* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 12:28 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2006-02-10 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:05:55 +0100
> From: uriel@cat-v.org
> Subject: Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
>
> > to process XML type data in the more traditional Unixy fashion.
> Oxymoron.
>
> uriel

Not at all.  As the old saw goes,

	When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Those of us who live in The Real World (tm) sometimes have no choice as to the
format the data we must process is received in, or alternatively, the format
in which it must be delivered.  In such a case, I'd rather have a tool that
makes said format palatable to work with.

I happen to agree with rob's view of the whole XML thing.  But if I find myself
in a situation where I have no choice but to work in some kind of XML, then
I'd sure rather turn to an awk-based solution than some gosh-awful mutant
buzzword hybrid.

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 12:51 ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2006-02-10 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Aharon Robbins wrote:
 > Not at all.  As the old saw goes,
 >
 >     When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Bogus analogy.  Complete the following "saw":
    When life hands you a bucket of stale pus, make ... ?

DaveL

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 14:04   ` Wes Kussmaul
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-02-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave Lukes wrote:
> Aharon Robbins wrote:

>  >     When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
>
> Bogus analogy.  Complete the following "saw":
>    When life hands you a bucket of stale pus, make ... ?

...a petri dish culture that you can study.

It's easy to dismiss Aharon's observation, as it comes from the
Montaigne view of life:

"The thing of it is, we must live with the living."

The IT infrastructure has been designed and deployed by people with a
median IQ of 121.4 (trust me, I have all the data) because of course
it's developed by people smart enough to have a vague idea of what's
needed. Not smart enough to do it well, not smart enough to keep it
simple -- and not smart enough to understand that doing a job well
delivers more satisfaction than does fudding your way into a few extra
dollars or a bigger title.

Not making any claims about being smart myself, I can make the following
observation: the people on this list are much smarter than those who are
responsible for today's pervasive common IT infrastructure.

Smart people will usually be at the alienated right extreme of the bell
curve, praised for being smart but not actually listened to.

But once in a while something happens that shows that it doesn't have to
be that way. Read _Action This Day_ about how WWII was really won by the
very smart folks at what is now Britain's GCHQ, including many from
allied countries. The thing is, somewhere there has to be a Churchill
directing people to be led by people who are smarter than themselves.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

My uncle likes to say that the world’s biggest troubles started when the
serpent said, “Try this fruit, and by the way if a bunch of people
collectively calling themselves Arthur Andersen signs something it’s the
same as if a person named Arthur Andersen signed it.” I don’t get the
serpent and fruit part. Must be some Swiss mythology thing. He can be a
bit obscure.

                          P.K. Iggy
                          _How I Like Fixed The Internet_
                            (Tales from the Great Infodepression of 2009
                            and the prosperity that followed)

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 15:17 ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:05:55 +0100
>> From: uriel@cat-v.org
>> Subject: Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
>> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
>>
>> > to process XML type data in the more traditional Unixy fashion.
>> Oxymoron.
>>
>> uriel
>
> Not at all.  As the old saw goes,
>
> 	When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
>
> Those of us who live in The Real World (tm) sometimes have no choice as to the

"Beware of "the real world".  A speaker's apeal to it is always an
invitation not to challenge his tacit assumptions."
    -- Edsger W. Dijkstr

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 16:15     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-02-10 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't think it is only a function of the smarts.  It also has to do
with "judgement" or "a sense of beauty" or "good taste", or whatever
describes the sense one innately has or develops through
experience that says of all the possible ways this is best, and it
is proven right.

@ 2006-02-10 17:22       ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-02-10 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> I don't think it is only a function of the smarts.  It also has to do
> with "judgement" or "a sense of beauty" or "good taste", or whatever
> describes the sense one innately has or develops through
> experience that says of all the possible ways this is best, and it
> is proven right.

Fair enough. I use "smarts" as a catchword.

Some have all those attributes plus some integrity, some don't. Lots of
lousy design is the result of deliberate attempts by perhaps "smart"
people to control mindshare and lock in customers regardless of whether
it makes their lives more difficult.

My point is that that can change.

