* [9fans] [9fans-bounces@cse.psu.edu: Auto-discard notification]
@ 2007-08-09 19:52 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2007-08-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Folks, I'm seeing a lot of these lately.  Naturally it could be dictionary
spammers, but just in case not, is someone forwarding our traffic to
netpath.net?  (No subscribed users have that in their address.)

----- Forwarded message from 9fans-bounces@cse.psu.edu -----

Delivery-Date: Thu Aug 09 08:04:53 2007
Subject: Auto-discard notification
From: 9fans-bounces@cse.psu.edu
To: 9fans-owner@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 04:04:43 -0400

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
From: Plan@netpath.net
SUBJECT: Plan Change Request from 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: billing@netpath.net, manager@netpath.net
Date: Thu,  9 Aug 2007 04:01:36 -0400 (EDT)

Please KEEP and PRINT this message.  It is your confirmation that you have
requested to change your plan.  DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  See below
for Email information.

 All requests received will be processed in a timely manner, depending on
 volume of requests received.  If your request is made over the weekend
 or a Holiday break, please allow additional time for processing.

 Any request received that effects the billing on your account will not go
 into effect until the next billing cycle.

 If your request is for our new Xtreme Net service, you will receive an
 email providing you with your access code.  If you have any questions about
 Xtreme Net, please contact support@netpath.net or call our office at
 336/226-0425, ext 500.

 If you have any billing questions, please email billing@netpath.net or
 call our office at 336/226-0425, ext 501.

 Remember, use of our service indicates agreement to our current Terms &
 Conditions, which can be found at http://www.netpath.net/terms.htm.

- Your message -------

 ----------- Your original message is below ----------

Created Aug 8 18:50 by quanstro
Processed Aug 9 00:50 by geoff

removable devices can may return 0 sectors in scsionline when they have empty
media.  prevent infinite loops.  ahci+sata lg super multi dvd rewriter do this, e.g.

NOTES:
Wed Aug 8 18:50:35 EDT 2007 geoff
    applied in slightly different form.

--
/sys/src/9/pc/sdscsi.c
sdscsi.c.orig:215,222 - /n/sources/patch/applied/scsionline-removeable/sdscsi.c:215,224

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: [9fans] [9fans-bounces@cse.psu.edu: Auto-discard notification]
@ 2007-08-10  9:34 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-08-10  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Interesting, that is a plan9-changes email. I'll look if anyone
@netpath.net is subscribed and kick them out (the repply-to for
plan9-changes is 9fans, because
russ didn't want a separate list for discussion of patches, but he
didn't want the patches themselves posted to 9fans either *sigh*)

Which reminds me, a plan9-tech list has been created because some gsoc
participants didn't feel like having technical discussions in 9fans,
which this days
seems to be rather full of offtopic banter and other noise.

http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-tech

uriel

* [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 11:08   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-08-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> didn't want the patches themselves posted to 9fans either *sigh*)
>
> Which reminds me, a plan9-tech list has been created because some gsoc
> participants didn't feel like having technical discussions in 9fans,
> which this days
> seems to be rather full of offtopic banter and other noise.

i'm not sure i follow this.  you complain that 9fans is `full of offtopic banter and other noise'
(mainly because people aren't contributing technical content) so apparently the best way
to deal with that is not indeed to contribute technical content, but to move that discussion
elsewhere; even so, it's also a fault that it hasn't got more noise in the form of tedious patch diffs to wade through
(or perhaps you meant just list of patches as they are applied, which some might well find helpful).

(i think there is a remark about this sort of thing in the Preface to the 1662 revision
of the Book of Common Prayer.)

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 11:28     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-08-10 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Which reminds me, a plan9-tech list has been created because some gsoc
> participants didn't feel like having technical discussions in 9fans,
> which this days
> seems to be rather full of offtopic banter and other noise.

Good to know the people who know most about plan9, most of whom still seem
to read this list, are not going to be bothered by discussions of a technical nature.

When you have a small community why not splinter it further?

good one uriel, good one.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 16:22       ` ron minnich
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> good one uriel, good one.

so, set me straight on this: somone is leading the tribe of True 3lite
Hackers across the desert, gonna part the waters etc., take 'em to the
promised land, and so on.

