* [9fans] pull
@ 2006-04-06  1:50 Eric Smith
From: Eric Smith @ 2006-04-06  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm sorry, I'm sure this is already very clearly documented somewhere.  I'm
a newbie and having a little trouble getting started.

I created a user and have the network up.

When I try to do 'pull' I'm asked for authentication (user/password).

When searching I've seen things like, "9p read factotum/ctl" -- just
assuming I'm supposed to type that in as written to read about how to
authenticate for 'pull' but it doesn't work -- neither for me nor glenda.

Sorry to be asking such a rudimentary question,
Eric

* Re: [9fans] pull
@ 2006-02-03 18:40 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2006-02-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can ignore this message if you want, but I print it to make
> you wonder what's going on.  In this case, you should probably
> be running
>
> 	replica/pull -v -c 386/9pcf /dist/replica/network
>
> which will pull any files except skip past changes to 386/9pcf.
>
> What you typed:
>
> 	replica/pull -v -c 386/9pcf /dist/replica/network 386/9pcf
>
> will not pull any changes.  It says "pull only files matching 386/9pcf
> (the last argument) but whenever you see a change to 386/9pcf,
> ignoring it in favor of the local version (the -c option)."

It's getting clearer to me.  What I wanted to say was: "Keep your eyes
on conflicts with 386/9pcf and resolve them with the clients version."

> At any point in time, replica/pull knows how much of
> /dist/replica/client/plan9.log it has successfully applied and
> can ignore on the next run.  It stores this information in
> /dist/replica/client/plan9.time.  Plan9.log is applied up to and
> including the line that begins with the numbers in plan9.time.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

Heiko

* [9fans] pull - read this!
@ 2006-01-28 20:22 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-01-28 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

THE OPTIONS TO PULL HAVE CHANGED - READ THIS MESSAGE!

I don't have the energy to explain the antiword behavior in full,
but I just made some changes that should make it less
likely going forward.

I changed the way -c and -s work in pull (which is really
replica/applylog for the purposes of this discussion).

Before, the only way to safely make pull remember that
it had done some -c stuff was to run replica/pull -vc
with no patterns and hope that no new server changes
had appeared since the last pull you did (usually seconds
before).  I made pull a little more aggressive about updating
its "I'm done with the log up to this point" time, but if
you get really far behind and are trying to catch up, it's
just not good enough.

Instead, I changed -c and -s.

Now, instead of -c and -s applying to all possible files
encountered, they take names as arguments and only
apply to those.  This means you can specify both on
a command line.

So for example, I just updated my own system:

	% pull
	sys/src/cmd/8c/txt.c: locally modified; will not update
	sys/src/cmd/venti/config.c: locally removed; will not update
	sys/src/cmd/venti/fmtindex.c: locally removed; will not update
	386/bin/replica/applylog: locally modified; will not update
	sys/src/cmd/replica/applylog.c: locally modified; will not update
	%

and then had to address the conflicts.  I wanted to keep
my venti changes but the others could be overwritten:

	% pull -c sys/src/cmd/venti -c 386/bin/replica \
		-c sys/src/cmd/replica -s sys/src/cmd/8c
	% pull
	c sys/src/cmd/8c/txt.c
	%

Because the options changed to take arguments, I had
to update /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull and /rc/bin/replica/defs too.

If you have your own copy of glenda's pull script,
you'll want to incorporate the changes.  Or just make
yours run hers:

	% cat /usr/rsc/bin/rc/pull
	#!/bin/rc
	exec /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull $*
	%

The man pages are updated too.

All this won't take effect until you do a pull and get the new files.

Russ

* [9fans] pull
@ 2003-10-09 15:16 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've done some looking around but it's not clear how I use 'pull' to a
fossil. The basic command gets lots of kfs errors, since there is no kfs.

Is this the usual pilot error on my part or is it just not ready yet?

thanks

ron