--

@ 2006-02-10 17:41         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-02-10 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Some have all those attributes plus some integrity, some don't. Lots of
> lousy design is the result of deliberate attempts by perhaps "smart"
> people to control mindshare and lock in customers regardless of whether
> it makes their lives more difficult.

it could be the product of deliberate action, but i think it can
happen naturally.  the more complex the software, the more support it
needs.  so the support organism needs the software complexity as its
reason to exist, or even thrive.  the support organism that also has
the propensity to invite in more complexity will get bigger - which in
some corporate structures means more powerful.  it's a vicious cycle
until the host dies, or a competitor does slightly better.  squaring
this hypothesis against reality, it seems to match.  it's not
"intelligent design" but a random natural process.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 17:42 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2006-02-10 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> writes:
> > From: uriel@cat-v.org
> > Subject: Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
> > To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> >
> > > to process XML type data in the more traditional Unixy fashion.
> > Oxymoron.
> >
> > uriel
>
> Not at all.  As the old saw goes,
>
> 	When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hey, don't knock lemons!  You need vitaminc C a lot more than
all that sugar.  We have to thank the "other" Linus for
helping us see the virtue of this "other" C.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 18:21           ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-02-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> the more complex the software, the more support it
> needs.  so the support organism needs the software complexity as its
> reason to exist, or even thrive.  the support organism that also has
> the propensity to invite in more complexity will get bigger - which in
> some corporate structures means more powerful.

So we're back to an appreciation for simplicity, which I do think
correlates with that elusive thing we call smarts.

Hm, given the clutter in my office, what does that say about... never mind.

--

@ 2006-02-10 20:32             ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> So we're back to an appreciation for simplicity, which I do think
> correlates with that elusive thing we call smarts.

Smarts alone are not enough.  Smarts + experience seems to be the magic
combinarion.

> Hm, given the clutter in my office, what does that say about... never
> mind.

After being on the receiving end of a snarky comment from a co-worker, a
sign appeared over my desk:

	If a cluttered workspace is the sign of a cluttered mind,
	What does an empty workspace signify?

BTW, thanks quanstro and Bruce for the scripting hints.  It was the 'X'
bit I was missing.  Anyway, I finally solved the problem through the use
of mouse-2 send and tiny bit of awk (without xml!).  I'm still getting
used to being able to edit in-place and then 'send'ing.  Now that I've
switched over to using 9term full time this is quickly becoming my
natural mode of operation.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  4:36     ` Marina Brown
From: Marina Brown @ 2006-02-11  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Wes Kussmaul wrote:

> Dave Lukes wrote:
>
>> Aharon Robbins wrote:
>

>>  >     When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
>>
>> Bogus analogy.  Complete the following "saw":
>>    When life hands you a bucket of stale pus, make ... ?
>

> ...a petri dish culture that you can study.
>
> It's easy to dismiss Aharon's observation, as it comes from the
> Montaigne view of life:
>
> "The thing of it is, we must live with the living."
>
> The IT infrastructure has been designed and deployed by people with a
> median IQ of 121.4 (trust me, I have all the data) because of course
> it's developed by people smart enough to have a vague idea of what's
> needed. Not smart enough to do it well, not smart enough to keep it
> simple -- and not smart enough to understand that doing a job well
> delivers more satisfaction than does fudding your way into a few extra
> dollars or a bigger title.
>
> Not making any claims about being smart myself, I can make the
> following observation: the people on this list are much smarter than
> those who are responsible for today's pervasive common IT infrastructure.
>
> Smart people will usually be at the alienated right extreme of the
> bell curve, praised for being smart but not actually listened to.
>
> But once in a while something happens that shows that it doesn't have
> to be that way. Read _Action This Day_ about how WWII was really won
> by the very smart folks at what is now Britain's GCHQ, including many
> from allied countries. The thing is, somewhere there has to be a
> Churchill directing people to be led by people who are smarter than
> themselves.

Good observations ...  They are really to the point in my life here. I
spent much of the
day installing windows XP on qemu to avoid using windows at all because
my company
has a corporate web-app thing that has a combination of flash,
javascript and activeX
that only seems to run on Internet explorer with the security levels zero'd.

When i complain that the application is poorly designed i often get flak
from one of the
project managers who manages the team that maintains that mosterpiece.

---- Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  4:39       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-11  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 10, 2006, at 8:36 PM, Marina Brown wrote:

> When i complain that the application is poorly designed i often get
> flak from one of the
> project managers who manages the team that maintains that mosterpiece.

Welcome aboard.

Don't ask for stock options :-(

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  5:06     ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-02-11  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb 10 09:04:57 EST 2006, wes@village.com wrote:
> But once in a while something happens that shows that it doesn't have to
> be that way. Read _Action This Day_ about how WWII was really won by the
> very smart folks at what is now Britain's GCHQ, including many from
> allied countries. The thing is, somewhere there has to be a Churchill
> directing people to be led by people who are smarter than themselves.

Yes. This has come up in many conversations recently.
The people who are smart and should know better about
computery thingies really dropped the ball and didn't
step up to say the direction was misguided. For whatever
reason, it doesn't matter now, it's all gone pear-shaped
and the wheels are about to fall off.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  6:52       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For whatever
> reason, it doesn't matter now, it's all gone pear-shaped
> and the wheels are about to fall off.

Yeah, I don't see a world war coming along to rescue it all any time
soon.

++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-04-24 18:05   ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-04-24 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

  +> i can't find a current version of this on the net.

  Lucio> Alistair Crooks is package-master for NetBSD, his "ssam" is
  Lucio> extremely likely to be part of the NetBSD "packages" collection.
  Lucio> Try "netbsd.org", navigating to the packages is straightforward.

> There is also a FreeBSD port but it is not yet commited in the ports tree.
> Just for now, you can go to
> http://quenix2.dyndns.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ssam/?cvsroot=Ports
> and click on the Download_tarball in order to fetch the ports.

ssam have been officialy integrated into the FreeBSD ports tree.
http://www.freshports.org/editors/ssam

--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F

--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F
PGP Fingerprint: B48B 4633 28F5 28F6 7A62 5650 69C8 E293 BBC1 478F
PPG Key: http://quenix2.dyndns.org:7777 | telnet quenix2.dyndns.org 7777
Cvsdadm: Tool for CVSd pserver user administration
http://quenix2.dyndns.org:8080/Unix-soft/cvsdadm.html

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-25  7:43   ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-02-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio De Re, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-24 14:24   ` Gabriel Ivanes
From: Gabriel Ivanes @ 2006-02-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/24/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:36:06AM -0600, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> > i found "larswm" (http://home.earthlink.net/~lab1701/larswm/)
> > when poking around.
> >
> > it appears to incorporate acme layout features into a wm similar
> > to 9wm. i haven't tried it yet.
>
> Rather old news, anyway, larswm is based on 9wm, but quite different
> and much more improved. Though you can consider next wmii-3
> release which will be available in April as option as well,
> which provides a 9P interface which can be used with 9p(1) from
> plan9port or v9fs/9p2000.ko, and comes with a much more
> acme-alike column layout beside tagbars and a very similiar
> event-file approach like in acme. You can already checkout the
> developer version from hg repository at wmii.de (the 9P
> interface is done through a tiny 9P client/server library called
> libixp I wrote recently, it is included in the wmii source as
> well).
>
> Regards,
> --
>  Anselm R. Garbe  ><><  www.ebrag.de  ><><  GPG key: 0D73F361

Larswm is light, convenient and stable.

--

La capacité d'apprendre est un don
La faculté d'apprendre est un talent

Frank Herbert

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-24 13:49 ` Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2006-02-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-24 13:36 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

thanks.

i found "larswm" (http://home.earthlink.net/~lab1701/larswm/)
when poking around.

it appears to incorporate acme layout features into a wm similar
to 9wm. i haven't tried it yet.

- erik

On Thu Feb 23 22:56:45 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > i can't find a current version of this on the net.
>
> Alistair Crooks is package-master for NetBSD, his "ssam" is extremely
> likely to be part of the NetBSD "packages" collection.  Try
> "netbsd.org", navigating to the packages is straightforward.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-24  4:40 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2006-02-24  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-24  3:46 ` yard-ape
From: yard-ape @ 2006-02-24  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:

> yes, there is a stream sam (ssam) written for 9tools:
>
> AUTHOR
>        Conceived  and  written  by  Alistair  Crooks  (agc@uts.amdahl.com,  or
>        agc@westley.demon.co.uk).  I've since found  out  that  Byron  Rakitzis
>        wrote  a similar program, with less functionality, called ss, which was
>        based on Henry Spencer's regular expression code.
>
> i can't find a current version of this on the net.
>
> - erik

Here's his 1.9 at any rate:

http://www.westley.demon.co.uk/software.html

-Derek

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-24  0:55 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-24  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 23 16:49:40 CST 2006, vir@comtv.ru wrote:

> Are there implementations of "stream sam" and "structural awk" mentioned
> in Rob Pike's paper?
> --
> Victor

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-23 22:52                       ` Victor Nazarov
From: Victor Nazarov @ 2006-02-23 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-11 11:22 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-11 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

trust jim.

brucee

On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> don't do that, then. ;-)
>
> On Fri Feb 10 22:37:29 CST 2006, marina@surferz.net wrote:
> > When i complain that the application is poorly designed i often get flak
> > from one of the
> > project managers who manages the team that maintains that mosterpiece.
> >
> > ---- Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  4:48 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't do that, then. ;-)

On Fri Feb 10 22:37:29 CST 2006, marina@surferz.net wrote:
> When i complain that the application is poorly designed i often get flak
> from one of the
> project managers who manages the team that maintains that mosterpiece.
>
> ---- Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  3:40 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't miss the vaxen i used to work on with h29 2400 baud "stonet"
terminals and often a 1+ minute login time. 2400 baud is slow enough
that i used to use ^s/^q as a pager

mt xinu 4.3bvd (sic).

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 21:03:01 CST 2006, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> Many years ago now, a good friend of mine remarked that
> if we actually made all those whining about the state of things
> now compared to the "good old days" go back to using v7 Unix,
> they would quickly realise that times had actually moved
> forward and there were things they were used to that it didn't
> have and that they really needed. I used v[567] and I've
> ported v7, and I wouldn't go back. From what I understand,
> Plan 9 was an attempt to build on that by saying "this got
> us so far, but times are changing and it won't cut it with
> networks, bitmapped displays, SMP etc, we need a better base".
> That was a long time ago and no one has, to my limited
> non- computer science knowledge, attempted anything similar,
> they're all still working on copying 30 year old technology.
>
> I don't have an iPod, my mobile phone is 5 years old and I
> turn it on about 4 hours a week and there are many things
> about the 21st century that make me grumpy. But you can't go
> back. You should, however, be careful about how how you
> go forward.
>
> --jim

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  3:01 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-02-11  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb 10 19:12:00 EST 2006, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> isn't this the "i don't trust new software" argument resurrected?
> let's all install V7 from mag tape on our pdp-11s. ;-)
>
> sorry. i couldn't resist.
>
> - erik
>
> On Fri Feb 10 16:54:45 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > > Would you pick
> > > XML or ASN.1 if those were the only two options?  If the pointy-haired
> > > powers that be are mandating one or the other and, ``neither'' isn't in
> > > the range of possible solutions?
> >
> > What are the alternatives?  My pick is ASN.1, any time.  You can call
> > the ITU-T by as many ugly names as you like, but their standards are
> > considerably more firm than more recent publications.
> >
> > ++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  0:10 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

isn't this the "i don't trust new software" argument resurrected?
let's all install V7 from mag tape on our pdp-11s. ;-)

sorry. i couldn't resist.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 16:54:45 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > Would you pick
> > XML or ASN.1 if those were the only two options?  If the pointy-haired
> > powers that be are mandating one or the other and, ``neither'' isn't in
> > the range of possible solutions?
>
> What are the alternatives?  My pick is ASN.1, any time.  You can call
> the ITU-T by as many ugly names as you like, but their standards are
> considerably more firm than more recent publications.
>
> ++L

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 22:53                         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-10 16:49 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what i originally posted was clear and correct.

i do not think your postings clarified anything.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 08:21:00 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> well if i was doing the echo i would do
>
>     echo 'X/''/w'
>
> yes it's 4 but clearer.
>
> brucee
>
> On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > if you want to write only the changed files with an rc
> > script, you really do need 4 single quotes in a row.
> >
> > i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> > is important to me.
> >
> > - erik
> >
> > On Fri Feb 10 07:58:51 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> > > X w
> > > or
> > > X/'/w
> > >
> > > will suffice
> > > brucee

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 15:22 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

important to me. i expect things like "ls -ltr" to give me some idea
of what's changed and when.

On Fri Feb 10 09:19:22 CST 2006, stalker@maths.tcd.ie wrote:

> > i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> > is important to me.
>
> Important to you or to mk?  Not that I recommend this as a solution
> to the problem of writing only changed files, but I tend to write
> mk recipes like

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 15:17 ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2006-02-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> is important to me.

Important to you or to mk?  Not that I recommend this as a solution
to the problem of writing only changed files, but I tend to write
mk recipes like

%.dvi:DP false: %.tex %.aux
        touch md5/$target
        md5 $prereq >junk/$target
        while
                ! cmp -s junk/$target md5/$target
        do
                latex $stem.tex </dev/null
                mv junk/$target md5/$target
                md5 $prereq >junk/$target
        done
        rm junk/$target

so that the target is rebuilt if the prerequites have really changed
rather than if their timestamps have.  In the example of LaTeX this
is needed for a variety of reasons stemming from the innate stupidity
of the program, but I've started doing it for pretty much everything.
It's very helpful if, for example, you want to rebuild an old version
of the target.  The md5 and cmp overhead is tolerable for small
projects, but I admit that it scales badly.

ps Sorry for giving the p9p version rather the native.
--
John Stalker
University of Dublin, Trinity College

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 14:40                       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:45:34AM +0000, Steve Simon wrote:
> Sounds to me like an application for these:
>
> 	Rob Pike, Structural Regular Expressions
> 	http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/87/3-se.ps.gz

That's part of the story, but again, I don't think it's sufficient.  Don't
get me wrong; you can do a lot with hierarchical data using SRE's, but it
may not be sufficient.  Then again, it may.  It all depends on the problem
at hand.