So, uh, who are these tech contributors who are going? I can only gaze
in awe. And, once they get there, I assume they'll take a blanket off
the blanket tree and take a nap (ref. to CM Kornbluth is entirely
intentional; I'll let you find story and title).

ron
p.s. met the coraid guys at linux world yesterday. Very, very fine
stuff. I love the fact that they are 'the linux storage company'.

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 16:27         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-10 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> p.s. met the coraid guys at linux world yesterday. Very, very fine
> stuff. I love the fact that they are 'the linux storage company'.

they wouldn't let me put bunnies on the signage!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 17:13           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-10 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> > p.s. met the coraid guys at linux world yesterday. Very, very fine
> > stuff. I love the fact that they are 'the linux storage company'.
>
> they wouldn't let me put bunnies on the signage!
>
> - erik

How about bunnies wearing tuxes or penguin costumes?

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 17:24         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
> > good one uriel, good one.
>
> so, set me straight on this: somone is leading the tribe of True 3lite
> Hackers across the desert, gonna part the waters etc., take 'em to the
> promised land, and so on.

Does anyone actually care?  :-)

I think there's still plenty of technical discussion on 9fans.  Sure, we
have some fun too... So what?

I don't think I've ever not received help to a well-asked question that
couldn't be solved by RTFM on this list.  So I'm a bit unlikely to abandon
9fans.

PS:
Thanks to Charles Forsyth and Noah Evans for help on the Nintendo DS port of
Inferno.  All my toolchain problems appear to be solved and I'm now
well-equipped to get my hands actually dirty in there.  There is a google
code hosted project  http://code.google.com/p/inferno-ds.

Got some other DS hacking friends interested in it, hopefully we'll have LCD
issues figured out soon then the 802.11 stuff may fall into place, and I'm
hoping to be able to mount my laptop from the DS and execute .dis's to my
heart's content, no promises on when :-)

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 18:09           ` ron minnich
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am looking at this right now, just saw it yesterday:
http://www.uniconsys.com/devkit-ucn2410-c.html

I learned something sad about the motorola and trolltech "open"
phones. You can get the phone, get the source, build an OS.

You can't load the OS you build.

This just dropped them into the bucket for me. Not sure about open
moko, I expect it is similar.

Too bad. Cell phone companies are a pain.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 18:11             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I learned something sad about the motorola and trolltech "open"
> phones. You can get the phone, get the source, build an OS.
>
> You can't load the OS you build.
>
> This just dropped them into the bucket for me. Not sure about open
> moko, I expect it is similar.
>
> Too bad. Cell phone companies are a pain.

in fact, i'm not sure they give you enough information
to build an os you can't load.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 18:36             ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2007-08-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking at this right now, just saw it yesterday:
> http://www.uniconsys.com/devkit-ucn2410-c.html
>
> I learned something sad about the motorola and trolltech "open"
> phones. You can get the phone, get the source, build an OS.
>
> You can't load the OS you build.
>
> This just dropped them into the bucket for me. Not sure about open
> moko, I expect it is similar.

They give you JTAG access so you can reprogram it from the lowest
level. The only thing that is not 'user-modifiable' is the GSM module
(which is packaged into separate IC and is seen as a serial port to
the OS). IIRC the 'hacker' kit includes all tools needed to take it
apart and has debugging board included :-)

The only thing that I don't like is that it has only GSM. That means
that although I'd love to play with it, it won't work for example in
Japan (where I intent to go, unless Google hires me, which I doubt.)

> Too bad. Cell phone companies are a pain.

That's the reason behind OpenMoko AFAIK. They wanted to build "a truly
open phone". Now, if it only had UMTS/HSDPA.....

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 19:28         ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-08-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The plan9-tech list was created (not by me) after various gsoc
students *and* mentors plain refused to use 9fans, and really, who can
blame them when even jmk refuses to use 9fans anymore.

Anyway, keep jumping to assumptions, bashing people who tries to help,
and doing what you have doing so far, it seems to have worked really
well.

uriel

P.S.: Oh, I know, you would rather have everyone use private email,
that has worked so wonderfully so far.

