* Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt.
@ 2013-06-17 16:07 Michael Ash
From: Michael Ash @ 2013-06-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am new to ConTeXt and very impressed.   Much thanks to Hans Hagen and Idris
Samawi Hamid for an excellent introduction.

I am using the Hebrew Ezra SIL Hebrew Unicode Fonts.  My question concerns
the placement of the Hebrew vowel points ("niqqud").  For most letters, the
vowel points are placed too far to the left, as opposed to centered
directly under the letter.

A short example follows.  For some of the letters, e.g., "Hebrew Letter
Alef With Qamats" (kind of a t-shaped vowel underneath the alef), the vowel
is correctly centered.  For others it appears incorrectly to the left.
 (This may be connected with whether the letter+vowel is packaged as a
single character or whether it is being composed on the fly.)

I have used the same font in several predecessor programs (the makor
package for lamed and the cjhebrew package for LaTeX) and the vowels points
are placed correctly.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions regarding adjusting the
placement of the vowel points.  (ConTeXt version info is at the end of the
message.)

Thank you,
Michael

\definefontfeature[hebrew][arabic][script=hebr]
\definefont[hebrew][name:ezrasil]

\starttext

Zephania 3:8 includes all of the letters in the Hebrew alphabet, the
equivalent of \quotation{The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogs} in
English.

\startalignment[left]

\textdir TRT
\hebrew
לָכֵן חַכּוּ־לִי נְאֻם־יְהוָה לְיוֹם קוּמִי לְעַד כִּי מִשְׁפָּטִי לֶאֱסֹף
גּוֹיִם לְקָבְצִי מַמְלָכוֹת לִשְׁפֹּךְ עֲלֵיהֶם זַעְמִי כֹּל חֲרוֹן אַפִּי
כִּי בְּאֵשׁ קִנְאָתִי תֵּאָכֵל כָּל־הָאָרֶץ׃
\stoptext

Here is the ConTeXt version and  operating system:

$ uname -a
Linux mash-laptop 3.8.0-23-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 29 20:24:54 UTC
2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

$ context --version
mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file:
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2013.06.04 23:52

* Re: Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt.
@ 2013-06-17 16:15 ` Michael Ash
       [not found]   ` <12604_1371486185_51BF37E9_12604_399_1_op.wytzrxjlpw6hmh@ishamid-pc>
From: Michael Ash @ 2013-06-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

PS I see that the Hebrew text did not come through the list email (at least
not on the version that I received).  Is there a standard way to send
unicode text to this list?

Best,
Michael

--
Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
Professor of Economics and Public Policy

* Re: Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt.
@ 2013-06-17 16:22   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
       [not found]   ` <12604_1371486185_51BF37E9_12604_399_1_op.wytzrxjlpw6hmh@ishamid-pc>
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-06-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context, Michael Ash

Greetings, Michael,

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:15:11 -0600, Michael Ash <mash@econs.umass.edu>
wrote:

> Is there a standard way to send unicode text to this list?

Your Unicode text came through perfectly:

> \textdir TRT
> \hebrew
> לָכֵן חַכּוּ־לִי נְאֻם־יְהוָה לְיוֹם קוּמִי לְעַד כִּי מִשְׁפָּטִי
> לֶאֱסֹף גּוֹיִם לְקָבְצִי מַמְלָכוֹת לִשְׁפֹּךְ עֲלֵיהֶם זַעְמִי כֹּל
> חֲרוֹן אַפִּי כִּי בְּאֵשׁ קִנְאָתִי תֵּאָכֵל כָּל־הָאָרֶץ׃
> \stoptext

Maybe the encoding of your browser/mail-client needs to be set to
"Unicode" ("Automatic" usually works too).

For high-level text-direction control, you may experiment with

\righttoleft
\lefttoright

as well as

\setupdirections[bidi=global]
\setupdirections[bidi=local]

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

@ 2013-06-17 16:31     ` Michael Ash
From: Michael Ash @ 2013-06-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: ntg-context

Thank you. The unicode text looked good (although reversed left-to-right as
I sent it) in my sent mail, and it looked perfect (corrected right-to-left)
in your response.  But it did not look good in the digest email (all the
letters were convered to ?'s).

Also it's typesetting fine in ConTeXt except for the vowel placement.  Any
suggestions there?  Thank you again.

Yours,
Michael

--

@ 2013-06-17 16:42       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-06-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:31:12 -0600, Michael Ash <mash@econs.umass.edu>
wrote:

> Also it's typesetting fine in ConTeXt except for the vowel placement.
> Any suggestions there?  Thank you again.

You probably need the opentype features activated. Ezra has two features
 from what I can tell, so try something like this (totally untested):

\definefontfeature
    [silezra]
    [mode=node,language=dflt,script=hbr,
     mark=yes,ccmp=yes]

\definedfont[EzraSIL*silezra at 14pt]לָכֵן

For mark and ccmp see

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featurelist.htm

Best wishes
Idris
--

@ 2013-06-17 17:16         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-17 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

On 6/17/2013 6:42 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> \definefontfeature
>     [silezra]
>     [mode=node,language=dflt,script=hbr,
>      mark=yes,ccmp=yes]
>
> \definedfont[EzraSIL*silezra at 14pt]לָכֵן

it's 'hebr' (otherwise no proper mark placement)

\starttext

\definefontfeature
    [silezra]
    [default]
    [mode=node,language=dflt,script=hebr,mark=yes,ccmp=yes]

\showotfcomposition{file:sileot*silezra}{r2l}{לָכֵן}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-06-17 18:18       ` Michael Ash
From: Michael Ash @ 2013-06-17 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: ntg-context

There is a nice answer from W. Schuster to the vowel placement question in
the archives at http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/059969.html (I
didn't find it because the subject is "Misaligned Marks" rather than
"Hebrew vowel placement" but it resolves the question.  (Idris's
suggestions regarding options  to \definefontfeature were right on --
thanks) and I also learned more about \setupalign
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupalign

"*I am trying to set some text in Hebrew with diacritical marks, and
whenever there is a diacritical that's supposed to come in the middle of a
letter, all the marks are coming off misaligned, right after the glyph
rather than in the middle of it (or wherever they're supposed to be)."
*

Solution:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes,mark=yes]

\setmainfont[Ezra SIL][features=hebrew]

\setupalign[r2l]

\starttext
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

Thanks all.

@ 2014-05-01  5:28         ` Michael Ash
From: Michael Ash @ 2014-05-01  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

This seems to have broken in my latest upgrade.  The diacriticals (vowels)
are no longer centered under the Hebrew lettes.  They are now misaligned
again.

Also, the script=hebr option in definefontfeature now generates an error
(see the original code in the second message). The following code works but
with misaligned vowels. So the ccmp option doesn't seem to be working
anymore.

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][ccmp=yes,mark=yes]
\setmainfont[Ezra SIL][features=hebrew]
\setupalign[r2l]
\starttext
בְרֵאשִ֖ית בָרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

Thank you very much for suggestions.

Best,
Michael

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Michael Ash <mash@econs.umass.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>>> --
>>> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
>>> Department of Philosophy
>>> Colorado State University
>>> Fort Collins, CO 80523
>>

>> --
>> Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
>> Professor of Economics and Public Policy
>> University of Massachusetts
>> Amherst, MA 01003
>> Email mash@econs.umass.edu
>> Tel +1-413-545-2590 Twitter @michaelaoash
>>

> --
> Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
> Professor of Economics and Public Policy
> University of Massachusetts
> Amherst, MA 01003
> Email mash@econs.umass.edu
> Tel +1-413-545-2590 Twitter @michaelaoash

--
Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
Professor of Economics and Public Policy
Tel +1-413-545-2590 Twitter https://twitter.com/michaelaoash

* Re: Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt.
@ 2014-05-02 18:36           ` Michael Ash
From: Michael Ash @ 2014-05-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

May I bump?

The following code used to work, but now it gives an error:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][mode=node,script=hebr,language=dflt,mark=yes,ccmp=yes]
\setmainfont[Ezra SIL SR][features=hebrew]
\setupdirections[bidi=on]
\starttext
בְרֵאשִ֖ית בָרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

The following variant (without "script=hebr") compiles but the vowels are
misplaced (not centered below the letters), which "ccmp=yes" (see
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ae.htm#ccmp) is
supposed to request:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][mode=node,language=dflt,mark=yes,ccmp=yes]
\setmainfont[Ezra SIL SR][features=hebrew]
\setupdirections[bidi=on]
\starttext
בְרֵאשִ֖ית בָרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

The problem in definefontfeature seems to be that the feature "ccmp=yes" is
not taking effect, and the feature "script=hebr" generates an error.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Michael

@ 2014-05-02 22:58             ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-05-02 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-05-02 14:36, Michael Ash wrote:
> May I bump?
>
> The following code used to work, but now it gives an error:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][mode=node,script=hebr,language=dflt,mark=yes,ccmp=yes]
> \setmainfont[Ezra SIL SR][features=hebrew]
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> \starttext
> ?????????? ?????? ????????? ???? ?????????? ?????? ????????
> \stoptext
>
> The following variant (without "script=hebr") compiles but the vowels
> are misplaced (not centered below the letters), which "ccmp=yes" (see
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ae.htm#ccmp) is
> supposed to request:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][mode=node,language=dflt,mark=yes,ccmp=yes]
> \setmainfont[Ezra SIL SR][features=hebrew]
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> \starttext
> ?????????? ?????? ????????? ???? ?????????? ?????? ????????
> \stoptext
>
> The problem in definefontfeature seems to be that the feature
> "ccmp=yes" is not taking effect, and the feature "script=hebr"
> generates an error.
>
> Thank you very much for your advice.
>
> Michael

Michael,

Sorry to say, no problem here with your example, and trimming the second
line even further to

    \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes]

still produces results with no errors and proper nikkud alignment (run
on a system running Windows 8.1 x64 and ConTeXt standalone 2014-04-28
standard and jit).

Similarly, no problem with traditional font definition without simplefonts.

What platform are you using, what version of Ezra SIL SR (likely 2.51,
but worth asking)?

--
rik kabel