As for Smart People, XML, Corporate IT, and all the rest....  It's really
true that sometimes you're handed things that you have no control over.
Sometimes you're forced to pick the lesser of two evils.  Would you pick
XML or ASN.1 if those were the only two options?  If the pointy-haired
powers that be are mandating one or the other and, ``neither'' isn't in
the range of possible solutions?  Sometimes, it's not worth fighting those
battles....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 14:15 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

well if i was doing the echo i would do

    echo 'X/''/w'

yes it's 4 but clearer.

brucee

On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> if you want to write only the changed files with an rc
> script, you really do need 4 single quotes in a row.
>
> i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
> is important to me.
>
> - erik
>
> On Fri Feb 10 07:58:51 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> > X w
> > or
> > X/'/w
> >
> > will suffice
> > brucee
> >
> > On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > > i'm replying to the wrong message. but to answer the original problem,
> > > you /can/ script sam -d like this:
> > >
> > >        {
> > >                echo $script
> > >                echo X:'''':w
> > >                echo q
> > >        } | sam -d $filelist

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 14:09 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you want to write only the changed files with an rc
script, you really do need 4 single quotes in a row.

i use the change times on files, so writing only the changed files
is important to me.

- erik

On Fri Feb 10 07:58:51 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> X w
> or
> X/'/w
>
> will suffice
> brucee
>
> On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > i'm replying to the wrong message. but to answer the original problem,
> > you /can/ script sam -d like this:
> >
> >        {
> >                echo $script
> >                echo X:'''':w
> >                echo q
> >        } | sam -d $filelist

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 13:57 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

X w
or
X/'/w

will suffice
brucee

On 2/11/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> i'm replying to the wrong message. but to answer the original problem,
> you /can/ script sam -d like this:
>
>        {
>                echo $script
>                echo X:'''':w
>                echo q
>        } | sam -d $filelist
>
> On 2/10/06, Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 13:44 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm replying to the wrong message. but to answer the original problem,
you /can/ script sam -d like this:

	{
		echo $script
		echo X:'''':w
		echo q
	} | sam -d $filelist

On 2/10/06, Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
> In article <20060208212850.GK1620@augusta.math.psu.edu> you write:
> >On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:14:53AM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >> The problem with this is the data I want is interspersed with data that
> >> I don't want.  And the bits I don't want are variable length
> >> inconsistent multi-line text that is a bitch to filter out of the
> >> rendered output stream.  It turns out that sam (against the raw HTML)
> >> was the only tool that was able to do the job.  I just wish I could wrap
> >> it in a shell script that I could throw at the directory containing all
> >> the .html files.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 12:59                     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yuk

On 2/10/06, Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
> In article <20060208212850.GK1620@augusta.math.psu.edu> you write:
> >On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:14:53AM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >> The problem with this is the data I want is interspersed with data that
> >> I don't want.  And the bits I don't want are variable length
> >> inconsistent multi-line text that is a bitch to filter out of the
> >> rendered output stream.  It turns out that sam (against the raw HTML)
> >> was the only tool that was able to do the job.  I just wish I could wrap
> >> it in a shell script that I could throw at the directory containing all
> >> the .html files.
> >
> >I'm not talking about rendering, just parsing.  Well, ultimately,
> >what's important is that you get what you need out of the solution, I
> >guess.  Still, regular expressions alone give you part of the story,
> >but not the whole thing.  I submit that the power to actually parse
> >the tokens in the data as opposed to just matching them (even if the
> >regular expression language you're using is powerful enough to match
> >the structure of the document) is more powerful.  But hey, if sam
> >floats your boat, fish on that river!
> >
> >       - Dan C.
>
> Possibly of interest is the xmlgawk project:
>
>        http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xmlgawk
>
> This is an extended version of GNU Awk with an XML parser module add-on.
> The idea that instead of reading lines, you get XML tokens (tags, fields
> in the tags, and marked-up data).  I am not directly involved in it, but
> it looks like a rather promising alternative for people who would like
> to process XML type data in the more traditional Unixy fashion.
>
> Arnold
> --
> Aharon (Arnold) Robbins --- Pioneer Consulting Ltd.     arnold AT skeeve DOT com
> P.O. Box 354            Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381    Fax: +1 206 350 8765
> Nof Ayalon              Cell Phone: +972 50  729-7545
> D.N. Shimshon 99785     ISRAEL

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10 11:05                     ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-10 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-10 10:45                     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-02-10 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Possibly of interest is the xmlgawk project:

Sounds to me like an application for these:

	Rob Pike, Structural Regular Expressions
	http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/87/3-se.ps.gz

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-10  9:47                   ` Aharon Robbins
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2006-02-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-10  1:37                                         ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2006-02-10  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> boots up in a game.  May be a new game where "scrolls" are
> hints on how to use various OS components.  The user finds
> them, reads them and applies them to solve puzzles.  May be
> a cross between rogue and Physicus and Lego Mindstorm....

