The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-09 16:17 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-10-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Spotted this and ordered it on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/235246689392

After the link is a pretty nondescript comb-bound 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C.  I don't think I've seen comb-bound issues prior to the USENIX 4.2BSD set that introduced the Beastie cover.  Does anyone know if there was a limited run produced by the Berkeley folks themselves or if this is more likely a one-off someone printed for themselves?  Either way, this is an exciting find for the completeness of my library, this would leave 3BSD as the only VAX BSD version I don't have any Volume 2C papers in my bookshelf from.  If this does prove to be issue from Berkeley or someone directly adjacent to them, the next thing I hope to figure out is if this has Volume 1 and Volume 2A/2B companions.  I find myself curious because the 4BSD Volume 2C I have was following a plain Jane Version 7 Volume 2A/2B rather than also 4BSD 2A/2B, so whoever curated that set either got them that way or clobbered V7 and 4BSD docs together themselves.

- Matt G.

P.S. Would anyone be interested in some V7 binders?  I'm not keen on acquiring too many duplicates so would happily ship them to anyone wanting an original set of the papers from back when.  As a bonus, the binders have some nice numbered tabs separating the papers/sections.  I actually have three such binders, two that seem to be stock V7 Volume 2A/2B and one that is V7 Volume 1 but slightly tweaked with some "local" pages (to my knowledge, local to MIT Lincoln Labs, they added stuff like the RAND editor).  Just let me know, if I don't hear anyone speak for them in a month or so they're going to the CS department at the local uni, they've got a shelf with some 4.3BSD binders that could use some elder influence :)

* [TUHS] Re: Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-10  2:11 ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2023-10-10  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 04:17:36PM +0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> Spotted this and ordered it on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/235246689392
>
> After the link is a pretty nondescript comb-bound 4.1BSD User's
> Manual Volume 2C.  I don't think I've seen comb-bound issues prior
> to the USENIX 4.2BSD set that introduced the Beastie cover.  Does
> anyone know if there was a limited run produced by the Berkeley
> folks themselves or if this is more likely a one-off someone printed
> for themselves?  Either way, this is an exciting find for the
> completeness of my library, this would leave 3BSD as the only VAX
> BSD version I don't have any Volume 2C papers in my bookshelf from.
> If this does prove to be issue from Berkeley or someone directly
> adjacent to them, the next thing I hope to figure out is if this
> has Volume 1 and Volume 2A/2B companions.  I find myself curious
> because the 4BSD Volume 2C I have was following a plain Jane Version
> 7 Volume 2A/2B rather than also 4BSD 2A/2B, so whoever curated that
> set either got them that way or clobbered V7 and 4BSD docs together
> themselves.

Brian Ehrmantraut's photo has two 4.1BSD volumes:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/internetoldfarts/posts/722465582733996/
Link from when the Wollongong Group version of the commentary was
mentioned here.

There was a Bell Laboratories printing of the 4.1BSD manuals.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1981-bell-laboratories-unix-users-1947580163
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1980-bell-laboratories-unix-1947578308

A list of documents included with the distribution can be found in
doc/vmunix/cover*.  Below text from 4.1a.tar.gz included in the CSRG
Archives.

				   July 8, 1981

This is a full distribution kit for the second release of
the Fourth Berkeley software tape, known as 4.1bsd.  The
package you received should have contained:

1)   Either a 2400' 1600 bpi magnetic tape or two RK07 disk
     cartridges containing the basic system software; this
     is the bootstrap distribution media.  A second 2400'
     1600 bpi tape or a third RK07 disk cartridge contains
     additional material beyond the basic system on the
     first tape (INGRES, source for documents in the
     manuals, bit mapped fonts, etc.)

2)   Documents titled ``Installing and operating 4.1bsd'',
     ``Bug fixes and changes in 4.1bsd'', ``Changes to the
     kernel in 4.1bsd'', and ``Hints on configuring VAX
     systems for UNIX''

3)   A two sided copy of volume 1 of the programmer's
     manual.

4)   A single sided, reproduction-quality copy of Volume 1
     of the programmer's manual for the system.

5)   A copy of a document describing fsck.

