3:40             ` Larry McVoy
                                 ` (3 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-16  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-15 20:34                         ` Chris Torek
From: Chris Torek @ 2017-09-15 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Forget ports!  /usr/src is bad enough.  Running buildworld, it takes
>longer to build the flippin' compilers (llvm) than it does to build the
>entire rest of the OS.  This is not progress.

Common thread: LLVM is written in C++.

(Also, at some point during compilation, at least some versions
grow quite big, using 20 GB of RAM or whatever.  And C++ is hard
on the linkers as well...)

Chris

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-15 19:56                         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-09-15 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

huh. Time to build all of plan 9 -- libraries, commands, windowing system,
all kernels -- was always a few minutes. It was really annoying -- people
just assumed there
was not much capability there because it took less time to build than to
run an autoconf on GNU tools :-)

I wonder what Ken was doing wrong?

(fwiw, the Ken C compilers were a wonder -- they did not link against the C
library, they just made the system calls directly, malloc was defined to
brk(), and there was no free() -- and the code is tiny)

It's nice to see the kenc spirit still alive in the Go toolchain --
although that makes sense, since the up through 1.4 or so the go toolchain
was derived from ken c :-)

ron

@ 2017-09-15 19:50                       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-09-15 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-15 19:01                     ` Chris Torek
From: Chris Torek @ 2017-09-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>My DEC Rainbow running Venix (v7 port) takes about 15 hours to build the
>bits of the v7 tree that build on it.

In the spirit of complaining about compile times :-) ... I like to
build my freebsd ports tree from source.  Every time webkit2 needs
an update, my box (which I admit is no longer super-fast, but is
not exactly slow either) takes well over three hours to grind
through it, using all eight cores.  (I never timed it, I always
just left it to its own devices after a while.)

Much of this can be blamed on the complexity of compiling C++
in general (the "best type" matching rules are not simple).

Chris

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-15 14:04               ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-15 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:40:27PM -0400, Ron Natalie wrote:

> Frankly, I don't give a hoot about what the FSF or especially RMS cares
> about.   RMS used to show up at my house on a regular basis, and I spent
> time in the early FSF with some of the people I really respected other than
> RMS (like Len Tower).   RMS while condemning everybody else, cares little
> about other than himself and his sociopathically depraved views of the way
> the world should be.    And as Forrest Gump would say "Tha'ts all I have to
> say about that."

Amen.  Not a fan.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-15  1:40             ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-09-15  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-15  0:47                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-09-15  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> How hard would it be to replace linux with FreeBSD or plan9?
> I guess linux->plan9 is progressively less and less h/w
> support more and more fun to hack on the kernel!

whatever go runs on, u-root will run on, but there are places we had to use
Linux-specific stuff (e.g. netlink) that you'd have to write code for or
you won't get thinks like the ip command or dhcp client, and so on.

@ 2017-09-14 23:14                     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2017-09-14 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> First off, this sounds cool! One nit pick though...
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> It takes about 15 seconds to compile all the tools at present.
>
> If you want to replicate the old-school Unix experience, you'd need it to take more like 15 hours to compile all the tools :)
>
> My DEC Rainbow running Venix (v7 port) takes about 15 hours to build the bits of the v7 tree that build on it. I don't have the sources to Venix, but a long-term project is to recreate them using the compiler supplied and comparison to the binaries shipped...

You can do better than your old-school Unix experience with a pi and linux :-)
On the 1st gen RasPi the linux kernel took 10+ hours to build from scratch.
In contrast the plan9 kernel took one minute. The equivalent of FreeBSD's
"make world" for plan9 took 4 minutes. IIRC half of it was for ghostscript.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-14 23:06                   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2017-09-14 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 3:52 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The u-root project (u-root.tk) is aimed at creating the *nix tools in Go. The targets are firmware where linux and an initramfs are loaded; and root file systems.
>
> One goal was to get back to old school unix where the root always included the source to create the commands. In the non-firmware mode all the sources are there
> and they are compiled on demand, save for the 4 go tooclhain binaries and /init.
>
> It takes about 15 seconds to compile all the tools at present.
>
> We've got a demo OS for Chromebooks based on u-root called NiChrome (NiChrome is an alloy of Chrome). This was a summer project for 2 interns here. It helped show that the idea can work to support an OS distro.
>
> We've also shown that linux and a u-root initramfs can replace most of UEFI firmware on the Open Compute Platform nodes, reducing boot time from 8 minutes to 17 seconds. Not as fast as the 3 seconds I'd like but you gotta start somewhere, and most of that time is beyond our control.
>
> We can always use help if you're interested. I'm ok with C for kernels but don't want to use it again in user mode, hence this

Nice!

@ 2017-09-14 23:04                   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-09-14 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-14 22:52                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-09-14 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

don't want to use it again in user mode, hence this project.

ron

@ 2017-09-14 22:39               ` Erik Berls
From: Erik Berls @ 2017-09-14 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

> On 09/14/17 21:52, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
> > I never managed to pull it off, but I tried creating a full live Linux
> > environment based on musl, clang, Heirloom Toolchest and
> > OpenBSD/NetBSD sources.  The idea was that I wanted to make a "Real
> > Unix" that happened to have Linux as its kernel.  (It also would have
> > run the CDE as its default desktop.)
>

> I, too, was toying with the idea of creating a NetBSD distribution which
> uses the Linux kernel and NetBSD userland.
> I very much like the concept of going to /usr/src and typing "make
> build" (or "make world" on FreeBSD) and have the
> whole base system rebuilt.
>
> I've played with Gentoo Linux which also builds from source, but I found
> it too complicated (for me, at least). On the
> BSDs it's just Makefiles, and no strange python (or whatever) scripts to
> build the system.
>
> Maybe when I'm retired and have plenty of time...
>
> regards,
> chris
>
> --
-=erik.
--

@ 2017-09-14 22:03             ` Christian Groessler
From: Christian Groessler @ 2017-09-14 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-14 21:35           ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2017-09-14 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:39:05PM -0700, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:15:32PM -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> >
> > Isn't that pretty much just Lennart Poettering and his fan club?
> >

> It's right there in the name "GNU" as well.  There's a whole generation
> of computer people out here for whom bash and gawk are fossilized in
> their substrata, and they get mad when someone suggests maybe other
> tools exist.

The use of "GNU" as in "GNU/Linux" is something that was pushed by
Stallman and the Free Software Foundation, and actively abosed, or
mostly ignored by the majority of the Linux community.  See [1] if you
want more details on that whole mess.  Of the distributions, I believe
only Debian has adopted the use of GNU/Linux in their official
documentation, but it's not used by most Debian users or developers
from my experience.

I'll also note that Debian has pushed to use /bin/dash, as their
default /bin/sh, and not /bin/bash, to try to make Debian's shell
scripts to be more portable.  (And for speed reasons, since dash is
faster than bash).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

				- Ted

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-14 19:52           ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:15:32PM -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>>> Maybe some are deluded like that.  But the more typical case (and I saw
>>> this personally not just on "the Internet") are those who actively and
>>> consciously disdain Unix, and want Penguin kernel based systems to move
>>> to a completely new and different userland, free from any links to Unix
>>> history.
>>>
>>> And we should stop assuming they're kidding when they say so openly.
>>>

>> Isn't that pretty much just Lennart Poettering and his fan club?
>
> It's mostly Lennart Poettering and his fan club, but it's also
> important to remember that Unix was not perfect.
>
> For years, I've been ranting about the telldir/seekdir interface, for
> which JFS has three b-trees that have to be updated for every
> directory operation --- one of which was added *just* because of
> telldir/seekdir.  Other file systems make other design choices or go
> through other bits of hell just because of telldir/seekdir, but
> assuming a 32-bit cookie which must survive potentially indefinitely,
> with the readdir "will return file names exactly zero or one times"
> guarantees required by POSIX, is rather hellish.
>
> Or, say the atime update requirement, which can be a performance
> killer, and for which the default on Linux violates Posix, and so I
> suppose it technically isn't allowed to use the Unix trademark anyway.
>
> I'm sure the Plan 9 folks could come up with other Unix shortcomings.  :-)
>
> 	   	       	     	     	    - Ted

I never managed to pull it off, but I tried creating a full live Linux
environment based on musl, clang, Heirloom Toolchest and OpenBSD/NetBSD
sources.  The idea was that I wanted to make a "Real Unix" that happened
to have Linux as its kernel.  (It also would have run the CDE as its
default desktop.)

One thing I did come up with was, if I were to pull it off, it would be a
Linux distribution that rightfully could NOT be called, by any means,
"GNU/Linux" - and some heads would explode.

(I still want to do it, but I remain at a loss as to execution.)

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-14 19:39         ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-09-14 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-14 19:30         ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2017-09-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-14 16:15       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-14 16:11     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-09-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-13 23:22   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-13 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> I just want to say that Dennis Ritchie was "a scholar and a gentleman".
> He was always warm, polite, friendly, and down to earth, both in his
> correspondance with me, and in direct conversation the few times I
> talked to him in person at USENIX conferences.  He helped out A LOT when
> I had Unix history questions for whatever books I happened to be
> writing.

He was at an AUUG conference in Sydney, and although I never got to shake
hands with him (he had too many fans around him, and I had a home and a
wife to go back to, not to mention two cats), he struck me as being the
perfect gentleman.  Mr. and Mrs. Ritchie, you raised a damned good son...

> Not only to me, of course, but he was that way with everyone. He also
> had a warm sense of humor, and was very active in the TUHS and Unix
> history preservation.

Agreed.

@ 2017-09-11 16:30   ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-09-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/8/17, William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com> wrote:
> If it wasn't for Unix, it possibly would have been VMS on Alpha... Or OS/2.
> Early Windows 3.x wouldn't have cut it.
>
> Perhaps without the Unix workstations DEC might have survived.
>
> Interesting alternate history...

Clem Cole and I could go on for pages on why DEC went out of business.
But it's pretty much off-topic for this list.

SUN captured the workstation market from Apollo and DEC because they
managed to sell workstations cheaper than their competitors.  I don't
think that the OS being UNIX had very much to do with it.  But using
UNIX probably lowered SUN's software development costs, and no doubt
that contributed to their lower workstation cost.

What ultimately did in DEC was missing the PC wave.  PCs did the same
thing to the minicomputer and workstation companies that minicomputers
did to mainframes in the 1970s.  PCs offered equivalent (or better)
capabilities at much reduced cost.  First they ate the word processor
market (remember Wang?) and then minicomputers and workstations.  UNIX
workstation manufacturers such as SUN suffered the same fate as DEC at
the hands of the PC.  UNIX did not save them.

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-11 16:20             ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-09-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/9/17, Lawrence Stewart <stewart at serissa.com> wrote:
> What, you didn’t like IBM 2741 terminals that mechanically locked the
> keyboard?

In the business world, these terminals were typically half-duplex and
attached 4 or 8 (or more) to a control unit that communicated with the
computer using bisynch protocol.  It's like a telephone party
line--only one terminal can communicate with the computer at a time.
The remainder were locked out. [Note that Ethernet works pretty much
the same way.]  If you wanted to talk to the computer, you pressed the
"Request" key.  This caused the control unit to send an interrupt to
the computer, which in due course would then unlock your terminal and
talk to you.  This works out OK for transaction processing, but it's
not a good fit for interactive time-sharing.

-Paul W.

@ 2017-09-10  9:44 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-09-10  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-10  1:27               ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-10  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, Steve Johnson wrote:

> Part of that problem was probably electronic, not software.   Many of
> the early terminals were half-duplex.  The normal mode was that the
> terminal typed what came over the line, and the keyboard was locked.  If
> you wanted to let the terminal send data, you needed to send a control
> character to unlock the keyboard, and then another one to lock it when
> you wanted to send data again.

Aah, well I remember the times that I felt like leaning over to hit
the Big Switch on our 360/50, when the console jammed...

That was the Blue Button, of course, not the Red Switch (we weren't
allowed to pull that).

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09 21:56             ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-09-09 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Part of that problem was probably electronic, not software.   Many
of the early terminals were half-duplex.  The normal mode was that
the terminal typed what came over the line, and the keyboard was
locked.  If you wanted to let the terminal send data, you needed to
send a control character to unlock the keyboard, and then another one
to lock it when you wanted to send data again.

As you may know, the first PDP-11 at Bell Labs was financed by the
patent department because there were very draconian rules about
submitting patents (every page had to have exactly 50 numbered lines,
lines could not be blank, numbers must be in order, etc.)   A change
on page 3 of a 25-page patent application could mean that the whole
thing had to be retyped (yes, manually...).   That need drove a lot
of the early nroff work.  And, when upper/lower case terminals became
common, many still had half duplex interfaces.    When the Unix
software got good enough, it started to get used by real typists, who
were used to electric typewriters.  There was bitter complaint about
the half duplex (keyboard lock) mode -- the typists were so fast that
when the keyboard locked they could break their fingernails!  Full
duplex pretty much solved that problem, and Unix, as far as I
remember, embraced it earlier than most other systems.

