* upload
@ 2023-04-11 21:02 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just uploaded an update, the areas that were touched:

- math (font) improvements (with mikael, roadmap stuff, fixes, compact
mode testing)
- text (font) improvements (with mikael, side track of math)
- experimental stuff wrt project structure (with alan, complex huge
files; prelude to possible partial overhaul)
- some language details like labels (with tomas & students, ongoing)
- little thingies that probably no one will notice unless it's bugged

Hans

* upload
@ 2022-12-21 16:20 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-21 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version of lmtx. This version uses a new counter and
dimension model deep down (\newinteger and \newdimension) which is more
efficient in certain cases. From the user's perspective there is no
difference between \newcount and \newdimen although there are some
fundamental differences. I might have overlooked a few cases where it
does make a difference in ConTeXt (easy to handle once I know).

The test suite runs 5-10 % faster depending on the load of the machine
and the gain mostly relates to memory access (where processes fight over
memory and cpu cache). Of course I can probably gain more but using a
faster machien than this 5 year old one but why waste a good machine.

Some other possible speedups are on-hold till I have better test cases.

Hans

* upload
@ 2022-12-09 16:41 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new upload:

- we had a dir node leak (in some cases), fixed
- some fun stuff that i couldn't resist adding:

% \bgroup
% \unprotect
% \catcode`< \lettercatcode
     \ifnum 1  = 2 n \else y \fi
     \ifnum 1  > 2 n \else y \fi
     \ifnum 1  < 2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 != 2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 !> 2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 !< 2 n \else y \fi
     \ifnum 1 ≠  2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 ≥  2 n \else y \fi
     \ifnum 1 ≤  2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 ≱  2 n \else y \fi
     \ifnum 1 ≰  2 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 ∈  3 y \else n \fi
     \ifnum 1 ∉  3 n \else y \fi
% \protect
% \egroup

Hans

* upload
@ 2022-10-21 19:23 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-21 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated lmtx ... there are a few fixes for issues reported on the
list. In the perspective of updating math the - otherwise unchanged -
mkiv variant has also been updated a little. No new commands, just some
(already old) experimental font related features gone and replaced by a
combined one inspired by what we do in lmtx. In our opinion on the
average it should not come out worse.

Hans

* upload
@ 2022-07-06 20:10 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-07-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're pleased to announce the first official release of the new math
code. We're talking of:

-- a reworked math engine (which happened stepwise so some already
trickled into previous uploads)

-- settling on one model for display math but with alignment variants as
well as improving inline math (e.g. wrt linebreaks)

-- redoing bit of the (sub) numbering

-- improving the alignment features (the traditional one and the
text/page mode one)

-- fixing the math font using all kind of tweaks in the goodie file

-- providing means to annotate formulas

-- we ditched support for \over simply because it is too fragile wrt
spacing (one can \usemodule[oldmath] to get it back

-- we might move some more alien stuff to m-oldmath in due time

We paid a lot of attention to details of positioning, sizing and spacing
of glyphs. We do have some documents in the making that describe this
(some are in the ontarget namespace) and the second half of this year we
use for writing a math manual (Mikael) and updating the luametatex
manual (Hans). For sure we will run into unforseen issues, come up with
additional things and try to please users who have demands. There are
'hidden' features that will be revealed stepwise.

An example of some usage will be posted next.

The pragma-ade.com domain is still in transfer but the nl one should
work fine. There is now also a https://www.luametatex.org that might be
get some more than there is now (when i find it useful but best to have
the domain for the ctx group).

Mikael & Hans

(on behalf of the CMS)

* upload
@ 2022-05-09 15:41 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-05-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version of lmtx (also because some users have to test
some new metapost functionality). In the next upload metafun will use
'double' mode (and scaledfun will be the traditional one). The advantage
is less dager for overflows and in the meantime running in double mode
is often also faster.

Hans

* upload
@ 2022-03-25 10:01 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-03-25 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last night I uploaded a new lmtx:

- fix in new strut handling
- zint support improved
- some more math font tweaks (mikael will enlighten *)
- math alignment spacing nornmalized (mikael will explain *)
- new simplealignment environmet (mikael will document *)

We're now playing a bit more with combining graphics and math
(educational usage)

Hans

* when asked

* upload
@ 2021-12-30 18:14 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-30 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I pploaded a new lmtx (no rpi 64 bins yet, one can pick these up from
the build in a few days).

Apart from a few fixes (older side float issue, some recent special rule
related things) the only new thing is 'low level anchoring'. More can be
found in ontarget.pdf (ontarget-anchoring.tex). It basically boils down
to boxes listening to source, target and anchor keys, as in:

\vbox
     source 123
     \bgroup
         \offinterlineskip
         \blackrule[width=4cm,height=2cm,depth=0cm,color=darkred]\par
         \blackrule[width=4cm,height=0cm,depth=1cm,color=darkblue]\par
         \setbox\scratchboxtwo\hbox
             anchors "0004 "0001
           % anchor "00040001
             target 123
             orientation 1
             {\blackrule[width=2cm,height=1cm,depth=0cm,color=darkgreen]%
              \hskip-2cm
              \blackrule[width=2cm,height=0cm,depth=1cm,color=darkyellow]}%
           %
         \smash{\box\scratchboxtwo}%
     \egroup

the mentioned document describes a bit higher interface (plugs into
layers) .. all kind of experimental and meant as teaser for users who
like low level stuff (playground).

I also made it possible to use context \frules with leaders as in:

test \leaders \frule height 6mm depth 3mm radius 1mm\hfill test

\startuseMPgraphic{demoleader}
     fill
         unitcircle xysized (RuleWidth,RuleHeight+RuleDepth)
         withcolor RuleColor ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

test {\red \leaders \frule
     height 6mm
     depth  3mm
     type    mp
     data    {\includeMPgraphic{demoleader}}
\hfill} test

\startuseMPgraphic{demoleader}
     drawdblarrow (0,RuleHeight) -- (RuleWidth,RuleHeight)
         withpen pencircle scaled  RuleThickness
         withcolor RuleColor ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

test {\red \leaders \frule
     height  1mm % we need at least some dimensions
     type    mp
     line    1mm
     data    {\includeMPgraphic{demoleader}}
\hfill} test

(leaders can have boxes, rules and also glyphs)

In principle we can also have adaptive images (basically scaling) so I
might make an example of that later (when i need it).

Of course I'll fix things I broke this time,

Hans

[parent not found: <mailman.320.1640390435.1172.ntg-context@ntg.nl>]
* upload
@ 2021-12-24 18:45 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

When wrapping up before the weekend I uploaded a new lmtx (bottom floats
fixed afaiks, but hat mechanism might see some improvements anyway next
year; exit codes more reliable; some low level tracing; side float
coming loose from section head issue solved; ...).

I'm experimenting with some more efficient low level state info and in
the process ran into an issue / interference with (also low level)
attributes. I'm not sure if I solved it (work in progress, i need to run
into another border case first which may take ages) but the test suite
runs ok so ...

Hans

* upload
@ 2021-12-03 14:29 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

a new upload

- some keywords renamed in the engine and therefore more split between
mkiv and lmtx (hopefully i included all files) .. if something doesn't
work any more it might be because i missed a rename.

- i finally decied that it does make sense to have native loops at the
primitive level (after all, metapost as macro language also has them)
and although much is possible in macros it doesn't mean we have to do it
the (often ugly and showing-off-by-abusing-side-effects way).

We have just a constructor:

   \unexpandedloop      1 100 1 {.}

and a fully expandable one for e.g. use in \edef:

   \expandedloop        1 100 1 {.}

plus an also fully expandable one for anywhere but with potential side
effects (out of order local loops):

   \localcontrolledloop 1 100 1 {.}

complemented by a few status primitives (integers, use \the or \number
to serialize them):

   \currentloopiterator
   \currentloopnesting

and a quitter that aborts at the next iteration:

   \quitloop

as usual it's experimental for a while. Among the rationales are 'less
tracing clutter', 'performance' and 'more natural primitive tex coding'
(but that one is personal).

Hans

* upload
@ 2021-11-24 14:29 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-11-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

for those who keep an eye on what is new, the most recent upload
provides this:

\starttext

$\Umathxscale\textstyle  800 a + b + x + d + e = f $\par
$\Umathxscale\textstyle 1000 a + b + x + d + e = f $\par
$\Umathxscale\textstyle 1200 a + b + x + d + e = f $\blank

$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[narrow] a + b + x + d + e = f $\par
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[normal] a + b + x + d + e = f $\par
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[wide]   a + b + x + d + e = f $\blank

$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[tight]  x^2_1$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[normal] x^2_1$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[loose]  x^2_1$\blank

$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[narrow]\sqrt[2]{x+1}$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[normal]\sqrt[2]{x+1}$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[wide]  \sqrt[2]{x+1}$\blank

$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[less]  \sqrt[2]{x+1}$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[normal]\sqrt[2]{x+1}$\quad
$\showboxes\setupmathspacing[more]  \sqrt[2]{x+1}$\blank

\stoptext

it's still experimental so the predefined values might change

Hans

* upload
@ 2021-10-21 18:04 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-10-21 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cleaned up some more backend code.  There were some mails about dates
and such and although the date field in setupinteraction works ok a more
drastic overload is doen with directives. The reason is that the fact
that we can set the date (and traler) is only because it permits
generating pdf files that can be compared. No date as a bad idea anyway.

\setupinteraction[title=My Title]
% \enabledirectives[backend.date=2034-06-07]
\enabledirectives[backend.date=no]
\enabledirectives[backend.trailerid=no]
\starttext

\startTEXpage
     \blackrule[height=1cm,depth=0cm,width=4cm,color=darkred]
\stopTEXpage

(there always were command line options for it)

More interesting is asome new experimental code:

\starttext

\dostepwiserecurse{40}{110}{2}{
     \startTEXpage[offset=4mm,width=#1mm,align={stretch,normal,tolerant}]
         \showmakeup[penalty]%
         \orphanpenalties 4 4000 3000 2000 1000\relax
         \updateparagraphpenalties
         \samplefile{tufte}
         \par
     \stopTEXpage
}

\stoptext

it's an addendum to the widowpenalties and clubpenalties introduced by
etex but this time it's horizontal; the orphan penalties will be
inserted before spaces (aka spaceskip, xspaceskip and zerospaceskip
glue) so in this case 4000 between the last two 'words' and this
trickery can be used to make sure that the last line is not too short

         \orphanpenalties 4 4000 3000 -12000 1000\relax

is also intereting

it's work in progress (i need to play more with it and figure out nice
values for context) .. there might be more such 'simple' useful tricks

Mikael: you can test the math cheat (doesn't make the font nicer).
Pablo : transparencies should work again (wrong alias fixed).
Michal: you can check the dates (as for sure i messed up something).

Hans

* upload
@ 2021-10-18 21:17 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-10-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new lmtx. This one is a little experimental because I
removed so redundant / intermediate code still present from teh
transition from mkiv to lmtx (mostly backend related). I might have
missed something (not all is in the test suite) but nothing that can't
be fixed easy, most has to do with the timing of definitions.

But I assume users save their stable trees anyway ...

(rpi bins should be in sync too.)

Hans

* upload
@ 2020-11-23 17:55 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a next iteration of lmtx. From now on there are dedicated sub
directories for mklx and mpxl, which is an indication that we're on the
way to a full code split.

Hans

* upload
@ 2020-11-17 11:55 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-17 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version of lmtx (and mkiv). We're still in the process
of migrating code from mkiv to lmtx (using new features). Anyway, I also
uploaded a few more (preliminary) 'manuals'

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/lowlevel-macros.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/lowlevel-security.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/lowlevel-conditionals.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/lowlevel-boxes.pdf

but some is work in progress. It shows a bit how things evolve(d) and
what ws and i are dealing with now.  More (details) in due time.

Hans

* upload
@ 2020-07-27 14:42 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-07-27 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally we don't report on successive loe level improvements in the
engine or the core of context (we do so in articles and wrapups), and
much goes unnoticed anyway (which is good). But ... the last couple of
weeks we have been playing with some adapted functionality in lmtx and
some of the experimental low level code has now made it in core.
Normally users will not notice this but who knows.

There are already features in lmtx that are not (and are unlikely to be)
in mkiv (most significant in the metapost related part). When possible
new macros and additions to mechanism will be in both mkiv and lmtx, but
lmtx users will be better off in the end. We're mostly talking of the
more tricky mechanisms here, those that currently have limitations due
to all kind of possible interferences. To summarize:

mkii : frozen (seldom patches)
lmtx : cutting edge
mkiv : when possible following lmtx, otherwise frozen

Because we develop lmtx and luametatex alongside it is no problem if we
have experimental (and even temporary imperfect) code in the engine:
context knows about it and especially with experiments, we try to make
sure it doesn't hit users (who we don't expect to use those, often
undocumented, new tricks anyway). It's sometimes the only way to go
forward (stepwise testing).

So, here is an example of where lmtx can do better than mkiv:

\placefigure[left]{}{}      \input ward  \par
\placefigure[left]{}{} {\bf \input ward} \par

Another area is in using footnotes. As a first step to more robust
handling of deeply nested notes, lmtx now defaults to (the more than a
decade optional in mkiv) \automigrateinserts, but with less overhead
(for performance reasons, it was never enabled in mkiv, apart from
occasional side effects). It is features like these that will stepwise
be improved, at least that is what we hope for.

So, the current upload has some new stuff, hopefully without too many
side effects, but if so, we'll deal with it as usual. As a result, the
latest lmtx could be a little slower, but I wonder if someone will
notice it in practice.

Hans

* upload
@ 2020-02-11 16:00 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a fresh lmtx. There is some new stuff in there:

- upgraded mysql and sqlite support (more about that later as i need to
check it some more)

- upgraded support for barcodes using libzint (at some point we will
provide this in the installation)

- support for gnuplot as in:

\usemodule[gnuplot]

\starttext
     \externalfigure[gpdemo.gp][conversion=svg,width=4cm]
     \externalfigure[gpdemo.gp][conversion=svg,width=8cm]
stoptext

a new terminal feature is under investigation by Mojca and me
but this is a start

- support for ecmascript for those who think thayt javascript is better
than lua (of course only to find out at some point that it's not true in
the perspective of context but it migh tmake a transition easier). For
the impatient:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/ecmascript-mkiv.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/latest/texmf-win64-lib.zip

(after unzipping in the right spot, yuou need to run mtxrun --generate)

other platforms will follow once Mojca and I have dealt with them on the
compile farm so windows users have the scoop here). So

\startecmacode
   texsprint("\\startpacked");
   for (var i = 1; i <= MyMax; i++) {
     texprint(
        "Here is some rather dumb math test:" +
         Math.sqrt(i/MyMax) +
        "!\\par"
     );
   }
   texsprint("\\stoppacked");
\stopecmacode

is the alternative for javascript lovers then (no access to tex
internals, once someone wants that lua is the way to go!)

Hans

* upload
@ 2013-03-05 18:18 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-03-05 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a 0.75 matching beta. I also

new / updated:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/sql-mkiv.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/lua-mkiv.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/templates-mkiv.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cld-mkiv.pdf

Unfortunately I haven't finished the new detailed font manual yet.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* upload
@ 2012-07-04  8:56 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-04  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a beta. There has been the usual amount of renamings going on
so there might be problems.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* upload
@ 2012-06-22  9:37 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-22  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new beta (still no current). Some more core modules have
been cleaned up (so Wolfgang cum suis have to do more checking).

I also changed the status-mkiv.pdf document and added columns for
'reference', 'wiki' and 'manuals' so that we can keep track of what is
done. Hopefully someone (other than me) will provide the right info for
that (goes in status-mkiv.lua).

Some 64 modules to go. When all the tex code is done, I'll go over the
lua code. When all that is done, we have to hope a rather clean
repository (Mojca is working in that) and starting point for the real
challenges.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* upload
@ 2012-06-19 20:40 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-19 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a version that has the bTABLE mechanism reorganized
(different low level names etc). Hopefully nothing got broken in the
process.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* upload
@ 2006-04-07  8:22 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-07  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded new minimals and cdwincontext versions

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE