* [Caml-list] teaching OCaml
@ 2014-11-25 16:03 robert.muller2
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: robert.muller2 @ 2014-11-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Greetings. Bob Muller here, in the CS dept. at Boston College. I've set out to
develop an intro CS course in ML that I hope will be well-suited for similar
universities in the US. My original plan was to teach the course in SML but
after talking with a few people at neighboring schools, I switched to OCaml. I
am now in the final weeks of the first run of the course.  I plan to document
my experience more fully at some point but I wanted to touch base with the
OCaml community because I'm teaching the course again in the spring and I am
leaning toward switching to F#.

While OCaml has in many respects been great and it's easy to see that my
students find the OCaml style of coding very compelling, there are significant
problems. Of course, OCaml wasn't designed for teaching but I'm hoping that
someone on this list might be able to advise me about solutions to some of
these that I just don't know about.

1. Error messages: It's difficult to give good type errors for ML but I was
hoping that the state-of-the-art of type error reporting had improved. When my
students receive a type error, they are utterly mystified,

2. GUIs: several of my problem sets work with simple graphics (e.g., rendering
tessellations) or animations (e.g., a maze walk or a simplified form of
tetris, or the game "Flow"). We have been hobbling along with the Graphics and
Labltk modules for this but it has been more pain than my students ought to
know. We also have some problem sets that work with audio so I would like
support for that.

Any thoughts, ideas and/or leads on either of these would be much appreciated.
I already plan to look at js_of_ocaml more closely.
Thank you,
Bob Muller

* [Caml-list]  teaching OCaml
@ 2014-11-25 16:43 Arthur Charguéraud
From: Arthur Charguéraud @ 2014-11-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Bob,

I have been teaching OCaml for a while, and like you I found error
messages to be a major issue. This motivated my recent work on
improving type error messages for OCaml.

My patch is ready for action.

opam switch 4.03.0+pr102
ocamlc -new-type-errors -strict-sequence test.ml

For more information: http://arthur.chargueraud.org/teach/ocaml/

If you have a chance to try it on beginners, please share your feedback!

Best,
Arthur Charguéraud

PS: I know of on-going efforts to try and improve parsing errors too
---it be great to have those fixed too.

PPS: although my patch is usable, I have planned to fix a few things.
- Have a two-column display for type errors on applications,
     with expected types and provided types.
- Remove bracket delimiters around types and use newlines instead.
- Have "-new-type-errors" imply "-strict-sequence",
- Document the fact it does not support GADTs, and does not
    typecheck with "-principal", in particular code that uses overloading
    of record fields.
- Isolate the code associated with "-new-type-errors" so that the patch
    may have a chance of being considered for integration in OCaml.

> Greetings. Bob Muller here, in the CS dept. at Boston College. I've set out to
> develop an intro CS course in ML that I hope will be well-suited for similar
> universities in the US. My original plan was to teach the course in SML but
> after talking with a few people at neighboring schools, I switched to OCaml. I
> am now in the final weeks of the first run of the course.  I plan to document
> my experience more fully at some point but I wanted to touch base with the
> OCaml community because I'm teaching the course again in the spring and I am
> leaning toward switching to F#.
>
> While OCaml has in many respects been great and it's easy to see that my
> students find the OCaml style of coding very compelling, there are significant
> problems. Of course, OCaml wasn't designed for teaching but I'm hoping that
> someone on this list might be able to advise me about solutions to some of
> these that I just don't know about.
>
> 1. Error messages: It's difficult to give good type errors for ML but I was
> hoping that the state-of-the-art of type error reporting had improved. When my
> students receive a type error, they are utterly mystified,
>
> 2. GUIs: several of my problem sets work with simple graphics (e.g., rendering
> tessellations) or animations (e.g., a maze walk or a simplified form of
> tetris, or the game "Flow"). We have been hobbling along with the Graphics and
> Labltk modules for this but it has been more pain than my students ought to
> know. We also have some problem sets that work with audio so I would like
> support for that.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas and/or leads on either of these would be much appreciated.
> I already plan to look at js_of_ocaml more closely.
> Thank you,
> Bob Muller
>
> --

[parent not found: <16574.54515.560699.848619@gargle.gargle.HOWL>]
* [Caml-list] Teaching OCaml
@ 2004-05-17 11:28 Simão Melo de Sousa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simão Melo de Sousa @ 2004-05-17 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, Simão Melo de Sousa

It looks like my previous post never reached the caml-list.
So, accept my apologies if you receive my post twice.

------

Hi!

There is, in the Computer Science department of my university, a
interesting discussion about the programming languages that we should
teach.  Because I defend that functional programming (Haskell,
etc... but Ocaml in particular) has to be teach among other
"classical" paradigms, I have to prepare a talk about the relevance of
the functional programming paradigm in general and OCaml in
particular.

I know that this kind of topic have been already discussed and that
there is a lot of available "material". Nevertheless, I'm interested in
   any suggestions, links to papers, slides, sites...

I'm particularly interested in two kind of informations:

1) material (list of facts, etc..) that describes the good features of
OCaml (in conceptual terms but also in pratical terms) from the point of
view of both the Academy and the Industry.
2) url of Caml based functional programming courses sites

Thanks a lot!
Simao Melo de Sousa
ps: Use my email for answers, I will reply to the list with a digest of
them.

Simão Melo de Sousa            | Professor Auxiliar
* -> ., # -> @ => email Simão -> desousa#di*ubi*pt
Departamento de Informática    | http://www.di.ubi.pt/~desousa
Universidade da Beira Interior | Tel: +351 275 319 891
Rua Marquês d'Ávila e Bolama   | Fax: +351 275 319 732
6200-001 Covilhã, PORTUGAL.