The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-04-30 16:03 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-04-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> From: David Evans <dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
> > cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint
>
> to the end of this line?  Perhaps the autoconfig parser becomes confused
> if there aren't any.

	I don't think that's the problem in this case - the error that is
	being printed out:

	 cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 no address found for kl/dl-11

	comes from what appears to be a missing entry (or an entry that
	autoconfig can't find) in the /unix kernel symbol table.   One way,
	I think, this can happen is when booting an alternate kernel (/genunix
	instead of /unix).

	THe only suggestion I have at this point is to turn on debugging
	in autoconfig.   To do this go into /sys/autoconfig/main.c and
	add a line that forces 'debug = 1;', then install (after saving the
	original ;)) autoconfig into /etc and reboot.   Hopefully useful
	info about what autoconfig is doing will be printed.

>   Mine is at least correctly identified by autoconfig, though I've never
> attached a terminal to it to see whether the ports actually do anything.
> The post that's vanished included my dhv line from /etc/dtab but, except
> for the goofy CSR I used for some reason that I cannot now remember, it

	If I find the time I'll power up the 11/73 and see what it says but
	I've had a DHV11 on the system for years (it's how I got the RTS/CTS
	flow control working).

	My suspicion is that the DHV clone isn't behaving 100% like a DEC
	DHV card.

> > BTW: Never play with the SMD cables when the machine is running. Now I
> > get:
>
>   Is the disk write-inhibited?

	Doing a 'reboot' (which performs a sync(2) call) will overwrite
	what fsck has done - when the message about "reboot" comes out you
	should use the front panel or ODT to simply halt the cpu and then
	start the boot process cold.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-05-01 19:14 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2003-05-01 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Wilson <norman at nose.cs.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> This convenience was abolished in either 4.2 or 4.3 (I am
> travelling right now and cannot check manuals and
> sources).

I don't remember the details in my head and I'm also typing this on the go, but
in 4.3BSD fsck does work on the block device and then you reboot with, well,
reboot, and it works.

MS

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-05-01 13:49 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2003-05-01 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carl Lowenstein:

  Isn't this really true of Unix systems of any age, when doing fsck
  on a mounted root file system?

Some middle-elderly BSD systems--4.1 and possibly 4.0--
managed the buffer pool in such a way that the super-block
of a mounted file system was kept in the original buffer,
with device and block number correctly stored in the struct
buf header.  Hence if fsck wrote to the block device rather
than the raw one, the super-block came out right even when
checking a mounted file system; in particular there was no
need to reboot.

This convenience was abolished in either 4.2 or 4.3 (I am
travelling right now and cannot check manuals and
sources).  I never quite understood why, though I never
looked at the source code in the later systems.  The
scheme found in most current systems, in which the
root starts out read-only, is a better idea anyway.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON (normally)

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-05-01  9:24 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-05-01  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.04.30 11:43 Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> > Sounds like a funny bug?
> 	Yes, it does. A bug in the parsing. Why it does not affect
> all the lines is unknown.   Perhaps some trailing whitespace
> caused the parser to exhibit the bug.
Maybe I get some time at the VCFE to investigate this. (Showing
visitors "live hacking". ;-) )

> > But if I try to use /dev/ttyl1 I get a message about a unknown
> interrupt
> > and the output of /dev/ttyl1 hangs after the first character.
> 	What is the exact message?
Sorry don't know. I may be able to reproduce the error later. I got PSU
trouble when I wanted to do this yesterday...

