* Making notes in a newsgroup
@ 1998-10-01 19:16 Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-10-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sometimes I wish to make some notes to myself on or next to an article.
Does Gnus support this?  Maybe cache the article and edit the cache
copy?  And/or create a fake followup from myself in the cache?  The
latter might also be useful so I can type part of a followup-to-be and
have it visible in the newsgroup and thread, instead of the drafts folder.
Or maybe the newsgroup cache would *be* the drafts folder for that group?

--
Hallvard

* Re: Making notes in a newsgroup
@ 1998-10-01 19:38 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-10-01 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Sometimes I wish to make some notes to myself on or next to an article.
> Does Gnus support this?  Maybe cache the article and edit the cache
> copy?  And/or create a fake followup from myself in the cache?  The
> latter might also be useful so I can type part of a followup-to-be and
> have it visible in the newsgroup and thread, instead of the drafts folder.
> Or maybe the newsgroup cache would *be* the drafts folder for that group?

Having studied on this some, I don't believe gnus supports allowing
edited posts in the newsgroup itself.  However any Newsgroup post can
be edited just like a mail message if you prefix the 'e' (edit)
command with C-u .  Then you can edit but not save it back to the
group in NNTP groups.  Must save it somewhere else.

I have some code worked out that makes it fairly handy to do.  (lots
of help form Kai G)  Although its rough spots are thoroughly my doing.

If you want this sent privately. I will.  Or even post it here as it
is fairly brief.  But not smooth and professionsal.

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1

* Re: Making notes in a newsgroup
@ 1998-10-08  7:25   ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-10-08  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you want this sent privately. I will.  Or even post it here as it
> is fairly brief.  But not smooth and professionsal.

Yes, I'd likt to see it!

--

@ 1998-10-08 15:53     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-10-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> > If you want this sent privately. I will.  Or even post it here as it
> > is fairly brief.  But not smooth and professionsal.
>
> Yes, I'd likt to see it!

[Posting here hoping to get some comments on better ways to do this,
or if something similar might be incorporated into gnus]

This setup allows you to use any editing mode (gnus-article-edit) or
(message-mode) Assuming the use of `Message'. To edit an article and
send it to the (`nnml' in this case) group of your choice, allowing
completion to find the group.

This is *not* exactly what you were after. To have edited articles
stored in newgroups.  But does smooth the handling of edited posts a
bit.

All works OK but you must kill the editing buffer once the edited
message is sent where you want it to go.  It would be nice if that
happened automatically, but I've gotten used to it as is so have been
to lazy to figure that out.

If you invoke this function while in Reply or Followup, since the
operation that invoked an editing mode is not completed you may need
to add certain info, if you want it in the edited version, such as
Date.

Whatever editing mode you chose, as long as the edits are not saved
with `C-c C-c' then the original

The best use is `gnus-article-edit-mode' (e) which can be invoked in a
newsgroup by `C-u e' (thanks Lars)

One reason to use Reply or Followup, even `S 0 m'
(`gnus-summary-mail-forward') is that you can process mark a number of
interesting articles show them all in one buffer and edit as you
like. Then invoke the `hp-insert-into-group' funtion to send it where
you want.  To be reviewed, studied etc.  later as an anthology or with
`C-d' ( as a digest)

One possible use of this is to have a group or several groups where
edited messages are sent with some kind of identifying code in the
subject line so as to be able to sort on subject, and have a handy
source of information on various subjects, easily sorted, viewed,
searched and etc. ( combined with the new powers of nnir even a more
handy and accessable reference resource)

Thanks due to Kai and Lars

Comments, bad, good or indifferent solicited....

;defines funtion to allow sending edited messages to group of choice
(defun hp-insert-into-group (name)
 "Lars code (modified hp with help from Kai G.) to send messages
  from editing modes to gnus group  directly.  Prompting for group
  name and method"
  (interactive
   (list
      (gnus-request-accept-article
      (gnus-read-move-group-name " save" nil nil nil)))))

;defines keyboard control sequence for and hook for`message-mode'
(defun hp-message-mode-hook ()
  "Defines kbd C-x a to execute 'hp-insert-into-group'"
  (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "C-x a") 'hp-insert-into-group))
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'hp-message-mode-hook)

;defines keyboard control sequence and hook for `gnus-article-edit-mode'
(defun hp-gnus-article-edit-mode-hook ()
  "Defines kbd C-x a to execute 'hp-insert-into-group'"
  (define-key gnus-article-edit-mode-map (kbd "C-x a") 'hp-insert-into-group))
(add-hook 'gnus-article-edit-mode-hook 'hp-gnus-article-edit-mode-hook)

--

@ 1998-10-08 18:17       ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-10-08 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is *not* exactly what you were after. To have edited articles
> stored in newgroups.  But does smooth the handling of edited posts a
> bit.

Oh.  Then I'll grab it if I some day implement "editing articles in
groups" first.

Hey - I've got an idea:  I'll invoke the bugfixing boys and girls.

"Lars - there is a bug in gnus: If I cache e.g. an nnml article and then
 edit the article, the cache copy is not updated."

Heh heh heh.

Er - why would anyone but me want to cache an nnml article?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-10 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> "Lars - there is a bug in gnus: If I cache e.g. an nnml article and then
>  edit the article, the cache copy is not updated."

Hm.  That's supposed to happen, from what I can glean from the code.
(`gnus-article-edit-exit').  Do the cached articles never get updated
on `C-c C-c' from the edited article buffer?

* Re: Making notes in a newsgroup
@ 1998-10-11  3:43           ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-10-11  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> "Lars - there is a bug in gnus: If I cache e.g. an nnml article and then
>>  edit the article, the cache copy is not updated."
>
> Hm.  That's supposed to happen, from what I can glean from the code.
> (`gnus-article-edit-exit').  Do the cached articles never get updated
> on `C-c C-c' from the edited article buffer?

Checking...  Ah!  The cache file is rewritten - but with the original
contents.  Happens both in gnus 5.6.44 and pgnus 0.34.

Also, the `*' in front of an article in *Summary* disappears when I do
`C-c C-c' after editing - even though the article is still cached, and
the `*' comes back if I do gnus-summary-rescan-group.

.gnus.el:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
(setq gnus-use-cache 'passive)

--

@ 1998-10-11 15:28             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-11 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Checking...  Ah!  The cache file is rewritten - but with the original
> contents.  Happens both in gnus 5.6.44 and pgnus 0.34.

So it does.  I've now move the cache things to after Gnus has handled
the update, which should probably fix this.

> Also, the `*' in front of an article in *Summary* disappears when I do
> `C-c C-c' after editing - even though the article is still cached, and
> the `*' comes back if I do gnus-summary-rescan-group.

Hm.  This doesn't happen to me (at least not after making the change
described above).