* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-06 17:37 Russ Cox
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-06 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there any plan to integrate some kind
> of ddc communication between monitors
> and vga cards in some near future?.

No.

> If not, why?.

Because there are no plans to go anywhere
near vga in the near future.  I actually rewrote
vga a couple years ago.  The new one is cleaner,
doesn't require anything in vgadb, makes it easy
to add switching back to text mode and other
video modes, and has DDC/EDID support (on
a card-by-card basis: each card lets you at the
DDC in a different way).  But it only supports three
cards.  Sad though it is, the current vga ``is neither
clean nor portable, but it has slowly come to terms
with its particular set of cranky devices.''
Basically, pushing the new vga out the door would
be a big time sink with little actual benefit.

Things work well enough that until there are more
pressing reasons, it's probably best to leave vga
alone.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-13 10:01 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-01-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One advantage (as I understood it) of using a specialized kernel
> was a form of security -- there were *no* user mode programs
> whose bugs could be exploited.

It went further than that: you couldn't even exploit a buffer overflow
to exec a shell, because there was no shell and no exec.

Would it be feasible, as part of bootstrapping a minimal fossil
server, to remove or otherwise disable the exec system call
once everything was running?

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 20:34 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-11-07 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ken left on his own 6 months ahead of the first incentive
(to leave) offer last year.  He wasn't downsized, though he
seems to have lost a bit of weight since.  If he'ld decided
to stay, he would have been safe till the heat death of the
company.  He left because he wasn't having fun any more and
wanted to do something different.

Lucent has been very protective of research despite the
`troubles'.  While the company shed over 2/3 of its employees,
our center is only about 15% smaller than its largest size.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2604 bytes --]

From: Jack Johnson <fragment@nas.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ddc
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:55:32 -0800

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> Lucent's woes has caused many researchers to leave.  Our lab is
> showing the strain and we've just been told that we're going to
> get hit with the next wave of firings.  In the last few years
> we've lost Ken Thompson, Phil Winterbottom, Sean Dorward, and
> just recently Sean Quinlan, and Rob Pike.

I knew things weren't peachy at the Labs, but I didn't realize they were
   abysmal.

Plus, what a great way to bolster investor confidence:

"Lucent Technologies:  We 'downsized' a National Medal of Technology
winner."

So if I win the lottery tonight, any idea of the going price for the
Computing Sciences Research Center?

(Maybe $1M in office space and gear, and another $1.5M per employee in
exchange for showing up at work when it suits them?  Bring your own
healthcare....)

-Jack

P.S.

I'd hire your glassblower, too.  I think he's one of five people in the
nation blowing custom glass for experiments.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 19:03 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-11-07 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The weird wording change was indeed someone trying to raise capital
with something that got stuck under plan 9.  It was an idiotic
(closing the barn door after the horses had bolted) move and
luckily the lawyers realized it as soon as we got someone with
some brains to look at it.  Comments from 9fans helped a lot
in getting people to review the change.  It did have the
advantage that it raised such a flap and embarassed enough
people that its not likely to happen again.

Lucent's woes has caused many researchers to leave.  Our lab is
showing the strain and we've just been told that we're going to
get hit with the next wave of firings.  In the last few years
we've lost Ken Thompson, Phil Winterbottom, Sean Dorward, and
just recently Sean Quinlan, and Rob Pike.

All the internal pressure at the moment is to create a more liberal
license and dump more stuff under the umbrella so that the people
leaving can continue their research elsewhere.  The back pressure
is just the usual unwillingness to make anything more liberal, the
cover your ass philosophy that most large orgs embrace.  That back
pressure continues to decrease mostly because the number of lawyers
is decreasing and those left have better things to do.

People afraid to use Plan 9 because of the current license are
certainly correct to do so, the IP clause is just too uncomfortable.
However, don't expect any changes for the worse.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2903 bytes --]

From: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: <hangar18-general@open-forge.org>, <hell@einstein.ssz.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:00:07 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Russ Cox wrote:

> > very list. I'm worried about R4 because that license looks like it may
> > prevent a core code split so we won't be able to use any of it, too bad.
>
> given that the license has gotten less restrictive since r3,
> you should feel free to go off and do your code split using r4.
> we did r4 with the same license we were using for r3
> at the time.

It isn't the wording per se, but the rather weird way it morphed a short
while ago. Demonstrates it's unstable and there is some sort of internal
conflict in Lucent. Given their financial situation it would not surprise
me if the lawyers decided it wouldn't be a nifty way to raise some going
out of business capital. Such a situation could create a very serious
situation for any user groups or indy developers who happen to jump on the
Plan 9 bandwagon.

I'm going to cover all my bases for the time being by trying to keep both
versions alive. As much of a pain that will be ;)

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 18:58 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-11-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you want applications, port X to run under rio - voila! most of the 13
thousand apps included on the Debian distro will be available instantly!
(including the 369 or so tetrisii, 17 dozen minesweeper clones, etc)

--Joel
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been
turned off.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 18:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-07 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm going to cover all my bases for the time being by trying to keep both
> versions alive. As much of a pain that will be ;)

if you're happy with the license as it is now,
why not use that source code and if the license
changes later, you can walk away and still use the code as it
stands now under the license as it stands now.

keeping the r3 code alive is just making more work
for yourself.  go ahead if you really want, but it's
pointless.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 16:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-07 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-07 16:28 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-07 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The way I see it, Russ has been more than reasonable in dealing with
you.  He doesn't HAVE TO do anything for "the community", especially
one that includes sociopaths like you.

