The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Managers/architects (was: AIX moved into maintainance mode)
@ 2023-01-19 21:30 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-01-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> My guess is that Ivan Sutherland probably qualified back when he still
> programmed ... I mean, after all, he invented the linked list in order to
> implement his thesis program (Sketchpad) in about 1960.

I don't know whether Sutherland invented the  linked list, but if he
did, it had to be before he worked on sketchpad. I attended a lecture
about Lisp in 1959 in which McCarthy credited list-processing to
IPL-V, whose roots Newell places in 1954. Sketchpad ran on TX 0, which
became operational in 1956.

My nomination for a triple-threat computer guy is Vic Vyssotsky. A
great programmer, he invented the first stream-processing language
(BLODI) and bitwise-parallel dataflow analysis. As an architect, he
invented the single underlying address space for multics. As a
manager, he oversaw the building of and later ran the lab that became
AT&T Research. Finally he founded the DEC Cambridge Lab. He was a
subtle diplomat, too, who more than once engineered reversals of
policy without ruffling feathers.

Relative to linked lists, I remember Vic perceptively touting the then
startling usage J=NEXT(J).in Fortran.

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: Managers/architects (was: AIX moved into maintainance mode)
@ 2023-01-20  3:47   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2023-01-20  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Donner; +Cc: Noel Chiappa, tuhs

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 1:01 PM Marc Donner <marc.donner@gmail.com> wrote:

> My guess is that Ivan Sutherland probably qualified back when he still
> programmed ... I mean, after all, he invented the linked list in order to
> implement his thesis program (Sketchpad) in about 1960.

1963, which makes it younger than Lisp (McCarthy 1960) and IPL (Newell,
Shaw, Simon 1957), the original list-processing languages.

* [TUHS] Re: Managers/architects (was: AIX moved into maintainance mode)
@ 2023-01-19 21:12 ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2023-01-19 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> Bob Taylor? PARC did some _incredibly_ important stuff in his time. Yes, I
> know a lot of the credit goes to those under him (Butler Lampson, Alan Kay -
> not sure if he was in Taylor's group, Boggs, Metcalfe, etc) but he had to
> manage them all. Not sure what his technical role was, though.

Taylor was an extraordinary manager, but neither a programmer nor architect.
I’d certainly add Vic Vyssotsky as manager and technologist from my own experience
and labs folklore, but I don’t know about programming or architecture.

-Larry

* [TUHS] Re: Managers/architects (was: AIX moved into maintainance mode)
@ 2023-01-19 18:09   ` Charles H Sauer (he/him)
From: Charles H Sauer (he/him) @ 2023-01-19 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Not trying to keep AIX in the discussion, but the 3 in 1 list should
include Glenn Henry. Glenn was primarily a manager when I worked for
him, but was an architect before then and is still a programmer -- see
the summary at
http://web.archive.org/web/20200105071617/http://www.ece.utexas.edu/events/centaur-technologys-deep-learning-coprocessor-technology
and/or https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102738382

Charlie

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/

* [TUHS] Re: Managers/architects (was: AIX moved into maintainance mode)
@ 2023-01-19 18:00 ` Marc Donner
From: Marc Donner @ 2023-01-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs