* Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-13 19:04 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

(No, they're not for sale, yet.)

I'm brushing up on my Visa setup, and I find that Visa *still* hasn't
exposed any kind of programmatic interface towards authorizing
payments (you have to use a phone and beep at it a lot), so I'm
thinking about ditching Visa this time and using PayPal only.

I've just done a test run and paid myself $18 using American Express
via PayPal, and things worked just fine.  The users end up giving all
the info to PayPal, including address info and stuff, so the order
form doesn't have to collect that data.  And I got receipts back in a
quite handy format, so I basically just have to collect PayPal emails,
fire off an Emacs funcion, and stuff t-shirts into envelopes.

It's much simpler.

So I think I'm going to go with just offering PayPal for the Oort
shirts.  Unless anybody has any good reasons why not...

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-13 21:18 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-13 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So I think I'm going to go with just offering PayPal for the Oort
> shirts.  Unless anybody has any good reasons why not...

A good reason is that it doesn't work.  They claim that it's free to
open an account ... it isn't.

You have to pay $1.95 to add a credit card.  Then some secret 4-digit
numbers are supposed to turn up on your credit card statement, which you
must use to confirm the account.

The trouble is that Paypal is apparently making some US-centric
assumptions about how a credit card statement looks -- no such numbers
showed up on my statement, and my bank says that such a thing is
impossible.

So, you end up wasting $1.95 for a non-working Paypal account.  At least
that's how it worked the last time I tried.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-13 21:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-13 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> You have to pay $1.95 to add a credit card.  Then some secret 4-digit
> numbers are supposed to turn up on your credit card statement, which you
> must use to confirm the account.

That's only if you open a normal "personal account".  PayPal accepts
standard credit card payments if you're paying a "business account",
which I am.  Er, have.

So you basically just type in contact details, credit card details,
and push the button, and you've made the payment.  You then end up
with a PayPal account that you can't use for anything but paying
other PayPal business accounts, I think...

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-13 22:18     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-13 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> You have to pay $1.95 to add a credit card.  Then some secret 4-digit
>> numbers are supposed to turn up on your credit card statement, which you
>> must use to confirm the account.
>
> That's only if you open a normal "personal account".  PayPal accepts
> standard credit card payments if you're paying a "business account",
> which I am.  Er, have.
>
> So you basically just type in contact details, credit card details,
> and push the button, and you've made the payment.  You then end up
> with a PayPal account that you can't use for anything but paying
> other PayPal business accounts, I think...

Ah, so you don't have use Paypals broken confirmation scheme to pay.
Thanks for the clarification.  In that case I don't have any good
reasons against it.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 19:38 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-04-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 avr 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>  (No, they're not for sale, yet.)

Bad bad bad :)

>  I'm brushing up on my Visa setup, and I find that Visa *still* hasn't
>  exposed any kind of programmatic interface towards authorizing
>  payments (you have to use a phone and beep at it a lot), so I'm
>  thinking about ditching Visa this time and using PayPal only.
>
>  I've just done a test run and paid myself $18 using American Express
>  via PayPal, and things worked just fine.  The users end up giving all
>  the info to PayPal, including address info and stuff, so the order
>  form doesn't have to collect that data.  And I got receipts back in a
>  quite handy format, so I basically just have to collect PayPal
>  emails, fire off an Emacs funcion, and stuff t-shirts into envelopes.
>
>  It's much simpler.
>
>  So I think I'm going to go with just offering PayPal for the Oort
>  shirts.  Unless anybody has any good reasons why not...

I don't see any good reasons not to do so. Just a question, will
cheques paiments possible too ? (just a question, not what I want to
do).

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 19:42   ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 2003-04-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

> You have to pay $1.95 to add a credit card.  Then some secret
> 4-digit numbers are supposed to turn up on your credit card
> statement, which you must use to confirm the account.
>
> The trouble is that Paypal is apparently making some US-centric
> assumptions about how a credit card statement looks -- no such
> numbers showed up on my statement, and my bank says that such a
> thing is impossible.

This worked fine for me in The Netherlands, so it's not just US
centric.

Hans

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 20:06   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-14 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I don't see any good reasons not to do so. Just a question, will
> cheques paiments possible too ? (just a question, not what I want to
> do).

Uhm...  I don't think PayPal does checks, but I may be wrong.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 20:23     ` Richard Hoskins
From: Richard Hoskins @ 2003-04-14 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> I don't see any good reasons not to do so. Just a question, will
>> cheques paiments possible too ? (just a question, not what I want to
>> do).
>
> Uhm...  I don't think PayPal does checks, but I may be wrong.

