* Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-02  9:09 Martin Escardo
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
suggested to post the question here.

(1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:

    * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
      binary joins (or disjunction).

(We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)

(2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
P and Q.)

(3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).

(4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
||-|| doesn't exist?

More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,

  hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
                            isProp(X')
                          × (X→X')
                          × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).

Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?

Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
extensionality).

Best,
Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-02 19:04 ` Michael Shulman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-05-02 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

Some thoughts:

- If in addition to function extensionality and propositional
extensionality we assume propositional resizing, then ||-|| is
constructible using the standard argument that an elementary topos is
a regular category.

- A model of MLTT with function extensionality but no universes is
given by any locally cartesian closed category (perhaps with
coproducts if we have binary sum types).  It seems that surely not
every lccc with coproducts is a regular category -- though I don't
have an example ready to hand, let alone an example that also has
universes.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:09 AM, 'Martin Escardo' via Homotopy Type
Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
> suggested to post the question here.
>
> (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
> counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>
>     * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>       binary joins (or disjunction).
>
> (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
> saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>
> (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
> find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
> R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
> P and Q.)
>
> (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
> answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
> before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>
> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
> More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>
>   hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>                             isProp(X')
>                           × (X→X')
>                           × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>
> Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>
> Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
> function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
> extensionality).
>
> Best,
> Martin
>
> --

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03  6:47   ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-03  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman, Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On 02/05/17 20:04, Michael Shulman wrote:
> Some thoughts:

Thanks. Some more remarks:

> - If in addition to function extensionality and propositional
> extensionality we assume propositional resizing, then ||-|| is
> constructible using the standard argument that an elementary topos is
> a regular category.

We can say more regarding resizing, in the presence of universes, as
in my question. If U' is the universe after U with U:U', then the
large type

    hasTruncation'(X:U) := Σ(X':U'),
                              isProp(X')
                            × (X→X')
                            × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).

is always inhabited in MLTT. It is a proposition for all X:U iff
funext and propext hold. Moreover, you can construct such a "large
truncation" X' by

    X' = Π(P:U), isProp(P) → (X → P) → P.

Then X' is a proposition for all X' iff funext holds (propext is not
involved here).

Then, in the presence of funext, X has a small truncation ∥X∥ iff
there is a small proposition P:U equivalent to X', and in this case P
has the universal property of ∥X∥.

Hence the presence of all small propositional truncations *is* a
resizing axiom, amounting to say that every large truncation X' of
each small X:U is equivalent to some small P:U.

> - A model of MLTT with function extensionality but no universes is
> given by any locally cartesian closed category (perhaps with
> coproducts if we have binary sum types).  It seems that surely not
> every lccc with coproducts is a regular category -- though I don't
> have an example ready to hand, let alone an example that also has
> universes.

Right. I want an example with universes, and, moreover, an example
which will not only fail to have all small truncations but also the
truncation of P+Q for small propositions P and Q. You can ask this
question when P and Q are type variables or when they are closed type
terms.

In many cases, a small truncation ∥P+Q∥ exists in all models, by a
construction in MLTT. For example, consider α,β:ℕ→2 with

   isProp(Σ(n:ℕ), α(n)=1),
   isProp(Σ(n:ℕ), β(n)=1),

and take

   P := Σ(n:ℕ), α(n)=1,
   Q := Σ(n:ℕ), β(n)=1.

Then we can easily construct γ:ℕ→2 from α and β so that the type

   Σ(n:ℕ), γ(n)=1

has the universal property of ∥P+Q∥.

Can you find examples of propositions P and Q such that their
disjunction ∥P+Q∥ cannot be shown to exist in intensional MLTT with
universes? Of course, we may have

   Π(P,Q:U), isProp(P) → isProp(Q) → hasTruncation(P×Q)

empty in a model without such a counter-example P and Q.

Martin

> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:09 AM, 'Martin Escardo' via Homotopy Type
> Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
>> suggested to post the question here.
>>
>> (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
>> counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>>
>>     * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>>       binary joins (or disjunction).
>>
>> (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
>> saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>>
>> (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
>> find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
>> R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
>> P and Q.)
>>
>> (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
>> answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
>> before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>>
>> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
>> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>>
>> More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>>
>>   hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>>                             isProp(X')
>>                           × (X→X')
>>                           × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>>
>> Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>>
>> Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
>> function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
>> extensionality).
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin
>>
>> --

Martin Escardo
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 10:55 ` Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2017-05-03 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
> ||-|| doesn't exist?

