* RE: [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-19  6:15 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-19  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Peter A. Cejchan
Lab of Paleobiology and Paleoecology
Institute of Geology
Academy of Sciences
Rozvojova 135
16502 Prague, Czechia
http://www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan

-----Original Message-----
From: ron minnich [mailto:rminnich@lanl.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:54 AM
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fortune-worthy

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> > However, now, things have been changed, that is, now most of computer
> > users are naive users, and they don't want to LEARN computers.

> Some things never change, and resistance to new technology is one of them.
> But, sooner or later, better new stuff will beat out older crap stuff. It
> just always takes too long, and its easy to get discouraged. Plus, Plan 9

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/106568390/ABSTRACT
How history happens, or why the conventional wisdom is always wrong
John L. Casti
Complexity
Volume 8, Issue 6, 2003. Pages 12-16
Copyright (c) 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

;-)))
++pac.

* Re: [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-20  3:29 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-12-20  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> No the flavor of the week is a move to Windows servers with
> users getting thin clients that connect to them.  I'ld rather
> write something that talks their thin client protocol (if only
> I can figure out what it is).

I don't know how anyone can show a positive ROI for service/server
development and operation in a Windows environment.  The Windows
market -- because of its high maintenance requirements -- has
generated a huge support business ecosystem that benefits from
its complexity and fragility.

* RE: [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-17  5:42 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-17  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> 	"Plan9 is just another Hurd -- a theoretically great OS that
>>> 	only gets used by a few people. The most it can hope for is that
>>> 	its best principles are adopted by a real OS."

>all the same stupid shit people always say. maybe they're right, maybe
wrong.

>But they all said the same thing about Unix, long ago ...

>ron

from the same discussion on slashdot:
I look at a system with plan9 on my desk (currently turned off), I read your answer, and I remember this quote: "The IQ of a crowd is inversely proportional to it's size".

;-)

++pac.

* RE: [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-17  5:27 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-17  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> However, now, things have been changed, that is,
> now most of computer users are naive users, and they
> don't want to LEARN computers.   So, I don't worry about the
> number of Plan 9 users, because it's very natural in these days. So, I use Plan 9 for
> developping, and anything other Linux, and Windows at home.  ☺

I got rid of Windoze some 3 years ago, still tolerating Linux for tasks I cannot (yet) do
on Plan 9 (which is my main environment, both at work, and at home. Don't care what
mainstream people say...

++pac.

* RE: [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-17  5:21 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-17  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > 	"Plan9 is just another Hurd -- a theoretically great OS that
> > 	only gets used by a few people. The most it can hope for is that
> > 	its best principles are adopted by a real OS."

> all the same stupid shit people always say. maybe they're right, maybe
wrong.

> But they all said the same thing about Unix, long ago ...

... oh, those poor believers in that the "invisible hand of market" always selects "the best standards" -- you'll never convince them. Agree with Ron.
++pac.

* [9fans] fortune-worthy
@ 2003-12-17  3:26 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-12-17  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this one comes from a heated slashdot discussion someone had with somebody
else:

	"Plan9 is just another Hurd -- a theoretically great OS that
	only gets used by a few people. The most it can hope for is that
	its best principles are adopted by a real OS."

just letting you know where you are: andrey

ps: i'll gladly accept suggestions as to what this OS may be (inferno is
honorably excluded) and promise to summarize it in the Wiki :)