How about a version of DROD (http://www.caravelgames.com) with Glenda
instead of Beethro and penguins instead of roaches?  One lone Glenda
with a really big sword outmaneuvering an army of mindless penguins.
Making the alternate graphics and a hold with Plan 9 tips in the
scrolls/dialogue wouldn't be that hard, we just need to convince
Caravel to port it.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09 23:06                                       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2006-02-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Marina Brown <marina@surferz.net> writes:
> I do admit to booting up plan9 under qemu to run sokoban
> and mahjongg. I have played many versions of mahjongg and
> i happen to like the plan9 implementation the most ;-)
>
> Perhaps the games should be added to the startup for a default
> user to make the OS more appealing to newbies like me ;-)

Perhaps it should be one of the bootup choices of the install
CD.  If the user doesn't type anything for a while the system
boots up in a game.  May be a new game where "scrolls" are
hints on how to use various OS components.  The user finds
them, reads them and applies them to solve puzzles.  May be
a cross between rogue and Physicus and Lego Mindstorm....

And you thought you were joking.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09 22:44                                     ` Marina Brown
From: Marina Brown @ 2006-02-09 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave Eckhardt wrote:

>>I'm a way out of practice programmer but when i have time
>>i pick at porting some of my favorite games.
>>

>Some games would be great!
>
>Last January I was wearing my Plan 9 t-shirt when we had people
>over for Chinese New Year.  One of my wife's co-workers asked me
>why I was wearing a shirt commemorating a dead OS.
>
>At this year's party he was a little bored, so I let him play
>Andrey's sokoban...  after he was solidly hooked I asked him which
>OS he thought he was using.  That was *much* more persuasive than
>my verbal assurances of the year before that Plan 9 is still a
>going concern.
>
>Two which would be cool:  there's an open-source re-implementation
>of Sid Meier's Civilization; also, an Empire client might be fun.
>
>Dave Eckhardt

I do admit to booting up plan9 under qemu to run sokoban
and mahjongg. I have played many versions of mahjongg and
i happen to like the plan9 implementation the most ;-)

Perhaps the games should be added to the startup for a default
user to make the OS more appealing to newbies like me ;-)

--- Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09 20:11                                     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-02-09 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Federico Benavento wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Marina Brown <marina@surferz.net> wrote:
>
>>I think the idea of a wish list on the plan9 web page is excellent.
>>I'm a way out of practice programmer but when i have time i pick
>>at porting some of my favorite games.
>>

> see:
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/TODO/index.html

Sorry guys, I forgot this existed.

That idea of mine was entirely well-intentioned, sorry it was not clear.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09 16:06                                   ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-02-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-09 13:04                     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-02-09 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>I'd like native limbo.
This and a FFI to and from C with a consistent (read: normal Plan9 style)
api would be
sweet.
Now if I wasn't so busy attempting to get info for the Minix crap at school
& the business at home,
i'd have a project.
--
Nietzsche's first step is to accept what he knows. Atheism for him goes
without saying and is "contructive and

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09  7:34                                     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-09  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

an easy way to get credibility is to write something good
that users like and use.  do it twice.  then you are hooked.

brucee

On 2/9/06, Federico Benavento <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Marina Brown <marina@surferz.net> wrote:
> > I think the idea of a wish list on the plan9 web page is excellent.
> > I'm a way out of practice programmer but when i have time i pick
> > at porting some of my favorite games.
> >

> see:
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/TODO/index.html
>

> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09  2:35                                   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-02-09  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-09  1:56                                 ` Marina Brown
From: Marina Brown @ 2006-02-09  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:

>this is perfectly normal. there's a ladder to climb in all open source
>projects and nobody starts at the top. if you go to theo and tell him
>"i want to help", you'll most likely be delegated to the ports tree
>until you prove you're worthy.

I think the idea of a wish list on the plan9 web page is excellent.
I'm a way out of practice programmer but when i have time i pick
at porting some of my favorite games.

----  Marina Brown

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09  1:47                                 ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-02-09  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening.

Am Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:11:44 -0700
schrieb andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>:

> i don't think ron was referring to anybody in specific and i don't
> believe he has seen the TODO list either. the rift you assume exists
> between plan9 developers is largely in your imagination and there have
> been solutions proposed for removing this imaginary barrier, mostly,
> just ask! crying "you didn't see my web page, how dare you!" instead
> of simply pointing towards it is not one of them.

Who cried? The critic was about what some imaginary group of people
should propose, as hints to some people, so they climb up some imagi-
nary ladder, that is seen as natural, but isn't.

