* Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-02-22  2:47 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-22  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just read the GNKSA review of RadicalNews, and have seen that the
reviewer seems to require that the `Reply-To' header should be checked
the same way as `From'.  Gnus currently checks `From' only (and
remember, that was the rationale for failing twice!).

Regardless of GNKSA, I think Gnus should perform the same checks for
`Reply-To' as it does for `From'.  What do you think?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-02-23  2:57 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-02-23  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ returned to its special container and

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-02-23  5:06   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-02-23  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat writes:

Hrv> Regardless of GNKSA, I think Gnus should perform the same checks for
Hrv> `Reply-To' as it does for `From'.  What do you think?

I felt the GNKSA/U review of RadicalNews was mean-spirited and the
reviewer had an axe to grind, but that's besides the point.

> I think this is a violation of RFC822, actually.  It depends on just what
> kinds of checking Gnus performs.  A common use of Reply-To (and one of the
> intents of RFC822) is to specify a gatewayed mailbox that will work when
> the conventional "user@domain" format will fail.  Such addresses have
> potentially infinite chance to fail the tests for an Internet "user@domain"
> address because most are completely different, and many are technically
> illlegal.

Yup.  Consider example A.2.4 from RFC822:

     A.2.4.  Committee activity, with one author

             George is a member of a committee.  He wishes to have any
        replies to his message go to all committee members.

            From:     George Jones <Jones@Host.Net>
            Sender:   Jones@Host

        Note  that  if  George  had  not  included  himself   in   the

     August 13, 1982              - 37 -                      RFC #822

     Standard for ARPA Internet Text Messages

        enumeration  of  The  Committee,  he  would not have gotten an
        implicit reply; the presence of the  "Reply-to"  field  SUPER-
        SEDES the sending of a reply to the person named in the "From"
        field.

Example A.2.6 has another example containing an address that would
otherwise be considered invalid.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-02-28 23:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-28 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I've just read the GNKSA review of RadicalNews, and have seen that the
> reviewer seems to require that the `Reply-To' header should be checked
> the same way as `From'.

That review was the strongest blow to the authority of GNKSA I've seen
so far.  The reviewer wibbled on and on about how much he didn't like
the user interface and what features he wished that it had -- which is
*totally* irrelevant when it comes to minimal Usenet compliance, which
is what the GNKSA was set up to do something about.

> Regardless of GNKSA, I think Gnus should perform the same checks for
> `Reply-To' as it does for `From'.  What do you think?

Well, people shouldn't include Reply-To headers unless they need to,
and if they need to, they probably know what they are doing.

The GNKSA does not require syntax checking of that header, I think.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-01  6:11   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-03-01  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> That review was the strongest blow to the authority of GNKSA I've seen
> so far.  The reviewer wibbled on and on about how much he didn't like
> the user interface and what features he wished that it had[...]

Yup.  The part about the program not being multi-threaded was
infamous.  After several criticisms in private mail (probably by many
people, not just me), the reviewer promised to separate the GNKSA
requirements from his own opinions.

> > Regardless of GNKSA, I think Gnus should perform the same checks for
> > `Reply-To' as it does for `From'.  What do you think?
>
> Well, people shouldn't include Reply-To headers unless they need to,
> and if they need to, they probably know what they are doing.

You are probably right.  The point of GNKSA are the default settings.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
"Psychos _do not_ explode when sunlight hits them."

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-09 15:38   ` Nathan O. Siemers
From: Nathan O. Siemers @ 1997-03-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, people shouldn't include Reply-To headers unless they need to,
> and if they need to, they probably know what they are doing.

	Sorry to break up the politics with a simple question ( have
been off the mailing list for a while, moving across the country,
etc), but the modern gnusen don't seem to honor mail-default-reply-to
or MAILTO.  How *do* I set it?

Note that replies to me may bounce because of this; mail to
siemers@bms.com is preferred ;).

nathan

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

siemers@bms.com (Nathan O. Siemers) writes:

> 	Sorry to break up the politics with a simple question ( have
> been off the mailing list for a while, moving across the country,
> etc), but the modern gnusen don't seem to honor mail-default-reply-to
> or MAILTO.  How *do* I set it?

You can use `message-default-headers', but why on Earth do you want to
add a Reply-to header?  Why not just make the From header say the
right thing in the first place?

@ 1997-03-09 22:59       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-09 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-10  5:21         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-10  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> tGBGnB> You can use `message-default-headers', but why on Earth do you want
> tGBGnB> to add a Reply-to header?
>
> Read RFC-822 some time :).  There are plenty of good reasons to generate a
> Reply-To header.  The gist of it is that one uses a Reply-To header when
> the sender wishes to direct replies to a mailbox other than the one in the
> - From header.

Yes -- but that's only useful in very limited circumstances.  The user
wanted to add a Reply-To header that he seemed to want to have the
same contents as his From header.  Many people misunderstand the
meaning of From/Reply-To, and seem to think that if there is no
Reply-To in the mails, then people will be unable to reply to the
mail.

Most people don't need to use Reply-To, and those who do don't need to
ask about it.  :-)

@ 1997-03-10 23:38           ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-10 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11  2:35       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1997-03-11  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

| You can use `message-default-headers', but why on Earth do you want to
| add a Reply-to header?  Why not just make the From header say the
| right thing in the first place?

The "right thing"!  How do you define it?

I once did exactly that, manage to get a lie out of the `From:' and spare
the usage of `Reply-To:'.  I later reverted to the decision that telling
lies is not the right thing to do.  In particular, I sometimes needed
to sort out from where a message was *really* coming from.  It's better
when headers are plain dependable.  `Reply-To:' is a good invention,
with a purpose.  Just use it when it is proper to use it.

More it goes, more I believe one should not make stunts to help others
about broken software.  If each one was doing what s/he should do,
things would improve much faster.  It is important that the sufferings
be endured by those running bad software, and not imposed to everybody
by those wanting to be overly helping.  Especially in the area of emailing.

P.S. - Consider this.  Is there anything more irritating in life that a
friend who *wants* to help you? :-)

--
François Pinard         ``Vivement GNU!''        pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Support Programming Freedom, join our League!  Ask lpf@lpf.org for info!

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11 14:35         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-03-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

From: The prefered mail address of the person who wrote the message.

Sender: The address of the mailbox from where the message originates,
	if this is different from the "From: " address.

	  message to go, if not to the "From: " address.

In most cases, "From: " should be enough.  "Reply-To: " should only be
used if you want replies /for this particular message/ to go somewhere
different than your usual mail address.

I.e. if I talk about AUC TeX on the net, I may use "Reply-To: " to
direct answers to the mailbox I use for AUC TeX related stuff.

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11 17:01           ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1997-03-11 17:45             ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-03-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> No, From is the canonical mailbox of the originator (author) of the
> message.

I -- like many others -- have many email addresses that are equally
valid from a technical point of view.  I prefer one of them, which is
the only thing that distinguish it from the others.  My preferences
(and these alone) thus makes it my "canonical" address.  So we do not
really disagree.

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11 18:46             ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1997-03-11 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA> From: The prefered mail address of the person who wrote the
PA> message.

Rat> No, From is the canonical mailbox of the originator (author) of
Rat> the message.

	No, From is the identity of the person(s) who wished the
message to be sent.  My 'identity' as stend@sten.org has quite
different associations than my 'identity' as sten.drescher@tivoli.com,
so the From header should include the 'identity' I am operating as.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11 22:39               ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-11 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-11 22:53               ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-11 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1997-03-12  1:05                 ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1997-03-12  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat writes:
> If the mailbox specified in the From header does not point back to the
> originating host or originating site's mailhub, then the address is not
> canonical as far as RFC-822 is concerned.

RFC 822 has no such restrictions.  It's only suggestions are
wrt. default entries, entries generated by *machines* when the user
has /no particular preference/.  In this latter case, it says From:
should contain what Sender: would otherwise.

The contents of From: are entirely up to the user.  There is no
concept of "canonical" identity in 822.

822bis includes a "SHOULD NOT" regarding the gratuitous use of
interpreted by some as law in the description of Reply-To.

More interestingly, 822bis promotes the usage of References: for
threading.  Yay.

-Sudish

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-12 17:47                   ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-03-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

* Re: Checking `Reply-To'
@ 1997-03-12 19:56                     ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1997-03-12 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat writes:
SJ> 822bis includes a "SHOULD NOT" regarding the gratuitous use of

> 822bis is not an accepted Internet mail standards document.  It proposes
> some good things, but it is not the baseline to which MUAs should adhere.

Ah, but that was included just FYI.  The problems lie in your
interpretation of 822 as is stated in the first two paragraphs.

-Sudish