You can transfer money from your checking account to your PayPal
account and pay for stuff that way.  It take about three business days
before you can use the funds, though.

--
Lift me down, so I can make the Earth tremble.
                                --Bucky Katt

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 21:19       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-14 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>>
>>> You have to pay $1.95 to add a credit card.  Then some secret 4-digit
>>> numbers are supposed to turn up on your credit card statement, which you
>>> must use to confirm the account.
>>
>> That's only if you open a normal "personal account".  PayPal accepts
>> standard credit card payments if you're paying a "business account",
>> which I am.  Er, have.
>>
>> So you basically just type in contact details, credit card details,
>> and push the button, and you've made the payment.  You then end up
>> with a PayPal account that you can't use for anything but paying
>> other PayPal business accounts, I think...
>
> Ah, so you don't have use Paypals broken confirmation scheme to pay.

FWIW, I just tried and you *still* have to use their confirmation
system.  I got this when I clicked on "pay with paypal":

,----
| If you have a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card:
| PayPal has a $1.95 Membership Fee that will be charged to your credit
| card when you click Continue below. We will refund this fee to your
| PayPal account after your successfully enter your Member Number.
`----

* Re: Oort t-shirts
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> FWIW, I just tried and you *still* have to use their confirmation
> system.  I got this when I clicked on "pay with paypal":

I think that's if you're already a member.  Try paying without going
by your member account.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 21:50           ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-14 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> FWIW, I just tried and you *still* have to use their confirmation
>> system.  I got this when I clicked on "pay with paypal":
>
> I think that's if you're already a member.  Try paying without going
> by your member account.

I didn't go through my account.  I think you're looking at the US
version of the form, where they don't require the confirmation thingie.
Try clicking on the "Location: _\bO_\bu_\bt_\bs_\bi_\bd_\be _\bU_\b._\bS_\b._\b?" link.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-14 22:57         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-04-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 avr 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

>  Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> >  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> > >  That's only if you open a normal "personal account".  PayPal
> > >  accepts standard credit card payments if you're paying a
> > >  "business account", which I am.  Er, have.
> > >
> > >  So you basically just type in contact details, credit card
> > >  details, and push the button, and you've made the payment.  You
> > >  then end up with a PayPal account that you can't use for anything
> > >  but paying other PayPal business accounts, I think...
> >
> >  Ah, so you don't have use Paypals broken confirmation scheme to
> >  pay.
>
>  FWIW, I just tried and you *still* have to use their confirmation
>  system.  I got this when I clicked on "pay with paypal":
>
>  ,----
>  | If you have a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card:
>  | PayPal has a $1.95 Membership Fee that will be charged to your
>  | credit card when you click Continue below. We will refund this fee
>  | to your PayPal account after your successfully enter your Member
>  | Number.
>  `----

Got exactly the same :(

zeDek
--

@ 2003-04-15  8:05           ` Mike Woolley
From: Mike Woolley @ 2003-04-15  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> FWIW, I just tried and you *still* have to use their confirmation
>> system.  I got this when I clicked on "pay with paypal":
>
> I think that's if you're already a member.  Try paying without going
> by your member account.

It did the same to me and I didn't have an existing PayPal account.

I suppose I'll have to wait a couple of days and see if the
confirmation number shows up on my online credit card statement...

Cheers,
Mike

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-15  9:28             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I didn't go through my account.  I think you're looking at the US
> version of the form, where they don't require the confirmation thingie.
> Try clicking on the "Location: _\bO_\bu_\bt_\bs_\bi_\bd_\be _\bU_\b._\bS_\b._\b?" link.

Hm...  I clicked on the PayPal link, and then "Outside the US", and
then chose "Visa", and it told me to enter the number, expiration
date, and the card verification number that's on the back of the
card...

It didn't say anything about the $1.95 thingie.

Oh!  Down there in light gray on white it says:

"If you have a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card:
PayPal has a $1.95 Membership Fee that will be charged to your credit
card when you click Continue below. We will refund this fee to your
PayPal account after your successfully enter your Member Number."

That's useless...

...  but then, when I completed the payment, it just sent the money
to me, er, Programmerer Ingebrigtsen.  Does that mean that they'll be
charging the user $1.95 in addition to the money PI will be getting?

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-15 16:13               ` Mike Woolley
From: Mike Woolley @ 2003-04-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's useless...
>
> ...  but then, when I completed the payment, it just sent the money
> to me, er, Programmerer Ingebrigtsen.

So does this mean that when I went through the process the money was
actually sent? I'm completely confused!

> Does that mean that they'll be charging the user $1.95 in addition
> to the money PI will be getting?

I think that it does, but my reading of the small print is that they
credit the $1.95 back to your account after you've completed the
credit card "confirmation". Of course, that's no good for this
particular exercise...

Cheers,
Mike

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-15 16:18                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Woolley <mike@ariel.co.uk> writes:

>> ...  but then, when I completed the payment, it just sent the money
>> to me, er, Programmerer Ingebrigtsen.
>
> So does this mean that when I went through the process the money was
> actually sent? I'm completely confused!

Let's see...  Nope, no money from you.

But the money from me (using Visa; different user name and card) went
through (and it had that same $1.95 warning).

This is really confusing.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-16  0:04                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-16  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyway, I've been to the t-shirt printing shop to get some idea what
the prices are now.  (All prices in NOK, divide by 7.3 to get USD and
7.8 to get EUR.)

Printing per shirt is (if I want clear white, which means double
printing on black, but I'm not quite sure of that) 70 per shirt.
Single printing 42.  (There's white on front and back, and blue for
the Gnus logo.)

So, add to that base, we have the following options.  The previous
shirts have been done on no-name Chinese shirts.  I though we might
go with Hanes this time...

Hanes Top-T (160g)    77
Hanes Fit-T (160g)   104
Hanes Beefy-T (215g) 149

(This is for one shirt.  There are quantity discounts in the 20-30%
range.)

So there's quite a spread here.  The beefies are very nice, but trés
expensive.  So I'm thinking about offering both Top-T and Beefy-T,
and let people decide for themselves.

That would mean that the base price for a Top-T would be $16, and
Beefies would be $26, with single printing.  Plus stuff to cover
overhead and startup costs.

That the Norwegian currency is so strong right now doesn't really
help, I'm afraid.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-16  0:49                     ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2003-04-16  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So I'm thinking about offering both Top-T and Beefy-T, and let
> people decide for themselves.

Cool.  One that will last, and one for the gym.  :-)

What sizes will you offer?

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-16  1:04                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-16  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R. Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Cool.  One that will last, and one for the gym.  :-)

:-)

> What sizes will you offer?

Let's see...  the catalogue lists Beefies in s, m, l, xl, xxl and
xxxl, and top-t in s-xxl.  Hm... and I see that Hanes also has girlie
t-shirts, in sizes s-xl.  (Isn't girlie xl about the same as boyie s
or something like that?)  The Spice-T girlie shirts cost the same as
the Top-T, just about.

So that'll be 14 different sizes/styles/weights altogether.  I'm just
glad that it's a computer figuring out all the postage and stuff.  :-)

I don't know whether they have all those sizes available, though, but
it's likely, I think.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-16  4:26                     ` Michael Shields
From: Michael Shields @ 2003-04-16  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3y92bnw9b.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>,
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Hanes Top-T (160g)    77
> Hanes Fit-T (160g)   104
> Hanes Beefy-T (215g) 149

So, how is Top-T different from Fit-T?
--
Shields.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-16 21:59                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-16 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Shields <shields@msrl.com> writes:

> So, how is Top-T different from Fit-T?

Hm...  don't know, really.  Looks like it might be a skinnier fit
judging from the pictures.

* Re: Oort t-shirts
@ 2003-04-19 22:32                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-19 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, it was good idea that I did a test run with PayPal before doing
the Oort shirts, because that turned out not to be as fun as I had
expected.  As we found out, if you tried paying from outside the US,
it'll take Quite A While to get stuff rolling.

But!  I've now stumbled (well, Mastercard referred me to them) onto
something called paynet.no, which does exactly what I want.  I can
take Visa (and Mastercard, as soon as they've processed the
application), and just pump over some things via SSL to paynet, and
they do the online credit card thingie.

And the manual is written in LaTeX!  How much more better can you get?
It seems extremely easy to use -- the manual describes scripting the
stuff with curl + openssl, and it looks very well thought out.  Now
it only remains to be seen whether it actually works...

I'm filling in some applications now.

* Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20  2:50                           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking at the design for the back of the shirt -- the field of
X-Faces -- and it's, like, 70% or more white.  That is, most of each
individual X-Face has a white background and a black foreground.  This
means that the back of the shirt is going to be somewhat stiff, as
it'll be drenched with ink.  Or, if I just do a single printing, the
black shirt is going to show through the ink...

