zsh-workers
* single manpage vs multiple files
@ 2003-02-27  3:41 William Park
From: William Park @ 2003-02-27  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

What is the reason for separating Zsh manpage into several files?  A
single manpage (ie. man zsh) would be easier, no?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>

* Re: single manpage vs multiple files
@ 2003-02-27  4:05 ` Jason Price
From: Jason Price @ 2003-02-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:41:29PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> What is the reason for separating Zsh manpage into several files?  A
> single manpage (ie. man zsh) would be easier, no?

Because it's enormous?  "Back in the day" of 2400 baud modems when I was in
college, doing a "man zsh | write <user>" was considered by some to be
funny (before people got clever and did things like 'cat /dev/kmem | od |
write....).

However, on all the installs I have around have a zshall man page that
people can get to if they really want.

Jason

* Re: single manpage vs multiple files
@ 2003-02-27  4:15 ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2003-02-27  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

In the last episode (Feb 26), William Park said:
> What is the reason for separating Zsh manpage into several files?  A
> single manpage (ie. man zsh) would be easier, no?

Hey, at least we're nowhere near as bad as perl!

  (dan.2) /home/dan> man perl<TAB>
  zsh: do you wish to see all 97 possibilities (25 lines)?

The only zsh manpage you really need is 'zshall', which is all the
little ones tacked together.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: single manpage vs multiple files
@ 2003-02-27  4:49   ` William Park
From: William Park @ 2003-02-27  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:05:14PM -0500, Jason Price wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:41:29PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > What is the reason for separating Zsh manpage into several files?  A
> > single manpage (ie. man zsh) would be easier, no?

> However, on all the installs I have around have a zshall man page that
> people can get to if they really want.

On my Zsh-4.0.1 and -4.0.6, 'zshall.1' and 'zsh.1' are the same.

--

@ 2003-02-27  7:37     ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2003-02-27  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

In the last episode (Feb 26), William Park said:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:05:14PM -0500, Jason Price wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:41:29PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > > What is the reason for separating Zsh manpage into several files?  A
> > > single manpage (ie. man zsh) would be easier, no?
>
> > However, on all the installs I have around have a zshall man page that
> > people can get to if they really want.
>
> On my Zsh-4.0.1 and -4.0.6, 'zshall.1' and 'zsh.1' are the same.

They're identical?  Or is it just that the .so entries in zshall.1
aren't expanding on your system for some reason?  This can happen if
your system gzips manpages; the FreeBSD port works around this by
running soelim on zshall.1 in the extracted source tree, and installing
the resulting output as zshall.1.gz.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com