* [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-18  1:14 Terry Wendt
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-09-18  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After installing plan9 I managed to delete the plan9.ini file.  I also made
a mistake while installing, I chose to let plan9 have all the free space
remaining - about 25Gig.

This machine has winxp on the first partition and I'd like to install grub2
as a boot loader to choose between winxp, plan9, and a varying flavor of
linux or bsd.

Query 1: Will plan9 play nice with grub2?

Query 2: Can I "safely" use gparted on the plan9 partition and shrink it
down, or will it complain, vomit, and generally refuse to be budged?

Query 3: Should I just reinstall plan9, fixing the partition problem and
the plan9.ini problem?  I'll learn less that way, but then again I can
install 9atom instead...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Terry.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-18  5:42 ` Deepak Chawla
From: Deepak Chawla @ 2013-09-18  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

1. I have a similar setup.. grub multi-boot with Win7, Linux and Plan9.
Works great. I use the same way to boot Plan9 as I do to boot Win7
2. You'll need to resize the filesystem first, not sure which fs you have
(fossil?) and if you can resize it. If you can, resize the fs to smaller
than the desired partition size, then resize the partition, and then expand
the fs to fill the partition (new size)
3. If you can't find a way to resize the file system, reinstalling may be
the best bet.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Terry Wendt <silicon.penguin67@gmail.com>wrote:

> After installing plan9 I managed to delete the plan9.ini file.  I also
> made a mistake while installing, I chose to let plan9 have all the free
> space remaining - about 25Gig.
>
> This machine has winxp on the first partition and I'd like to install
> grub2 as a boot loader to choose between winxp, plan9, and a varying flavor
> of linux or bsd.
>
> Query 1: Will plan9 play nice with grub2?
>
> Query 2: Can I "safely" use gparted on the plan9 partition and shrink it
> down, or will it complain, vomit, and generally refuse to be budged?
>
> Query 3: Should I just reinstall plan9, fixing the partition problem and
> the plan9.ini problem?  I'll learn less that way, but then again I can
> install 9atom instead...
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-18  8:02   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-09-18  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Should I just reinstall plan9, fixing the partition problem and
> the plan9.ini problem?

Yes.  But set up the partitions first with a non-plan 9 tool.  The
current version of disk/fdisk (used in the installer) does not respect
boundaries of existing partitions.  If you allow it to edit the plan 9
partition, it is likely to rewrite the other partitions to align with
its notion of "cylinder" size.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-18  8:23     ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-09-18  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:02:04 +0100
Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> > Should I just reinstall plan9, fixing the partition problem and
> > the plan9.ini problem?
>
> Yes.  But set up the partitions first with a non-plan 9 tool.  The
> current version of disk/fdisk (used in the installer) does not respect
> boundaries of existing partitions.  If you allow it to edit the plan 9
> partition, it is likely to rewrite the other partitions to align with
> its notion of "cylinder" size.

Now when we are on topic. Does recent Plan9 (or any of the forks)
support GPT?

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-18 12:41       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-09-18 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now when we are on topic. Does recent Plan9 (or any of the forks)
> support GPT?

there's a start in 9atom, but it's not finished.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2013-09-19 14:02         ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-09-19 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sep 18, 2013, at 8:41, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

>> Now when we are on topic. Does recent Plan9 (or any of the forks)
>> support GPT?
>
> there's a start in 9atom, but it's not finished.
>
> - erik

I'm also working on it for 9front.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2007-12-07 14:33   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2007-12-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Yep. To ensure this I beleive there are still some Alphas around
>where plan9 is used to "keep the code honest" (i.e. to prevent
>x86-isms creaping in).

ARM and PowerPC are commonly used, including small embedded things
and several quite big machines.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2007-12-07 12:17 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-12-07 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am trying to make sure I understand the distributed nature of Plan
> 9.  There is no architecture restrictions for CPU servers, file
> servers and terminals correct. I mean that they don't have to have the
> same architecture, i.e. all x86s. I can mix and match the machines in
> anyway I see fit.

Yep. To ensure this I beleive there are still some Alphas around
where plan9 is used to "keep the code honest" (i.e. to prevent
x86-isms creaping in).

> Also, to port Plan 9 to a new system, the main thing that needs to be
> done is to create a compiler for that architecture. There is little
> system dependent code.

yes to this too.

The processor dependent code is mostly wrapped up in libmach
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/2/mach and a
thousand odd lines in the kernel startup.

getting your new kernel into RAM and device drivers for your
new platform may cause more headaches.

-Steve

* [9fans] Newbie questions
@ 2007-12-07  9:58 Bob
From: Bob @ 2007-12-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to make sure I understand the distributed nature of Plan
9.  There is no architecture restrictions for CPU servers, file
servers and terminals correct. I mean that they don't have to have the
same architecture, i.e. all x86s. I can mix and match the machines in
anyway I see fit.

Also, to port Plan 9 to a new system, the main thing that needs to be
done is to create a compiler for that architecture. There is little
system dependent code.

Please let me know if I am missing something

Thanks
Bob

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 18:07               ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2007-06-01 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/1/07, Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente <lorenzobivens@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Laurent Malvert <laurent.malvert@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/1/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > i find google to be a very good search engine for the wiki:
> >
> > sure, except that you cannot be sure that google indexed all the pages
> > you want, whereas with your own engine you can control that
> > completely.
> >
> > But yes, Google serves its purpose well and I use it for local site
> > searching once in a while... when I don't find what I want with the
> > site's own search feature.
> > It's a great 'general' tool, as a safeguard.
> >

> And as far as I know, it can be embedded on any website...

And ? I don't see the relation ?

Yes we could add the embedded google searchbar, it would still use the
same google site: feature.

I am talking about the way the pages are being indexed.
You can tell the google robot to skip some pages (like kris maglione
suggests for the diffs) or to not index files contained in a given
folder, for instance.
But you cannot do the opposite: force it to index specific pages of a website.

That's the point I was talking about: your own embedded search engine
indexes what you tell him to.

--
Laurent Malvert [laurent.malvert@gmail.com]
{EPITECH.} - EuroPean Institute of TECHnology

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 17:23           ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-06-01 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:46:02AM -0600, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> i find google to be a very good search engine for the wiki:

I agree, Google is a good search engine for nearly any site. I usually
use it in preference to the provided search engines. I have a gripe
about the Plan 9 wiki on Google, though: It often turns up diff and
history pages. They should have meta tags in the header to preven it:

--
Kris Maglione

Real programmers drink too much coffee so that they will
always seem tense and overworked.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 16:09             ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-06-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-06-01 16:06           ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2007-06-01 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-06-01 15:46         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i find google to be a very good search engine for the wiki:

http://www.google.com/search?q=plan9%20site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fplan9.bell-labs.com%2Fwiki%2Fplan9%2F

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 15:39       ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-06-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> for his defense... a wiki without any search engine feature, that's
> quite a pain to use when you are looking for something.

Yes, but there is a good list of articles... It works like an index.
Books, that usually don't have a search engine embedded, work quite
good with indexes.
(And that doesn't intend any hostillity, I mean an index is easy to use)

But... It would be very good to improve the wiki experience with a
search engine...

I am gonna put that idea on the queue..fifo!!! :D

Cheers!!

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 15:33     ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2007-06-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/1/07, Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente <lorenzobivens@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Very respectfully, I'd suggest you to read all the documentation
> available in the wiki. Your questions are fine, but they are already
> answered in the plan 9 wiki (With much more depth).
>
> [...]
>
> Please Chris, be respectful with this project.
>
> PD: I understand that at least you have googled your questions or you
> have looked into the wikipedia.... Well... In case you didn't find the
> Plan 9 wiki address, it is on http://9fans.net

for his defense... a wiki without any search engine feature, that's
quite a pain to use when you are looking for something.

Plan 9's is quite clear, simple and straightforward to read and
process, but it still would be nice to be able to look for a
particular topic / question.

--

@ 2007-06-01 15:25   ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-06-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

Very respectfully, I'd suggest you to read all the documentation
available in the wiki. Your questions are fine, but they are already
answered in the plan 9 wiki (With much more depth).

