* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15 15:47 ori
From: ori @ 2019-04-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: darren, 9fans

> Hey folks,
>
> I rarely post in-fact maybe my second ever, I was wondering if anyone
> else or a group of us could work towards some window manager UI
> modifications to appear more attractive in some form from the current
> interface appearing in comparison to dwm(on other Nix forks) to a more
> usable friendly interface like gnome, KDE and the like.

I don't think this would fit well on plan 9. There's room for improvement
in what exists,  but I think large and complex environments are liabilities.

It's not something I'd be interested in using.

> I'm just throwing the idea about really, I've not had much time at all
> with Plan9 but from just my bare basic usage I can already see a great
> future for Plan9 as a whole. As I say what with commitments currently
> the last few years I could be way out of my depth and experience even
> mentioning this and don't mind getting flamed a little.

If you want this, you're going to need to write the code.

In general, ideas are cheap, and people are unlikely to pitch in until
they see where you're going. And specifically, people already know where
to go if they want KDE or Gnome.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-17  4:25         ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-04-17  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/17/19, Michael Misch <michaelmisch1985@gmail.com> wrote:
> i tried to solve that problem on Linux, with a wm that tiled set-sized
> windows in a floating grid, but it was always very, very hacky. (For the
> curious, github.com/halfwit/hwwm)

A name (halfwit) worthy of the long-forgotten fortune database!

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-17  4:02       ` Michael Misch
From: Michael Misch @ 2019-04-17  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-17  3:57     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-04-17  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-16 12:54   ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-04-16 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ori Bernstein; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, Ori, that's badass. I'll have to struggle with laziness re:hooking
up to a monitor/rebooting my cpu server to give it a go, but it would be
good to get a feel of what I'm aiming for.

Mart - thanks for pointing out Microviche. I had considered whether zooming
and other features might be neat down the line, if panning felt natural, so
having something to look at for that is great.

As an aside, Lucio, I'd second Ethan in that it's probably worth taking a
look; I'd be surprised if there was more actual code to change than there
was just ramp-up time to understand what you need to change, and a
one-or-two hour excursion into the code would probably get you how much
ramp-up time you need, at which point you could probably make the final
call on whether to move forward.

Thanks!

Marshall

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:59:12 -0400
> Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For example, I feel super squished on a single screen, but I've come to
> > dislike the awkwardness of switching between multiple 'workspaces' or
> > working with tiling wms. So I'm playing around with rio at the moment to
> > see if adding a 'panning' effect, where you treat the desktop as an
> > infinitely-scrollable table and allow the user to 'pan' around the table,
> > could be a natural approach to feeling less squished. It may end up being
> > even more awkward and painful, but it may also end up being something I'm
> > left wanting for in modern DEs - that could be an attraction to 9.
>
> From man 3 vga:
>
>           panning mode
>                Depending on whether mode is on or off, enable or dis-
>                able panning in a virtual screen.  If panning is on and
>                the screen's size is larger than its actualsize, the
>                displayed portion of the screen will pan to follow the
>                mouse.  Setting the panning mode after the first attach
>                of the #i driver has no effect.
>
> --
> Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org>

--
Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-16 10:21   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-16 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019, at 4:56 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:

> Is it worth my while to delve into p9p's innards and see if I can find
> all the locations where this needs to be corrected? Is it going to be
> one locations or far too many?

I couldn't tell you exactly, but I can tell you X window managers can be surprisingly simple things. I looked into wm2 many years ago, a sort of sibling to p9p rio in that both derive from 9wm.  I don't remember anything useful, but I do remember it was not a lot of code.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-16  8:17 ` Mart Zirnask
From: Mart Zirnask @ 2019-04-16  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 15/04/2019, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, I feel super squished on a single screen, but I've come to
> dislike the awkwardness of switching between multiple 'workspaces' or
> working with tiling wms. So I'm playing around with rio at the moment to
> see if adding a 'panning' effect, where you treat the desktop as an
> infinitely-scrollable table and allow the user to 'pan' around the table,
> could be a natural approach to feeling less squished. It may end up being
> even more awkward and painful, but it may also end up being something I'm
> left wanting for in modern DEs - that could be an attraction to 9.

Semi-related, but this reminds me of a Vim plugin, Microviche,
that allows one to "pan and zoom through text":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNiPUTGO28
https://github.com/q335r49/microviche

I'd say Microviche rpresents a text editing paradigm entirely of its
own just like Acme.
I remember having wanted to emulate something similar within Acme
(the feeling of scrolling text panes/columns horizontally), but I
didn't really try.

Mart

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-16  3:54 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-04-16  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here's one of many small issues I would like explained or adjusted: I
can half run rio (p9p's rio) under xnest. I seem to recall Erik
mentioning the option, but in my few efforts, it landed up with the
newly-created windows on the desktop instead of within the rio xnest.