A different approach would be to do white t-shirts, and print with
black ink.  That would mean less ink, and when printing
black-on-white, a single printing is enough.

The problems here is that 1) I wanted to do a black t-shirt, and 2)
I'll have to rethink the front of the shirt.  (Well, I could just
invert the galaxy I'm printing there, making it look like a mutant
black hole, or something.  Or think of something else.)

What do y'all think?Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent.2003w16
 o93P1hTcIIsx/0kxPhKcSXcv+qqmAZ2Hdj9iihprkmgyBK7JG7D5CUbFPSYr6gICANZHbHGkmuYn
 JgykvhnRT224AxybcaXhzwBDRoPwqK8HJgUgDiiuMeADFtUQxwIwiRtVQgDjO+C+zWtS1i9EAAAA
 AElFTkSuQmCC
 through the ink...

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20  2:54                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-20  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do y'all think?Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent.2003w16
>  o93P1hTcIIsx/0kxPhKcSXcv+qqmAZ2Hdj9iihprkmgyBK7JG7D5CUbFPSYr6gICANZHbHGkmuYn
>  JgykvhnRT224AxybcaXhzwBDRoPwqK8HJgUgDiiuMeADFtUQxwIwiRtVQgDjO+C+zWtS1i9EAAAA
>  AElFTkSuQmCC
>  through the ink...

Ahem.  One more reason that invisible text isn't fool-proof.

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20 10:30                             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A different approach would be to do white t-shirts, and print with
> black ink.  That would mean less ink, and when printing
> black-on-white, a single printing is enough.

Black shirt, invert the faces ;-)
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20 17:07                               ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-04-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote:
> Black shirt, invert the faces ;-)

I'd have suggested that too. It shouldn't really matter with monochrome
pictures (-:

Anyway, you're welcome to invert mine.
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs
irc.freenode.net's #emacs - online emacs advice from IRC addicts

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20 17:25                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> I'd have suggested that too. It shouldn't really matter with monochrome
> pictures (-:

Uhm -- if you invert a picture (in general), it looks totally
different.  Illegible, more often than not.

(Unless it uses a very clear iconography, but most X-Faces are
pictures of people.)

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20 18:17                                   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-04-20 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, larsi@gnus.org wrote:

> Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:
>
>> I'd have suggested that too. It shouldn't really matter with
>> monochrome pictures (-:
>
> Uhm -- if you invert a picture (in general), it looks totally
> different.  Illegible, more often than not.

Exterminate! Where's my old Dr Who videos...

Robert
--
Take me to the world
A world that smiles

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-20 21:54                                   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-04-20 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-04-22 11:14                                   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-04-22 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scary iconography: http://eris.void.at/~asf/oort/back-draft001.png and
http://eris.void.at/~asf/oort/back-draft002.png

> (Unless it uses a very clear iconography, but most X-Faces are
> pictures of people.)

Right. The Face: header would be more fun (;

--

@ 2003-04-22 12:50                                     ` Ingo Ließegang
From: Ingo Ließegang @ 2003-04-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> On 2003-04-20, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> Uhm -- if you invert a picture (in general), it looks totally
>> different.  Illegible, more often than not.
>
> Scary iconography:

[...]

Indeed. Arghh.

Maybe the current approach leads us to a dead end here, literally. What
about a dark red as the background colour, and the X-Faces: printed in a
dark to light grey?

>> (Unless it uses a very clear iconography, but most X-Faces are
>> pictures of people.)
>
> Right. The Face: header would be more fun (;

I read Larsis posts mainly because I'm eager to see what his new Face:
is ;)
--
Verein für Internet-BEnutzer Österreichs : https://www.vibe.at/

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-22 23:33                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-22 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ingo Ließegang <ingo@golli.priv.at> writes:

> What about a dark red as the background colour, and the X-Faces:
> printed in a dark to light grey?

A red shirt?  Nah.  The Oort Cloud isn't that colorful.  :-)

* Re: Oort Shirts: Black To White?
@ 2003-04-23  7:21                                         ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-04-23  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Ingo Ließegang <ingo@golli.priv.at> writes:
>> What about a dark red as the background colour, and the X-Faces:
>> printed in a dark to light grey?
> A red shirt?  Nah.  The Oort Cloud isn't that colorful.  :-)

Just blame Doppler. (-: