categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Explanations
@ 2011-05-01 21:27 peasthope
From: peasthope @ 2011-05-01 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: peasthope

From:	Charles Wells <charles@abstractmath.org>
Date:	Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:58:14 -0500
> In the expression "any x:T->X" the T depends on x.

Why not x depends on T?  Having objects prior to maps seems
more natural than maps prior to objects.

> I would call it "suppression of dependence".

Will try to store that concept away for future reference.

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

[parent not found: <609PDdViw1024S04.1304197762@web04.cms.usa.net>]
* Re: Explanations
@ 2011-04-30 21:09 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-04-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peasthope; +Cc: categories

Hi, Peter,

Actually, the word "other" below introduces a red herring:
there is in fact every reason *not* to wish to restrict
attention only to objects O *other* than E or T or X -- indeed,
I can imagine that there might be settings in which there are
*no* objects "other than" E or T or X, in which case the
Wikipedia verbiage quoted paints you into a corner you really
*don't* want to be in :-) .

Cheers, -- Fred

From: Ellis D. Cooper @ 2011-04-28 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In direct response to "computation alone is not mathematics, and
neither is intuition alone. The former is typical of machines,
whereas the latter is typical of artists" by Marta Bunge I would say
rigor cleans the window through which intuition shines. Category
theory is a house with many windows.

Ellis D. Cooper

* Re: Explanations
@ 2011-04-27  8:16 Mattias Wikström
From: Mattias Wikström @ 2011-04-27  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> On 26/04/2011 06:55, Timothy Porter wrote:
> In category theory, many proofs are transparent and of the form: what do
> we know about the situation, just one fact, so we have to use that....
> it works. (I am thinking of classical Yoneda lemma type situations,
> since the only elements in hom-sets that we can be sure exist are the
> identities.) [...]

The question is: "What facts and what objects do we have?", "What is
given?". In general we need to work with what is directly given in
order to arrive at some indirectly given thing that we are seeking
(what we are seeking has to be given in some sense, or else the
problem cannot be solved).

In category-theoretic terms we can think of what is given as a
subobject A of some larger object B in an allegory (where B represents
things that "exist" but which we may or may not be able to refer to).
A subobject of B is then given just in case it factors through A. (For
this to work well the allegory we are working with should contain lots
of different objects so that "subobject of X" and "part of X" become
practically synonymous.)

We may also view things in terms of symmetry and invariants. We are
directly given certain subobjects A1, A2, ..., An of some object B in
an allegory and we are indirectly given any subobject of B which stays
invariant as we apply isomorphisms to B that fix A1, A2, ..., An. (The
earlier object A would be the smallest subobject of B containing A1,
A2, ..., An as parts.)

Finally, we can view what we are given as a theory (axiom system), and
the question is what can be defined/specified/referred to in that
theory. Of course, mathematics inevitably involves axiom systems, but
any theorem which starts "for all ..." can be thought of as involving
an axiom system of its own.

Mattias

* Re: Explanations
@ 2011-04-22 13:55 Graham White
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Graham White @ 2011-04-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

And the folklore is (I haven't checked this in a proper history book)
that Gauss proved quadratic reciprocity numerous times because he didn't
consider the proofs sufficiently explanatory. It's certainly true that
modern proofs (i.e. those using the methods of algebraic number theory)
generalise it, and thereby explain, for example, what it is about the
rationals, and the number two, that makes primes in the rationals obey
quadratic reciprocity. I think one conclusion here is that, if you say
"explanatory", I am entitled to answer "so what do you want explained?"

Another point is this: there are lots of combinatorial
identities of the form

big ugly formula_1 = big ugly formula_2

which can be proved directly (for example, by induction
and a lot of algebra), but where the proof is utterly unilluminating.
And in many cases there are more conceptual proofs which people
generally find more illuminating (depending on taste, of course).

Graham

From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-04-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Pierre Marquis; +Cc: categories

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:04:09 AM EDT, Jean-Pierre Marquis
<jean-pierre.marquis@umontreal.ca> asked:

> ... some people claim that there are mathematical proofs that are
> explanatory, that is, not only do they establish the claim they prove,
> but they also show why the given result holds.
>
> ... is there any proof, involving categories or not (but preferably so),
> that you would consider as being explanatory in this sense? ...

My goodness! I'd turn that question around: is there any proof (apart
from an "indirect" proof, or "proof by contradiction") that one would
*not* "consider as being explanatory in this sense?"

Cheers, -- Fred

* Explanations
@ 2011-04-19 23:37 Jean-Pierre Marquis
From: Jean-Pierre Marquis @ 2011-04-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi,

I have a general question which is not strictly speaking about categories, but I thought I would ask the members of the list anyhow. Here is the context: some people claim that there are mathematical proofs that are explanatory, that is, not only do they establish the claim they prove, but they also show why the given result holds.

Here is my question: is there any proof, involving categories or not (but preferably so), that you would consider as being explanatory in this sense? Please answer off-list.

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Marquis
Professeur titulaire