> 	That would seem to indicate that the device is interrupting
> but not at the expected vector.
If I use a different vector (e.g. 404) it tells me that the vector is
wrong when booting. Maybe I can use a VAX with NetBSD for some
"probing"....
> > I have a M3106 DZQ11 that I can use instead.
> 	Definitely worth trying.
But when I was compiling the kernel with the new driver the machine
crashed. The PSU simply stoped working. :-((( It worked again when I
pulled all non-essential cards and the TK50. Maybe I overloaded the
PSU? Maybe I will need a new PSU soon? If everything fails I can use
the BA215 for the PDP-11. I have several spare PSUs for that box. But a
BA215 is not the "right", "contemporary" enclosure for PDP-11/73.
> I did the the same thing - wondered why I could never get a
> clean	file system.   Then I realized what was going on.
Nice to hear that I am not the only one who made that mistake. ;-)
--

tschüß,
           Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-05-01  4:04 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-05-01  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu>
> > > [...]
> >
> > 	I did the the same thing - wondered why I could never get a clean
> > 	file system.   Then I realized what was going on.
>
> Isn't this really true of Unix systems of any age, when doing fsck
> on a mounted root file system?

	Not really.  Newer systems mount the root filesystem read-only
	while running fsck.   After the filesystem is verified as clean
	then it is upgraded to read-write.

	Older systems such as 2BSD can't run with a read-only root
	filesystem that I know of.   At least not easily/happily.   Might be
	possible (the ability to upgrade a ro mount to rw is present) but
	it's never been a priority to look into it ;)

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-05-01  3:48 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-05-01  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
In a word, "Yes". I have seen it happen on a system running Linux,
here, and the disk was going. It would eventually destroy its
partition table, but that is beside the point.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

On

@ 2003-05-01  3:30 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2003-05-01  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-04-30 18:43 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-04-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> As already mentioned: If I add comments at the end of the lines it

> cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn      2 176550 354    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn      3 176560 364    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 attached
> cn 2 csr 176550 vector 354 attached
> cn 3 csr 176560 vector 364 attached
> Sounds like a funny bug?

	Yes, it does.   A bug in the parsing.   Why it does not affect all
	the lines is unknown.   Perhaps some trailing whitespace caused the
	parser to exhibit the bug.

> But if I try to use /dev/ttyl1 I get a message about a unknown interrupt
> and the output of /dev/ttyl1 hangs after the first character.

	What is the exact message?   I did a "strings /unix" and could not
	not find a string that looked mentioned unknown or interrupt.

	That would seem to indicate that the device is interrupting but not
	at the expected vector.

	It is possible to use 'adb' to look at the contents of the vectors.

	adb -k /unix /dev/kmem
	0344/o

	will show the contents of the 0344 vector.  The value there should
	be equal to 'cnrint' (or cnxint - I forget which comes first).

> I have a M3106 DZQ11 that I can use instead.

	Definitely worth trying.

> The DHV is a DEC M3104:
> dhv ? csr 160440 vector 310 didn't interrupt.
> The DL11 card is a clone made by Sigma.

	Ah, ok.  Thanks for the correction.   I misread the initial mail item.

@ 2003-04-30 16:59       ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2003-04-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:23:49PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.04.30 15:40 David Evans wrote:
>
> >   I didn't see my other post go through;
> I got it only via private mail.

  Ahh, OK--misfire on my part.

> > have you tried adding some comments
> > to the end of this line?  Perhaps the autoconfig parser becomes
> > confused if there aren't any.
> Hmm.
> [...]
> I added comments at the end of the lines and now it works:
>
> April 30 17:29:29 init: configure system
>
> dhv ? csr 160440 vector 310 didn't interrupt.

  OK--that at least fixed the "three handlers" (or whatever) error message.
I haven't looked in detail at the parsing code for autoconfig so I don't
know why this is happening.  I may poke at it tonight if I have the energy,
though of course Steve has the knowledge to do it more easily.  :-)

> But still trouble with the dhv. Maybe wrong interrupt vector too?

  It's possible that your DHV board is simply strapped for something other
than 310.

> Normaly I use the console for booting only and then I telnet to the
> machine.

  Likewise.

> But I wane connect some terminals to the PDP-11 at the VCFe, so
> the visitors can log in play around.

  Not a bad plan.

> [fsck trouble]
> >   Is the disk write-inhibited?
> No. It seams that I made the mistake to reboot using reboot(8) insted of
> power cycling the machine when fsck modified the file system. Didn't
> notice that / was mounted r/w.

