* Re: [9fans] newbie question
@ 2006-02-07 17:14 Riza Dindir
From: Riza Dindir @ 2006-02-07 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc; +Cc: 9fans

But as far as I remember, it gave me an error
regarding the permissions or something like that.
But I am not sure... I will post the error messages,
or any other messages as soon as I can get them.

Russ Cox wrote:
> > riza: we still haven't seen any error messages. do
> > you mind sending
> > those to the list?

> specifically, what is the exact output that you get
> from running:

> ls /sys/lib
> ls /sys/lib/newuser
> /sys/lib/newuser

> russ

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Newbie Question
@ 2019-12-16 18:00 Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2019-12-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I am trying as an experiment to set up a small plan9 cluster as a set of
computers in a VMWare environment.

I am using the latest 9front distribution, and currently have two VMs
booting plan9 with one network adapter each, on a private network (not
connected to the internet or to the host computer), with no DHCP being
provided by VMWare, and am attempting manual isolated configuration for now.

As far as I can tell, I was able to get an auth server running, booting
off its own installation, with authentication enabled on its
filesystem.  It comes up without the window system running (as a cpu
server) and "keyfs" is among the processes which are listed when I run
"ps"; I was able to use auth/changeuser to create user accounts for the
hostowner users "glenda" (for my file server) and another account for my
auth server, and was able to arrange for secstored to start with the
system (from cpurc) and that seems to be working - I also created
accounts in there to match the two I created with auth/changeuser, and
both accounts are defined on the filesystem. If I do "ps | grep listen"
I see five processes running: two owned by the host owner and three by
"none".

I have a second system set up which I intend to be the file server (more
storage space) and I can successfully use "rcpu" to access the auth
server from that one.  The file server is still booting as a terminal
rather than a cpu server, and I created matching user accounts (newuser)
on the filesystem on the file server.

The last part of the /lib/ndb/local file on the file server looks like this:

auth=fingers authdom=9cluster

ipnet=9cluster ip=192.168.81.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0

     fs=cabinet

     tftpd=cabinet

     auth=fingers

     authdom=9cluster

     dnsdomain=9cluster

# file server

sys=cabinet ether=005056301268 ip=192.168.81.10

     dom=cabinet.9cluster

# auth server

sys=fingers ether=00505635c452 ip=192.168.81.12

     dom=fingers.9cluster

As I understand it, the next step would be to enable authentication on
the file server.  I do this by rebooting, adding -c to the bootargs and
at the "config:" prompt entering "noauth" twice, then "end".

When I try to do this, I am getting this set of messages:

mount: auth_proxy: auth_proxy read fd: authread: auth protocol not finished

mount: mount /root: authread: auth protocol not finished

followed by a list of partitions then a new prompt for bootargs

I am interpreting this to mean that I missed something in my
authentication configuration, but after trying several things, I am a
bit lost on how to proceed with this.

Can someone point me in the direction of what I might be missing?

Thank you!

* [9fans] Newbie question
@ 2009-04-21 17:35 philo565
From: philo565 @ 2009-04-21 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Although I did use Plan 9 about a year ago I never got around to learning much about it...

so finally re-installed it a few days ago...
and now see that I've forgotten quite a bit of the little I knew.

Upon trying to run abaco I get an error message that

lib/font/bit/lucidasans/passwd.6.font  is missing

I do recall that I ran into that same situation
a year ago ...and I do recall solving the problem...
but I can't recall the solution

When I try to copy the needed font to the
lucidasans folder I simply get an access denied message

Could someone be kind enough to remind me how I gain access
to protected folders such as /lib and /bin

Thank you

Free quote and debt consolidation information.  Click Here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsHDMOggVVpqYqqZIOjHIUxLCgel9UqznHTxU39DK6cwZaGK9KG5Ha/

* Re: [9fans] Newbie question
@ 2007-05-28  4:28 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2007-05-28  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	mount -c /srv/x mountpoint
> of
> 	bind -c dir mountpoint
> says that this is the file system in which new files should be created.
> Needless to say, you can only do one -c mount or bind per mountpoint.

A mountpoint can surely accept multiple binds/mounts with "-c", can't it?