6)   A two sided copy of volumes 2a and 2b of the
     programmer's manual.

7)   A single sided, reproduction-quality, copy of Volume 2c
     of the programmer's manual for the system.

8)   2 Vi Reference Cards and a master for reproducing
     cards.

9)   Three documents describing the Berkeley Network.

10)  Two documents on the internals of the Pascal system.
     manual and a new table of contents for volume 2c.

* [TUHS] Re: Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-15  3:19   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-10-15  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I checked my bookshelf - my 4.1BSD manuals are the same Bell Labs
printing as the two Worthpoint links below. AFAIK they are a vanilla
printing of the soft copy from the 4.1 BSD tape.

If there is any value to documenting this further, please let me know.

Thanks,

/Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am)
maryannhorton.com <https://maryannhorton.com>

“This is a great book about an amazing journey of a woman
who went through hell to become the person she is today.”
* - Monica Helms, creator of the transgender flag*

"Brave and Important - Don’t miss this wonderful book!"
* - Laura L. Engel, Intl. Memoir Writers Assn.*

       Available on Amazon and bn.com. Audiobook on Google Play.

	<https://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-Lighting-Transgender-Equality-Corporate-ebook/dp/B0B8F2BR9B>

@ 2023-10-15  5:49     ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-10-15  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: tuhs

One thing worth noting, I think, not sure, but I think the contents suggest the 4BSD rather than 4.1BSD set, I can't tell for certain because I actually can't locate a 4.1BSD doc folder with the Volume 2C intro and TOC. The physical article (as well as a Acco binder copy I also have) both indicate November 1980 (as opposed to 4.1BSDs June 1981.) Curiously, the comb bound one has one extra entry in the TOC written in by hand: the curses paper. Indeed it is the last in the comb bound manual and not present in my Acco-bound copy.

Not conclusive of anything but just an observation, I can't track down an authoritatively-sourced copy of the doc/vmunix folder where the original of the TOC lives in 4BSD. The 4BSD typesetter sources of the TOC match what is in both copies I have, minus the hand-written curses inclusion.

It very well could be the Volume 2C version of the TOC stopped being maintained around this time as I likewise don't see the doc/vmunix folder in 4.1c or 4.2. Either way, just something I found odd, I can't 100% confirm parity with what would be in /usr/doc on a standard 4.1BSD distro, I'll have to go digging and see what I have though, I feel like I archived away some 4.1BSD stuff I found somewhere that had some delta with what is in the UNIX tree. Not going to draw any firm conclusions until I put eyes on doc sources though. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the manual amounts to more of a "4.0b", being the 4BSD set with some incremental changes towards 4.1. But again, nothing to back that up, just my initial impression.

- Matt G.

@ 2023-10-16 18:42       ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-10-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

My vol 2C is comb bound with the Bell logo on the front and back cover.

It matches what Matt describes below: Date November 1980, hand-written
part 55 (Curses) on TOC, Curses included.

I personally wrote "4.1 BSD Vol 2C" on the spine of my comb version, and
"4.1 BSD Vol 1" on the spine of the other comb bound, which were clearly
a set. (We were expected to use the V7 vol 2a and 2b, as they were not
changed.) Vol 1's title page is dated June, 1981". The preface of Vol 1
adds 3 paragraphs beginning "This update to the fourth distribution of
November, 1980 provides support for the VAX 11/750 and for the full
interconnect architecture of the VAX 11/780. ..." This paragraph is not
dated but would seem to be from June 1981.

I don't recall who ran the set of manuals in Bell Labs, but it wasn't
done at Columbus. Someone was kind enough to send me a set.

I'm inclined to believe Matt is right about vol 2C not being updated
except by pencil and the Curses section.

Interestingly, I also have a "UNIX 3.0 Vol 1" comb bound manual with the
same style of cover, same personal spine label, probably done at the
same time, likely by the same group. I don't recall who but I'll
speculate it was someone at MH or WH. Possibly Brian Redman?

@ 2023-10-16 19:49         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-10-16 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: segaloco, tuhs

Yes - I send a fairly detailed history, including pics but Warren's mailer
did not allow them.

Here is the short form:

ber did two printings of 4.1 [white/without and later, with BTL covers],
the second printing had the Marx supplement.
ber helped to facilitate the 4.2 printing with the BSD daemons - although
USENIX bankrolled it and did the distribution.
I do not know for sure who the editor for the 4.3 [colored combs + BSD
daemons] was [I think Keith, with help from Mike and Sam], but USENIX and
CSRG did that printing. and the distribution.
By the time of 4.4, USENIX approached Tim OReilly who used his own
printing, and binding set up - hence "perfect binding" not combs.

Clem

@ 2023-10-17  4:00         ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2023-10-17  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: tuhs

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 11:42:06AM -0700, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> My vol 2C is comb bound with the Bell logo on the front and back cover.
>
> It matches what Matt describes below: Date November 1980, hand-written part
> 55 (Curses) on TOC, Curses included.
>
> I personally wrote "4.1 BSD Vol 2C" on the spine of my comb version, and
> "4.1 BSD Vol 1" on the spine of the other comb bound, which were clearly a
> set. (We were expected to use the V7 vol 2a and 2b, as they were not
> changed.) Vol 1's title page is dated June, 1981". The preface of Vol 1 adds
> 3 paragraphs beginning "This update to the fourth distribution of November,
> 1980 provides support for the VAX 11/750 and for the full interconnect
> architecture of the VAX 11/780. ..." This paragraph is not dated but would
> seem to be from June 1981.
>
> I don't recall who ran the set of manuals in Bell Labs, but it wasn't done
> at Columbus. Someone was kind enough to send me a set.
>
> I'm inclined to believe Matt is right about vol 2C not being updated except
> by pencil and the Curses section.
>
> Interestingly, I also have a "UNIX 3.0 Vol 1" comb bound manual with the
> same style of cover, same personal spine label, probably done at the same
> time, likely by the same group. I don't recall who but I'll speculate it was
> someone at MH or WH. Possibly Brian Redman?

You mentioned the manuals in:
https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.unix.wizards/1981-December/000593.html

"Inside Bell Labs, we have ordered a bunch of 4.1BSD manuals printed
like our 3.0 manuals (6x9 with the plastic ring binders).  We haven't
gotten them back yet (this is expected some time early next year) but
if they come out like our 3.0 manuals they will be a total win.
(The only disadvantage is that it's nearly impossible to add your own
local pages.)  Cost seems to be (50,$2000), (100,$2000), (200,$2500)...

When we get them, if they're good, I'll publicise the name of the print
company (they're in NJ) and people can probably work out some kind of
combined deal - the demand inside the labs was incredible (900 manuals)
and since everybody in the labs runs the non-Berkeley version of UNIX,
I expect the combined demand on the outside would knock down the price
real quick."

A scan of the 3.0 manual is on bitsavers:
https://bitsavers.org/pdf/att/unix/System_III/UNIX_Users_Manual_Release_3_Jun80.pdf (32M)

* [TUHS] Re: Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-17  5:30           ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2023-10-17  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: tuhs

Thanks for clarifying the 4.1 printings.

The role of Lewis Law and the Harvard Science Center in distributing
manuals is also interesting.

v6
https://archive.org/details/unix_news_april-30-1976/mode/2up
"The Science Center at Harvard is willing to undertake the task of
reproducing and distributing the manuals for UNIX."

pwb
https://archive.org/details/login_march-1978/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/login_apr98/page/n87/mode/2up

'Lews undertaking of reproduction and distribution of the UNIX manuals
meant that they would be more widely proliferated. Lou Katz told me:
"Up until that time, one got Xeroxed copies from Ken."'

"It was Lew Law who negotiated with AT&T to get permission to reproduce
Thompson’s copies."

v7, 4bsd
https://archive.org/details/login_january-1981/page/14/mode/2up

"Harvard University is continuing to act as a wholesale distributor of
manuals; currently in stock are V6, V7, PWB 1.0, and the Berkeley 4BSD."

4.1bsd
https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.unix.wizards/1981-December/000084.html
"Harvard Science Center is a local distribution center for all
UNIX (V6, V7, PWB, 4.1BSD) manuals."

@ 2023-10-17 18:27           ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-10-17 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

So an update, looked around various BSD versions to try and resolve the confusion on naming/dates. From https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=4BSD/usr/man/man0/pref:

However, looking in the preface for 4.1BSD (as buried down in here http://bitsavers.org/bits/UCB_CSRG/4.1_BSD_19810710.zip) this bit is instead:

> This update to the fourth distribution of November 1980 provides support for the VAX 11/750 and for the full interconnect architecture of
> the VAX 11/780.

This does point to some confusion as the preface for the 4BSD manual states mid-October 1980, but then the cover page (and subsequent manuals) refer to November 1980.  Both 4.1c and 4.2 contain the following:

> This update to the 4.1 distribution of June 1981 provides support
> for the VAX 11/730, full networking and interprocess communication
> support, an entirely new file system, and many other new features.

Confusingly, the cover page in the 4.1BSD collection on bitsavers says November 1980 like the 4BSD one.  However, pretty much everything else refers to 4.1BSD as a June 1981 release.

Again with the "<prior version> of "<date>".  Rewind back to 3BSD, and the preface starts:

> This manual reflects the state of the Berkeley system, December 1979.

So going by manuals I can identify alone:

3BSD       - December 1979
4BSD       - October 1980/November 1980 (The preface says mid-October 1980, all subsequent stuff refers to 4BSD as a November 1980 release)
4.1BSD     - June 1981 (Although the Volume 1 cover page says November 1980, it appears unchanged from 4BSD at this point)
4.1cBSD    - March 1983
4.2BSD     - August 1983

Unfortunately that early 4.1BSD image doesn't seem to have the documents collection, just the manual itself, so I can't really compare what that looked like in November 1980 to June 1981 to verify if anything other than the addition of the curses paper is salient to the 4->4.1 upgrade.

Briefly, the changes from V7 up through 3BSD are mainly:

- Replacement of PDP-11-specific stuff like the installation papers, assembler manual, and several hardware capabilities mentions in papers
- Replacement of adb papers and mentions with sdb
- The V7 summary is replaced with a 32V summary
- The Learn paper is dropped
- Many documents regarding the vmunix efforts and particulars of BSD are added (/usr/doc/vmunix, this folder disappears again by 4.1cBSD, complicating some comparisons)
- Volume 2C content (such as memacros, ex, pascal) are added

So really all someone would need from 2A/2B as a BSD user that aren't in a standard V7 set are assembler and debugger papers, installation/bootstrapping/maintenance notes, and the vmunix papers, all of which were probably easily accessible enough that running off all the rest just to have a proper set with these was considered overkill.

I'll do some more thorough analysis when I've got my desk setup at my new place, I already moved all my hard-copy manuals over there.  More in the future, but it's looking like the November 1980 on the cover page may not necessarily nail it as 4BSD rather than 4.1, the date may just not have been updated in the interim.  Until I see a /usr/doc folder from 4.1BSD (as opposed to 4.1cBSD) I can't say for certain.

- Matt G.

@ 2023-10-17 20:11             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-10-17 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: tuhs

Matt -- a couple of things to consider.

There is a huge demarcation up to and including 4.1BSD vs. anything
afterward.  DARPA created CSRG after 4.1BSD was released.  And 4.1 was
primarily the "FASTVAX" work vs. 4.0.  Remember, it was wnj's work to
demonstrate that UNIX was just as fast as VMS, which had been used to
convince DARPA to let the contract for "UNIX support" (creating CSRG) vs.
using an "officially supported" system from DEC directly which a number of
the contractors wanted.   Once CSRG started, two things changed at Berkeley
that had huge external ramifications:

   - The manner distributions [master tapes] were created.
   - How released SW was named.

While there are common people and some of the tech is the same, trying to
compare anything post 4.1BSD with the earlier system will be confusing if
not just lead to flawed conclusions -- not so much because of technical
differences [which start to get larger] but because of the processes and
procedures associated with the releases themselves and how they were
distributed.

BTW:  Research somewhat went through some of the same changes.  Basically,
V0-> V1 -> V2 -> V3 -> V4 is the state of Ken's system at the time, and the
"release" number is not (yet) very formal [Lou Katz talks about the RK05
that Ken copied for him for the first official released outside - V4 at
Columbia].   The key is that someone in research writes tapes [imaging your
RK05]. - but the early 'research releases' are ephemeral. Starting with V6,
Ken/Dennis masters a tape in research, and the IBM shop is imaging that for
people licensing the IP -- *i.e.,* everyone is getting the same bits on
their tape.  Although with V6, the famous "patch tape" leaks independently,
and with V7, the master tape that I believe srb originally created was
updated to add the "agenda" directory - so if you got one of the first
tapes [like I did], that directory is missing.

So remember that UCB uses a similar scheme for BSD, 2BSD, 3BSD, 4BSD, and
4.1BSD.   In fact, the standard scheme was you sent the ILO a blank tape,
and it was returned to you with the bits on it.    For the first two, we
have the contents of the development area on the Cory Hall machine. With
the 3/4/4.1 release, it is the contents from Ernie [as I recall, Bob
Kriddle or one of his minions was responsible for copying tapes for the
ILO].  But contents (i.e. the bits) change anytime the tapes are spun (they
were written in batches for the ILO -- who handled the
licensing/distribution).   BTW the other ILO distributions worked the same
way.   I would write any requested CAD tape every couple of weeks when they
asked me too.

But starting with CSRG, Sam set up a distribution area.   And the copies
sent out were just that.  Also, by then, if you asked for a copy, you were
paying UCB $1000 or so for the costs, but it included the tape (the
original BSD tape was either free with the self-stamped tape or very
nominal).    Also, remember 4.1A, 4.1B, and 4.1C were beta's or release
candidates -- they were not widely distributed like 4.1BSD had been.   4.2
was the first official release from CSRG. [Don't forget BBN had the
official DARPA network stack - and that was for 4.1].

Basically. the primary DARPA folks like BBN, MIT, Stanford, UCLA, CMU,
Utah, *etc*.. might have gotten a copy of 4.1A/B/C to give feedback.
That's why you see the socket interface change so dramatically between 4.1A
and 4.1C.    Simple 4.1A was Kirk's new file system and the first shot at
BSD's network stack [again remember UNIX has a TCP/IP stack already that
any DARPA contractor could get from BBN - but you had to have a BBN license
for it -- but that's a different story].   With 4.2 we see the wider world
get everything, and of course, the network stack and sockets interface
would start their spread from the UCB code base.

I hope this helps,
Clem
ᐧ
ᐧ

* [TUHS] Re: Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-17 21:56               ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-10-17 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Once again, I very much appreciate the background you're able to provide Clem! Looking at these sorts of differences in files on various archives is certainly deriving an incomplete picture, and this sort of history of the circumstances surrounding the ongoings of the time lend much reasoning to what otherwise looks a little opaque just stepping through code and documentation files.

Understanding the transition to a more formal distribution (i.e. snapshots of a development machine vs. intentionally packaged distributions) helps explain some of the discrepancies I'm seeing as I study documentation and what was available more. I feel there are lessons to be learned there that still apply today. I know thinking about that dichotomy is making me reconsider a few things about how my own team shares stuff around with other dev groups in our org. We're currently in the "I archive them a copy of whatever's sitting in source control" stage and am trying to get away from that. Hopefully whatever I land on doesn't also become a "never again!"

- Matt G.

@ 2023-10-18 12:12               ` Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 2023-10-18 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: segaloco, tuhs

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 4:12 PM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> There is a huge demarcation up to and including 4.1BSD vs. anything
> afterward.  .... (lots of great deal trimmed)

I remember being at small software company (mirror.tmc.com :) and we bought
a Vax750 and mtXinu came and supported 4.1c BSD on it (Ed Gould himself),
and then we got upgraded to 4.2 when it came out.  I remember waiting on
tenterhooks for the upgrade.  And having my mind blown when I typed in the
"network programming" exercises and found sockets a way for two unrelated
processes to communicate.

Unless my memory's wrong about the 4.1c/4.2 thing. I think we had an emacs
tape (CCA? Unipress? Not sure) that needed 4.2 and we just had to wait for
the supported version.

* [TUHS] Re: Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound
@ 2023-10-19 14:27           ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-10-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Gray; +Cc: tuhs