categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Small is beautiful
@ 2010-01-05 17:31 F William Lawvere
From: F William Lawvere @ 2010-01-05 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories, pare

Bob Pare' made the excellent point that not only size but quality
is relevant.
I definitely agree with the spirit of his remarks.

Bob happens to have used in passing the term 'syntactic'.
For clarity, the use of that term needs to be sharpened to avoid
misunderstanding.

Actually, the term 'syntax' refers NOT to small categories such as
algebraic theories or rings, but rather to their PRESENTATION by
signatures or by polynomial generators, et cetera. The process
of presentation is an adjoint pair quite distinct from the
semantical adjoint pair: both adjoint pairs have a category of
theories or of rings in common but are otherwise quite
independent.

In particular, syntax is NOT the adjoint of semantics. Cratylus,
Chomsky, and their 21st century followers can be refuted by
looking soberly at the actual practice of mathematics (wherein
the construction of sequences of words and of diagrams
is pursued with great care for the purpose of communication.
That syntax is only remotely dependent on the structure of the
content that is to be communicated).

Both of the functors

?--------------> theories -------------->Large categories
         Syntax                                      Semantics

are needed.  The domain category of the first can be chosen
in various useful ways: sketches or diagrams of signatures et cetera.

Happy new year!

Bill

On Fri 01/01/10  9:48 AM , pare@mathstat.dal.ca (Robert Pare) sent:

> [...]
> distinction between sets and classes is often thought of in terms
> of size but Russell's problem with the set of all sets was not one of
> size but rather of the nature of sets. Once you think you have the set
> of all sets, you can construct another set which you had missed.
> I.e. the notion is changing, slippery. There are set theories where
> you can have a subclass of a set which is not a set (c.f. Vopenka,
> e.g.)Smallness is more a question of representability: a functor may fail to
> be representable because it's too big (no solution set) or, more often,
> because it's badly behaved (doesn't preserve products, say).
> Subfunctorsof representables are not usually representable.
>
> In our work on indexed categories, Schumacher and I had tried to treat
> this question by considering categories equipped with a groupoid of
> isomorphisms, which we called *canonical*, and then consider functors
> defined up to canonical isomorphism. In small categories only
> identitieswere canonical whereas in large categories, all isomorphisms were
> canonical.Our ideas were a bit naive and not well developed and earned us some
> ridicule,so we quietly stopped talking about it. Recently, Makkai developed
> an extensive theory of functors defined up to isomorphisms, FOLDS, but
> did not consider the possibility of specifying which isomorphisms ahead
> of time, so small categories were not included.
>
> When I used to teach category theory, before Dalhousie made me chuck my
> chalk chuck, I would tell students there were two kinds of categories
> inpractice. Large ones which are categories of structures, corresponding
> tovarious branches of mathematics we wished to study. These categories
> supported various universal constructions, all defined up to
> isomorphism.Two large categories are considered to be the same if they are
> equivalent.It was considered impolite to ask if two objects were equal. Then
> there are the small categories which are used to study the large ones.
> These are syntactic in nature. For these, one can't expect the kinds of
> universal constructions that large categories have, but now it's okay,
> even necessary, to consider equality between objects. I went on to say
> that there were then four kinds of functors. Functors between large
> categorieswere to be thought of as constructions of one structure from another,
> e.g.the group ring. Functors between small categories were interpretations
> ofone theory in another or reindexing or rearranging. Functors from small
> to large categories were models or diagrams in the large one. These
> kindsof functors are perhaps the most important of the four, although this
> maybe debatable. The fourth kind, from large to small are rarer. They can
> be thought of as gradings or partitions of the large category.
>
> Well, after these ramblings, perhaps my message is lost. So here it is:
> Small categories -> equality of objects okay
> Large categories -> equality of objects not okay

* small is beautiful
@ 2010-01-08 14:33 Paul Taylor
From: Paul Taylor @ 2010-01-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

I largely agree with Bob Pare's New Year's Day posting, and disagree
with those who disagree with him, although Albert Burroni is right to
generalise from categories to structures.

 > ... there were two kinds of categories in practice.  [Large and
small.]

 > I went on to say that there were then four kinds of functors.
 > - Functors between large categories were to be thought of as
constructions
 >   of one structure from another, e.g. the group ring.
 > - Functors between small categories were interpretations of
 >   one theory in another or reindexing or rearranging.
 > - Functors from small to large categories were models or diagrams
 >   in the large one. These kinds of functors are perhaps the most
important
 >   of the four, although this may be debatable.
 > - The fourth kind, from large to small are rarer. They can be thought
 >   of as gradings or partitions of the large category.

 > Small categories -> equality of objects okay
 > Large categories -> equality of objects not okay
 > Small is beautiful, not evil.

I would, however, like to substitute INTERNAL for SMALL.

Tradionally, a "small" category is one with a "set" of objects and
morphisms.
However, since set theory is the problem and not the solution to the
foundations of mathematics, we can avoid this by translating "set" into
"object of a topos" and more generally a lex category  (one with
pullbacks
and a terminal object") or an arithmetic universe.

(I believe that there was a development of "locally internal" instead of
"locally small" categories by some French categorists in the 1970s  --
Burroni again maybe?.)

Having done this, I would like to rescue the word "set" from the set
theorists,
and use it to mean "object of a topos", lex category or arithmetic
universe.

Vaughan Pratt's remark that "FinSet is an essentially small category" is
entirely consistent with what Bob said.

FinSet is a LARGE category for which there is a SMALL category "finset"
(whose set of objects is N) and a WEAK EQUIVALENCE, ie a full and
faithful
functor  finset->FinSet  that is essentially surjective.   This is one
of
the "most important" functors, according to Bob.

An internal category (and more generally internal structure) of course
inherits equality from its carrier, which is by definition a set (object
of a topos or lex category).

A large category or external structure has no carrier, and therefore
no notion of equality, as Bob said.

Another way of seeing the large/small or external/internal distinction
is that a small or internal structure gives a NAME to the external one,
which we may conversely call the SEMANTICS (meaning) of the name.

So, again, I agree with Bob in identifing semantics/syntax with
large/small.

You might object that this is a syntax without an alphabet of symbols.

Again we need an internal notion, this time an INTERNAL LANGUAGE.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have muddled up the terminology here.

What *I* mean by an internal language is an internal structure of a
suitable
kind for investigating formal grammar.   For example, its set of "words"
is the internal free monoid on its set of "letters", which is why we
need
an arithmetic universe.

Regrettably, other people have used the phrase "internal language" to
mean a language that is equivalent to a structure, which I call a
PROPER LANGUAGE, where I have anglicised French "propre" or Italian
"proprio".

Given, for example, an internal CCC,
it has a proper language that is an INTERNAL SIMPLY TYPED LAMBDA
CALCULUS.
 From this we may construct the internal CATEGORY OF CONTEXTS AND
SUBSTITUTIONS,
which is the internal CLASSIFYING CATEGORY for the lambda calculus,
in particular having an internal stucture-preserving functor
to the given internal CCC,
and this is an interval equivalence.

(I'm not going to go into whether it is a weak or a strong equivalence
--
see Section 7.6 of "Practical Foundations" for this.)

Besides the book, please see also
mathoverflow.net/questions/8731/categorical-foundations-without-set-
theory

Paul Taylor

* Small is beautiful
@ 2010-01-01 14:48 Robert Pare