* [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-08-22 17:39 MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-08-22 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Hi,

Today we've updated the Debian-specific points of the Edbrowse package. I know an important work was done to work on Debian with js, and I waited for a release to package it as I didn't want to package a dev branch. Given that's not done and the freeze comes soon, I wonder if it would be possible to apply a patch, for Debian, to 4.10. Could you tell me if a patch is easy to do, e.g. a backport patch which contains diff needed to make js work as expected? Or differences in this matter are so big? What are the changes the patch should include (what files, I mean)?

Regards,

--

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

accelibreinfo, votre partenaire en informatique adaptée aux déficients visuels

Mail: texou@accelibreinfo.eu

Site Web: http://www.accelibreinfo.eu

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-08-22 20:32 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-08-22 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 07:39:29PM +0200, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Today we've updated the Debian-specific points of the Edbrowse package.
> I know an important work was done to work on Debian with js,
> and I waited for a release to package it as I didn't want to package a dev branch.
> Given that's not done and the freeze comes soon,
> I wonder if it would be possible to apply a patch, for Debian, to 4.10.
> Could you tell me if a patch is easy to do, e.g.
> a backport patch which contains diff needed to make js work as expected?
> Or differences in this matter are so big?
> What are the changes the patch should include (what files, I mean)?

We've basically rewritten large parts of the code to update to mozjs 24,
but we were waiting to hear back from you on why edbrowse still fails to
compile correctly using the Debian packaged version. As previously mentioned on this list,
this is why we've not released the next version yet.
Have you managed to get the current development version of edbrowse to run when
compiled against the Debian build of mozjs?
Any input on this would be much appreciated as I think I can speak for all of
us when I say we'd like to get a release out before the Debian freeze.

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-08-22 20:43   ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-08-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thompson; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Hi,

I can tell you that a release will be in Debian before freeze, that's
sure. I had not seen the feedback expected. So I build immediately the
dev release again, I upload to experimental repo, I make it test on
debian-a11y ML and tell you on 1st week in September the results. Then,
as soon as there's a release, I upload to sid and speed the process.

Regards,

--

@ 2014-08-22 22:11   ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-08-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com> writes:

> but we were waiting to hear back from you on why edbrowse still fails to
> compile correctly using the Debian packaged version.

Slight correction.  It builds fine, but it segfaults.

-- Chris

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-08-23 13:02     ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-08-23 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Brannon, Edbrowse-dev

Hi,

The package has just been uploaded to experimental repo. It will be
available in some hours, to let the time mirror pool to see it. You can
test it yourself, of course, from experimental.

It builds properly with libmozjs24 which contains jsapi.h and what is
needed. However, I would like to inform you that this package is not
maintained so far, so the jsapi.h seems available rather in icedove-dev
package (which contains headers for icedove). It means that, for any
reasons, Edbrowse will not build properly against JS stack 31. I don't
think it's a problem for freeze, but maybe we should consider testing
this to prepare the future?

After checking, freeze happens on November. So:
1. Do you want now to work on compatibility with JS 31?
2. Otherwise, I propose we wait end of September to be sure Edbrowse
builds on any architecture without problem. Next, you could release in
1st 15 days of October. Then I could introduce the released package in
sid (October, 15th), and it willl go to testing (and be frozen) on
Octoberb 25th.
Does it fit? Do you want a more restricted schedule?

Regards,

Regards,

@ 2014-08-23 13:36       ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-08-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 03:02:33PM +0200, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> The package has just been uploaded to experimental repo. It will be
> available in some hours, to let the time mirror pool to see it. You can test
> it yourself, of course, from experimental.

Ok, will do.

> It builds properly with libmozjs24 which contains jsapi.h and what is
> needed. However, I would like to inform you that this package is not
> maintained so far, so the jsapi.h seems available rather in icedove-dev
> package (which contains headers for icedove). It means that, for any
> reasons, Edbrowse will not build properly against JS stack 31. I don't think
> it's a problem for freeze, but maybe we should consider testing this to
> prepare the future?

I'm going to have alook at this, since at the last time of checking,
the js 31 package (from experimental)
contained a broken symlink in place of jsapi.h.
Also, do you know of any docs for mozjs 31,
as all docs on the mozilla website talk about mozjs 24.

> After checking, freeze happens on November. So:
> 1. Do you want now to work on compatibility with JS 31?
> 2. Otherwise, I propose we wait end of September to be sure Edbrowse builds
> on any architecture without problem. Next, you could release in 1st 15 days
> of October. Then I could introduce the released package in sid (October,
> 15th), and it willl go to testing (and be frozen) on Octoberb 25th.
> Does it fit? Do you want a more restricted schedule?

The timings sound fine to me provided the new edbrowse package runs correctly.
Incidentally, I'd be interested to see how you built this as the last time I
tried against a Debian packaged mozjs  it segfaulted as soon as you attempted to run it.

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-08-23 13:47         ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-08-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thompson; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

I'm going to have alook at this, since at the last time of checking, the
js 31 package (from experimental) contained a broken symlink in place of
jsapi.h. Also, do you know of any docs for mozjs 31, as all docs on the
mozilla website talk about mozjs 24.

The situation of JS support in Mozilla 31 is not clear for me. That is
why I filled bug 758928 on Debian about libmozjs, so that the maintainer
could explain to me the situation. We can also write to
icedove-dev@packages.debian.org to contact the maintainers and asking.
It's my next task if no an]ier on my "bug" report.

>> After checking, freeze happens on November. So:
>> 1. Do you want now to work on compatibility with JS 31?
>> 2. Otherwise, I propose we wait end of September to be sure Edbrowse builds
>> on any architecture without problem. Next, you could release in 1st 15 days
>> of October. Then I could introduce the released package in sid (October,
>> 15th), and it willl go to testing (and be frozen) on Octoberb 25th.
>> Does it fit? Do you want a more restricted schedule?
> The timings sound fine to me provided the new edbrowse package runs correctly.
> Incidentally, I'd be interested to see how you built this as the last time I
> tried against a Debian packaged mozjs  it segfaulted as soon as you attempted to run it.

You can see the package with apt-get source edbrowse. I think it ships
the debian/ dir. See rules file to see what happens. If you want to try
seeing exactly what does dh-auto_build, you can run pdebuild or
dpkg-buildpackage and you will see the commands it run (as it displays
make output).

I do not any particular thing, but I rely on libmozjs24.0 package, which
seems more reliable. That's also why I wait for September 15th, to see
if someone has a segfault or if the Debian Release team find a conflict
with a Mozilla tool (that is why it was removed from Debian). Feedbacks
will enable to test now it works. Maybe the libmozjs had a successful
update.

Regards,

--

@ 2014-08-30 15:11           ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-08-30 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 03:47:50PM +0200, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> I'm going to have alook at this, since at the last time of checking, the js
> 31 package (from experimental) contained a broken symlink in place of
> jsapi.h. Also, do you know of any docs for mozjs 31, as all docs on the
> mozilla website talk about mozjs 24.
>
> The situation of JS support in Mozilla 31 is not clear for me. That is why I
> filled bug 758928 on Debian about libmozjs, so that the maintainer could
> explain to me the situation. We can also write to
> icedove-dev@packages.debian.org to contact the maintainers and asking. It's
> my next task if no an]ier on my "bug" report.

Ok, so it looks like mozjs 24 *should* be maintained, at least according to how I read the bug report.

> >>After checking, freeze happens on November. So:
> >>1. Do you want now to work on compatibility with JS 31?
> >>2. Otherwise, I propose we wait end of September to be sure Edbrowse builds
> >>on any architecture without problem. Next, you could release in 1st 15 days
> >>of October. Then I could introduce the released package in sid (October,
> >>15th), and it willl go to testing (and be frozen) on Octoberb 25th.
> >>Does it fit? Do you want a more restricted schedule?
> >The timings sound fine to me provided the new edbrowse package runs correctly.
> >Incidentally, I'd be interested to see how you built this as the last time I
> >tried against a Debian packaged mozjs  it segfaulted as soon as you attempted to run it.
>
> You can see the package with apt-get source edbrowse. I think it ships the
> debian/ dir. See rules file to see what happens. If you want to try seeing
> exactly what does dh-auto_build, you can run pdebuild or dpkg-buildpackage
> and you will see the commands it run (as it displays make output).

Ok, where do I download this source package from as apt-get -t experimental source edbrowse
still downloads the old version.

> I do not any particular thing, but I rely on libmozjs24.0 package, which
> seems more reliable. That's also why I wait for September 15th, to see if
> someone has a segfault or if the Debian Release team find a conflict with a
> Mozilla tool (that is why it was removed from Debian). Feedbacks will enable
> to test now it works. Maybe the libmozjs had a successful update.

Ok. If mozjs 24 is going to be in the next release of Debian then we probably
want to make edbrowse work correctly with this mozjs,
then look at the later versions of the mozilla js code as and when they become
properly documented and released.

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Update Edbrowse
@ 2014-09-01 18:36             ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-09-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thompson; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Ok, where do I download this source package from as apt-get -t
experimental source edbrowse still downloads the old version.

Have you added experimental repo in your sources.list? Otherwise, you
can find the package on snapshot.debian.org in the latest release.

Just to tell you: 3.4.10-1 release is in testing now. So I think we will
port Edbrowse into sid in a few time. If you want to release, not bad
feedback so far.

>> I do not any particular thing, but I rely on libmozjs24.0 package, which
>> seems more reliable. That's also why I wait for September 15th, to see if
>> someone has a segfault or if the Debian Release team find a conflict with a
>> Mozilla tool (that is why it was removed from Debian). Feedbacks will enable
>> to test now it works. Maybe the libmozjs had a successful update.
> Ok. If mozjs 24 is going to be in the next release of Debian then we probably
> want to make edbrowse work correctly with this mozjs,
> then look at the later versions of the mozilla js code as and when they become
> properly documented and released.

ok. Fine for this release.

Regards,