* [9fans] Newbie question
@ 2007-05-23 18:25 Fabrizio Colalucci
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabrizio Colalucci @ 2007-05-23 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,
       I'm a newbie in Plan 9.
My problem is that I need to copy some files to the root ("/")
directory, but when I try that, the system returns:

cp can't create /<filename>:
'/<filename>' mounted directory forbids creation

I know (or better, I think) it's a permission problem,
so how can I do to write in that directory?

Thanks to everybody in advance.

* [9fans] Newbie question
@ 2006-12-05 11:35 Markus Sonderegger
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Markus Sonderegger @ 2006-12-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some
time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.

But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid one.
Is it posible to run Plan9 without the gui? I don't like this "mouseish" work style.

Regards

[parent not found: <20060207134101.GA435@routi.local.net>]
* [9fans] newbie question
@ 2006-02-07 13:10 Riza Dindir
From: Riza Dindir @ 2006-02-07 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski wrote:

[...]
> that terminal is where you're supposed to run
> /sys/lib/newuser. do
> you get an error when you do that?

> /sys/lib/newuser populates your directory creating
> bin/ lib/ and tmp/
> and copying a standard lib/profile in it. it is
> this file that sets
> up your environment.

> if, for whatever reason you can't get
> /sys/lib/newuser to go, try
> this by hand:

> mkdir /usr/user1/bin
> mkdir /usr/user1/bin/386
> mkdir /usr/user1/bin/rc
> mkdir /usr/user1/lib
> mkdir /usr/user1/tmp
> cp /usr/glenda/lib/profile /usr/user1/lib/profile
> cp /usr/glenda/bin/rc/* /usr/user1/bin/rc

> that should give you the same start menu as glenda
> (without the first
> email she has).

Why do we need to do this manually?

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] newbie question
@ 2006-02-07 13:07 Riza Dindir
From: Riza Dindir @ 2006-02-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Nils O. Sel?sdal wrote:
[...]

> Why not ? (what happens when you try to run
> /sys/lib/newuser ?)

After I created the user with fossilcons I have
rebooted
the system (fshalt). After starting up the system to
log in as user1 it gave me these error messages...

I have entered these things when login in:

root is from (tcp, il, local) [local!@d/sdC0/fossil]:
<ENTER>
user [none]: user1

The messages were:

dossrv: serving #s/dos
lib/profile: rc: .: can't open: '
bin/lib' file does not exist
init: rc exit status: rc 23: can't open
init: starting /bin/rc

I have the prompt and see the mouse arrow on screen.
It is a black terminal screen... I can list the
contents of my directory. It is empty. The working
directory is /.../user1. When I try to list the
contents of /sys I can see the directories under it.
But can not list the contents of /sys/lib or any other
directory in that...

Riza

http://mail.yahoo.com

* [9fans] newbie question
@ 2006-02-06 16:38 Riza Dindir
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Riza Dindir @ 2006-02-06 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey all,

I donloaded Plan9 (the fourth version I think), from
the
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html
website.

The installation went smooth.

When the system boots I log in using the user name
glenda (as told in the installation instructions).
I get to the windows environment (rio I believe).

As the next thing, I wanted to create a user that
I can use to log in to the system. I tried to create
a new user. I was able to do these things...

con -l /srv/fscons
uname user1 user1
uname sys +user1
Ctrl-\ c <ENTER>

When I tried to do

auth/changeuser user1

it requested passwords and other information. After
that it returned me an error message (this might be
understandable, because I installed it on my laptop,
which is a standalone machine)...

I can see the new user "user1" in the /adm/users
file.

The next step is to run the /sys/lib/newuser for the
user "user1". For this I need to log in to the system
using this user. But when I reboot the system (by
using fshalt and doing CTRL-ALT-DEL) it asks
me for the file system (I think), where I accept the
default value (local) and then asks me to enter
a user name. I enter "user1" as the username. But
when I use this user, it does not get into the
windowing environment. It displays a couple of error
messages on the screen. The directory for the user
is empty. And I can not run the /sys/lib/newuser
on that terminal like screen.

Can you guys tell me what I am doing wrong? I want to
log in as the new user "user1" and run the newuser
command.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Riza