* Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-05 20:44 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-02-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> " 'Even though some of us used to work on Mozilla, we have to admit that
> the Mozilla code is a gigantic, bloated mess, not to mention slow, and with
> an internal API so flamboyantly baroque that frankly we can't even
> comprehend where to begin. Also did we mention big and slow and
> incomprehensible?'".
>
> sounds nice, doesn't it? :) article here:

This remarkably frank statement describes the reasons for Apple's choice of khtml over Mozilla as the rendering engine for OSX's new web browser, Safari.

Apple has open-sourced its WebCore library, which includes their modified form of khtml, and a library that replaces khtml's calls to KDE and Qt libraries (presumably with Aqua calls).

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/index.html

http://www.apple.com/safari/

If anyone is serious about porting a graphical browser to Plan 9, this might be worth a look.

* [9fans] webbrowser
@ 2006-11-15 12:09 jackson john
From: jackson john @ 2006-11-15 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

em..is there a webbrowser for plan9 ?and how to make my pci soundcard
(soundblaster pci128)sound??

* Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-06 15:09 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2003-02-06 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i suppose it amounts to a Third Way--
make Inferno applications such as Charon fit in much better, or even at all,
on most hosted platforms--
and Plan 9 being the closest fit seemed a reasonable place to start.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1494 bytes --]

From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:21:46 -0500

Are you actually going to try to make a translation to C, or perhaps a free standing
Limbo compiler?

* Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-06 14:22 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2003-02-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>It seems like Charon
>>is still the best bet for now, though I do wish it were
>>easier to integrate with the rest of the Plan 9 environment.

that's our eventual aim.

* Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-06  0:56 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-06  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But installing curses and compiling a curses-based utility as an
> alternative to the above seems too expensive a path to follow.
> Others (masochists?) may differ.

By the way, I'm considering it may be neccessary...

After we wrote marsv, which is a case study of thread(2) and libcontrol(2)
of Plan 9, I feel that we didn't use the heart of Plan 9's benefit to it.
Next target, if I can have a time and students for it, will be to make
plumb and many small graphic programs co-operate.   For that purpose,
we will need a better user interface on acme with cursor addressing
and changing font etc. ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-05 22:57 C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2003-02-05 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd assumed the reason it was `unfortunate'
was that it was written in C++, not because it could not
therefore be compiled on Plan 9.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1715 bytes --]

From: "Skip Tavakkolian" <fst@centurytel.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:55:40 -0800

> Unfortunately ktml is written in C++.

You know that GCC has been ported and is available? Or am I missing
something?

[parent not found: <stalker@Math.Princeton.EDU>]
* [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-05  1:04 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-02-05  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski (mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca) wrote:
> plan 9 does not have cursor addressing...

vt(1)

--Joel
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of
the tunnel has been turned off.

* [9fans] Webbrowser
@ 2003-02-04 20:04 martin
From: martin @ 2003-02-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
in Linux I do use links
(http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/)
as my standard browser.
It does not seem to depend on huge libraries as the mozilla rendering
engine,
or kde but it does display images, tables and has some enough javascript
support (for mie).
Would it be usefull to port it to Plan 9?
I cannot estimate the time this would take.
Occasionally I use the browser "i" which was available with "9fs
sources", but
it crashes after 2 or 3 pages.
What would deserve more support -- the developement of "i" until it does
not crash anymore or the port of "links".
I do not think that I am experienced enough to begin that.

The only thing I programmed in Plan 9 so far is a very small vector
drawing program.
I will try to approximate lines, that I drew with a mouse (or with a
tablet in vmware).
In the future I will find some way to represent those with bezier
curver, b-spline or NURBS -- it should be as "sodipodi" but more usable
and much more portable.
I consider this project as solvable -- a whole web browser will probably
be much more complicated, probably I will never manage to write my own
portable web browser.