* Debian port of Plan 9
@ 2014-12-01  1:59 Marty
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Marty @ 2014-12-01  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi list,

I'm still new to Plan 9. My current desktop is Debian, so I am looking
for way to combine both interests.

How feasible would it be to do a Debian port of Plan 9, like the Debian
GNU/Hurd experimental port, and how suitable would 9front be as a
starting point?

If this happens, I see 9front as an upstream source for Debian, not a
competing project. I'm looking at 9front because it looks like the most
active Plan 9 project at the moment.

A Debian port would entail:

  - multiple architecture support
  - porting the packaging system (dpkg/apt)
  - porting all the apps
  - adding the missing drivers
  - following Debian policy and release schedule
  - finding Debian developers who will sponsor and sustain the port

I don't know anything about getting approval for such a project, but
if it happens I think there will be a lot of interest. Debian seems like
a natural fit because it is the only distro (that I know of) that
supports alternate OSs and kernels, and Plan 9 would be the first to
do both. The port could also be done unofficially, but it would have
less visibility and support.

There are many porting issues. A large number of Debian apps use dbus,
so that might be a biggest obstacle to porting (this is a general
problem in Debian ports). Could 9p be used instead as a dbus
replacement? I don't know much about either protocol, but 9p seems like
a more professionally engineered solution.

Unix APIs, POSIX and FHS are also porting issues to contend with, but I
am hoping the Plan 9 for User Space will alleviate some of those. For
graphics apps, could ports be done from one of the frame buffer
ports, like the Debian ARM port? I have more questions, but I'll stop
there. Thanks,

Marty

* Re: [9front] Debian port of Plan 9
@ 2014-12-01  2:00 ` Jacob Todd
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Todd @ 2014-12-01  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

no.

* Re: [9front] Debian port of Plan 9
@ 2014-12-01  2:11 ` Daniel Camolês
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Camolês @ 2014-12-01  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Can't wait for systemd on Plan9!

@ 2014-12-01  2:34 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2014-12-01  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com>:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm still new to Plan 9. My current desktop is Debian, so I am looking
> for way to combine both interests.
>
> How feasible would it be to do a Debian port of Plan 9, like the Debian
> GNU/Hurd experimental port, and how suitable would 9front be as a
> starting point?
>
> If this happens, I see 9front as an upstream source for Debian, not a
> competing project. I'm looking at 9front because it looks like the most
> active Plan 9 project at the moment.
>
> A Debian port would entail:
>
>  - multiple architecture support
>  - porting the packaging system (dpkg/apt)
>  - porting all the apps
>  - adding the missing drivers
>  - following Debian policy and release schedule
>  - finding Debian developers who will sponsor and sustain the port
>
> I don't know anything about getting approval for such a project, but
> if it happens I think there will be a lot of interest. Debian seems like
> a natural fit because it is the only distro (that I know of) that
> supports alternate OSs and kernels, and Plan 9 would be the first to
> do both. The port could also be done unofficially, but it would have
> less visibility and support.
>
> There are many porting issues. A large number of Debian apps use dbus,
> so that might be a biggest obstacle to porting (this is a general
> problem in Debian ports). Could 9p be used instead as a dbus
> replacement? I don't know much about either protocol, but 9p seems like
> a more professionally engineered solution.
>
> Unix APIs, POSIX and FHS are also porting issues to contend with, but I
> am hoping the Plan 9 for User Space will alleviate some of those. For
> graphics apps, could ports be done from one of the frame buffer
> ports, like the Debian ARM port? I have more questions, but I'll stop
> there. Thanks,
>
> Marty

get out

* RE: [9front] Debian port of Plan 9

[...]