* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-04 22:47 umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2019-05-04 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you'll need to install hubfs first

not true; just:

srv -c tcp!107.191.50.176!9997 gridchat /n/chat

then read and write from /n/chat/chat in whatever manner you please.

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-07  5:40 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-05-07  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (Incidentally, does 9ants support Go as robustly as 9legacy does? Go
> is critical to my work and so is SSH - sshnet, was it, that provided
> port forwarding? That's another critical feature, so may be OpenVPN,
> but so far that has been too slow on Linux, so it's not a priority.)

recently resurrected sshnet(4). yes, it supports listening connections
now.

openvpn is an absolute kitchensink of options, while still not doing
very much for you.

however, theres a native tinc vpn client (see http://tinc-vpn.org )
i use it to get ipv6 and fixed ipv4 addresses to my home network
from a server, as residential isp's here are unable to offer full
internet service.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-05 15:22 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-05-05 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

type !rc at the bootargs prompt to get a shell, then run:

grep '^02' '#$/pci/'*ctl

which prints the pci information for all network cards. that
should get us closer to why the probing code fails.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-05 15:11 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-05-05 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Next plan9.ini's "rootdir". It is no longer documented in
> plan9.ini(8), but the little code that uses it in bootrc is odd as
> well as at odds with the legacy documentation.

yes! we got it all wrong! it all makes sense in the /lib/namespace
what should happen, but bootrc does it wrong.

> My hope was to give it "9front" as a value and have Fossil serve
> that as the root for a diskless 9front workstation, as in

>      bind -b $rootdir /

> Instead, I find "mount -c /srv/boot $rootdir" which is definitely not
> it.

you are absolutely correct. this is wrong. here is the fix:

http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/rev/1209e04a3af9

> I'm not sure under what circumstances one target a different
> location for the ROOT directory, I would be interested to hear. Of
> course, this conflict needs to be resolved.

> This is starting to get interesting.

yeah. thank you very much! :-)

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-05 14:14 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-05-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have a fun issue where 9front resolution depends on EFI boot method. Via
> firmware interface, I get 1600x900 but via bootloader (EFI file copied to
> esp) I get low resolution.

not so surprising. pure EFI without legacy CSP does not have a VESA BIOS.
all you get is what the bootloader could figure out about the framebuffer
that the firmware set up for us. thats is what we have to work with until
you invoke a native driver to set up a proper mode.

> I can not set resolution via aux/vga so the resolution at boot is the one
> that sticks.

what graphics card is this? when its intel, we have a native driver. it
might just not know about your specific card yet.

> btw: is anyone working on additional WiFi firmware (for example atheros)
> support?

not that i know of.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-05 12:32 cinap_lenrek
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-05-05 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's the 3Com that baffles me. I suspect the two-stage boot (I know
> dangerously little about 9front's boot process) somehow fails to pick
> up a supported device (3c905b - etherelink3).

is this the amd64 kernel or 386 one? the amd64 one does not include
the etherelnk3 driver. the reason is that the amd64 kernel shares its
drivers with the pc kernel, but not all drivers might be ready for
64 bit pointers. so we only include what we can test and verify.

you can try to add the etherelnk3 line to the pc64 config and
rebuild.

if you have this issue with the 386 kernel, then knowing the pci
device id would be a start.

the boot process is nothing special. we have a bootloader that loads
the kernel. the loader uses BIOS/EFI calls to get the kernel from the
boot media so that it does not need drivers. once the kernel
is taking over, it needs a driver.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-04 22:53 umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2019-05-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

info trav

* [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
@ 2019-05-02  4:12 Ryan Gonzalez
From: Ryan Gonzalez @ 2019-05-02  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs