The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  2:58 Norman Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-11-24  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Damien Wildie:

  It is Friday in Australia now

====

Yes, I know that.  I was at Caltech, it was one of the
first things they taught us.

I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.
Does any other country?

On the other hand, if Thanksgiving Day actually mattered to
anyone important, the original ctime(3) would have had a
special table to compute its date, including all the different
dates it had in the US before 1942.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON, thankfully

* [TUHS] Thanksgiving (was: Test, test)
@ 2023-11-24  3:18 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2023-11-24  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 21:58:15 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Damien Wildie:
>
>   It is Friday in Australia now
>
> ====
>
> Yes, I know that.  I was at Caltech, it was one of the
> first things they taught us.
>
> I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
> Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.

Well, it doesn't make any sense here, since summer starts next week.
But when has that worried people out to make a quick buck?

> Does any other country?

According to Wikipedia, Norfolk Island comes close.

> On the other hand, if Thanksgiving Day actually mattered to anyone
> important, the original ctime(3) would have had a special table to
> compute its date, including all the different a dates it had in the
> US before 1942.

Well, I think that ncal(1) would be a better choice nowadays.  Sounds
like a good project for times of boredom.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  4:13 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2023-11-24  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023, Norman Wilson wrote:

> I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving Day, they
> would choose to have it on the same day as the US. Does any other
> country?

I suppose the closest we have to Thanksgiving would be Invasion Day...

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  8:16 ` Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2023-11-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson, tuhs

On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 21:58 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:

> I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
> Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.
> Does any other country?

In Germany it's called "Erntedankfest",
on the first Sunday in October.

Hellwig

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24 14:06   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-11-24 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 11/24/23 02:16, Hellwig Geisse wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 21:58 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
>> I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
>> Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.
>> Does any other country?
>>
> In Germany it's called "Erntedankfest",
> on the first Sunday in October.
>
> Hellwig
Happy belated Erntedankfest :).

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24 19:41     ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-11-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: tuhs

Will Senn wrote in
 <4d39f7fd-aa85-429b-9276-2c115b5d3d08@gmail.com>:
 |On 11/24/23 02:16, Hellwig Geisse wrote:
 |> On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 21:58 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
 |>> I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
 |>> Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.
 |>> Does any other country?
 |>>
 |> In Germany it's called "Erntedankfest",
 |> on the first Sunday in October.
 |>
 |> Hellwig
 |Happy belated Erntedankfest :).

 |On 11/24/23 02:16, Hellwig Geisse wrote:
 |
 ||On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 21:58 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
 |
 |||I just don't understand why, if Australia had a Thanksgiving
 |||Day, they would choose to have it on the same day as the US.
 |||Does any other country?
 |
 ||In Germany it's called "Erntedankfest",
 ||on the first Sunday in October.
 |
 ||Hellwig
 |
 |Happy belated Erntedankfest :).

Not much no more except in the church, which is not much more
either.  But of course for some.  Ie many put their heart and free
time into social work there.

Regarding Halloween -- i live only about a kilometre, but not much
more (by air) away from Burg Frankenstein (actually a ruin), and
when i was young with all those many, many Americans in the Rhein-
Main-Gebiet (south of Frankfurt/Main .. air base, plus Ramstein
Airbase, plus Spangdahlem, .. and more, all not far away, plus
at least three bases inside Darmstadt where i live itself) they
celebrated that.  Maybe hundred or more busses parking (at
Pfungstadt railway station due to space constraints i'd say).
Unfortunately, now that the Americans are mostly gone, they
started to "eventize" that.  Some money making for "hungry"
students and such, i once passed by an "instruction" of paid ones
via bike (they were "biting" already).

I personally: NO.  'Don't like that, even though it is mayb fun
for the kids.  But unfortunately we all forget our own history,
and that is funny female witches enthusiastically riding their
broom in the night to May 1st, which i find a much more sympathic
and life fostering event.

Of course -- for all you reading this enthusiastic female witches
riding brooms is such a thing of the past that it almost is
forgotten.  [I hope political correctness does not read too much
in that "female", i mean something along those many choices all
the long way to the "male" counterpart.]  But nonetheless, the
vision alone i find much more sympathic.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24 19:55       ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-11-24 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: tuhs

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20231124194137.XQKAUc9i@steffen%sdaoden.eu>:
 |Will Senn wrote in
 | <4d39f7fd-aa85-429b-9276-2c115b5d3d08@gmail.com>:
 ||On 11/24/23 02:16, Hellwig Geisse wrote:
 ||> On Thu, 2023-11-23 at 21:58 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
 ||> In Germany it's called "Erntedankfest",
 ||> on the first Sunday in October.
 |for the kids.  But unfortunately we all forget our own history,
 |and that is funny female witches enthusiastically riding their
 |broom in the night to May 1st, which i find a much more sympathic
 |and life fostering event.

Walpurgisnacht that is.
And shall you search Google out of interest: i see pictures of
people who reuse their Halloween costume.  That is not how it was
when i was young.  (Though a normal witch can look quite scary by
itself; ie from famous omnipresent pictures i think Helena Bonham
Carter played such a one, she was capable to get it from somewhere
inside out.)  We also have a quite famous teenage girl witch, Bibi
Blocksberg i think ... witches can be good, too!  That
"Blocksberg" seems to come from the German mountain where, and
everybody (used to) know(s) that, they make huge fires and
celebrate all the night to May 1st: the "Brocken" in the Harz
mountains.  Ie block+mountain, and brocken=chunk.
(Just in case someone would actually search.)

(Other than that it seems to me, from bicycle rides, that the
American tradition of eating those poor ugly birds has not truly
ended up as a German one.  We had some farmers with those birds
running on green soil, in the Odenwald where i drive, but no more
now.  I have not seen them in the last couple of years, at least.
Special thanksgiving meals i cannot recall belong to us here?)

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-11-24 22:11 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-11-24 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

On Nov 23, 2023, at 4:30 PM, Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Just checking that the TUHS mailing list is still working.
> It's been awfully quiet!
> Cheers, Warren

There seem to be fewer and fewer messages on all the mailing
lists I have subscribed to. Seems to be a general phenomenon.
May be a topic for some social scientist to explore....

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24 14:01       ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-11-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 11/23/23 20:20, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 20:43:56 -0500, Stuff Received wrote:
>> On 2023-11-23 20:03, Will Senn wrote:
>>> Happy Thanksgiving!
>> In the U.S., certainly.  Do Auzzies celebrate thanksgiving?
> Not really, but if we did, it would have been yesterday.  But we do
> get exposed to Black Friday (today).
>
> Greg
> --
Well, I'd wish y'all a happy black friday, but there's something off in
that. Enjoy the day - shopping? I think not. I'll have a serving of
turkey, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, candied yams, green bean
casserole, pumpkin pie, and whatever else is left over and be thankful
for our holiday :).

Will

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  8:24       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-11-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stuff, grog; +Cc: tuhs

"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 20:43:56 -0500, Stuff Received wrote:
> > On 2023-11-23 20:03, Will Senn wrote:
> >> Happy Thanksgiving!
> >
> > In the U.S., certainly.  Do Auzzies celebrate thanksgiving?
>
> Not really, but if we did, it would have been yesterday.  But we do
> get exposed to Black Friday (today).

In the past decade or so, Israel too has started having Black Friday.
It seems that all the silly stuff in the US gets picked up here too. :-(

Arnold

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  8:22           ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2023-11-24  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023, John Cowan wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 12:12 AM Peter Yardley <
> peter.martin.yardley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The *Day* of the Dead is the 1st of November, All Hallows' Day or All
> Saints' Day, or the Feast of All Saints, which memorializes all the saints
> unknown and uncanonized.  (The 2nd of November is All Souls' Day or
> Soulmas, or the Feast of All the Faithful Departed.)

I thought the Day of the Dead was equivalent to All Souls' Day, rather
than All Saints' Day.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  8:18       ` Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS @ 2023-11-24  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: Stuff Received, TUHS

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> But we do get exposed to Black Friday (today).

As do we, silly as it is.  In fact, while the marketing frenzy is
peaking right now, "black weeks" began here in Norway a week or so ago,
and goes on until the end of the month, when Christmas takes over for
real.  Before this "black" silliness, we had "singles week", because the
marketeers had discovered the Chinese "singles' day", and imported that.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-11-24  7:23 ` Sergio Pedraja
From: Sergio Pedraja @ 2023-11-24  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Alive by now. End of the year is coming, and dormant projects reborn
suddenly as Lovecraftian creatures. So, I don't even see my email some days.

And, on the other hand, I'm getting old. Have a good day, everybody.

Cordiales saludos / Kind Regards.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
--
*Sergio Pedraja*
--

El vie, 24 nov 2023 a las 1:31, Warren Toomey via TUHS (<tuhs@tuhs.org>)
escribió:

> It's been awfully quiet!
> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  7:04         ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2023-11-24  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Yardley; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 12:12 AM Peter Yardley <
peter.martin.yardley@gmail.com> wrote:

All hallows eve, when the dead are allowed to walk the Earth. Other
> European cultures have it too, the day of the dead.

