zsh-workers
* About MODDIR (again...)
@ 2001-10-25 12:45 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado @ 2001-10-25 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

    Hello all :))

    I've downloaded and tested zsh 4.0.3, and I have the
same suggestion: is really needed to install modules onto
/usr/lib/zsh/4.0.3/zsh/? For me it has no sense: /usr/lib/zsh
is empty except for directory '4.0.3'. But this directory is
empty too. It only contains 'zsh', which contains the modules.

    Is necessary such a long hierarchy just for keeping the modules.
At least the last 'zsh' is not needed (IMHO), and the version number
should be made optional for systems with just one version of zsh
installed. For removing the last 'zsh' only a few makefiles need to
be edited, and for the rest... Well, if MODDIR could be chosen thru
the 'configure' script, all this matter will vanish.

    Why is it hardcoded? I don't know :? Will I really break
something if I replace MODDIR by hand? Please let me know...

    Please excuse me asking again the same, but I really don't like
not having control over where my packages deploy its files ;))))

    And thanks again for a new version of Zsh. You're great :)))

    Raúl

* Re: About MODDIR (again...)
@ 2001-10-25 13:17 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2001-10-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?unknown-8bit?Q?Ra=FAl_N=FA=F1ez?= de Arenas Coronado; +Cc: zsh-workers

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
>    I've downloaded and tested zsh 4.0.3, and I have the
>same suggestion: is really needed to install modules onto
>/usr/lib/zsh/4.0.3/zsh/? For me it has no sense: /usr/lib/zsh
>is empty except for directory '4.0.3'. But this directory is
>empty too. It only contains 'zsh', which contains the modules.

All zsh files go under /usr/lib/zsh.  The /usr/lib part is configurable
using the --libdir option to configure.

The version number is in there to avoid the serious problems that
would result from having two different versions sharing modules (which
wouldn't work).  Even if you only have one version installed at a time,
the separate directories are necessary during an upgrade.  If you *really*
don't need the version tag, it is possible to modify zsh not to use it;
if you know enough to know that you don't need the version tag then you'll
know enough to be able to work out how to do it.  If you don't know your
system that well then you'll probably run into trouble from dropping the
version tag; this is why we don't make it easy or provide instructions.

The final "zsh" component is part of the hierarchical module name system.
There is, for example, no "files" module any more, there's a "zsh/files"
module.  Third-party modules would go into a different directory, under
the version directory and alongside the "zsh" directory.

-zefram

* RE: About MODDIR (again...)
@ 2001-10-25 13:25 ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2001-10-25 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raъl Nъсez de Arenas Coronado', zsh-workers

>     I've downloaded and tested zsh 4.0.3, and I have the
> same suggestion: is really needed to install modules onto
> /usr/lib/zsh/4.0.3/zsh/? For me it has no sense: /usr/lib/zsh
> is empty except for directory '4.0.3'. But this directory is
> empty too. It only contains 'zsh', which contains the modules.

Modules are installed into /usr/lib/zsh/$ZSH_VERSION. The modules names
are zsh/foo.

Not that I believe we ever get another top-level name part (given
interpretation of Zefram).

>     Is necessary such a long hierarchy just for keeping the modules.
> At least the last 'zsh' is not needed (IMHO),

It is part of module name. You must have module as zsh/complist inside
of directory in $MODULE_PATH else it won't be found.

and the version number
> should be made optional for systems with just one version of zsh
> installed. For removing the last 'zsh' only a few makefiles need to
> be edited,

No. Much more needs to be edited because Zsh modules are referred to as
zsh/something in many places.

 and for the rest... Well, if MODDIR could be chosen thru
> the 'configure' script, all this matter will vanish.
>
>     Why is it hardcoded?

It is not hardcoded. I think, it was explained once already.

It is possible to add --with-moddir=... configure parameter that will
override default $libdir/zsh/$VERSION. The final zsh part cannot be
removed without major redesign and it is not going to happen for 4.0 in
any case.

>     Please excuse me asking again the same, but I really don't like
> not having control over where my packages deploy its files ;))))

You have. Do you request autoconf maintainers to give control ove final
part in  /usr/share/autoconf as example?

-andrej

* Re: About MODDIR (again...)
@ 2001-10-25 19:21 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado @ 2001-10-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dervishd, zefram; +Cc: zsh-workers

    Hello Zefram :)

>>is empty except for directory '4.0.3'. But this directory is
>>empty too. It only contains 'zsh', which contains the modules.
>All zsh files go under /usr/lib/zsh.  The /usr/lib part is configurable
>using the --libdir option to configure.

    I knew that, but I wanted to install the modules as
/usr/lib/zsh/module*, and --libdir won't do ;))

>The version number is in there to avoid the serious problems that
>would result from having two different versions sharing modules
>(which wouldn't work).

    Yes, it is necessary for that, but, with just one version?

>Even if you only have one version installed at a time,
>the separate directories are necessary during an upgrade.

    Oh, yes, I didn't think about it... I upgrade 'by hand'.

>The final "zsh" component is part of the hierarchical module name
>system. There is, for example, no "files" module any more, there's a
>"zsh/files" module.

    Ok, then :) Thanks for the explanations :))

    Raúl

* RE: About MODDIR (again...)
@ 2001-10-25 19:13 Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado @ 2001-10-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)