* [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20  9:37 pavlovetsky
From: pavlovetsky @ 2007-12-20  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Abaco complains about malformed URL if it contains "pipe" symbol: "|".
Any suggestions about fix?

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20  9:56 ` Federico G. Benavento
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2007-12-20  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Abaco complains about malformed URL if it contains "pipe" symbol: "|".

ok, I just tested it, webfs doesn't like '|' in urls

http://www.google.com/hola|chau: parseurl: malformed absolute path: /hola|chau

> Any suggestions about fix?

yes, see /sys/src/cmd/webfs/url.c , there must be some wrong #define in Retab

Federico G. Benavento

---
/bin/fortune:
/dev/rra13: !!counts may be wrong, RERUN chuck!

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20 11:22   ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-20 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A possible workaround is to use the encoded chars for the "pipe" symbol.

For example:

http://www.google.com/hola%7Cchau

--
Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20 18:13   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-12-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2007-Dec-20, at 02:56 , Federico G. Benavento wrote:

> ok, I just tested it, webfs doesn't like '|' in urls

That's because a naked '|' isn't a valid character in a URL.  You have
to percent-encode it (%7c).

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20 21:22     ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 20/12/2007, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> On 2007-Dec-20, at 02:56 , Federico G. Benavento wrote:
>
> > ok, I just tested it, webfs doesn't like '|' in urls
>
> That's because a naked '|' isn't a valid character in a URL.  You have
> to percent-encode it (%7c).

Does webfs do the url parsing? or abaco before sending it to webfs, if so, maybe
the function can be fixed easily.

--
Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-20 21:27       ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2007-12-20 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does webfs do the url parsing? or abaco before sending it to webfs, if so, maybe
> the function can be fixed easily.

I guess, my urlencode is broken, I'll fix it later

thanks

Federico G. Benavento

---
/bin/fortune:
Even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

* [9fans] Re: Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21  9:39   ` pavlovetsky
From: pavlovetsky @ 2007-12-21  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, if I substitute manually pipe symbol with ¨%7C¨ in URL, Abaco
takes this input as legitimate and it loads the corresponding page.
Maybe it makes sense to put small runtime substitution routine in the
Abaco code, so it will handle similar special characters as well.

Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 15:39         ` Uriel
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Uriel @ 2007-12-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That is why somebody (cough) riped out the url parsing code from webfs
and put it into a library, and then updated abaco to use that
library... but we all know here code and effort duplication is good,
so never mind.

uriel

@ 2007-12-21 16:13           ` Kernel Panic
From: Kernel Panic @ 2007-12-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Uriel wrote:

>That is why somebody (cough) riped out the url parsing code from webfs
>and put it into a library, and then updated abaco to use that
>library... but we all know here code and effort duplication is good,
>so never mind.

the browser needs to understand url-encoding anyway beacause he
he needs to touch the url (build absolute urls from relatives in context
of the fetched
page). so having the lib in abaco is ok i think.

but maybe other stuff could gain from webfs *fixing* urls. maybe some
rc-scripts where you
dont want to urlencode stuff first? for example you want to fetch a
search-result page
and dont want to urlencode your concatenated search query before passing
it to webfs?

makes that sense? ;-)

>uriel
>
>On Dec 20, 2007 4:27 PM, Federico G. Benavento <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Does webfs do the url parsing? or abaco before sending it to webfs, if so, maybe
>>>the function can be fixed easily.
>>>

>>I guess, my urlencode is broken, I'll fix it later
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Federico G. Benavento
>>
>>---
>>/bin/fortune:
>>

>>Even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 16:35           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-12-21 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 21, 2007 7:39 AM, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is why somebody (cough) riped out the url parsing code from webfs
> and put it into a library, and then updated abaco to use that
> library... but we all know here code and effort duplication is good,
> so never mind.
>
> uriel

One could argue that to the extreme.  I've already got windows?  Why do I
need another operating system?  I should be happy with my windows, and just
contribute to that community, that way, all my changes can be viewed and
used by my fellow windows users.

I mean, if you're going to be pedantic and silly about a concept, why not go
all the way?

Fragmentation of effort is bad in all cases, or it isn't bad in all cases.
 You can't have both categorically at the same time.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 16:40             ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-12-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 21, 2007 11:13 AM, Kernel Panic <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
> Uriel wrote:
>
> >That is why somebody (cough) riped out the url parsing code from webfs
> >and put it into a library, and then updated abaco to use that
> >library... but we all know here code and effort duplication is good,
> >so never mind.
> >

> the browser needs to understand url-encoding anyway beacause he
> he needs to touch the url (build absolute urls from relatives in context
> of the fetched
> page). so having the lib in abaco is ok i think.

Lets not forget javascript and other such abominations.

And that is *precisely* why having two half broken sets of URL
parsing/manipulation code, one in webfs and one in abaco is so silly.
And why I factored out the url code in webfs and put it into a liburl,
and then modified abaco link against that instead of its own
simplistic and broken URL code.

The result has been on my sources/contrib dir for ages, why fgb has
not used it is beyond me.

uriel

@ 2007-12-21 16:43             ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-12-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you are looking for obnoxiousness and silliness devoid of any
content I recommend you re-read what you just wrote.

Or you could go and write yet another broken and useless url parsing
implementation.

uriel

@ 2007-12-21 16:55               ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-12-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 21, 2007 4:43 PM, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are looking for obnoxiousness and silliness devoid of any
> content I recommend you re-read what you just wrote.

what a joy to hear such genuine expression of the Christmas spirit!

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 17:08                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-12-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 21, 2007 8:55 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007 4:43 PM, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you are looking for obnoxiousness and silliness devoid of any
> > content I recommend you re-read what you just wrote.
>
> what a joy to hear such genuine expression of the Christmas spirit!

Since this thread is now sarcastic... let me give it a go:

Uriel, THANK YOU!  Oh you're so right!  I, and everyone else on this list,
should totally always do exactly what you want.  It is wrong of us to ignore
your awesome contributions such as an URL parsing library.

I can't believe how dumb people are to not see how valuable you truly are to
us!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 18:02             ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2007-12-21 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:

> Fragmentation of effort is bad in all cases, or it isn't bad in all
> cases.  You can't have both categorically at the same time.

Ken Olsen at DEC would often give the same assignment to two teams, then have a bakeoff. Typically one of the two
resulting things would be a clear winner but would be further improved by ideas and pieces from the other.

Wes Kussmaul

--

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,

Identity is the Foundation of Security™. Let Authentrus (authentrus.com) ensure that only intended recipients receive
your confidential messages.

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 18:16                   ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2007-12-21 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 22, 2007 2:08 AM, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uriel, THANK YOU!  Oh you're so right!  I, and everyone else on this list,
> should totally always do exactly what you want.  It is wrong of us to ignore
> your awesome contributions such as an URL parsing library.

 The implication that Uriel entertains delusions of granduer is
baseless and ridiculous enough to shock me out of any intentions I
might have had to continue the sarcasm chain.
 I hope your next comment on the issue comes after identifying
something which is likely to be a problem in the future, spending some
time and effort on fixing it (since no one else has yet), witnessing
it bloom into a problem, finding that your work was entirely ignored,
and not feeling the least bit frustrated.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 18:17           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-12-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 21, 2007 7:39 AM, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is why somebody (cough) riped out the url parsing code from webfs
> and put it into a library, and then updated abaco to use that
> library... but we all know here code and effort duplication is good,
> so never mind.

I'm too slow. What on earth are you talking about? You mean, fix webfs
to use some fixed parsing library? who fixed it in the first place?
Works for me. So you're submitting a patch?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Abaco: url parsing problem
@ 2007-12-21 18:42               ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 21/12/2007, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:

> The result has been on my sources/contrib dir for ages, why fgb has
> not used it is beyond me.

I will have a look at the library, I had to "partially" implement one
for a web app
that needed to save some data into a database from a cgi. It can be useful
for me to see another implementation.

--
Fidonet: 2:345/432.2