Steve

PS:  The Usenix publication ";login:" got its name because that's
what a half-duplex system wrote for the login message when viewed on a
full duplex terminal.  The ; and : were actually control
characters...

[1] mailto:ches at cheswick.com
[2] mailto:scj at yaccman.com

-------------- next part --------------

@ 2017-09-09 20:33           ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2017-09-09 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-09 19:40             ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-09 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> TOPS-10 allowed type-ahead, with the caveat that if a program exited with an
> error, it would intentionally clear the TTY buffer. Something I actually
> sorely miss.

That's actually a nice-ish feature.

> IIRC, the type-ahead buffer was only around 80 characters. If you exceeded
> it, it beeped at you ;)

Reminds me of the 15-key buffer in the PC BIOS, which also beeps if you
run out.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09 17:49           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-09-09 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-09 17:26           ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-09 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, William Cheswick wrote:

> Amen.  There were a number of things that really sucked at the time.
> My least favorite: time sharing systems that didn’t allow type-ahead.
>
> Kids these days...

Oh geez. That sounds pants-on-head special.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09 15:55         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-09-09 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

below...

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:

> ​...​
>  At the time, the IBM 360 required that you run a special job step to
> create a file (we're talking punched cards here).  And then you had to pull
> that job step out of the deck because trying to create a file that already
> existed was an error.

​Point taken and sort of...TSS/360 and MTS was not (quite) as bad (although
it could be if you use the batch processing system), but Steve is right...
the idea of persistence was really not something people considered as
'easy' because it usually cost them money (real or allocated from the
computer center).

So I suspect part of it was the economics of storage at time.   On line
(magnetic) storage  was way more expensive than cards.   Its has been
pointed at the the original PDP-7 Ken used did not have a disk on it, it
was custom special DEC's CSS group had splicing a PDP-15 disk to it.  The
disk unit itself was manufactured by someone else (as were most/many of
DEC's disks for years).

Clay Christensen in "*The Innovator Dilemma" *has curves that actually
start a few years later when he studies the disk drive industry.   But its
the just part of the same effect he is talking about.

The key is the what UNIX was doing was not considered practical by the
mainframe folks, so people did not consider it.  It was a resources to be
protected (and to an extent, hoarded maybe).   Moore's Law, et al, was the
engine that allowed the UNIX innovation to really see light.  The way the
mainframes were doing things just did not make functional sense, but until
it was economical to do it otherwise - we were stuck.

As Steve says... it really was mind blowing for making things like this
easy.

Clem

@ 2017-09-09 15:41         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-09-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 03:13:30PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2017, William Pechter wrote:
>
> >Perhaps the Prime OS or perhaps Domain OS from Apollo would have been the
> >workstation of the tech world.
>
> I almost worked for Pr1me once (I worked next door to them in North Sydney);
> what stopped me was their notion that "1" was a prime number (yes, I'm a
> mathematician)...
>
> >Apollo had a lead on Sun back in the day.
>
> I used to work for Sun, and we hated Apollo :-)

Mr Yacc might like this story.

Before I worked for Sun I worked for Lachman (porting Unix to the ETA-10)
and the dev environment there was apollos served by a Sun 3/280 file
server.

I was fresh out of school, interviewed with Lachman for this job, they
sort of let me believe I'd be doing the VM system for this weird ass
machine that was basically a cluster with a huge (at the time) 2GB
"shared" memory that was bcopy only.  Seemed like a fun project.

I got there and they said "Um, you know, we have someone with more
than zero years of experience working on the VM system.  How about you
port all the commands?"  Crushed me was like "Really?" They said "Really".

Sigh, whatever.  So what I quickly learned was weird about this machine
was that native pointers pointed at bits.  The compiler writers were all
like "fuck that, we point at bytes" but they had to have a way to get to
real pointers so they decided that if you did

	char	*p = &whatever;
	int	i = (int)p;

the assignment of a pointer into an int did the shift to point at the first
bit of that byte, and the other way shifted the other way.  Got it?  Ints
held "real" pointers and pointers held byte aligned pointers.  It was weird,
yes.