@ 2007-08-10 22:16           ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-08-10 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm one of the "guilty" parties regarding plan9-tech.  GSOC requires
public communications, but I'm entirely unhappy passing "did you
check bit 11 of the VPN register" level of crap to 9fans - it's
clearly not where it belongs (I believe it belongs in private email,
but that's another matter).  Plan9-tech was a (possibly ill-named)
place to drop those messages.

Frankly, my post-mortem on gsoc won't be very nice.  I should never
have accepted to work with a student 9 timezones away, even if the
project is really interesting.  And I certainly could have poured
arbitrary amounts of time into it, but I'm really unsure where the
line is between the student's project and my own (essentially
recreational) coding.

Paul

@ 2007-08-10 22:34             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-08-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm one of the "guilty" parties regarding plan9-tech.  GSOC requires
> public communications, but I'm entirely unhappy passing "did you
> check bit 11 of the VPN register" level of crap to 9fans - it's
> clearly not where it belongs (I believe it belongs in private email,
> but that's another matter).  Plan9-tech was a (possibly ill-named)
> place to drop those messages.

don't worry. the moment i looked at that list i reconstructed that
whole argument reasonably accurately.

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 22:34             ` David Leimbach
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

> I'm one of the "guilty" parties regarding plan9-tech.  GSOC requires
> public communications, but I'm entirely unhappy passing "did you
> check bit 11 of the VPN register" level of crap to 9fans - it's
> clearly not where it belongs (I believe it belongs in private email,
> but that's another matter).  Plan9-tech was a (possibly ill-named)
> place to drop those messages.

So it wasn't created for the reasons Uriel cited.  I'm not terribly
surprised that the spin on it was not 100% truthful.

I have absolutely no objections to people ever breaking into smaller
subgroups to work on stuff people think is only tangentially interesting to
the rest of a group.

v9fs is a successful subgroup of folks.  I just learned of the google code
project hosting for Inferno on the DS... I wouldn't think to cram all of
that discussion on 9fans.

Seems that it's not inappropriate to sort of poke one's head in here from
time to time and say "hey look what we're working on and tell us if you
think it's crap" once in a while though :-).  We are all, after all, 9fans
:-)

Frankly, my post-mortem on gsoc won't be very nice.  I should never
> have accepted to work with a student 9 timezones away, even if the
> project is really interesting.  And I certainly could have poured
> arbitrary amounts of time into it, but I'm really unsure where the
> line is between the student's project and my own (essentially
> recreational) coding.

I'm sorry to hear it's not well structured.

@ 2007-08-10 22:39               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-08-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

perhaps we need a 9fans-lists to discuss lists, tho 9fans
seems to cope well.  or give everyone there own list.
oh, that's called filtering.

brucee

@ 2007-08-10 22:41               ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-08-10 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10-Aug-07, at 3:34 PM, David Leimbach wrote:
> I'm sorry to hear it's not well structured.

Less a problem of structure of gsoc than of a mismatch between how
the plan9 community operates, the gsoc expectations, and my over-
expectations.  I think Uriel did a great job getting something
organized and off the ground.  I'm just not sure that as an
"organization" we're a good match - I think we just don't have enough
developers on most of our projects to get a good head of steam going
for most students.

Paul

@ 2007-08-10 22:43             ` Roman Shaposhnick
From: Roman Shaposhnick @ 2007-08-10 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:09 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> I am looking at this right now, just saw it yesterday:
> http://www.uniconsys.com/devkit-ucn2410-c.html
>
> I learned something sad about the motorola and trolltech "open"
> phones. You can get the phone, get the source, build an OS.
>
> You can't load the OS you build.

  The OpenMoko guys were there as well:
      http://www.openmoko.com

  At $300 for the SDK they look interesting enough:
      http://www.openmoko.com/products-neo-base-00-stdkit.html

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-10 22:58               ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have absolutely no objections to people ever breaking into smaller
> subgroups to work on stuff people think is only tangentially interesting to
> the rest of a group.

I just took a quick look at plan9-tech. I think I might have helped
with some of those issues but did not even know the list existed.
There are very few messages, so it's not like we would have been
overwhelmed with traffic.

We're a small group. I still don't see the benefit of making us smaller.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 9fans content
@ 2007-08-11  9:17               ` matt
From: matt @ 2007-08-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You could just build a Plan 9 phone out of parts if you felt like it :

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=66_68