It was an overreaction. Next time I will try to ignore at minimum
six useless threads about E-Mail applications, Linux technology or how
acme could save your life, when you are stuck in deep snow, before I
post some critics.

Yes, Sir!

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09  1:11                               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-02-09  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-09  0:43                             ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-02-09  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

Am Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:26:05 -0500
schrieb Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>:

> Uhh, he didn't mention a ``higher class.''

Read closer.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-09  0:26                           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-09  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-09  0:17                         ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-02-09  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

Am Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:03:17 -0500

@ 2006-02-09  0:03                       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-09  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-08 22:58                     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Maybe we ought to put up some 'street cred' projects for people who
> genuinely want to earn their stripes, but may not know where to
> start. People don't always know what is needed, and what would be a
> good challenge, and would earn some respect. I'm perfectly serious
> here.

Ron, why don't you create a wish list on the Wiki?  When someone picks
off a project they can annotate the entry with its current status.  I
think this would be very useful.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 22:57                     ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-02-08 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

Am Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:43:34 -0700
schrieb Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>:

> Maybe we ought to put up some 'street cred' projects for people who
> genuinely want to earn their stripes, but may not know where to start.
> People don't always know what is needed, and what would be a good
> challenge, and would earn some respect. I'm perfectly serious here.

"Sugar for the lower class."

> I'd like an atheros driver. I'd like a way to be able to put data on
> google maps (I have no idea how this works). I'd like native limbo. Are
> these good enough?

Send the patch, if you want it.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 21:43                   ` Ronald G Minnich
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-02-08 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dan Cross wrote:

> You need to work on your street cred, son.  Working on some web pages
> and doing some easy ports to Plan 9 or writing a few scripts don't make
> you a guru.  Yet, you're the one consistently posting the snarky little
> replies as if you were one.

Maybe we ought to put up some 'street cred' projects for people who
genuinely want to earn their stripes, but may not know where to start.
People don't always know what is needed, and what would be a good
challenge, and would earn some respect. I'm perfectly serious here.

What qualifies?

I'd like an atheros driver. I'd like a way to be able to put data on
google maps (I have no idea how this works). I'd like native limbo. Are
these good enough?

anything else?

ron

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 21:35                 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:20:38PM +0100, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> I think sam is a much safer bet than some hideous lib that pretends to
> be capable of parsing (pseudo)HTML.
>
> Years ago some people tried to write a web browser in python...  some
> years later they gave up, all they had produced was a spec for an XML
> format to store bookmarks.  Quoting boyd: "hysterical."

And I think that you're probably not qualified to make that judgement.

You need to work on your street cred, son.  Working on some web pages
and doing some easy ports to Plan 9 or writing a few scripts don't make
you a guru.  Yet, you're the one consistently posting the snarky little
replies as if you were one.

Please, do us all a favor and stop.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 21:28                 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-08 19:50                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I heard an anecdote many years ago about Bill Joy claiming
he was "gonna right a fortran compiler tonight" and nothing
was ever heard of it again.  Is this story scrambled or can
anyone confirm or deny this?

brucee

On 2/9/06, uriel@cat-v.org <uriel@cat-v.org> wrote:
> http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/language.pdf
>
> I think sam is a much safer bet than some hideous lib that pretends to
> be capable of parsing (pseudo)HTML.
>
> Years ago some people tried to write a web browser in python...  some
> years later they gave up, all they had produced was a spec for an XML
> format to store bookmarks.  Quoting boyd: "hysterical."
>
> uriel
>
> > On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:50:22PM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> >> So I thought, but something's not right.  I can't demonstrate more
> >> until I get to work in the morning.
> >
> > Hmm.  I'm going to make an unpopular but pragmatic suggestion: Don't use
> > sed or sam, but instead, use a language with an HTML parser available.
> > There are some jobs for which regular expressions aren't the best tool;
> > I personally think this is one of them.  Here's a script I posted to
> > USENET years ago to extract data from a table.
> >
> > #!/usr/local/bin/python
> >
> > import sys
> > import htmllib
> > import formatter
> >
> > class MyParser(htmllib.HTMLParser):
> >         def __init__(self, format):
> >                 htmllib.HTMLParser.__init__(self, format)
> >                 self.state = 0
> >
> >         def do_tr(self, data):
> >                 if self.state:
> >                         print htmllib.HTMLParser.save_end(self)
> >                         self.state = 0
> >
> >         def do_td(self, data):
> >                 if self.state:
> >                         print "%s, " % htmllib.HTMLParser.save_end(self),
> >                 self.state = 1
> >                 htmllib.HTMLParser.save_bgn(self)
> >
> > parse = MyParser(formatter.NullFormatter())
> > for file in sys.argv[1:]:
> >         parse.feed(open(sys.argv[1],"r").read())
> > parse.close()
> >
> > I wonder if this even still works.....
> >
> >       - Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 18:20               ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-08 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/language.pdf

I think sam is a much safer bet than some hideous lib that pretends to
be capable of parsing (pseudo)HTML.