The unfortunate side effect is that

	char	*p = malloc(10);

caused a shift if you didn't include malloc.h.  Because the compiler thought
malloc was returning a bit pointer so it "kindly" did the shift for us.

This quickly became a pattern.  Here is what I did:

First, and this is the apollo part, I ported the cross compiler from the
apollo environment to SunOS.  Because compiling on the file server was
faster in two ways: (a) local file system instead of NFS and (b) the Sun
was way way faster than those stupid apollo machines.  And the Sun was
real Unix.  The port caused all sorts of fuss because I wasn't part of
the compiler team, I had to write a tool that diffed the binaries produced
by the Sun with the ones produced by the apollos to show that the only
difference was in the a.out header that had a timestamp or something.

Second, and this is the part that Steve might like, I hacked lint suck
that when it complained about type mismatches it wandered around until
it got to the base types and printed out

	type mismatch: "INT" vs "POINTER"

which wasn't that easy, I didn't really understand the guts of lint.
I think those changes did wind their way back into Sys V lint somehow,
I had nothing to do with it, maybe someone from Lachman fed them back
or maybe the Sys V people redid them on their own.

OK, so now I lint all of /usr/src/cmd and I wrote an awk script (perl
wasn't around yet and awk worked fine) that looked for any int/pointer
mismatch, edited the file, and included every header I could think of
that declared some library function that returned a pointer, string.h,
malloc.h, etc.  I iterated a few times (this was an overnight thing,
I'd come in in the morning and see that I forgot some more, add them
to the list, restart the script).

Finally I get a clean lint run and I start up a compile run, fix up
a few remaining things (there were surprisingly few, it was an easy
port) and I've got a built /usr/src/cmd installed on piper1, my
test machine.  I go to my boss and say "I'm done".  Note that all of
this stuff, getting onboarded, porting the compiler, wacking lint,
linting, compiling, took about 3 weeks.  I was a busy little beaver :)

My boss goes "yeah, right.  Hey, Mike, go look at piper1 and see what
kind of a mess we have".  Mike goes off and comes back, gives me a
weird look, and says "He's right, he's done".  Sort of, we didn't have
tty's yet so vi didn't work, we didn't have a kmem driver so ps didn't
work (which was *really* annoying), etc.  But awk worked, find worked,
ls worked, all that stuff worked.

My boss says "get out of here, let me think about this".

I come back in the next day, go to my boss (Bob Palm if any of you
know him, great guy) and he says "You can go home, we'll just pay
you".  Turns out that Lachman had budgeted for 6 months to do the
/usr/src/cmd port and it didn't look good to have me sitting around
doing nothing.

I, being the nerd that I am, said "Do you mind if I stick around if
I'm doing work?"  Bob says "Go for it, you can do whatever you want
if you look busy".

And there began the most awesome 6 months of my life.  I wrote
my own version of ps and a /dev/ps driver that was a dumbed down
version of /dev/kmem, because I was too clueless to write a kmem
driver.  People used that ps for a long time until someone did a
real kmem driver.

I wrote the Unix side of the disk driver, which sounds hard but
wasn't, this thing had I/O channels that had their own processor
so it was more like writing a http client or something, just in
the kernel.  The real driver was in the I/O channel, all I had to
do was learn how to talk to the I/O channel.  And it was a polling
driver, no interrupts, there was some hardware glitch with interrupts
or something, whatever the reason, I just polled so it was easy.
Shitty perf but easy.

I ported all of the Lachman STREAMS TCP stack.  If I recall correctly
shorts weren't shorts, they were u32.  So all the

	unsigned short	port;

became

	unsigned short	port:16;

I remember the stack being the biggest job, there were some things
that turned out to be tricky, long forgotten.  Oh, I bet anything
a lot of it was the networking drivers.  I know some of it was
me banging on stuff but I think there were some driver issues as
well, I didn't work on those, I'm not much of a device driver person.

After all this I got sent to Japan with 3 source tapes, the base system
that included all of /usr/src/cmd and everyone else's stuff that had
sort of been approved for integration, a version of the tree with big
pages, and the version of the tree that had the networking stack in it.

I was sent to the Tokyo Institute of Technology (TIT) and I was the techy
guy, they sent me with another Sun 3/280 and two Sun 3/50 (screw that
apollo crud) and told me to set up a dev environment and merge those
source trees.  So of course the server was installed as "bigtit" and
the 3/50's as "lefttit" and "righttit" which lasted until the Japanese
folks figured out what those meant.