Plan 9 actually runs on one of the most powerful computers in the
world. Ancient? Never.

Plan 9 is a misunderstood progressist.

Please Chris, be respectful with this project.

PD: I understand that at least you have googled your questions or you
have looked into the wikipedia.... Well... In case you didn't find the
Plan 9 wiki address, it is on http://9fans.net
PPD: You can also read a copy of this mail-list messages on
groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9

On 6/1/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > I know all these questions seem a bit crazy for an ancient system
> > thats hasn't really caught on with the general whole computer
> > world....and its only being used as an OS research platform for the
> > computer science researchers....but it would be cool to have such an
> > unknown system to work.
>
> it's interesting that you call plan 9 an ancient system.  what are you
> comparing it to?  unix is almost twenty years older than plan 9.
> i'm not sure why age is a metric for evaluating operating systems.
>
> plan 9 is not just a research operating system; products based on it
> ship every day.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01 11:17 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-01 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-06-01 10:40 ` cej
From: cej @ 2007-06-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Chris,

> 1.)Is Plan 9 still under development?? like are the drivers still
being updated and everything??
	yep!!
>2.)Is there a fully featured web broswer for plan 9 like fire fox
	almost: try 'abaco' [ found on /n/sources ], links, mothra, i
	but none of them's 'fully-featured' --- theyre mainly html browsers, forget of java | javascript | VB ... and other crap. What the hell is then HTML if it must be patched with these  ??
you'd better to connect to another machine from plan 9 , and run a browser there  --- maybe ask google to do it ;-)))
> 3.)How do you port unix software to plan 9, is it possible??
	yep! i've ported 80+ programs, either using APE, or natively (mainly libs). No problem at all if the code is not outraged too much. Rwemember that i'm not a programmer, just a biologist. Learning curve was moderately steep in that time i converted. Nowadays it's much easier. just forget all you know from win/mac/lunix/...
> 4.)Are there any window mangers alternative to Rio, or (older)8-1/2 ??
	what's bad with rio?? well, i personally don't like menus, if U2, use acme instead || call acme from rio. it's great: ui & editor in one.
> 5.)Can you play media files like movies and all??
	convert to mpeg (or ogg) and search /n/sources for a player. i'm happy with mpeg.
> 6.)Why is X window not reccommeded on plan 9?
	too heavy, IMHO.

> Thanks
> Chris

Welcome aboard,
++pac.

PS.: don't hesutate to contactme directly, I'LL HELP IF I CAN.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01  9:06 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-01  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

> 1. How do you port unix software to Plan 9, or is that not possible?

two ways, modifying the source app to be plan9 compatible, or use ape.

> 2. Is the development of this system is still going? Drivers being
> updated...etc.etc...or is the project dead..and is left for the
> community to do it for them selves like the BeOS

there is development going on by the community, some get paid to work
directly on plan9, others not.

> 3. Is there a fully Featured web broswer - eg firefox?? available...or
> is it just really basic text browsers

no

> 4. Can this system play media files...like .avi...divx....

there are attempts to build xvid and ffmpeg, i saw xvid working

> 5. There is gcc for plan 9 right??

Plan9 already have great compilers, so leave gcc in lunix better. (and
if you can)

> I know all these questions seem a bit crazy for an ancient system
> thats hasn't really caught on with the general whole computer
> world....and its only being used as an OS research platform for the
> computer science researchers....but it would be cool to have such an
> unknown system to work...it just makes you kinda special..everyone
> will be using linux bsd, windows or mac...and I'll be like....I'm a
> plan 9 user...lol....bet I'll get stared at! most of the will say
> "WHAT THE HECK IS PLAN 9"

it's a reason like any other, but you will end in nothing following that path.

gabi

* [9fans] Newbie Questions
@ 2007-06-01  8:44 chutsu
From: chutsu @ 2007-06-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi
Complete Newbie....was wondering if you guys could answer my questions

From: chutsu @ 2007-06-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi
Pretty new to this plan 9 OS...have absolutely no experience. Here are
my questions

[...]

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-09 15:36   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-02-09 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Michael Collins wrote:
> Holding Shift doesn't work on the one I tried so far.

