* [9fans] Acme: spaces in file names
@ 2013-12-11 18:17 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

Just started using acme (and sam).  Cool.

I am using acme on a Mac form plan9port.

Within a file list one can right-click a listing in order to decend into
another directory or load a file.  The problem is that neither work if a
space is contained within the name.  Apparently, the right-click
functionality only looks at non-white space strings.  An easy fix to this
would be to allow the user to highlight the entire string (including
spaces) and then right-click as normal.  The system would allow the
highlight facility to override the "just test for contigous non-space
string" current functionality.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Blake McBride

* Re: [9fans] Acme: spaces in file names
@ 2013-12-12 16:53 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2013-12-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Someone once made a little filesystem that would substitute spaces in
filenames with a different character. When placed between the normal fs and
Acme, this would make things work quite nicely.

If I remember correctly, Acme-SAC (built on top of Inferno) does that by
default.

No idea where you can find such a fs for Mac though. But this might give
you a start.

Robby

@ 2013-12-12 17:00   ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-12-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A kind of crude workaround is using the whole /Users/whatever/file with
spaces, selecting it with first button and 1-2 chording it to Get. This
works on Mac, problem is that it's quite horrible to do. An intermediate
solution may be to use some piping rule like sp:filename with spaces, but I
don't remember if piping works with right-button and selected text or
follows the same rules as opening a file.

Ruben

@ 2013-12-12 21:10     ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

When you button-2-click on text acme executes the word.  If you want to
execute something larger with spaces, you highlight the whole thing and
then button-2-click on it to execute the whole thing.

When you button-3-click on text in a file list buffer acme loads the file
with that name.  I should be able to highlight a file name with spaces and
then button-3-click on it to load the file.  This would be totally
consistent.

It there a reason this hasn't been done?

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2013-12-15 15:25       ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Discovering button-3-drag, is there a reason button-3-drag could not be
made to load a file or directory with spaces in it?  In other words, would
this conflict with some other intended operation?

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2013-12-15 15:38         ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2013-12-15 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think the reason is that filenames with spaces are not very common in
Plan 9.
If you're running plumber, you can probably adjust the regular
exressions for file matching in your $HOME/lib/plumbing file.

If you don't have that file yet:
9p read plumb/rules >$HOME/lib/plumbing

~Fritz

@ 2013-12-15 16:19           ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Blake-Mac-17:tmp blake$ 9p read plumb/rules
9p: mount: dial unix!/tmp/ns.blake._tmp_launch-nvfpC3_org.x:0/plumb:
connect /tmp/ns.blake._tmp_launch-nvfpC3_org.x:0/plumb: No such file

I don't have to do this when I search for text with spaces, or to execute a
command with spaces.  Not being able to load files or directories with
spaces is, and I mean this in the most respectfull way, short sighted and
inconsistent IMO.  As long as a fix doesn't limit some existing
functionality, I think it should be corrected.  I am qualified to make such
a correction but, not being familiar with the code, I estimate it would
take me a whole day to do.  I'd bet it would take someone famaliar with the
code an hour.  My time, like all of yours, is very limited.  I will make
the change when my time permits.  My hope is that someone more familiar
with the code can make it before then.

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2013-12-15 16:26             ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2013-12-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

To use the plumber, you have to start it first. Then you can configure
all the Button-3 behavior you want. No need to change the hard coded
backup behavior.

@ 2013-12-15 16:38               ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me the specifics on this.

Thanks!

Blake

@ 2013-12-15 17:51                 ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2013-12-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

To run the plumber, type
plumber &

then you can copy the rules file to $HOME/lib/plumbing and modify it as
you wish. The next time you start the plumber (or when you write the
modified file back via 9p), it will load that config file and hopefully
behave as you planned.

Okay, now what's the plumber? There are two kinds of Buttor-3 actions in
acme:
1) if you use button 3 on things like file names, addresses, etc. it
does some special action
2) otherwise, search text

The plumber (when running) is there to find out, if there is a special
action to perform, and then do it. Read the paper "Plumbing and other
utilities" to get more details.

~Fritz

@ 2013-12-15 17:56                   ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks!  That is very helpful.

@ 2013-12-15 19:39                     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2013-12-15 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

with the plumber running, issuing "B /anyfile" will open the file in
acme, even if acme isn't running. this is very useful when you start
scripting little tools.

i think this covers everything about acme :)

* Re: [9fans] Acme: spaces in file names
@ 2014-08-19 20:37                       ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2014-08-19 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

B 'some directory name with spaces'

does load the directory correctly.  But as soon as you put the cursor into
the directory acme changes the buffer header from "some directory name with
spaces" to "some".  Not supporting space in file/directory names has been
the single biggest impediment to my use of acme.

I noticed Wily doesn't have this problem.  Of course it is missing win,
Edit, Tab, etc....

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2014-08-20  9:03                         ` Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-08-20  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Perhaps making the tagline a special case where acme will read from the
left to the bar | and use that for the file/directory name.

You would still have to chord it elsewhere but it might fix the most
annoying issue (inability to one click put etc)

Thoughts?

@ 2014-08-20 18:00                           ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2014-08-20 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the suggestion.  I really wish acme were just fixed.  I find
acme a beautiful editor.  A small number of issues render the editor too
much of a hassle to use for me.  It is a shame because I really like it.
 It is clean, simple, easy to learn, and powerful.

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2014-08-21 15:32                             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-08-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)