I was there for 3 months, doing the merge wasn't easy and then other
problems cropped, again with the drivers if I remember correctly.
So the folks back in St Paul were sending me stuff, I was merging it,
building, installing, testing, reporting back what didn't work, and
that went on for quite a while.  Eventually it worked and home I
went.  Lost a bunch of weight because I didn't like sushi at the
time and there weren't a lot of good alternatives that kept my
weight up.  Fun times.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09 13:04         ` William Cheswick
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: William Cheswick @ 2017-09-09 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-09 11:19       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> On 8 Sep 2017 18:28 -0400, from usotsuki at buric.co (Steve Nickolas):
>> Heck, even MS-DOS 2 as we knew it would not have been what it was,
>> were it not for Unix.
>
> Wasn't it MS-DOS 2 that introduced such advanced features as
> directories, pipes and general console I/O redirection?

For varying degrees of "pipes"; it implemented them with a temp file.  But
yes, and that's exactly what I was referring to - it took those features
from Xenix.  The API is pretty much as Unixlike as you could get on top of
the INT21 interface and on a single-tasking system, I think.

> Of course most software that ran on top of DOS broke much of the
> redirection niceness by addressing the console directly via video
> memory access...

Of course.  But those kinds of programs often weren't the kind you'd want
to redirect anyway.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09 11:04     ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-09-09 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09  5:13       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-09  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-09  4:34       ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-09-09  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not sure that the file and directory structure was all that
innovative (after all, the biologists had been doing that kind of
thing forever...).  But the file as a lightweight
flick-of-the-wrist-create-able entity was mind blowing.  At the time,
the IBM 360 required that you run a special job step to create a file
(we're talking punched cards here).  And then you had to pull that
job step out of the deck because trying to create a file that already
existed was an error.   In the GE/Honeywell time sharing system, you
had to invoke a subsystem that asked you 8 or 10 questions (name, what
device was it on, how big is upon creation, how big could it grow to,
what was its record size, etc.).   It stored up your answers and then
handed them to the OS.  It was easy to get a question wrong, in which
case it sent you back to the beginning to do the dance again.  Most
telling, when the file was finally created the subsystem exited with
the happy message "Successful!"

For people used to that world, "echo hello >hi" was literally jaw
dropping.  Many people had to have it explained twice, because they
literally could not conceive of a file being created so easily.  I
had worked in the computing center for a couple of years, and probably
gave more than my share of demos to mainframe users...

Steve

PS:  It was about this time that a survey of the mainframe computer
centers found that over 50% of the (costly, limited) disc space
consisted of trailing blanks of 80-column card images stored on
disc.

From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-09  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017, William Pechter wrote:

> Perhaps without the Unix workstations DEC might have survived.

Sigh :-)  RSTS, RSX-11[MD], Pick, VMS, etc; they've all taken on Unix, and
I've been privileged to see them all off :-)

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-09  1:16     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2017-09-09  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-08 23:11     ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2017-09-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

If no Unix... No Mac OSx or Linux or *BSD.

Linux came from the Posix spec.  OSx came from a Unix personality on Mach...

Perhaps the Prime OS or  perhaps Domain OS from Apollo would have been the workstation of the tech world.

Apollo had a lead on Sun back in the day.

Bill
Bill

@ 2017-09-08 22:28   ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-09-08 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-08 22:13   ` Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2017-09-08 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

You also would have Mac OS, Linux,etc

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com> wrote:

> If it wasn't for Unix, it possibly would have been VMS on Alpha... Or
> OS/2.  Early Windows 3.x wouldn't have cut it.
>
> Perhaps without the Unix workstations DEC might have survived.
>
> Interesting alternate history...
>
> Bill

@ 2017-09-08 21:14 ` William Pechter
                     ` (2 more replies)

@ 2017-09-08 21:09   ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-09-08 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-08 21:05 ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-09-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seconded.

Who knows, may we wouldn't even have Windows.

@ 2017-09-08 21:04 ` Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-09-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > Just think, if it wasn't for him and Ken, we'd all be running Windoze,
    > and thinking it's wonderful.

It's actually worse than that.

We'd be running a Windows even worse than current Windows (which has managed
to pick up a few decent ideas from places like Unix).

	Noel

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Dennis Ritchie!
@ 2017-09-08 20:54 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (3 more replies)