* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 12:28 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2006-02-10 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:05:55 +0100
> From: uriel@cat-v.org
> Subject: Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
>
> > to process XML type data in the more traditional Unixy fashion.
> Oxymoron.
>
> uriel

Not at all.  As the old saw goes,

	When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Those of us who live in The Real World (tm) sometimes have no choice as to the
format the data we must process is received in, or alternatively, the format
in which it must be delivered.  In such a case, I'd rather have a tool that
makes said format palatable to work with.

I happen to agree with rob's view of the whole XML thing.  But if I find myself
in a situation where I have no choice but to work in some kind of XML, then
I'd sure rather turn to an awk-based solution than some gosh-awful mutant
buzzword hybrid.

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-24 13:36 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

thanks.

i found "larswm" (http://home.earthlink.net/~lab1701/larswm/)
when poking around.

it appears to incorporate acme layout features into a wm similar
to 9wm. i haven't tried it yet.

- erik

On Thu Feb 23 22:56:45 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > i can't find a current version of this on the net.
>
> Alistair Crooks is package-master for NetBSD, his "ssam" is extremely
> likely to be part of the NetBSD "packages" collection.  Try
> "netbsd.org", navigating to the packages is straightforward.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-24  0:55 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-24  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, there is a stream sam (ssam) written for 9tools:

AUTHOR
       Conceived  and  written  by  Alistair  Crooks  (agc@uts.amdahl.com,  or
       agc@westley.demon.co.uk).  I've since found  out  that  Byron  Rakitzis
       wrote  a similar program, with less functionality, called ss, which was
       based on Henry Spencer's regular expression code.

On Thu Feb 23 16:49:40 CST 2006, vir@comtv.ru wrote:

> Are there implementations of "stream sam" and "structural awk" mentioned
> in Rob Pike's paper?
> --
> Victor

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  4:48 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't do that, then. ;-)

On Fri Feb 10 22:37:29 CST 2006, marina@surferz.net wrote:
> When i complain that the application is poorly designed i often get flak
> from one of the
> project managers who manages the team that maintains that mosterpiece.
>
> ---- Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  3:40 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't miss the vaxen i used to work on with h29 2400 baud "stonet"
terminals and often a 1+ minute login time. 2400 baud is slow enough
that i used to use ^s/^q as a pager

mt xinu 4.3bvd (sic).

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 21:03:01 CST 2006, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> Many years ago now, a good friend of mine remarked that
> if we actually made all those whining about the state of things
> now compared to the "good old days" go back to using v7 Unix,
> they would quickly realise that times had actually moved
> forward and there were things they were used to that it didn't
> have and that they really needed. I used v[567] and I've
> ported v7, and I wouldn't go back. From what I understand,
> Plan 9 was an attempt to build on that by saying "this got
> us so far, but times are changing and it won't cut it with
> networks, bitmapped displays, SMP etc, we need a better base".
> That was a long time ago and no one has, to my limited
> non- computer science knowledge, attempted anything similar,
> they're all still working on copying 30 year old technology.
>
> I don't have an iPod, my mobile phone is 5 years old and I
> turn it on about 4 hours a week and there are many things
> about the 21st century that make me grumpy. But you can't go
> back. You should, however, be careful about how how you
> go forward.
>
> --jim

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  0:10 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

isn't this the "i don't trust new software" argument resurrected?
let's all install V7 from mag tape on our pdp-11s. ;-)

sorry. i couldn't resist.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 16:54:45 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > Would you pick
> > XML or ASN.1 if those were the only two options?  If the pointy-haired
> > powers that be are mandating one or the other and, ``neither'' isn't in
> > the range of possible solutions?
>
> What are the alternatives?  My pick is ASN.1, any time.  You can call
> the ITU-T by as many ugly names as you like, but their standards are
> considerably more firm than more recent publications.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 16:49 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what i originally posted was clear and correct.

i do not think your postings clarified anything.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 08:21:00 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> well if i was doing the echo i would do
>
>     echo 'X/''/w'
>
> yes it's 4 but clearer.
>
> brucee
>
> On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > if you want to write only the changed files with an rc
> > script, you really do need 4 single quotes in a row.
> >
> > i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> > is important to me.
> >
> > - erik
> >
> > On Fri Feb 10 07:58:51 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> > > X w
> > > or
> > > X/'/w
> > >
> > > will suffice
> > > brucee

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 15:22 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

important to me. i expect things like "ls -ltr" to give me some idea
of what's changed and when.

On Fri Feb 10 09:19:22 CST 2006, stalker@maths.tcd.ie wrote:

> > i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> > is important to me.
>
> Important to you or to mk?  Not that I recommend this as a solution
> to the problem of writing only changed files, but I tend to write
> mk recipes like

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 14:09 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you want to write only the changed files with an rc
script, you really do need 4 single quotes in a row.

i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
is important to me.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 07:58:51 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> X w
> or
> X/'/w
>
> will suffice
> brucee
>
> On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > i'm replying to the wrong message. but to answer the original problem,
> > you /can/ script sam -d like this:
> >
> >        {
> >                echo $script
> >                echo X:'''':w
> >                echo q
> >        } | sam -d $filelist

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 13:44 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/10/06, Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
> In article <20060208212850.GK1620@augusta.math.psu.edu> you write:
> >On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:14:53AM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >> The problem with this is the data I want is interspersed with data that
> >> I don't want.  And the bits I don't want are variable length
> >> inconsistent multi-line text that is a bitch to filter out of the
> >> rendered output stream.  It turns out that sam (against the raw HTML)
> >> was the only tool that was able to do the job.  I just wish I could wrap
> >> it in a shell script that I could throw at the directory containing all
> >> the .html files.

* [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  4:34 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Was there ever any intention that

	sam -d foo < sam.cmds

would make for a modern-day version of ed(1) on Itaniums?

--lyndon

P.S.  (once again, on Unix if it matters)