The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03  5:19 Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2023-09-03  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

I’ve been playing around trying to link the OpenSolaris launch commit to various pieces in the Unix History Repository, and it’s making me wonder if we’ll ever have a chance to see the history of the systems.

I’m less concerned about HPUX, AIX and SCO’s offerings since I presume someone has copy inside these companies. But what about A/UX, Irix, Tru64? Did these ever get sold with licenses to source tapes? Are there copies we need to preserve in-camera so something can exist 120 years after creation or whenever copyright expires?

--
Joseph Holsten
http://josephholsten.com

* [TUHS] Re: Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03 10:42 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2023-09-03 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

Note that most UNIX was protected by Trade Secret rather than copyright
so there’s no statutory expiration date.

We were contractors for IBM so we had XENIX and AIX sources in our
facility under NDAs, so I don’t believe IBM dealt with it other than
OCO.
I did have a license for the source code for Interactive Systems IS/1
but that was a fairly straight forward System V kernel.

* [TUHS] Re: Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03 11:25 ` Andrew Warkentin
From: Andrew Warkentin @ 2023-09-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 9/2/23, Joseph Holsten <joseph@josephholsten.com> wrote:
> I’ve been playing around trying to link the OpenSolaris launch commit to
> various pieces in the Unix History Repository, and it’s making me wonder if
> we’ll ever have a chance to see the history of the systems.
>
> I’m less concerned about HPUX, AIX and SCO’s offerings since I presume
> someone has copy inside these companies. But what about A/UX, Irix, Tru64?
> Did these ever get sold with licenses to source tapes? Are there copies we
> need to preserve in-camera so something can exist 120 years after creation
> or whenever copyright expires?

There are source leaks for quite a few commercial Unices floating
around in various places. These are the ones I'm aware of:

A/UX (0.7, which is complete, and 2.x, which is only the kernel)
AIX 4.1.3 (most of the kernel and some of user space, possibly
complete enough to build)
BSD/OS (various versions, probably complete)
DEC OSF/1 (1.0 and 2.0; these seem reasonably complete)
DYNIX 3.x (several versions, possibly complete enough to build)
DYNIX/PTX (4.x?; possibly complete enough to build)
IRIX 6.5.5 (missing quite a few major packages and nowhere near
complete enough to build)
MIPS RISC/os 4.52 (possibly complete)
SGI System V GL2-W3.7 (for the IRIS 3000 68K machines; probably complete)
SunOS 4.1.3 (seems to be the complete base system)
System V for the 3b2 (several 3.x versions, possibly complete)
System V for the UNIX PC (3.51, possibly complete)
System V/386 4.2 (possibly complete)
ULTRIX-11 (at least 3.1)
ULTRIX-32 (2.0, which has been confirmed to build by someone else, and
4.2, which is also fairly complete)

I haven't looked at any of these in depth, so I'm not completely sure
of the status of any of them except for A/UX and ULTRIX

* [TUHS] Re: Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03 12:40   ` Marc Donner
From: Marc Donner @ 2023-09-03 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Warkentin; +Cc: tuhs

My team at Morgan Stanley had a source license to SunOS in the early ‘90s.
We tried to secure a license to AIX source but never succeeded.

@ 2023-09-03 15:09     ` Andy Wallis
From: Andy Wallis @ 2023-09-03 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Donner; +Cc: tuhs

On 2023-09-03 08:40, Marc Donner wrote:
> My team at Morgan Stanley had a source license to SunOS in the early
> ‘90s.  We tried to secure a license to AIX source but never
> succeeded.

We had access to the AIX source at my work place. The AIX 3.2.5 source
delivery included a build machine because we had requirements to be able
to support and redistribute AIX 3.2.5 for up to 20 years. As I recall,
it required a lot of high level negotiations between us and IBM to get
that.

Access was limited to select people on an air-gapped machine. The source
code itself was locked away on 8mm tape and required signatures to check
it out.

IBM did have a public announcement letter for AIX 3.2.5 source access.
http://bio.gsi.de/DOCS/AIX/ENUSZP93-0158.printable.html

We also had access to the various AIX versions that we had to support
our government customers. I know we had access to AIX 4.3.3, 5.1,5,2,
and 5.3 source code. One of our developers would fix bugs that he found
and file PMRs to tell the AIX developers what exactly to fix. A strip
command change to support very large executables took 18 months for them
to fix because they didn't understand why failing to strip very large
binaries was a problem.
-Andy Wallis

* [TUHS] Re: Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03 15:48   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-09-03 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

On Sun, Sep 3, 2023, 4:42 AM Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Note that most UNIX was protected by Trade Secret rather than copyright
> so there’s no statutory expiration date.

But only so long as they remain secret... there are a few leaks of early
stuff in bitsavers... the leader broke the law, perhaps, but once the
secret is out there, its no longer secret. See the 32V preliminary rulings
for variations on that theme. System V and newer did have copyright
protection as well as trade secret contract stuff...

It isn't hard to find at least one copy of most of the major and many minor
players. It's fair use to copy for study and commentary. But building a
full system for commercial benefit is not.

We were contractors for IBM so we had XENIX and AIX sources in our
> facility under NDAs, so I don’t believe IBM dealt with it other than
> OCO.
> I did have a license for the source code for Interactive Systems IS/1
> but that was a fairly straight forward System V kernel.

Several variations on that are out there...

What isn't out there are the full source code control trees. At least Sun
distributed them. But so far only a symlink farm for that has been found.

Warner

* [TUHS] Re: Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?
@ 2023-09-03 15:59   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-09-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Warkentin; +Cc: tuhs