Is it worth my while to delve into p9p's innards and see if I can find
all the locations where this needs to be corrected? Is it going to be
one locations or far too many?

I simply can't sacrifice my browser and skype to rio, my job depends
on those two.

I'm trying hard to wean myself off Thunderbird, I detest that animal
and have made some progress with Erik's upas which doesn't get totally
confused with Dovecot on the IMAP side - very minor tweaks sufficed to
compile under 9legacy (I just copied the le/be module(s) from the
library into the "distribution").

I still need to be able to operate mailman's web interface: replacing
that will with an acme/mail utility is a bit beyond me and in any case
I think mailman's days are numbered, more so now that version 3 is
starting to take shape and is going to obsolete version 2 that by
comparison is a shrew against an elephant.

Lucio.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 58 653 1433
Cell: +27 83 251 5824
FAX: +27 58 653 1435

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15 21:51 sl
From: sl @ 2019-04-15 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-04-15 21:10 ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2019-04-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Marshall Conover

@ 2019-04-15 20:59 Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-04-15 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Darren!

I can see how 9's current UI could be considered a 'roadblock' to the
average user due to its unfamiliarity, and making it closer to modern looks
may make plan 9 pass the smell test for users more often. Personally,
though, it seems like a bit of a slog; there's not much exciting going on
in changing a UI to look like 'every other' UI, and I'd also wonder about
maintenance - you might update it to look familiar now, but in three years
where will it be, especially with web frameworks changing things so
frequently and invading the desktop with elektron? That said, if it does
draw more users, upkeep might get easier (just having people prompting with
issue reports can be productive), and it's genuinely nice to have a more
active community.

But, I'd be really interested to see it taken a step further. Instead of
just a facelift, I'd love to see changes that show a reflection on modern
UIs and their problems, and attempts to fix them. That'd not just remove a
roadblock for new users, but create change that may actually draw them.

For example, I feel super squished on a single screen, but I've come to
dislike the awkwardness of switching between multiple 'workspaces' or
working with tiling wms. So I'm playing around with rio at the moment to
see if adding a 'panning' effect, where you treat the desktop as an
infinitely-scrollable table and allow the user to 'pan' around the table,
could be a natural approach to feeling less squished. It may end up being
even more awkward and painful, but it may also end up being something I'm
left wanting for in modern DEs - that could be an attraction to 9.

In something that I feel relates closer to the heart of 9, one problem I
see in modern UIs is the inability to easily interact between programs.
Each UI acts as an island, and the best generic interface for interaction
you can get between them is allowing programs to send screen clicks, with
the nightmare quickly following of figuring out how to know where to click.
Web APIs are somewhat en route to addressing that with their REST endpoints
and swagger API definitions, but it seems so much more simple to instead
use files and directories over 9p.

Getting really out there, I'd love to see a tightly coupled way of
representing the commands you can send to a program via its ctl file API in
9 and a visual representation of that program in rio. I'd love if the UIs I
was using in a program corresponded to their filesystem API so much as to
be almost a mapping, perhaps even letting you generate a UI from the
filesystem API and some simple mark(down|up). I think a shell that worked
off of this concept could be fascinating - not unlike a browser in some
ways, but in keeping close to the filesystem abstraction, perhaps allowing
for much better interaction with the small, text-stream focused programs
that the unix mentality prefers.

In sum, I'd be happy to see an increase in users from a facelift, but what
I'd love to see are new draws that fix modern problems.

On a more practical level, you may find it notable that the nuklear lib
<https://bitbucket.org/mischief/libnuklear> has been ported for plan 9. It
may be a good start to create a UI that users coming from current workflows
will be comfortable looking at and interacting with. If you want to chat
with the porter of the nuklear lib for 9, you'll find him in this plan
9-focused discord server: https://discord.gg/6daut5T. You may also find
it's a good place for discussion like this.

Thanks for starting the discussion, and good luck!

Marshall

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15 20:04                   ` Michael Misch
From: Michael Misch @ 2019-04-15 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's good to note. (I don't consider "WinGnoKDE" a good counterpoint
anyways) but for example I have reasonably debilitating carpal tunnel
issues, and the heavy mouse use is a major bane to my general enjoyment in
Rio when it happens.

@ 2019-04-15 19:59                 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-15 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Michael Misch wrote:
> The whole thing is a good discussion. plan9's design works, very well; for about 80% of would be users. For differently abled people in any capacity it all falls apart quickly.

Begging your pardon, but for *this* differently abled person it's a huge improvement on WinGnoKDE.  Anyone who wants to make *text selection* complicated ought not to be allowed near a computer, to say nothing of the numerous other problems which get in the way of just getting accustomed to and fluently using traditional GUI.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-15 18:11         ` ab
From: ab @ 2019-04-15 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Darren Wise wrote:
> snip

With all due respect (admittedly, I've thought about this before) but
Plan 9 may be better used as a model of how thoughtful engineering can
produce a great system.

Perhaps better inspiration could be achieved by setting up a public Plan
9 server (or private, it's your server) and letting people interact with
it on their own.

If you want to start smaller, you can always share some code that would
implement some graphical feature you find Plan 9 lacking in. This list
does have a disappointing lack of semicolons.

Good luck.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15 15:44           ` Darren Wise
From: Darren Wise @ 2019-04-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heya folks,

Thanks very much for the replies so far, I'm still reading them as they
come in and when the flutter has calmed down a little I'll then start to
reply. I'm just letting you know I am listening and reading and not
being ignorant firing off some random eMail and then doing-one elsewhere :D

Some very high quality responses so far, good giggles as well! Awesome
insights considering my level of Plan9 usage and knowledge at this stage.

Awesome stuff!

--
WISECORP <https://wisecorp.co.uk>
Darren Wise

The company [ WISECORP ] accepts no liability for the content of this
email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the
information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed
in handwriting. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance
on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

---
https://www.avg.com

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-15 15:10         ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2019-04-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-15 14:27                   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2019-04-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:24:44AM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> And we don't have to wait for a Michelangelo to design a perfect UI!

Of course not.  We already have Mike Okuda.

khm

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15 11:20                   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-04-15 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the only art in window management is how they manage to sustain so
much inconsistency

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-15  7:24                 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2019-04-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What I meant to say is you can't apply aesthetics of art
to UI as the latter has a functional purpose. And we don't
have to wait for a Michelangelo to design a perfect UI!
In other words, I don't think a UI discussion would be
fruitless. Not to replicate KDE/Gnome etc. but to find
other alternatives that feel more in tune with plan9.

@ 2019-04-15  6:41               ` Michael Misch
From: Michael Misch @ 2019-04-15  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-15  6:25             ` Devine Lu Linvega
From: Devine Lu Linvega @ 2019-04-15  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-15  6:12           ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2019-04-15  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-04-15  5:07         ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-04-15  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The thing is, a UI is a combination of far too many personal tastes
and habits and a GUI multi-dimensionally more so. It's like a marble
slab that needs a Michelangelo to turn it into an image.

We've had one Michelangelo and a Rodin and only a few Greek sculptors
in the past, what, three thousand years? Do we really think that a
near infinite number of monkeys is now going to solve that problem,
specially when the marble slab is undergoing its own metamorphosis
underfoot?

Good luck!

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-14 14:19         ` hiro
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: hiro @ 2019-04-14 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> wondering if anyone else or a group of us could work towards

no, you!

* Re: [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-14 11:30         ` Ethan Gardener
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-04-14 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No offense taken, but just to note: I found Plan 9 very refreshing and very useful as it is.  It was a relief after the massive noise and clumsiness of traditional GUI, and the different but still irritating inherent clumsiness and bugginess of terminal emulation. That's not to say Plan 9 is without irritants, but it's the least irritating window system I've ever used.

You know, I'm *sure* that any goodness in today's GUIs is not the result of the paradigm but rather a good deal of care and sense, requiring considerable time and education, respectively.  The paradigm helps by standardising a few aspects of interaction, but you can't just apply it to programs and expect good results. It arguably has too few standards and too many features.  Far too many programs end up with nonsense like Celestia, where View Options is not under View but under the adjacent Render menu. I often want View Options to toggle certain markers, choosing between orienting the view and taking in the scene, but it's too out of the way; it doesn't have a shortcut because the author didn't imagine my use case.  The item browsers which I want even more often don't have keybindings either, which is astonishing! Other options are hidden under sub-menus; immensely fiddly things that they are.

The goodness in Plan 9's interfaces comes largely from a desire not to implement too much.  Instead, many of them are programmable.  Despite this, there are still major faults.  For instance, Acme's own window system is intrusive unless you follow a very specific workflow which was designed for programming only, and doesn't even seem to work for all programmers. Sam's dual clipboards are seriously intrusive for anyone who deals with a lot of snippets of text inside and outside the editor. (I've finally started using Sam now my usage is different, but for the entirety of my actual Plan 9 use it was just too painful.)

Besides, why would we want to attract people who are put off by superficial differences when the differences go all the way down? And, if I remember right, many Linux-lovers have bigger problems with those deeper issues than they do with the window system.  Those who can accept good-but-different internal design can and do accept different interface design.

* [9fans] UI design | enhancements.
@ 2019-04-14  9:58       ` Darren Wise
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Darren Wise @ 2019-04-14  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)