* mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07  1:31 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-07  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Mothra ignores <br> tags, making many forums unreadable. When someone makes a post with a paragraph break Mothra shows the new paragraph appended to the old without even a space.

Selection in text entries isn't great - why? Just about everything on Plan 9 uses the same library for text entry that Rio does, why is Mothra doing it the hard way? Not that I've looked at the code, I haven't, I'm just seeing Mothra 'struggling' here.

--
This is obviously some strange usage of the
word "simple" that I was previously unaware of.

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07  1:36 ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-07-07  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Have you verified that the forums in question are actually
presenting a <br> and not something else?

See how mothra renders this page:

http://iawtp.com/test.html

Now examine the page's code:

<head>
<title>test</title>
this is a <a href="http://google.com">test</a>.
test.
test.

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 11:12   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012, at 08:36 PM, sl@9front.org wrote:
> Have you verified that the forums in question are actually
> presenting a <br> and not something else?

Right. What it's not parsing correctly is <br/>. It also doesn't parse
<hr/> although it parses <hr> correctly. Both errors can be seen at
http://ethan.uk.to/static/brtest.html

We must deal correctly with these trailing slashes because as any fine
upstanding Web 2.0 shithead will tell you, any tag which does not have a
corresponding closing tag must have a / at the end because otherwise
html is simply too hard to parse.

Ehh, regardless of what bollocks they use to justify it, the trailing
slash seems to be required if you want to be taken seriously as a web
designer, everybody uses it.
There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them.
-- George Orwell

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 12:22   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-07 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

works like intended.

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 13:13     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

fixed.

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 13:39 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yeah, mothra doesnt use libframe. it has its own ui toolkit
library called libpanel written by tom duff. thats just how
it is. should be possible to emulate acme or sam text entry
more closely. it already got chording and snarf support.

i dont heavily use mothra for text entry, so i dont notice
mutch. any takers for this are welcome.

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 15:46   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:39:41 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> yeah, mothra doesnt use libframe. it has its own ui toolkit
> library called libpanel written by tom duff. thats just how
> it is. should be possible to emulate acme or sam text entry
> more closely. it already got chording and snarf support.
>
> i dont heavily use mothra for text entry, so i dont notice
> mutch. any takers for this are welcome.

for anyone looking at it, what's most annoying is the absence of mouse
control or any mouse positioning at all in single-line fields,
including the main url.

also just noticed another thing for the list: it's strange to only see
one option at a time in an option menu, and I imagine scrolling would
get impossibly fiddly if there were more than 5 or 6 options. see the
session time option here for example: https://www.fastmail.fm/

--

@ 2012-07-07 16:03       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-07 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:13:31 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> fixed.

thanks! it's not right yet, it's still treating multiple consecutive br
tags as one, but it's a definite improvement.

--

@ 2012-07-07 17:11     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

well, i think this is because the website uses size=1 attribute on the
select tag:

<select size="1" id="sessiontimeselect" tabindex="11" accesskey="t" name="FLN-SessionTime"><option value="1800">30 mins</option>
<option value="3600">1 hour</option>
<option value="7200" selected="selected">2 hours</option>
<option value="14400">4 hours</option>
<option value="28800">8 hours</option>
</select>

really, why do i have to figure this shit out all the time? i hate
html. i dont like html. i hate webbrowsers. i dont use that fucking
lastfm site.

why is anybody just complaining and not reading the fucking sourcode
and just fucking fixing things. >:-(

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 17:31     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-07 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

fixed.

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 18:08     ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-07-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> > Have you verified that the forums in question are actually
> > presenting a <br> and not something else?
>
> Right. What it's not parsing correctly is <br/>. It also doesn't parse
> <hr/> although it parses <hr> correctly. Both errors can be seen at
> http://ethan.uk.to/static/brtest.html

Note: I have not yet updated to the newest changes committed
while I was asleep last night.

It seems <br> and <br /> were handled more ore less correctly,
while <br/> was treated as what appears to be two spaces. It
is true that multiple consecutive tags were treated as only one.

term% webfs -d >[2]out
term% hget http://ethan.uk.to/static/brtest.html
hget: too many errors with no progress host unreachable
term% cat out
term% ip/ping -n 3 ethan.uk.to
sending 3 64 byte messages 1000 ms apart to icmp!ethan.uk.to!1
0: rtt 163652 µs, avg rtt 163652 µs, ttl = 40
1: rtt 157109 µs, avg rtt 160380 µs, ttl = 40
2: rtt 140876 µs, avg rtt 153879 µs, ttl = 40

-sl

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 18:09       ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-07-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> really, why do i have to figure this shit out all the time? i hate
> html. i dont like html. i hate webbrowsers. i dont use that fucking
> lastfm site.
>
> why is anybody just complaining and not reading the fucking sourcode
> and just fucking fixing things. >:-(

Most likely the slackers in question simply don't know what to do,
and so they do nothing.

