* [9fans] Why not work for a company based on Plan 9?
@ 2010-10-25 14:15 Brantley Coile
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2010-10-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi guys,

as most on this list know, coraid makes storage devices that use plan 9 as the software platform.  we also use it as our primary development environment.  we still run a ken file server here.  plan 9 is fundamental to our vision.  coraid has become a hot silicon valley property and we are about to start another round of hiring developers.  i knew it would be a disservice to this mailing list if i didn't make an announcement here.

developers, qa, and support folks can work either in redwood city, ca or athens, ga.  there are the usual up and coming silicon valley startup stock options.  and in athens, you don't have to pay those silicon valley prices for housing and beer.  athens is very affordable on both these counts, especially the beer as anyone who attended the 2009 iwp9 will attest.

i hope we're creating a place that i would have wanted to work.  it's not every place that you can work with plan 9, get paid for it and participate in a high potential start-up.

please send resume's to me.

brantley

* Re: [9fans] Why not work for a company based on Plan 9?
@ 2010-10-25 15:17 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-10-25 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley,

I'm asking publicly because I'm betting it's a FAQ.  Do you consider remote
employees as a possibility, or do you require relocation?

Dave

@ 2010-10-25 15:24   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2010-10-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the positions are in redwood city, ca and athens, ga.

@ 2010-10-25 15:30     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-10-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's actually not an answer but whatever... I guess I don't actually care.

@ 2010-10-25 15:41       ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2010-10-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm sorry.  those who are not in silicon valley or northeast georgia will have to relocate.

@ 2010-10-25 15:55         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-10-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you for answering the question.  Let me explain my point of view on
the exchange.

I worked for a company in Birmingham AL for about 6 years from Seattle.  I
had Birmingham insurance, Birmingham HR people etc, but I was remote.  I
thought perhaps it was not clear if one could be a satellite employee for
one of those offices or not.

I felt that when you basically cut and pasted your response to me, that you
were irritated by my question and answering me in a rude way.  I was not
trying to troll the thread, but now it may appear to be the opposite.

I have a lot of respect for what you guys have done with Plan 9 and AOE, and
think it's an interesting business, but suddenly I felt that perhaps I
wouldn't have a compatible personality with the boss.

Anyway, I'd like to reboot the discussion, but it's in the archives now :-).

I do wish you, very sincerely, to have continued success with your business.

Dave

@ 2010-10-25 17:25           ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2010-10-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

dave,

no problem.  i didn't cut and paste the answer, but i'm very sorry that i gave that impression.  i'm a pretty easygoing guy, a fact that isn't obvious over an email list.  i wasn't irritated by the question at all.  the question was a very good one.

the reason we can't do remote employees is that one of our objectives is that plan9ers have a positive cultural influence on the entire development group.  i feel such an influence requires daily interaction.  but we will keep you in mind as we grow.

in all my interactions i try to emulate the gentlemanly ways of dennis ritchie.
brantley

@ 2010-10-25 17:38             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-10-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley,

I apologize for my confrontational attitude.  It's totally unnecessary, and
I wish that I could take it all back.

You certainly didn't deserve it, and the 9fans aren't deserving the noise
I've caused by my stupid approach to this thread.

Dave

@ 2010-10-25 17:58               ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2010-10-25 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave,

The way I see this is two reasonable people working a misunderstanding out.
There are many contemporary examples of endless mud-slinging with no real
concern for solving problems or coming to a reasonable conclusion.

Regards,

-joe

@ 2010-10-25 18:18                 ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-10-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-10-25 18:21                   ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-10-25 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry.  I really need to throw away this **** mobile phone and NOT
accidentally hit send in gmail basic.

@ 2010-10-26  9:14 ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2010-10-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brantley; +Cc: 9fans

Hello,

another one which might be a FAQ:
Do you require applicants to be from the USA, or are you ok with ppl
from the old continent (or anywhere else for that matter) ?

Cheers,
Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5460 bytes --]

From: Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] Why not work for a company based on Plan 9?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:15:11 -0400

@ 2010-11-13 18:51         ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-11-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:

Hi,

> i'm sorry.  those who are not in silicon valley or northeast georgia will have to relocate.

That would be the primary blocker for me, as I don't want to
leave my home country :(

Could you perhaps imagine giving certain projects to contractors
in a foreign country ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] Why not work for a company based on Plan 9?
@ 2010-11-26  4:10 ` Peter Penzin
From: Peter Penzin @ 2010-11-26  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, Brantley,

Do you have internships for MS students? I'm in Portland, OR now and i
can't move anywhere until summer, because i'm a full-time student.

Cheers

-Peter