zsh-workers
* gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-15 13:47 Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-12-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs

Hi everyone,

Just an observation.  Since I submitted a question on the mirrors back in
January
I keep a copy of all 3 repositories. I manually run a script that updates
all of them
from time to time. What I have noticed is(at times) gitlab may take a
couple of
days(maybe more) to be in sync with the other two. Most of the time all
three seem
to stay in sync. As an example for the last couple of "my day times":

sourceforge:  zsh-5.9-88-g6d49734d4
github: zsh-5.9-88-g6d49734d4
gitlab: zsh-5.9-85-g67d4bf5bb

Don't know if this is an issue or a procedural thing. Just my observation.
Thought I would let you know in case there may be an issue. If this is
normal,
sorry for the noise.

Again, thanks to all for your work on zsh.

Regards,

Jim Murphy

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-15 19:01 ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-12-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs

Ignore last message.  Sorry for the noise. A new clone is fine.  Started
working with
worktrees and am guessing my local repository is in some state that I
haven't figured
out yet. Something else I need to learn about git. Again, sorry for the
noise.

Jim

@ 2022-12-15 21:26   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-12-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Actually, I do wonder why we don't use GitLab's built-in mirroring
thing.  Perhaps in order to allow people to submit completion patches to
either GitHub or GitLab at their choice?

Also, while looking into your report I ran into a GitLab message that I
wouldn't have seen otherwise, so, thanks.

Daniel

@ 2022-12-16 21:04     ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-12-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs

Hi again,

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. That's what happens when I try
doing things after getting a flu and covid shots(side effects: fever -
chills -
aches - sleepy). Way better than the flu or covid.  :-)

Anyway, to test, started a new terminal and shell and ran the attached
function.
The function clones all three repositories in the /tmp directory.
The results are as follows:

github
LogFileName: /tmp/zsh_git_repos/github/clone_error_log
return code:  0

zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded

gitlab
LogFileName: /tmp/zsh_git_repos/gitlab/clone_error_log
return code:  0

zsh-5.9-85-g67d4bf5bb

sourceforge
LogFileName: /tmp/zsh_git_repos/sourceforge/clone_error_log
return code:  0

zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded

As you can see from the output of the git describe command, gitlab does not
give
the same result as the other sites.

git log starts with:

commit 67d4bf5bb936a5b95160410b4790f2bf4113c75f (HEAD -> master,
origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com>
Date:   Mon Dec 12 10:30:13 2022 +0000

    51134: ! return doesn't change the return status

So unless I'm missing something, or still suffering the side effects of the
flu and
covid shots, it appears to indicate that gitlab isn't up to date.

I would appreciate it if someone could run the function and verify if they
get the
same results.

Thanks and Regards,

Jim

[-- Attachment #2: clone_zsh_repos --]

clone_zsh_repos () {
  emulate -L zsh
  setopt extendedglob
  local     E N P R RDN V
  local -a  D Rs URLs
  D=( '' '' zsh )
  P=${1:=/tmp/}
  RDN=zsh_git_repos/
  Rs=(github/ gitlab/ sourceforge/)
  URLs=(
    https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh.git
    https://gitlab.com/zsh-org/zsh.git
    git://git.code.sf.net/p/zsh/code
  )
  [[ ! -d $P$RDN ]] && mkdir $P$RDN
  for N ({1..${#Rs}}) {
    print '\n'${Rs[N]%/}
    [[ ! -d $P$RDN$Rs[N] ]] && mkdir $P$RDN$Rs[N]
    cd $P$RDN$Rs[N]
    print URL: $URLs[N]'\n'LogFileName: $P$RDN${Rs[N]}clone_error_log
    git clone $URLs[N] $D[N] 2>$P$RDN${Rs[N]}clone_error_log
    E=$? ; cd $OLDPWD ; print "return code:  $E"
    [[ $E -eq 0 ]] && { print ; cd $P$RDN$Rs[N]zsh && git describe ; cd $OLDPWD }
  }
  # vim : ts=2 sw=2 sts=2 sta ai et ft=zsh :
}

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-17 19:57       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-12-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtechguy; +Cc: devs

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 1:05 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com> wrote:

> github
> zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded
>
> gitlab
> zsh-5.9-85-g67d4bf5bb
>
> sourceforge
> zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded

I think this is because Oliver and/or Daniel is/are manually updating
gitlab, so its always going to be one attention-span behind.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 1:26 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Actually, I do wonder why we don't use GitLab's built-in mirroring
> thing.  Perhaps in order to allow people to submit completion patches to
> either GitHub or GitLab at their choice?