Crawl back under the rock whence you came, please!

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Jim Choate opened his mouth again:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Russ Cox wrote:
>
>> keeping the r3 code alive is just making more work
>> for yourself.  go ahead if you really want, but it's
>> pointless.
>
> I feel so much better now that I have your permission.
>

>  --
>     ____________________________________________________________________
>
>     We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
>     we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
>                                                   jchoate@open-forge.org
>     Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org
>
>     --------------------------------------------------------------------

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07 10:59 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-11-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This sort of attitude does nothing but contribute to the failure of Plan 9
> which makes -ANY- contribution that one might make a waste.

Actually it was a genuine question, no tact, no insult intended.

I really wanted to understand where you are coming from.  It seems you
feel that Plan 9 has failed, and so ANYone contributing to it is
wasting effort.  Fair enough; I understand your position.

In that case, this applies to Russ as much as anyone.  You have just
had him contribute something when, not only was it against his better
judgement, but yours as well. So I'm searching for an understanding.

You must want the code, and this is supported by your 'thank you'
email.  So the code isn't entirely useless to you.  In that case,
contributing it to Plan 9, on the face of it, doesn't seem entirely
wasted.  I have to say that I find this slightly inconsistent, but
it's not the big issue for me. We'll move on to my original question.

If Plan 9 has failed (in your opinion), you don't want the code for
Plan 9.  You must want the code for something else, a different
operating system, to learn from, I don't know, it's not important.

In short, you feel it might have value, and therefore should be 'out
there' so that the community can judge its usefulness, irrespective of
the creator's opinion. Again, I understand your position here.

Right.  I'll rephrase my question, omitting Plan 9, in case that
is the sticking point.  It was

> Can I ask what Hangar 18 users have contributed to the
> Plan 9 code base?

It is now:

	Can I ask what code Hanger 18 users have contributed to the
	community?

And also:

	What code do the Hangar 18 users have that
	they haven't made available to the community yet? Remember,
	it's not for you to judge its usefulness.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-07  5:51 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-11-07  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Friends, please, no flaming on the 9fans list.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-06 23:27 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can ask. The answer is it's an irrelevant (and tactlessly
> confrontational) question. It isn't a pissing contest.

You forgot.  Tact sucks.

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-06 22:06 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-11-06 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-06 21:44 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-06 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Perhaps a more accurate response would have been:

	I have no plan, and to the best of my knowledge jmk
	has no plan, and since we're the two who have hacked
	on vga the most in recent years, you might well conclude
	that no one has any likely-to-be-executed plan to add
	DDC suport in the near future.

Saying things like that strikes me as overly pedantic, when
it should be taken as a given that I'm not speaking for any
collections of users anyway.

> Sigh, shouldn't the -user community- be making this decision...

The only decision I see in the post is about my deciding it wasn't
worth my time to work on vga further.  And I would argue that
I, not the -user community-, have every right to make decisions
about how I spend my time.

There's no policy anywhere.  The only decisions are about what
you do with your own time.  If you want to write or change
something, all the source is there.  Have at it.

> I can say that there is a significant contingent of Hangar 18 users
> who disagree with the assertion that the current VGA support is
> good enough.

That's fine.  Please, go ahead.  I would be more than happy
if the user community wrote more tools and did things like
this.  (Some have, and I am quite grateful.)  I agree that the
VGA support isn't good enough for many applications, but
_for me_, those applications aren't important enough to warrant
spending more time on vga.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-06 18:10 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but would it hurt to push your new vga code out? supposedly
> the benefit of open source is that someone else can do the
> work for you, however badly. if you're concerned with having
> to answer lots of stupid questions, that's a different issue :)

everyone keeps telling me that, but i'm just not convinced.
there's no magic here: if i put my unfinished programs
online, why is anyone else going to finish them for me?
i think open source projects get help from people on pieces
that they need (like a particular driver), but basic changes are
much less common.

anyway, /n/sources/contrib/v.  enjoy.

> anyway, hasn't the graphics world come to behave much the same
> way the CPU architecture world does? one graphics chip to rule
> them all? i just re-read 'systems software research is irrelevant'
> (http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/rob/utah2000.ps) and am under
> the impression that supporting the two major graphics card vendors
> suffices in 90% of the cases nowadays.

yeah, but those last 10% are 99% of the work.

* [9fans] ddc
@ 2002-11-06 17:25 paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-11-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there any plan to integrate some kind of ddc communication between monitors
and vga cards in some near future?. If not, why?.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* [9fans] EHLO EHLO
@ 2002-10-15  1:20 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-10-15  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Leesten vehry carefoolly, I veel say thees only wance...

Our smtp daemon wasn't recognizing the AUTH=<...> parameter
that crept into the the MAIL FROM command with ESMTP.  I changed
smtpd.y to cope and did an update.