* [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 13:54 Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-04-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''

I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!

--Devon

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 14:13 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-04-24 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr 24 09:56:24 EDT 2009, devon.odell@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
> the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
> bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
> this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
> is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
> this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''
>
> I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
> more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
> what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
> would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
> and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!
>
> --Devon

i have offered to host this year in athens, ga, home
of many things, including coraid, inc. and the univeristy
of georga.  there should be plenty of accomidations.
we are about 40 minutes outside atlanta, ga so it's pretty
easy to get to — at least from the airport.

i was thinking about 22-24 october 2009.  there was some
discussion of changing the format to include some workshop
this year.  i would like to do that, but it's not clear to me what
the format should be.  i would imagine the workshop would
start a few days before the 22 with prep taking place throughout
the summer.  since many of the likely workshop participants
are doing gsoc, perhaps the workshop can be some hands-on
with the summer's work and we can expect papers from them,
too as well as the usual suspects. :-)

if we can agree on that, i'd enjoy doing it.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 14:28 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-04-24 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There were some ideas of skipping this year and making the next IWP9
in the beginning of the next year. End of the year is a difficult time
for travel, the budgets for travel are depleted, or not if the fiscal
year starts earlier than the calendar one, not defined well enough.

    Lucho

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
> the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
> bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
> this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
> is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
> this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''
>
> I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
> more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
> what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
> would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
> and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!
>
> --Devon

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 14:34   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-04-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/4/24 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> On Fri Apr 24 09:56:24 EDT 2009, devon.odell@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
>> the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
>> bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
>> this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
>> is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
>> this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''
>>
>> I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
>> more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
>> what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
>> would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
>> and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!
>>
>> --Devon
>
> i have offered to host this year in athens, ga, home
> of many things, including coraid, inc. and the univeristy
> of georga.  there should be plenty of accomidations.
> we are about 40 minutes outside atlanta, ga so it's pretty
> easy to get to — at least from the airport.

Ok, I hadn't seen that. Similarly, I'm in Columbia, MD, which is about
15 minutes from both BWI and Reagan Int'l airports (Dulles is a bit of
a hike; perhaps more towards 40 minutes), and there are many Amtrak
stations around. Home of Message Systems (where I work, though we
don't do anything interesting with Plan 9 except listen to me
proselytize it), and a short distance away from the ``Nation's best
Crab'' (I think that's what Baltimore is calling it) and Capitol.

> i was thinking about 22-24 october 2009.  there was some
> discussion of changing the format to include some workshop
> this year.  i would like to do that, but it's not clear to me what
> the format should be.  i would imagine the workshop would
> start a few days before the 22 with prep taking place throughout
> the summer.  since many of the likely workshop participants
> are doing gsoc, perhaps the workshop can be some hands-on
> with the summer's work and we can expect papers from them,
> too as well as the usual suspects. :-)
>
> if we can agree on that, i'd enjoy doing it.

I like that format; I was thinking it would be good to see some of
these projects have presentations as well. Additionally, October is
sufficiently far in the future that it should work out rather well. I
could probably make it down to ATL; would probably only be a 3-or-so
hour flight. If you need any help with planning / logistics, that's
fine. If people would rather do it here, that's fine. If nobody needs
me to do anything, that's fine too, just trying to get the ball
rolling :)

> - erik

--dho

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:12   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-04-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Seconded - I vote for a movement until 1Q10, I think you'll get a lot
more industry participation this way.

       -eric

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> There were some ideas of skipping this year and making the next IWP9
> in the beginning of the next year. End of the year is a difficult time
> for travel, the budgets for travel are depleted, or not if the fiscal
> year starts earlier than the calendar one, not defined well enough.
>
>    Lucho
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Although I probably won't be able to go unless it's close (a.k.a. in
>> the Baltimore / Washington DC area -- which actually isn't perhaps a
>> bad idea?), the subject of an IWP9 has been brought up several times
>> this year. I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, in case anybody
>> is interested in setting it up or attending. I think the question at
>> this point is, ``Who wants to organize it, and who will attend?''
>>
>> I'm perfectly fine to organize the event, and I'm sure my office could
>> more than accommodate any interested attendees. Just kind of curious
>> what timeframes people would be interested in, and whether people
>> would be able / willing to come. If not, some discussion on the when
>> and where might not be a bad idea, anyway. Let me know!
>>
>> --Devon

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:19     ` Devon H. O'Dell
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-04-24 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/4/24 Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>:
> Seconded - I vote for a movement until 1Q10, I think you'll get a lot
> more industry participation this way.

Perhaps just a 9con then?

If response is poor on both (IWP9 / 9con) counts, I'm up for
organizing an IWP9 in 1Q10. It'd be fun in any case to put something
together. I'll try to figure some initial stuff out and see what the
rest of the general response and interest is.

What do people think about erik's timeframe versus potentially
mid-January / early February / early March 2010?

--dho

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:38       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-04-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do people think about erik's timeframe versus potentially
> mid-January / early February / early March 2010?

Speaking personally, early March tends to be bad because of potential
overlap with children's spring breaks.
(Similarly, late October tends to be bad because it overlaps with both
my wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday -- and while she was a
good shelia and shared our honeymoon with IWP9 Madrid, I don't think I
can pull many more favors on that scale again ;)

       -eric

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:41       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-04-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do people think about erik's timeframe versus potentially
> mid-January / early February / early March 2010?

Speaking personally, early March tends to be bad because of potential
overlap with children's spring breaks.
(Similarly, late October tends to be bad because it overlaps with both
my wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday -- and while she was a
good shelia and shared our honeymoon with IWP9 Madrid, I don't think I
can pull that many more favors).

I am willing to host here in Austin, TX -- we have a classroom that
seats somewhere between 50-75 that I can use, although getting
everybody through security can be a bit of a pain.  Downside is that
Austin doesn't tend to be an international hub, so its more of a pain
to get to flight wise -- doesn't seem we have any lack of volunteers
to host this year anyways, but I figured I'd put it out there for the
future.

     -eric

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:45       ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2009-04-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What do people think about erik's timeframe versus potentially
> mid-January / early February / early March 2010?

My 1¢ worth (the economy has devalued it from 2¢)
is that the time doesn't matter so much for me, since
it would probably be on my dime.  But Atlanta is a
much more feasable trip for me as it's driving distance,
and my daughter's college fund would much prefer
that over flying.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 15:53         ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2009-04-24 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As I live near Atlanta, I wouldn't mind the Athens venue. Since I'm
more-or-less local, I could pitch in to help with logistics.
-joe

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM, <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > What do people think about erik's timeframe versus potentially
> > mid-January / early February / early March 2010?
>
> My 1¢ worth (the economy has devalued it from 2¢)
> is that the time doesn't matter so much for me, since
> it would probably be on my dime.  But Atlanta is a
> much more feasable trip for me as it's driving distance,
> and my daughter's college fund would much prefer
> that over flying.
>
> BLS

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-24 16:57           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-04-24 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The good thing about atlanta: major international airport, minimizes
traveling to the IWP9 locale. I think that should be a consideration
for location. I am sure Greece was wonderful but it was pretty much
impossible for me to get to the last IWP9.

ron

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-26  5:00   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2009-04-26  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 24, 2009, at 9:13 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> i have offered to host this year in athens, ga, home
> of many things, including coraid, inc. and the univeristy
> of georga.  there should be plenty of accomidations.
> we are about 40 minutes outside atlanta, ga so it's pretty
> easy to get to — at least from the airport.

And as an added bonus... Erik will be in his time zone.  So
if anyone wants to work out ride-share or car rental details
with him he won't (most likely) show up a day before.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] IWP9 this year?
@ 2009-04-27 15:16     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-04-27 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> And as an added bonus... Erik will be in his time zone.  So
> if anyone wants to work out ride-share or car rental details
> with him he won't (most likely) show up a day before.

have faith!  i could also get the switch back to dst wrong.

- erik