In my 1992 TCS paper I have constructed an impredicative universe
within Asm(K_1) (separated objects of effective topos) which is not
reflective. The universe consists of all powers of N together with the
initial object. All its elements are empty or contain infinitely many
global elements.

But or is definable `a la Russel-Prawitz.

Thomas

* Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 12:17 ` Andrew Polonsky
From: Andrew Polonsky @ 2017-05-03 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

If you don't mind the proposition living in a higher universe, then
certainly the impredicative encoding will do:

P\/Q  :=  ∏(X:U) isProp(X) -> (P -> X) -> (Q -> X) -> X

satisfies

P -> P\/Q
Q -> P\/Q
isProp(R) -> (P->R) -> (Q->R) -> (P\/Q -> R)

Best,
Andrew

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 12:45:41 PM UTC-4, Martin Hotzel Escardo wrote:

> Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
> suggested to post the question here.
>
> (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
> counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>
>     * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>       binary joins (or disjunction).
>
> (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
> saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>
> (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
> find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
> R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
> P and Q.)
>
> (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
> answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
> before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>
> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
> More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>
>   hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>                             isProp(X')
>                           × (X→X')
>                           × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>
> Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>
> Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
> function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
> extensionality).
>
> Best,
> Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 12:24   ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On 03/05/17 13:17, andrew....@gmail.com wrote:
> If you don't mind the proposition living in a higher universe, then
> certainly the impredicative encoding will do:
>
> P\/Q  :=  ∏(X:U) isProp(X) -> (P -> X) -> (Q -> X) -> X

Assuming funext to show that this is indeed a proposition.

This is equivalent to the large truncation of P+Q discussed in my
equivalent to the large truncation, which always exists for any type,
assuming funext.

Martin

> satisfies
>
> P -> P\/Q
> Q -> P\/Q
> isProp(R) -> (P->R) -> (Q->R) -> (P\/Q -> R)
>
> Best,
> Andrew
>
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 12:45:41 PM UTC-4, Martin Hotzel Escardo wrote:
>
>     Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
>     suggested to post the question here.
>
>     (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
>     counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>
>         * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>           binary joins (or disjunction).
>
>     (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
>     saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>
>     (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
>     find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
>     R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
>     P and Q.)
>
>     (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
>     answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
>     before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>
>     (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
>     ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
>     More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>
>       hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>                                 isProp(X')
>                               × (X→X')
>                               × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>
>     Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>
>     Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
>     function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
>     extensionality).
>
>     Best,
>     Martin
>
> --

* Re: [HoTT] Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 12:24   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-05-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Polonsky; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

Note that the "un-resized" impredicative truncation and disjunction,
in addition to living in a larger universe themselves, only have the
appropriate universal property with respect to propositions in the
*smaller* universe.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Andrew Polonsky
<andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you don't mind the proposition living in a higher universe, then
> certainly the impredicative encoding will do:
>
> P\/Q  :=  ∏(X:U) isProp(X) -> (P -> X) -> (Q -> X) -> X
>
> satisfies
>
> P -> P\/Q
> Q -> P\/Q
> isProp(R) -> (P->R) -> (Q->R) -> (P\/Q -> R)
>
> Best,
> Andrew
>

> On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 12:45:41 PM UTC-4, Martin Hotzel Escardo wrote:
>>
>> Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
>> suggested to post the question here.
>>
>> (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
>> counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>>
>>     * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>>       binary joins (or disjunction).
>>
>> (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
>> saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>>
>> (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
>> find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
>> R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
>> P and Q.)
>>
>> (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
>> answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
>> before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>>
>> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
>> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>>
>> More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>>
>>   hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>>                             isProp(X')
>>                           × (X→X')
>>                           × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>>
>> Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>>
>> Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
>> function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
>> extensionality).
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin
>
> --

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 14:25   ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stre...; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On 03/05/17 11:55, stre...@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
>> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
>> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
> In my 1992 TCS paper I have constructed an impredicative universe
> within Asm(K_1) (separated objects of effective topos) which is not
> reflective. The universe consists of all powers of N together with the
> initial object. All its elements are empty or contain infinitely many
> global elements.
>
> But or is definable `a la Russel-Prawitz.

What you are saying is that there is model where general propositional
truncations don't exist, but "or" does. Right?

How difficult is to get a model where "or" doesn't exist either?

Best,
Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 14:48     ` Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2017-05-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

> What you are saying is that there is model where general propositional
> truncations don't exist, but "or" does. Right?

yes

> How difficult is to get a model where "or" doesn't exist either?

depends on what "or" is! in my model Prop has or by impredicativity
but this or doen't coincide with sums on the level of types.

Thomas

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-03 15:04       ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stre...; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On 03/05/17 15:48, stre...@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
>> What you are saying is that there is model where general propositional
>> truncations don't exist, but "or" does. Right?
>
> yes
>
>> How difficult is to get a model where "or" doesn't exist either?
>
> depends on what "or" is! in my model Prop has or by impredicativity
> but this or doen't coincide with sums on the level of types.

I specified what "or" is in point (2) of the initial message of this thread:

(2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
P and Q.)

Here "proposition" means "type in which any two points are Id-equal".

Martin

* Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-05-06 13:51 ` Andrew Swan
From: Andrew Swan @ 2017-05-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

We consider the category "localisation of setoids." That is we take the
objects to be sets equipped with an equivalence relation (X, ~), and
morphisms (X, ~) -> (Y, ~) to be functions f: X/~ -> Y/~ such that there
exists a function f': X -> Y commuting with f and the quotient maps. In ZFC
we can show that this category is equivalent to Set, so we already know it
is complete, cocomplete and locally cartesian closed. However, it will be
important that we can also do this constructively i.e. without using the
equivalence with Set. Note that one can give explicit definitions of limits
and colimits as well as dependent products that work constructively.

Say that a setoid is trivial if the equivalence classes are all singletons.
The full subcategory of trivial setoids is isomorphic to the category of
sets (and this time the isomorphism works constructively).

Note that image factorisation is different in trivial setoids and setoids.
Suppose we have some morphism of trivial setoids f: (X, ~) -> (Y, ~) (since
these are trivial setoids this is just any map X -> Y). For the image
factorisation in setoids, we take the underlying set of im(f) to be X, but
change the equivalence relation, to ~' defined by x ~' x' whenever f(x) =
f(x'). On the other hand the image factorisation in trivial setoids is the
quotient X/~' together with the trivial equivalence relation. Assuming
choice these will be isomorphic. However, the key point is that in general
the converse also holds, so by working internally in a model of set theory
where AC fails, we can get examples where the image factorisations are not
isomorphic (ie where the inclusion of subcategory functor does not preserve
image factorisation).

On the other hand, the rest of the type theoretic structure is preserved by
the inclusion functor. Dependent products, finite limits and disjoint sums
are all the same in trivial setoids and setoids.

We now assume that we have an inaccessible set, stated using a suitable
constructive notion of inaccessible. We define a universe U_1 -> U_0 by
taking U_0 to be the set of all small trivial setoids, and an element of
U_1 is a small trivial setoid together with one of its elements. Take the
equivalence relation on U_1 and U_2 to just be trivial. The small maps f: X
-> Y are then those which are both small in the usual sense (fibres are
isomorphic to elements of the inaccessible set), and also admit a function
f': X -> Y which makes a pullback square with f and the quotient maps. Note
that if Y is trivial and f: X -> Y is small then X is also trivial. We can
also consider another larger universe V_1 -> V_0 which consists of all
small setoids.

If we interpret type theory in the above category we can almost, but not
quite answer question (4). We work internally in the Lifschitz
realizability model like in Chen, Rathjen, Lifschitz realizability for
intuitionistic Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00153-012-0299-2>. In type
theory we work over the context consisting of binary sequences a: N -> 2
which are 1 at most once, and we consider the propositions P(a) = forall n.
a(2n) = 0 and Q(a) = forall n. a(2n + 1) = 0. Call this context A. Then
LLPO is the statement that for all a in A, the proposition P(a) \/ Q(a) is
true (when disjunction exists at all). If the disjunction ||P \/ Q||
exists, then we would have maps of the form P + Q -> || P + Q || -> A in
the model. If || P + Q || belongs to the universe U, then the map || P + Q
|| -> A would be small, which would make the setoid || P + Q || trivial,
and in particular it has to be just a subset of A. On the other hand, if
this is still the disjunction of P and Q when we move up to the larger
universe V, then it has to be isomorphic to the "real" image factorisation
in setoids, which consists of pairs (i, a) where either i = 0 and P(a)
holds or i = 1 and Q(a) holds, together with the equivalence relation that
identifies (0, a) and (1, a) when both occur in the set. If this was
isomorphic to a monomorphism, then, assuming LLPO, we would have a choice
function, that selects for each a in A, a choice of i such that i = 0 and
P(a) or i = 1 and Q(a). However this is impossible in Lifschitz
realizability.

I think it's possible to get a complete answer to question (4) by instead
working with the arrow category of setoids, and then interpreting the
universe as the inclusion of U into V.

Finally, the above was working over a context, A, but I think it's also
possible to do the same over the empty context, because I have some
unpublished results that imply there is a specific computable sequence a: N
-> 2 such that IZF + LLPO + MP proves a has at most one 1, but for any
definable set, x, IZF + LLPO + MP cannot prove the statement "x belongs to
2, and either x = 0 and P(a) holds or x = 1 and Q(a) holds".

Best,
Andrew

On Tuesday, 2 May 2017 18:45:41 UTC+2, Martín Hötzel Escardó wrote:

> Last week in a meeting I had a technical discussion with somebody, who
> suggested to post the question here.
>
> (1) Prove (internally) or disprove (as a meta-theorem, probably with a
> counter-model) the following in (intensional) Martin-Loef Type Theory:
>
>     * The poset of subsingletons (or propositions or truth values) has
>       binary joins (or disjunction).
>
> (We know it has binary meets and Heyting implication, which amounts to
> saying it is a Heyting semilattice. Is it a lattice?)
>
> (2) The question is whether given any two propositions P and Q we can
> find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
> R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
> P and Q.)
>
> (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
> answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
> before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>
> (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
> ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
> More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>
>   hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>                             isProp(X')
>                           × (X→X')
>                           × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>
> Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>
> Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
> function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional
> extensionality).
>
> Best,
> Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-07 13:49   ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-07 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

Interesting! Martin

On 06/05/17 14:51, Andrew Swan wrote:
> [...]
>     find a proposition R with P->R and Q->R such that for any proposition
>     R' with P->R' and Q->R' we have R->R'. (R is the least upper bound of
>     P and Q.)
>
>     (3) Of course, if MLTT had propositional truncations ||-||, then the
>     answer would be R := ||P+Q||. But we can ask this question for MLTT
>     before we postulate propositional truncations as in (1)-(2).
>
>     (4) What is a model of intensional MLTT with a universe such that
>     ||-|| doesn't exist?
>
>     More precisely, define, internally in intensional MLTT,
>
>       hasTruncation(X:U) := Σ(X':U),
>                                 isProp(X')
>                               × (X→X')
>                               × Π(P:U), (isProp(P) × (X→P)) → (X'→P).
>
>     Is there a model, with universes, the falsifies this?
>
>     Preferably, we want models that falsify this but validate
>     function extensionality (and perhaps also propositional

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-12 18:10   ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On 02/05/17 20:04, Michael Shulman wrote:
> Some thoughts:
>
> [...]
>
> - A model of MLTT with function extensionality but no universes is
> given by any locally cartesian closed category (perhaps with
> coproducts if we have binary sum types).  It seems that surely not
> every lccc with coproducts is a regular category -- though I don't
> have an example ready to hand, let alone an example that also has
> universes.

If you assume excluded middle (every proposition is empty or pointed),
and function extensionality, then, as you know, every type X does have a
propositional truncation, namely ¬¬X:=(X->0)->0.

The universal map is the evaluation map eta:X->¬¬X. If we have f:X->P
for a proposition P, then we get ¬¬f:¬¬X->¬¬P by the functoriality of
double-dualization. By excluded middle we have a map ¬¬P->P, which
composed with ¬¬f gives a map f':¬¬X->P, which in turn establishes the
universality of eta:X->¬¬X among maps of X into propositions (the
uniqueness requirement relies on funext). Therefore, indeed, ¬¬X is the
propositional truncation of X (or, more precisely, ¬¬X, together with
eta:X->¬¬X and the extension procedure f |-> f' and its uniqueness give
the propositional truncation of X).

(Side-remark. Conversely, if you forget the assumption of excluded
middle, but remember the assumption of function extensionality, then the
assumption that eta:X->¬¬X is the universal map of X into a proposition,
for every X, implies excluded middle. (Exercise.) So, in general, the
propositional truncation of X, if it exists, is wildly different from ¬¬X.)

The above argument relies on having a universe (first, to formulate
excluded middle and funext, and, second, to formulate and prove the
universality of eta).

*** What is the interaction (if any) of excluded middle with regularity,
in your thought above? It seems to me that adding a universe is playing
a role. It is different to say externally that all morphisms have
images, than to say this internally using a universe (or am I wrong?).

A second side-remark is this, which I realized just now while writing
this, although I have known the above for several years:

We know that the addition of propositional truncations as a rule, with
certain stipulated definitional equalities, as in the HoTT book, gives
function extensionality.

A number of us (including Nicolai and me), asked whether hypothetical
propositional truncations (which cannot come with stipulated
definitional equalities) also give funext.

The above argument shows that hypothetical propositional truncations
definitely cannot give function extensionality. For, if this were the
case, excluded middle would also imply function extensionality. But we
know that this is not the case.

Best,
Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-12 18:41     ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2017-05-12 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

Obviously the second side-remark overlooks the fact that we used
function extensionality to show that excluded middle implies the
existence of propositional truncations. Apologies. Hence the question of
whether hypothetical propositional truncations imply function
extensionality remains open (although I very much doubt that they do).
Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-13 21:46     ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-05-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Martin Escardo
<escardo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The above argument relies on having a universe (first, to formulate
> excluded middle and funext, and, second, to formulate and prove the
> universality of eta).
>
> *** What is the interaction (if any) of excluded middle with regularity,
> in your thought above? It seems to me that adding a universe is playing
> a role. It is different to say externally that all morphisms have
> images, than to say this internally using a universe (or am I wrong?).

Three replies:

1. I don't think the argument technically relies on having a universe.
LEM, funext, and the universality of eta are usually stated internally
by quantifying over a universe, but they can also be stated as rules
with type judgments as premises, and I believe the proof of
universality goes through as a derivation of one rule from others.

2. In general, saying something internally is different from saying it
externally, but I think that for images (and more generally for
universal properties that are stable under pullback and descent) there
is no difference.  In such cases saying it internally with a universe
is the same as saying it externally for the "universal case", which
implies its external truth in all other cases.  (You can also say it
"internally" without a universe using stack semantics.)

3. A Boolean coherent category automatically has a subobject
classifier, namely 1+1.  Thus, if it is also cartesian closed, it is
automatically a topos.

> A second side-remark is this, which I realized just now while writing
> this, although I have known the above for several years:
>
> We know that the addition of propositional truncations as a rule, with
> certain stipulated definitional equalities, as in the HoTT book, gives
> function extensionality.
>
> A number of us (including Nicolai and me), asked whether hypothetical
> propositional truncations (which cannot come with stipulated
> definitional equalities) also give funext.
>
> The above argument shows that hypothetical propositional truncations
> definitely cannot give function extensionality. For, if this were the
> case, excluded middle would also imply function extensionality. But we
> know that this is not the case.
>
> Best,
> Martin

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-14  9:54       ` stre...
From: stre... @ 2017-05-14  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: Martin Escardo, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

The question is not one of universal properties but of existence. I wo der
whether every posetal lccc has binary sups. Every cartesian closd poset is
lccc but need not have binary sups, e.g. the free ccc over 1 generator is
lccc but has no binary sums.

Thomas

* Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
@ 2017-05-16  6:20       ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-05-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Escardo; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu> wrote:
> 3. A Boolean coherent category automatically has a subobject
> classifier, namely 1+1.  Thus, if it is also cartesian closed, it is
> automatically a topos.

I should have said, a Boolean *extensive* coherent category.  Of
course, an arbitrary coherent category may not have all coproducts,
and if it has coproducts they may not be disjoint (e.g. the posetal
case).