The *Day* of the Dead is the 1st of November, All Hallows' Day or All
Saints' Day, or the Feast of All Saints, which memorializes all the saints
unknown and uncanonized.  (The 2nd of November is All Souls' Day or
Soulmas, or the Feast of All the Faithful Departed.)    The name
"Hallowe'en" applies to the night before All Hallows, just like Christmas
Eve and Christmas: a hangover from the Jewish calendar, where all holidays
begin at sunset on the day before.  A friend of mine said to me once "On
erev [the day before] Hallowe'en ..." and I interrupted him:  "No, no,
Hallowe'en is already an erev!"

All Saints picked up a lot of energy in Mexico from vaguely similar Aztec
traditions.  It was then copied to the Philippines, which used to be
administered out of Mexico.  (Hence the riddle: What happened in the
Philippines on December 31st, 1845?"  The answer is "Absolutely nothing",
because it was skipped when the Philippines transitioned from Mexico time,
GMT-6, to its current time zone, GMT+8.)  It is even observed as a secular
holiday in thoroughly Muslim Indonesia!

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 12:42 AM Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
wrote:

There's also Christmas in July, or something like that.

Yes, Ymas (as in "the middle of [austral] winter, six months before Xmas".

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  5:42   ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2023-11-24  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 11/23/23 21:07, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> It does presumably have the advantage that
> companies don't start with their Christmas advertising in early
> October.

Eh ... I'm seeing Christmas start earlier and earlier.

@ 2023-11-24  5:12       ` Peter Yardley
From: Peter Yardley @ 2023-11-24  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

All hallows eve, when the dead are allowed to walk the Earth. Other European cultures have it too, the day of the dead.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Nov 2023, at 4:01 pm, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023, Wesley Parish wrote:
>
>> Like we in New Zealand now have Halloween?
>
> Hallowe'en is an ancient English thing; it's the Yank import of "trick or
> treat" that got pushed by the marketoids to make another quick buck is
> what annoys us.
>
> -- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  5:05       ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2023-11-24  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

True; but it wasn't a tradition that got imported to the lands downunder
with the convicts or the settlers. I used to read about "trick or treat"
in the ubiquitous US comic books, but never thought it'd be imported.

Wesley

On 24/11/23 18:01, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023, Wesley Parish wrote:
>
>> Like we in New Zealand now have Halloween?
> Hallowe'en is an ancient English thing; it's the Yank import of "trick or
> treat" that got pushed by the marketoids to make another quick buck is
> what annoys us.
>
> -- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  5:01     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2023-11-24  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2023-11-24  4:45   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2023-11-24  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey, Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

Like we in New Zealand now have Halloween?

Spare us!

Wesley

@ 2023-11-24  3:07 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2023-11-24  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-11-24  2:49 ` Damian Wildie
From: Damian Wildie @ 2023-11-24  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

It is Friday in Australia now

Kind regards
Damian Wildie

---- On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 12:45:46 +1000 Norman Wilson <mailto:norman@oclsc.org> wrote ---

Stuff Received:

@ 2023-11-24  2:45 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-11-24  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Stuff Received:

> In the U.S., certainly.  Do Auzzies celebrate thanksgiving?

Grog:

  Not really, but if we did, it would have been yesterday.  But we do
  get exposed to Black Friday (today).

===

Why yesterday?  In Canada we had ours a month and a half ago!

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  2:20     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2023-11-24  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuff Received; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-11-24  2:03 ` Molly A. McCollum
From: Molly A. McCollum @ 2023-11-24  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

It is indeed working -- I thought something was up myself due to the low
volume.

On 11/23/23 19:30, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> Just checking that the TUHS mailing list is still working.
> It's been awfully quiet!
> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  1:43   ` Stuff Received
From: Stuff Received @ 2023-11-24  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2023-11-23 20:03, Will Senn wrote:
> Happy Thanksgiving!

In the U.S., certainly.  Do Auzzies celebrate thanksgiving?

S.

> It's working.
>
> On 11/23/23 18:30, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
>> Just checking that the TUHS mailing list is still working.
>> It's been awfully quiet!
>> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  1:03 ` Will Senn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Will Senn @ 2023-11-24  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Happy Thanksgiving! It's working.

On 11/23/23 18:30, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> Just checking that the TUHS mailing list is still working.
> It's been awfully quiet!
> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  0:37   ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2023-11-24  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niklas Karlsson; +Cc: tuhs

Happy Thanksgiving. -- jpl

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 7:33 PM Niklas Karlsson <nikke.karlsson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ping! I'm still alive!
>
> /Niklas
>
> Den fre 24 nov. 2023 kl 01:31 skrev Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org
> >:
>
>> Just checking that the TUHS mailing list is still working.
>> It's been awfully quiet!
>> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: Test, test
@ 2023-11-24  0:33 ` Niklas Karlsson