  I typically use "reboot -n" in such circumstances.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-04-30 16:58 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-04-30 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.04.30 17:56 Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> 	Interesting.   I do not recall any particular problem getting
> 	additional DL devices recognized (the 11/93 had 7 of them).
As already mentioned: If I add comments at the end of the lines it
works:
cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
cn      2 176550 354    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
cn      3 176560 364    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 attached
cn 2 csr 176550 vector 354 attached
cn 3 csr 176560 vector 364 attached
Sounds like a funny bug?

But if I try to use /dev/ttyl1 I get a message about a unknown interrupt
and the output of /dev/ttyl1 hangs after the first character.

> 	If you do
> 		nm /unix | egrep 'cnxint|cnrint'
> 	what do you see?
# nm /unix | egrep 'cnxint|cnrint'
007402 T _cnrint
007624 T _cnxint
000050 t cnrint
000060 t cnxint

> 	Yes, it's a little better.  Not as nice as a DHQ-11 though
I have a M3106 DZQ11 that I can use instead.

> I forget the exact error you were getting on the DHV but if it was
> 'no interrupt' then it might be that the DHV clone is not behaving
> exactly like a DEC DHV
The DHV is a DEC M3104:
dhv ? csr 160440 vector 310 didn't interrupt.
The DL11 card is a clone made by Sigma.

> How are you rebooting?  With the "reboot" command or by using the
> 'halt' button?
[...]
Noticed that already. I am really not used to Unix stuff of that age.
;-)
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-04-30 16:23     ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-04-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.04.30 15:40 David Evans wrote:

>   I didn't see my other post go through;
I got it only via private mail.

> have you tried adding some comments
> to the end of this line?  Perhaps the autoconfig parser becomes
> confused if there aren't any.
Hmm.
[...]
I added comments at the end of the lines and now it works:

April 30 17:29:29 init: configure system

dhv ? csr 160440 vector 310 didn't interrupt.
ra 0 csr 172150 vector 154 vectorset attached
ra 1 csr 160334 vector 764 vectorset attached
rx ? csr 177170 vector 264 skipped:  No CSR.
tms 0 csr 174500 vector 260 vectorset attached
ts 0 csr 172520 vector 224 attached
cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 attached
cn 2 csr 176550 vector 354 attached
cn 3 csr 176560 vector 364 attached

Hmmm. No manpage for cn/dl/kl? Major / minor device numbers?
[reading the kernel source]
Aha. /dev/ttyl1 is what I am looking for. But the interrupt vector seams
to be wrong.

But still trouble with the dhv. Maybe wrong interrupt vector too? Maybe
I compile a kernel with support for a DZQ11...

> > But I would prefere to get the DHV11 working. It seams that this
> > device is more suitable for multi user operation.
>   Mine is at least correctly identified by autoconfig, though I've
> never attached a terminal to it to see whether the ports actually do
> anything.
Normaly I use the console for booting only and then I telnet to the
machine. But I wane connect some terminals to the PDP-11 at the VCFe, so

@ 2003-04-30 15:56 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-04-30 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> > > cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 no address found for kl/dl-11
> > 	Is 'cn 1 ...' line 38 of the /etc/dtab file?
> Yes:
> cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint

	Interesting.   I do not recall any particular problem getting
	additional DL devices recognized (the 11/93 had 7 of them).

	Seeing the 'no address found' error is *strange* though - that
	would indicate that 'autoconfig' could not find 'cnrint' or 'cnxint'
	in the /unix symbol table.   Look at /sys/autoconfig and you can
	see where that message is coming from.

	If you do

		nm /unix | egrep 'cnxint|cnrint'

	what do you see?

> NKL             4               # KL11, DL11
> The card has four ports, one of them is the console. (The M8192 CPU card
> has no SLU / ROM / ...)

	Ah, ok.   My 11/73 has a SLU/ROM card and the console is on that.  I
	also have a DHV installed (alas, the system is powered down now
	so I can not check for more information).

> But I would prefere to get the DHV11 working. It seams that this device
> is more suitable for multi user operation.

