* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-31 14:20 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-01-31 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, all of our stand alone systems have IDE drives.  We just don't
do that much writing to the disks, only log traffic, and the UPS's
make sure the system doesn't get shut off in surprising ways.  Our
auth server has been up since Dec 1, which is when I took it down to
put a new kernel on it.  I'm not pretending that kfs is robust, just
that it is sufficient in this situation, i.e, as a pretty much read
only fs.  I do use it for weeks at a time on my laptop when travelling,
but I've never used it as a real production system.  It was originally
cloned from a much older version of our file server code and though
we fix bugs when we experience them, we don't work it hard enough to
experience many of them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1767 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Some questions...
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:50:17 0900

>  While kfs isn't
>the most robust software, it's stable enough for something with a limited

Isn't your kfs residing on scsi HDD but not IDE?

I remind now that I had no such trouble on kfs when I met this new release
first time.  I compiled fileserver, auth server kernel on the machine with 48MB
ram using kfs local filesystem.  Only difference between that and present
notebook is that the notebook uses IDE disk, however, the machine last year
used scsi (sd53c8xx) local disk.  I may be wrong though, because I didn't use
kfs so efficiently at that time.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-30  4:33 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-01-30  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 30 12:33:45 JST 2004, Geoff Collyer wrote:
> Plan 9's scroll bars let one scroll a precise number of lines, forward
> or backward, or move to a relative position within the window.  I've
> liked this since I first encountered it on the Blit.

I totally agree wtih you about the behaviour of scroll bar in Plan 9.
Once the cursor is placed within the bar, you can go on back and forth
in precisely predictable amount *WITHOUT MOVING THE MOUSE AGAIN*.
This is my most favourite feature of Plan 9 scroll bar.

But still, I use wheel as often as scroll bar.  :)

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-30  3:16 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-01-30  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 30 12:11:40 JST 2004, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> In the same logic, we need horizontal scroll button. ?

Now that you mentioned it, I confess that I have desired
a track ball on the mouse instead of the wheel for a couple
of years.

It would be a horrible thing to you all. :)

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-30  3:04 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-01-30  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 30 11:46:44 JST 2004, boyd, rounin wrote:
> 1) to click you need to waste neruons on not scrolling

oh.  But in some mouse, you can use other buttons instead
of the wheel.  My MS Intellimouse has 4 buttons on it
beside the wheel.

What if there is a mouse with 3 buttons and a wheel on it?
The wheel is only for rolling and not used ever as a button.

> 2) there is a perfectly good interface to scroll (no wheel)

Sometimes, I am too lazy to move cursor to scroll bar.
I just roll the wheel instead.

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-30  2:36 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-01-30  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 30 00:35:39 JST 2004, boyd, rounin wrote:
> better.  damn, why don't they just use plain ol' buttons? :(

Just for my curiosity, why you guys regard the wheel
distasteful?

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-29 17:16 davide+p9
From: davide+p9 @ 2004-01-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The Sun type-6 mice aren't bad:

...except for not being optical (yet another
case of "What *were* they thinking over at
the SunMouse division?  Haven't they realized
that ball mice are 20th-century?").

I defenestrated mine on day 2 in favor of
a Compaq PS2/USB optical on sale at Radio
Shack.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-28 14:15 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-01-28 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anastas, 9fans

On Wed Jan 28 08:49:47 EST 2004, anastas@ceid.upatras.gr wrote:
> 1) How often is plan9.iso.bz2 regenerated(both binaries and iso image)?

Every morning at 4:45AM EST if the source tree has changed.

> 2) What is the status of libcontrol? I am not asking about stability but
> about its design. Are you satisfied with it or you lack ( time |
> resources | better ideas )* to build somesting else? Are there any plan9
> applications that make heavy use of it like EFIS
> (http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~sape/gos/plan9.ps)?

We use it for the factotum gui and for an audio juke box.

> 3) The first edition of the system contained a chess database chdb(7). Is
> the source still available?

Ask ken@entrisphere.com

* [9fans] Some questions
@ 2004-01-28 13:47 Anastasopoulos S
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Anastasopoulos S @ 2004-01-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I have three easy to answer questions

1) How often is plan9.iso.bz2 regenerated(both binaries and iso image)?

2) What is the status of libcontrol? I am not asking about stability but
about its design. Are you satisfied with it or you lack ( time |
resources | better ideas )* to build somesting else? Are there any plan9
applications that make heavy use of it like EFIS
(http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~sape/gos/plan9.ps)?
By the way was there a GUI for the blit terminal?

3) The first edition of the system contained a chess database chdb(7). Is
the source still available?

Thanks
Spyros

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-02-01 20:02 tad
From: tad @ 2001-02-01 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've got a CPU server running KFS that's been up since August:

http://vampira.csh.rit.edu

	vampira% ls -l '#c'
	--rw-rw-rw- c 0 bootes bootes  0 Aug 11 01:51 #c/authcheck

-Tad

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-31  3:50 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-31  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-30 19:21 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I'm enthused :)

it's worth it.

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-30 14:09 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-01-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have a number of CPU servers and file servers.  We run the auth server
on a kfs machine with a UPS.  That machine serves bootp/dhcp/tftp, authentication, and
consolefs.  It gives us a stable point in the network.  While kfs isn't
the most robust software, it's stable enough for something with a limited
function.  It gives us someplace to stand while repairing the world when
catastrophe strikes.  I also keep a copy of the the key files and kernels
and /lib/ndb on the file server so that we can rebuild the auth server
should it ever blow up.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1739 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:45:48 0900

>So I'm lead to wonder: Is it usually the case that the auth/CPU server is
>diskless? Or do you typically have an auth/bootp server with its own disk which
>is used to bring up the whole network?

I don't see any reason to have kfs (even if it'd be robust enough) in auth/cpu
server.  Furthermore, diskless auth server can make the system more stable,
if we could assume that one of the most weak points in the present day PS
hardware would be harddisk drive.  I suppose here we don't change file server
so often.  ^_^
Any other idea?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-30 14:01 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-30 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I really hope the bootargs method works; that'll make me very
>>happy....

bootargs=il -g GATEWAY-IP ether /net/ether0 IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK 0 FILESERVER-IP IP-ADDRESS

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-30  6:46 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>sans a DHCP server, how does a ``diskless'' machine figure out it's own
>IP address?

I hardcoded it into our auth/cpu server kernel.  :-)
I suppose some more elegant way must be there now, however,
I'm keeping the words that if you have no problem in something,
don't touch it.  ^_^

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-30  3:50 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-01-30  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You'd have to put the kernel on a floppy
disk and set fs= and auth= in plan9.ini.
It only consults the IP address entries when
ipconfig can't find them from DHCP.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-30  1:45 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-30  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-29 17:13 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-01-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in the past i've run a standalone auth/boot
server with a local (private) file system, as
some others do.

i didn't want to do that this time.
currently, at a suitable point in our /rc/bin/cpurc at work i do:

switch($sysname) {
case doppio
	ip/dhcpd
	ip/tftpd

	auth/keyfs -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
	aux/listen -q -d /rc/bin/service -t /rc/bin/service.auth il
	aux/listen -q -d /rc/bin/service -t /rc/bin/service.auth tcp
	auth/cron >>/sys/log/cron >[2=1] &
	sleep 3	# give auth a chance

case *
	aux/listen -q -d /rc/bin/service il
	aux/listen -q -d /rc/bin/service tcp
}

which starts authentication and booting services on only one server (doppio).
it shares the same file server as everything else.

* [9fans] Some questions...
@ 2001-01-29 16:52 Mike Acar
From: Mike Acar @ 2001-01-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So, after some interesting experiments and lots of digging through DejaNews
we've gotten a Plan 9 file and CPU/authentication server working. But I have
some questions regarding the normal network setup...

I installed a standalone CPU/auth server, following the instructions in the
Getting Started document. Then I built a plan9pc fs kernel, booted it on our
fileserver, configured the filesystems, mounted them on the CPU/auth server,
and used wrap/inst install the distribution on them.

At this point, though, I realized that people logging into the CPU/auth server
from terminals won't get the filesystems exported by the file server, but
instead the CPU/auth server's local disk. So I again followed the instructions
from the Getting Started document to get a CPU/auth server (i.e. enable the
authentication services, run them from the cpurc, configure /lib/ndb/local etc)
on the file server filesystem. Life is good now; terminals and the CPU/auth
server have the same root filesystem.

However, all CPU servers booted off this file server will also act as
authentication servers. This seems suboptimal, to say the least :)

So I'm lead to wonder: Is it usually the case that the auth/CPU server is
diskless? Or do you typically have an auth/bootp server with its own disk which
is used to bring up the whole network? The couple of network descriptions I've
found (Charles Forsyth's and Nigel Roles's), while pretty interesting, don't
really answer this question for me.

--
Brilliance and gorgeousness                        |   Mike Acar
And we tell ourselves we don't want the treasures  |   mike@trolltech.com