Well, it can't, because the mouse doesn't look at the keyboard.
What did look at the keyboard was the real-mode mouse driver
software installed on MS-DOS.
On this note, notice that increasingly often, keyboards, mice,
etc. that one buys in stores like Best Buy are designed with
the assumption that one is going to use them with Windows, so
they include all sorts of features that DO NOT WORK under other
OSes.  Be forewarned.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-09  9:40 ` Michael Collins
From: Michael Collins @ 2001-02-09  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	That is right.  I will try it.  That is mentioned in the Linux 3-Button
mouse Howto.  It also shows how to solder them.

--
Michael H. Collins	http://www.linuxlink.com
Admiral			Penguinista Navy International

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-08 22:21 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-02-08 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-08 19:29 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-02-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//How do I open the postscript file?

use page(1) to view postscript files, as
well as several other common formats.

//For fun, How do I put a jpg on the rio?

if you're looking to view a jpeg within rio,
again, see page(1). if, however, you're
looking to put a jpeg on the grey background
i think you're just out of luck.

//How can I go to plan9 website and get stuff
//directly from it?... ...hget doesn't seem
//like an answer.

what about hget seems wrong? from what i think
you're asking, hget (with -o) sounds like the
tool for the job, and is what i use regularly.

//Anyway to fix these wayward 3 button serial mice?

if the mice are actually the problem, you'll
have to break out a soldering iron, or they may
be just beyond hope. Plan 9 has no magic to fix
busted hardware. that being said, you can use
shift+button3 to emulate button 2. it's not
nearly as nice as the real thing (especially
the chording in Acme), but it works.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-08  9:42 ` Michael Collins
From: Michael Collins @ 2001-02-08  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Darn.  I have three bum mice. button 2 does not work.I have upgraded
the wiki and am rarin to go.  Can I use commands and <enter> ? Doesn't
seem so.  Anyway to fix these wayward 3 button serial mice?

How do I open the postscript file?

that ftpfs is nice.  Took me a while to understand that the directory
was mounted locally.  cp did the trick.  Too simple.

How can I go to plan9 website and get stuff directly from it?  I got the
wiki upgrade onto a local box using a browser and ftpfs'ed it from
there.  hget doesn't seem like an answer.

For fun, How do I put a jpg on the rio?

Thanks more.

Do I need any of the updates if I just downloaded a week ago?

From: Michael Collins @ 2001-02-08  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Yes,  Thanks.

--

@ 2001-02-07 21:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-07 19:05 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-07 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, mhtexcollins

	Is the little syslog thingie just "con" with the proper flags?

I might not understand the question.  Syslog(2) is a function
call that writes to /sys/log/logname directly; it doesn't use
the Unix syslog service in any form.

	I have been to the wiki.  How does one access it from a plan9 box.

To access the wiki within acme, you need to
install the wiki update from the updates page,
and then open /acme/wiki/guide; it contains
helpful things to execute.

	I know,  man acme.  But it seems the most complicated
	of all the man pages. Just a few small tips.
	Like how to get a file into acme without closing and restarting it.

@ 2001-02-07 18:13 ` mike
From: mike @ 2001-02-07 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc; +Cc: 9fans, mhtexcollins

Sorry for the wrong nomenclature.  During install there is a little box with moving graphs showing progress of the install and file activity.  I want that on my regular desktop.

Thanks again.

@ 2001-02-07 18:12 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-07 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It was more "can't" than "don't want".

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2104 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:13:07 +0200

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:46:45AM +0000, Michael Collins wrote:

> Why don't ether packets show in the sysload graph or do they mostly,
> just not here.  Is it possible to have that graph on my desktop and if
> so, how?

OK, so neither Nigel nor Russ seem to want to answer this one :-)

The reason the sysload graph doesn't reflect packets is because it
is activated early, before the ethernet card is activated.  The
graph's namespace does not include an active view of the network
devices.  Took me a little while to puzzle that one out :-(

Start it later, and the packets will show up.  Ask Russ how to
start it, I can't remember :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-07 17:53 ` mike
From: mike @ 2001-02-07 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc; +Cc: 9fans, mhtexcollins

   From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
#	   I am having some fun, but I have some very basic questions that ar#e
#	   prolly documented somewhere.  Feel free to point me at em.  I am #hoping
#	   to put together some newbie HOWTOs or something.