-sl

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 18:10         ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-07-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Most likely the slackers in question simply don't know what to do,
> and so they do nothing.

That's not precisely true. Some of the submit bug reports.

-sl

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-07 23:31       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 19:11:05 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> really, why do i have to figure this shit out all the time? i hate
> html. i dont like html. i hate webbrowsers. i dont use that fucking
> lastfm site.

I was just throwing things on the pile for "any takers". I'm not sure
why I bothered writing it out, to be honest, because after I posted I
reflected on how many bajillion things Mothra still needs doing to
reach Abaco's level in rendering. Blame it on 2 hours sleep in about 2
days. That's half-fixed now, at least. Ugh, web + lack of sleep, why
did I bother? Clearly I have been neglecting to attend the Church of
Mothra. Oh wait...

--

@ 2012-07-08  0:07         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-07-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

mothra will never reach that level. mothra doesnt know about the
boxes. it sees a html page as a list of rectangles that can have
text or images or panels in it. it has no box model, no idea of
the nesting hirarchy of stuff, no dom.

the little things that got added to mothra where simple and well
within its capabilities.

tables, divs, css, js... all that will never work with the data
structures mothra uses.

so shouldnt we spend our time writing a real webbrowser that can
potentially do all these web things? i dont want to. i want to
spend *less* time trying to emulate the braindamaged stuff coming
from traditional operating systems and concentrate more on what
we can do with plan9.

mothra is still good for lots of things. even with its flaws and
somtimes it is usefull especially because it does *not* implement
some major web feature :)

--
cinap

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-08  4:15       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-08  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:08:10 -0500
sl@9front.org wrote:

> > > Have you verified that the forums in question are actually
> > > presenting a <br> and not something else?
> >
> > Right. What it's not parsing correctly is <br/>. It also doesn't parse
> > <hr/> although it parses <hr> correctly. Both errors can be seen at
> > http://ethan.uk.to/static/brtest.html
>
> Note: I have not yet updated to the newest changes committed
> while I was asleep last night.
>
> It seems <br> and <br /> were handled more ore less correctly,
> while <br/> was treated as what appears to be two spaces. It
> is true that multiple consecutive tags were treated as only one.

I think it was treated as nothing at all if there was no whitespace
between the tags. *nods*

> term% webfs -d >[2]out
> term% hget http://ethan.uk.to/static/brtest.html
> hget: too many errors with no progress host unreachable
> term% cat out
> term% ip/ping -n 3 ethan.uk.to
> sending 3 64 byte messages 1000 ms apart to icmp!ethan.uk.to!1
> 0: rtt 163652 µs, avg rtt 163652 µs, ttl = 40
> 1: rtt 157109 µs, avg rtt 160380 µs, ttl = 40
> 2: rtt 140876 µs, avg rtt 153879 µs, ttl = 40

Yeah, Ethernet lead slipped out again. A couple more weeks & I'll get a
t61 and then I can stop trying to use my CPU server as a terminal.

--

@ 2012-07-08  5:34           ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-08  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 02:07:40 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> mothra will never reach that level. mothra doesnt know about the
> boxes. it sees a html page as a list of rectangles that can have
> text or images or panels in it. it has no box model, no idea of
> the nesting hirarchy of stuff, no dom.
>
> the little things that got added to mothra where simple and well
> within its capabilities.
>
> tables, divs, css, js... all that will never work with the data
> structures mothra uses.

Ah. Speaking purely hypothetically, if you've got a list of boxes
what's to prevent putting them side by side sometimes? Or even within a
grid, but then the grid would have to be coded, I guess.

> so shouldnt we spend our time writing a real webbrowser that can
> potentially do all these web things? i dont want to. i want to
> spend *less* time trying to emulate the braindamaged stuff coming
> from traditional operating systems and concentrate more on what
> we can do with plan9.
>
> mothra is still good for lots of things. even with its flaws and
> somtimes it is usefull especially because it does *not* implement
> some major web feature :)

Yeah. Just the other day I was thinking of stripping font color support
from Abaco. :)

--

@ 2012-07-08 21:00             ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2012-07-08 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Yeah. Just the other day I was thinking of stripping font color support
> from Abaco. :)

Please do. I will love you forever. Font color support shouldn't even be a feature.

--
Veety

* Re: mothra ignores <br>, funky text entry
@ 2012-07-09  4:16               ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-07-09  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:00:36 -0400
Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah. Just the other day I was thinking of stripping font color support
> > from Abaco. :)
>
> Please do. I will love you forever. Font color support shouldn't even be a feature.
>
> --
> Veety

Some pages look so nice though.

--

@ 2012-07-09 15:01                 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2012-07-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Timecube.com needs font color support for proper display.
So, just no.