	Yes, it's a little better.  Not as nice as a DHQ-11 though (which can
	run in DHU or DHV modes - with DHU mode having much better silo
	handling).

	I forget the exact error you were getting on the DHV but if it was
	'no interrupt' then it might be that the DHV clone is not behaving
	exactly like a DEC DHV

	In /sys/autoconfig/dhvauto.c here is how the probing attempts to
	force an interrupt:

dhvprobe(addr,vector)
        struct dhvdevice *addr;
        int vector;
{
    if ( grab ( &(addr->dhvcsr) ) & DHV_CS_MCLR )
        DELAY(35000L);
    if ( grab ( &(addr->dhvcsr) ) & (DHV_CS_MCLR|DHV_CS_DFAIL) )
        return ( 0 );
    stuff ( DHV_CS_RI | DHV_CS_RIE, &(addr->dhvcsr) );
    DELAY(3500L);
    stuff ( 0, &(addr->dhvcsr) );
    return(ACP_IFINTR);
}

	Either 3500 microseconds (very approximately of course) is too short
	of a wait _or_ the method of trying to generate an interrupt is
	not correct.    You can try changing 'ACP_IFINTR' to 'ACP_EXISTS'
	which tells autoconf to not care if the device interrupted or not.

> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Root file system
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
> BLK(S) MISSING
> SALVAGE? y
>
> ** Phase 6 - Salvage Free List
> 1364 files, 11625 used, 2430 free
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
>
> But on the next reboot I get the same when running fsck. Any hints?

	How are you rebooting?  With the "reboot" command or by using the
	'halt' button?   You do not want to use the 'reboot' command because
	that does a "sync" which flushes the disc cache (and superblock) back
	out to disc - that overwrites the work that 'fsck' did.

	A few 'missing' blocks is not a serious problem though and can be
	ignored.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz

* [pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble
@ 2003-04-30 13:40   ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2003-04-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:24:22AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.04.30 00:48 Steven M. Schultz wrote:
>
> > > cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 no address found for kl/dl-11
> > > What is wrong with the "cn" devices?
> > 	Is 'cn 1 ...' line 38 of the /etc/dtab file?
> Yes:
> cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint

  I didn't see my other post go through; have you tried adding some comments
to the end of this line?  Perhaps the autoconfig parser becomes confused
if there aren't any.

> But I would prefere to get the DHV11 working. It seams that this device
> is more suitable for multi user operation.

  Mine is at least correctly identified by autoconfig, though I've never
attached a terminal to it to see whether the ports actually do anything.
The post that's vanished included my dhv line from /etc/dtab but, except
for the goofy CSR I used for some reason that I cannot now remember, it
looked like yours.

> BTW: Never play with the SMD cables when the machine is running. Now I
> get:

  Is the disk write-inhibited?

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca

@ 2003-04-30  8:24 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-04-30  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003.04.30 00:48 Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> > cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 no address found for kl/dl-11
> > What is wrong with the "cn" devices?
> 	Is 'cn 1 ...' line 38 of the /etc/dtab file?
Yes:
cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint

> 	Did you compile a kernel with NKL set to 5 (1 for the console
> 	and 4 for the DLV11J)?
# NKL includes both KL11's and DL11's.
NKL             4               # KL11, DL11
The card has four ports, one of them is the console. (The M8192 CPU card
has no SLU / ROM / ...)

But I would prefere to get the DHV11 working. It seams that this device
is more suitable for multi user operation.

BTW: Never play with the SMD cables when the machine is running. Now I
get:
# fsck
** /dev/ra0a
File System: /

@ 2003-04-29 22:48 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 2003-04-29 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> I am preparing my PDP-11/73 for my exhibition at the VCFe. I want to get
> the DHV11 (M3104) and a four port DLV11J clone to work. At the moment I
> get upon boot:
>
> autoconfig: warning: more than three handlers for device cn on line 38.

	That is not a normal message.  I believe autoconfig is saying that
	is something wrong with line 38 of /etc/dtab

@ 2003-04-29 21:54 Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2003-04-29 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)