* [Caml-list] Survey on OCaml usage/needs in the industry
@ 2011-05-04  7:46 Fabrice Le Fessant
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-05-04  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear OCaml users,

  As OCamlPro is starting its activity, one of our main concern is to
drag new industrial companies towards OCaml in the medium term. To
better understand how to convince them that they should use OCaml, we
are conducting a short survey on the main benefits of using OCaml, from
outside of the academic world, and on the main needs/obstacles that we
should target, to make OCaml more appealing for industrial users.

  If your company uses OCaml at a large scale, i.e. if you are among a
team (at least two ;-) ) of OCaml developers, we would be interested to
hear about the reasons why your company chose OCaml for developing
software, and about the problems you meet using OCaml, so that we can
work on it. Here is the link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R7BB6PL

Thanks a lot,
Fabrice LE FESSANT
--
OCamlPro Scientific Advisor
http://www.ocamlpro.com/

[-- Attachment #2: fabrice_le_fessant.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Fabrice LE FESSANT
n:LE FESSANT;Fabrice
org:INRIA Saclay -- Ile-de-France;P2P & OCaml
adr;quoted-printable:;;Parc Orsay Universit=C3=A9 ;Orsay CEDEX;;91893;France
email;internet:fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr
title;quoted-printable:Charg=C3=A9 de Recherche
tel;work:+33 1 74 85 42 14
tel;fax:+33 1 74 85 42 49
url:http://fabrice.lefessant.net/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: [Caml-list] Survey on OCaml usage/needs in the industry
@ 2011-05-04  9:13 ` David MENTRE
       [not found] ` <171097462.834233.1304500469143.JavaMail.root@zmbs4.inria.fr>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David MENTRE @ 2011-05-04  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

2011/5/4 Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant@inria.fr>:
> better understand how to convince them that they should use OCaml, we
> are conducting a short survey on the main benefits of using OCaml, from
> outside of the academic world, and on the main needs/obstacles that we
> should target, to make OCaml more appealing for industrial users.

Will you share the results of this survey?

Sincerely yours,
david

@ 2011-05-04  9:20   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-05-04  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: caml-list

On 05/04/2011 11:14 AM, David MENTRE wrote:
> Will you share the results of this survey?

Yes, of course, but I don't know yet at which level of details, as going
into details might require to anonymize the responses.

Fabrice

@ 2011-05-04 14:05 ` rixed
       [not found] ` <1082521165.840718.1304517942954.JavaMail.root@zmbs4.inria.fr>
From: rixed @ 2011-05-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> we would be interested to
> hear about the reasons why your company chose OCaml for developing
> software

What about a survey about why our companies chose _not_ to use OCaml ?
Wouldn't be useful as well ?

@ 2011-05-04 15:25   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-05-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 05/04/2011 04:05 PM, rixed@happyleptic.org wrote:
>> we would be interested to
>> hear about the reasons why your company chose OCaml for developing
>> software
>
> What about a survey about why our companies chose _not_ to use OCaml ?
> Wouldn't be useful as well ?

Actually, it is part of the survey, but the question is about the
"needs" of those who chose it, but it can also be seen as the reasons
why your company chose not to use it, because those needs were not filled.

Anyway, of course, if anybody is part of a company where a discussion
happened about using or not OCaml, feel free to reply to the survey, as
the questions are "opened", so that you can add comments wherever you want.

Fabrice

@ 2011-12-12 21:42     ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2011-12-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: caml-list

-[ Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:20:36AM +0200, Fabrice Le Fessant ]----
> > Will you share the results of this survey?
>
> Yes, of course, but I don't know yet at which level of details, as going
> into details might require to anonymize the responses.

So, nothing interresting emerged from that survey?