Years ago some people tried to write a web browser in python...  some
years later they gave up, all they had produced was a spec for an XML
format to store bookmarks.  Quoting boyd: "hysterical."

uriel

> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:50:22PM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>> So I thought, but something's not right.  I can't demonstrate more
>> until I get to work in the morning.
>
> Hmm.  I'm going to make an unpopular but pragmatic suggestion: Don't use
> sed or sam, but instead, use a language with an HTML parser available.
> There are some jobs for which regular expressions aren't the best tool;
> I personally think this is one of them.  Here's a script I posted to
> USENET years ago to extract data from a table.
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/python
>
> import sys
> import htmllib
> import formatter
>
> class MyParser(htmllib.HTMLParser):
>         def __init__(self, format):
>                 htmllib.HTMLParser.__init__(self, format)
>                 self.state = 0
>
>         def do_tr(self, data):
>                 if self.state:
>                         print htmllib.HTMLParser.save_end(self)
>                         self.state = 0
>
>         def do_td(self, data):
>                 if self.state:
>                         print "%s, " % htmllib.HTMLParser.save_end(self),
>                 self.state = 1
>                 htmllib.HTMLParser.save_bgn(self)
>
> parse = MyParser(formatter.NullFormatter())
> for file in sys.argv[1:]:
>         parse.feed(open(sys.argv[1],"r").read())
> parse.close()
>
> I wonder if this even still works.....
>
> 	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08 18:14               ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-08 17:31             ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-02-08 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-08  6:50           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-08  6:46         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-08  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, you can drive sam -d non-interactively.  You can also give it
more than one file name, so you could do

	sam -d *.html <<'!'
	X/./ {
	... sam commands to munge the files ...
	}
	!

(modulo `changes out of order' complaints; in that case, issue
multiple X commands).

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  6:30       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I apologize.

> would make for a modern-day version of ed(1) on Itaniums?

Meant: can I feed commands to sam on stdin (in this post-PDP11 age)?

> I suppose in your second message you might mean 'X' as
> in the X Window System, but I don't see why that would
> fix anything.  If sam -d doesn't work, running samterm (the
> X interface) won't make it start working.

'X' as "in iterate over a list of file names,  as in 'I need to batch
process a large amount of HTML puke split across several files."

> Completely lost...

Sorry ;-)

Someone generated for me a whole lot of <foo>.html that contain
benchmark results.  I don't want to cut-n-paste each of the data
points from the HTML pages.  The only sane alternative needs REs that
cross \n.  I.e. sam.  Preferably in batch mode, as I have more than a
few of these files to deal with.  Now that I have fixed my RE and 'x'
stupidity, I need to solve interactive mode.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  6:14     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Was there ever any intention that
>
>        sam -d foo < sam.cmds
>
> would make for a modern-day version of ed(1) on Itaniums?
>
> > there are various 64-bit fixes to sam that are
> > in plan 9 but not yet in the p9p code.
>
> It's late, and my brain is off.  I guess this means 'X' is the
> answer.  I suppose I've been looking for an excuse to use it.

Okay, I give up.  I have no idea what you meant
in your first message.  I thought you were asking about
sam not working on Itanium (64-bit) processors.

I suppose in your second message you might mean 'X' as
in the X Window System, but I don't see why that would
fix anything.  If sam -d doesn't work, running samterm (the
X interface) won't make it start working.

Completely lost...
Russ

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  5:51   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 7, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

> there are various 64-bit fixes to sam that are
> in plan 9 but not yet in the p9p code.

It's late, and my brain is off.  I guess this means 'X' is the
answer.  I suppose I've been looking for an excuse to use it.

But now that I've had to seriously use sam's command language, I'm
ready to ditch sed.

--lyndon

P.S.  And this is a pity.  I first used sam on one of the AT&T DMDish
terminals (hanging off a 3Bxxxx) in the late 80s. I was too caught up
in emacs at the time to appreciate what I was bitching at.  Live and
learn I suppose.

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  5:29 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Was there ever any intention that
>
>         sam -d foo < sam.cmds
>
> would make for a modern-day version of ed(1) on Itaniums?

there are various 64-bit fixes to sam that are
in plan 9 but not yet in the p9p code.

russ

* [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-08  4:34 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-02-08  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Was there ever any intention that

	sam -d foo < sam.cmds

would make for a modern-day version of ed(1) on Itaniums?

--lyndon

P.S.  (once again, on Unix if it matters)