 #  Please do; see http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9

I have been to the wiki.  How does one access it from a plan9 box.

#   Why don't ether packets show in the sysload graph or do they mostly,
#   just not here.  Is it possible to have that graph on my desktop and if
#   so, how?

Is the little syslog thingie just "con" with the proper flags?

#	   Why doesn't <ctl> d work all the time?  I always have to delete a# ping
#	   and some others in a rc.

#   Nigel answered this briefly; if the program is reading standard
#   input then ctl-d marks end-of-file.  Programs that don't prompt
#   for input don't care about ctl-d.  On the other hand, delete is like
#   ctl-c in Windows/Linux.  It sends an interrupt to the program.

OK.  I have been doing that right.

#	   Is there some tests for my keyboard and mouse to make sure they w#ork

#	   corectly?  (I suspect that is why acme doesn't work properly.)

#   What's there to test?  What's not working properly?
#   We have occasional mouse problems; keyboard problems
#   are not as common.

    It was the mouse.  Button #2 was not working.  I am happily using acme now. I got worried about keyboards from the large "French keyboard" thread.

#	   How does everyone else partition the drive and why?

#   I partition the drive the way disk/fdisk -a suggests:
#   you need a little space for the 9fat boot partition, perhaps
#   some space for swap, and the rest can go to the file system.

So, no "Data" partitions for isos and backups and things?
Or a seperate partition for /usr for upgrades or reinstalls?

Thanks

PS  "If you're using Acme, just edit the text and Put the
document back."

Help on how to get this would be great. I know how to put.  I would then feel like I am getting some work done in Plan9.

I know,  man acme.  But it seems the most complicated of all the man pages. Just a few small tips.  Like how to get a file into acme without closing and restarting it.  I assume I need to do that to get to the wiki.  Or do I just start acme pointing at the wiki?

Thanks again.

#   Russ

--

@ 2001-02-07 17:21 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-07 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	The reason the sysload graph doesn't reflect packets is because it
	is activated early, before the ethernet card is activated.  The
	graph's namespace does not include an active view of the network
	devices.  Took me a little while to puzzle that one out :-(

Aha.  Didn't realize that was the question.
It's not namespace but rather that the stats
file doesn't exist until a connection has been
established.

Look in stats.c:/^initmach:
	snprint(buf, sizeof buf, "%s/net/ether0/0/stats", mpt);
	m->etherfd = open(buf, OREAD);

before these two lines add
	/* open ether0/clone so ether0/0 exists */
	snprint(buf, sizeof buf, "%s/net/ether0/clone", mpt);
	close(open(buf, OREAD));

and you won't have the problem anymore.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-07 17:13 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-02-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-07 17:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, mhtexcollins

	I am having some fun, but I have some ery basic questions that are

@ 2001-02-07 10:08 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-07 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<ctl> d is end of file
Del is interrupt

Therefore, to stop a ping hit Del, not <ctl> d.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2175 bytes --]

From: Michael Collins <mhtexcollins@austin.rr.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Newbie questions.
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:46:45 GMT

	I am having some fun, but I have some ery basic questions that are
prolly documented somewhere.  Feel free to point me at em.  I am hoping
to put together some newbie HOWTOs or something.

Why don't ether packets show in the sysload graph or do they mostly,
just not here.  Is it possible to have that graph on my desktop and if
so, how?

Why doesn't <ctl> d work all the time?  I always have to delete a ping
and some others in a rc.

Is there some tests for my keyboard and mouse to make sure they work
corectly?  (I suspect that is why acme doesn't work properly.)

How does everyone else partition the drive and why?

Thanks ahead

--
Michael H. Collins	http://www.linuxlink.com
Admiral			Penguinista Navy International
This ain't California	http://www.geekaustin.org
Ask me about Plan 9     http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/

* [9fans] Newbie questions.
@ 2001-02-07  9:46 Michael Collins