* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-06  2:05 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-02-06  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do you know what is happening in Japan now as "Keitai" (NTT Docomo i-mode
in other word).  That mobile phone has ten keys, and each has
only one of "あかさたなはまやらわ"etc keytop.  Inputting Japanese
on such machine looks like a game to me.  If you want to write somewhat long e-mail, you will be much troubled.  ^_^

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-07  2:11 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-07  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: forsyth

So are these steps correct?

Edit '/lib/keyboard' as follows ...

	0451  @yo         ё	cyrillic small letter io
	20AC e$			euro dollar
	2018  l'          ‘	single turned comma quotation mark
	2019  r'          ’	single comma quotation mark

Then rebuild the kernel ...

	cd /sys/src/9/pc
	mk 'CONF=pccpudisk'
	cp 9pccpudisk /386
	9fat:
	cp 9pccpudisk /n/9fat/sdC0

After that I would reboot and everything would be cool?

Sorry if this seems basic. I am still learning.

		-Bill

@ 2001-02-06 20:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-06 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, that's right except you want to call it
9pccpud (assuming you're running a cpu server)
since the boot loader doesn't know about the
long file names.

Russ

[parent not found: <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>]
* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-06 16:44 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2001-02-06 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What is the difference between unicode symbols 20A0 and 20AC?

20A0 is an old generic "euro-currency" symbol, assigned before the Euro was
invented.  20AC is correct for the Euro.

-- Richard Miller

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-06 16:19 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-02-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What is the difference between unicode symbols 20A0 and 20AC?
Which should have which escape sequence? I'll put what's appropriate
in /lib/keyboard here but I'm not the right judge of that.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3519 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 310 bytes --]

i'd add a mapping e$ -> 20AC to /lib/keyboard and remake the kernel.
then alt e$ will produce the euro symbol as l$ produces pound sterling and
y$ produces yen.

interpreting plain alt e as euro would mess up existing mappings
because there are several alt escapes in /lib/keyboard
that start with e.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1710 bytes --]

From: William Staniewicz <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:34:03 -0500

I have been using an Italian keyboard for the last several
months. I am not concerned about remapping all the keys
since I now have gotten used to where everything is.
However, the is a Euro dollar key that I would like to
implement. Is there a simple way on Plan9 to assign this
symbol to my "e" <alt> position?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-06 13:34 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-06 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-06 11:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-02-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd add a mapping e$ -> 20AC to /lib/keyboard and remake the kernel.
then alt e$ will produce the euro symbol as l$ produces pound sterling and
y$ produces yen.

interpreting plain alt e as euro would mess up existing mappings
because there are several alt escapes in /lib/keyboard
that start with e.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1710 bytes --]

From: William Staniewicz <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:34:03 -0500

@ 2001-02-06  1:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-02-06  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you type the stem of the prononciation
>and cycle through them till you get the one you want.

I still hate to use "kana" on the keytop, and use Romaji input.  Actually, I've
never seen any scientist uses that "kana" keytop.  Those are for untrained
persons, if still there is such in Japan...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-06  1:15 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-02-06  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I remember using a computer in Israel one time.

I was much surprised to see there that my friend, incidently his name is
also Dan ^_^, typed hibble from right to left. :-)  How Plan 9 can deel with
it...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05 19:23 Ed Wishart
From: Ed Wishart @ 2001-02-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You might consider the BTC 5100.  I use one at home and work, measures
< 6 by 12 inches.  Works great with plan 9, windows, Linux.  A search
on Yahoo for BTC 5100 turned up 399 web pages.  Must be still available.
To quote paul vixie:  ``If God uses a keyboard, he uses a BTC 5100.''
(This quote is from memory)

ed

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05 18:55 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-02-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Feb  5 13:47:20 EST 2001, cross@math.psu.edu wrote:
> That said, I'd like to get my hands on one of these lexmark
> keyboards, but of course they're no longer manufactured.

you can still get them:
	http://www.pckeyboard.com/surfer.html

$89 without pointing stick, $99 with.

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05 14:44 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-02-05 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>:
	ps- what keyboards are Bell Labs folks using now, anyways?

we're still using the same keyboards we were using last time this
question came up, the old eighty-something key lexmarks; i have a
couple on the shelf in case any die. however, more of us are using
laptops as we have wireless both at work and at home so the need
to buy more keyboards is diminished. personally, i like the thinkpad
keyboard best.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05 10:34 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (Yeah, I'm ignoring the fact that in said Paris Internet
> Cafe, you were probably using an OS that expected a French
> keyboard....)

no.  the scan codes from pc keyboards do not change, just
the keytops.  then, the translation is done in s/w.  you
only really need a french keyboard if you want to type
latin-1, a superset of ascii.

i always liked the 5620 keyboard.  the sony vaio's
is pretty close to that (well my 505's is); touch,
key size and shape.

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05  8:05 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-02-05  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//I like the HHKB, except that it doesn't have a
//builtin ``view'' key...

not to be contrary, but i'm using one right now,
and yes it does. it may depend on that sliding
switch on the back - mine's all the way to the
left, when viewed from a normal typing position.
the two "diamond" keys are View and Un-View (uh,
what's that called again?). the one on the right
of the keyboard even reverses function with the
shift key, in case you have the left one mapped
to Fn or control or something.

it required a few lines in the kbtab* tables in
kbd.c. those three lines represent my first
contribution to the Plan 9 kernel, just after we
got our HHKBs.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05  7:51 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2001-02-05  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: sami

Sami Ilekti has added azerty support to the PC kernel. The last time I heard
from him, he had hacked the translation tables, and was considering a more
general way to remap the keyboard.

You can find him at sami@mime.univ-paris8.fr.

--
Jean Mehat, universite de Paris 8 Vincennes a Saint Denis,
jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr, (33) 1 4940 6403, (33) 1 4940 6783 (fax)

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-05  1:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-02-05  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is a simillar case for our JIS keyboard.  I replaced the key-mapping table in
/sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c which can be found
http:/basalt/cias/osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9/p9index.html.
However, this is of course for Japanese keyboard.  :-)

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2253 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cs.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 00:40:34 +0100

has anyone done it?

it's just a fairly simple keyboard remapping as qwerty is
pretty close to azerty.  the translation is always done
in software, from what i've seen 'cos the keyboards generate
'standard' scan codes, but the keytops are labelled differently.

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-04  0:55 rob pike
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: rob pike @ 2001-02-04  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I remember sitting in a Paris Internet café being confounded
by the miserable keyboard, in which everything was UPPER CASE
and CAPS LOCK was really SHIFT LOCK and the letters were in
different places and - worst of all - period, comma, semicolon,
and the other punctuation characters were in screwy places.
I sympathize.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-04  0:54 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-02-04  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pipefile might help, but the handling of Alt might complicate
matters and require a teeny bit of help in the kernel.  You could
easily build a special PC-only raw keyboard file and use pipefile
to connect a special processor to that, but then you introduce
problem of bypassing special code in devcons.c.  The most
satisfactory way might be to provide a mapping operation in
devcons.c, like the button swapper in the mouse code, that
accepts pairs to exchange, like this:
	az
	za

-rob

* [9fans] azerty [french] keyboard support
@ 2001-02-03 23:40 Boyd Roberts