How would where the patches are submitted affect this?  We're always
going to apply them back on the sourceforge origin.  Conflicting
patches for the same completion?

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-17 20:14         ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-12-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs

Bart Schaefer wrote on Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:57 +00:00:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 1:05 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> github
>> zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded
>>
>> gitlab
>> zsh-5.9-85-g67d4bf5bb
>>
>> sourceforge
>> zsh-5.9-91-g1de8baded
>
> I think this is because Oliver and/or Daniel is/are manually updating
> gitlab, so its always going to be one attention-span behind.

Not me.  Oliver?

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 1:26 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I do wonder why we don't use GitLab's built-in mirroring
>> thing.  Perhaps in order to allow people to submit completion patches to
>> either GitHub or GitLab at their choice?
>
> How would where the patches are submitted affect this?  We're always
> going to apply them back on the sourceforge origin.  Conflicting
> patches for the same completion?

I'm not worried about conflicting patches; that possibility comes
with the territory.

Rather, I was wondering whether "make <this> GL repository a mirror of
<this> GH repository" might delete GL heads corresponding to merge
requests (MRs), since they don't exist on the GH end being pulled from.
(Cf. rsync's --delete option)

Now, I'm not even sure whether the lag observed this week was a one-time
thing or not.  However, should we determine that the GitLab mirror's
settings need to be changed, Oliver and I can effect such changes.

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-18  1:58           ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-12-18  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: devs

I have noticed this lag multiple times, so it's not a one off.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Now, I'm not even sure whether the lag observed this week was a one-time
> thing or not.  However, should we determine that the GitLab mirror's
> settings need to be changed, Oliver and I can effect such changes.
>
> Daniel

 I have noticed this lag multiple times before, so it's not a one off.
Generally GL catches
up with the others within 24 to 48 hours AFAICT(don't have actual numbers).
But since I
manually update, and not every day, I really couldn't tell you how often
this occurs or if
there is some pattern.

Regards,

Jim

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2022-12-18 19:42             ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-12-18 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Jim wrote on Sun, 18 Dec 2022 01:58 +00:00:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
>

>> Now, I'm not even sure whether the lag observed this week was a one-time
>> thing or not.  However, should we determine that the GitLab mirror's
>> settings need to be changed, Oliver and I can effect such changes.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>  I have noticed this lag multiple times before, so it's not a one off.
>  Generally GL catches up with the others within 24 to 48 hours
>  AFAICT(don't have actual numbers). But since I manually update, and
>  not every day, I really couldn't tell you how often this occurs or if
>  there is some pattern.

More interestingly, the last commit on gitlab as of this writing is
67d4bf5bb936a5b95160410b4790f2bf4113c75f, even though another commit was
pushed on the 14th at 05:06Z.  (I'm basing this date on the sourceforge
commit emails rather than on author dates or committer dates.)

I'm not sure what does the pushes.  It doesn't seem to be documented in
the infra repository either.  Oliver, any idea why gitlab hasn't updated in 4.5 days?

Cheers,

Daniel

@ 2022-12-18 23:40               ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2022-12-18 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: zsh-workers

"Daniel Shahaf" wrote:
> I'm not sure what does the pushes.  It doesn't seem to be documented in
> the infra repository either.  Oliver, any idea why gitlab hasn't updated in 4.5 days?

It was configured so as to happen automatically. Looking now, under
Settings→Repository→Mirroring repositories, everything appears blank and
the only Mirror direction offered appears to be "Push". Documentation
also appears to mention that pulling is an Ultimate only feature. It may
have only stopped now because you logged in.

There is a programme to allow open source projects to apply for that for
free, see: https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/join/

However, I'm more inclined to delete the (now broken) mirror than jump
through their hoops.

I only ever fetched from it to get at the merge requests. A slight lag
is not something I'd ever be especially concerned about. There have only
been 16 merge requests. If we just want the extra backup, there are
other options like codeberg and bitbucket.

Oliver

* Re: gitlab out of sync with sourceforge and github repositories
@ 2023-03-06 13:42                 ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2023-03-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs