* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:11 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There is the Ada Web Server, which should be trivial to get working on
> Plan9 once we have an Ada compiler which will target the Plan9 platform.

Yeah, the headlines could read:

	Plan 9 Targetted By Military

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-11 16:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-11-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a trade off between the efficiency of the code and
the speed of the compiler.  Ken went for the latter with
some concessions to the former.  It made sense for us since
we spend most of our time writing code and are somewhat sensitive
to the speed of building.  It also makes it possible to build for
all architectures everytime without really worrying about the time
it takes.  Since we still regularly use multiple architectures,
'mk installall' is the thing I type most whenever I've changed
code.

I wouldn't put GCC at the other end of the spectrum; SUIF owns
that extremity.

However, this shouldn't be held up as a reason for not producing
compilers with better code generation.  There's plenty of room
in the Plan 9 world for a better/more feature rich compiler.
Perhaps dhog will massage GCC enough to make it fill that space.
More likely something else will come along.

The only thing I ask is that the code that comes out correctly
reflects the C that went in.  The rest, to a lesser or greater
extent, is just icing on the cake.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-10 10:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-10 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

so does lcc, if you're looking for something off Plan 9 that's small,
cleanly written, and portable.  you'll still need to sort out
the assembly and linking phases though.

there, you see: it needn't run on plan 9 for
some of us to like it, it must only be well done.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2020 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:26:24 -0500

> There's been a lot of noise about how GCC might be more ugly, or
> poorly constructed, or such.

Translation: some people here have opinions that differ from yours.

> I'm asking whether amidst all that noise
> anyone has bothered to see whether it actually performs its job better
> or worse.  It does seem to me to be an important question in
> evaluating tools which one is actually better at the principal job the
> tool is designed to perform.

GCC is painfully slow.  I really don't care if it produces an executable
that's 5% faster, if you're working in a compile-execute-debug-rewrite
cycle, you want that compile step to complete in a reasonable time.
Plan 9's compiler beats GCC hands down on this one.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:54 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you take Nt and XP, and remove the last and first letters of
> those names (respectively), you end up with NP.  Hmm, coincidence?
> I think not.

I keep telling everybody that XP is Chi-Rho, but nobody listens...

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:46 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But it's not free software, so I won't.  And there are *many* people
> who share the same ideals.  Those people contribute to systems like
> the GNU/Linux distributions and the various *BSD systems.

And the result is so free, it's largely Design Unencumbered.  <ducks>

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:37 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Let's get off the hobbyhorse of criticising all the alternative
> platforms and actually co-operate with them or show that the Plan
> 9 way is as superior as we make it out to be.

Let's write some code.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:26 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-09 14:01 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sometimes the plan 9 compilers do things that gcc doesn't, partly
because adherence to an often elaborate ABI isn't required.  certainly
that's true on the PowerPC and i think it's also true on the ARM. i'd
say from inspection of gcc and experience of 5?  that the 5l linker
for ARM has an easier time sorting out literal pools and ARM/Thumb
linkage than the gcc system, partly because it's working with an
abstract object program as input, not the encoded instruction forms.
we can then convert the resulting executable into a form that other
systems like.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2747 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:43:52 -0600 (CST)

plan9's compilers generate code with comparably equal performance to gcc
2.9.5

no, the code is not faster, no, the code is not noticeably slower for jobs
that do not require 5 days to complete (image rendering is what I have
tested -- povray on identical hardware).

that much I can say.

andrey

@ 2001-11-09 13:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry, i wasn't clear.  i meant that you'd need to change the gnat code generator
to generate a different representation, not that you'd need another
code generator working from the RTL.  as you say, gcc's RTL
is machine-specific.

by `if gnat is structured so as to allow another ... in principle',
i meant, it has some internal representation of the Ada program that
is at or near a useful level for code generation, before it produces RTL.
if it is producing RTL directly from a basic parse tree,
you'll have your work cut out.

i don't remember dewar's description of gnat's structure,
except that it converts its internal representation of Ada
to RTL at some point, so i don't know the answer
and i can't be much more specific without looking
at Gnat's code (which i've also seen but forgotten as regards this point).
it was a good five years ago and i was curious
rather than interested.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2368 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:17:07 GMT

forsyth@vitanuova.com writes:

> the gnat code generator doesn't generate code
> directly (or it didn't), it generates the gcc internal representation,
> so it's a non-trivial modification, even if gnat is structured
> so as to allow another code generator in principle.

The "gcc internal representation" (RTL) is not something a different
code generator could work with.  The definition of "valid RTL" is
entirely machine-specific and so forth.  When a GCC front-end begins
writing RTL, it is tightly coupled with the back-end.  (Indeed, it
generates RTL mostly by asking the back-end to spit out RTL for
various operations.)

The value of RTL in GCC is not to firmly decouple the front end from
the back end, but rather to decouple optimizations from the back end.

Thomas

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09  7:41 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-11-09  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You think Windows runs in polynomial time?

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08 18:03 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-11-08 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// Well, let's see if we can agree: XML, GCC, X, C++, JAVA, Perl, off
// the cuff, have all drawn criticism on this list.

true. but i don't see that as a bad thing. what _would_ be bad would
be if Plan 9 did _not_ recieve criticism on this list, or if such criticism
was not listened to or addressed. i believe it is. all these things - your
list and Plan 9 - have problems, and we can only correct them by
addressing them.

// None of the criticism has addressed the social need, as you so
// eloquently explain in your example, to support these entities in
// some fashion or provide alternatives,

i'm not sure that's true. i agree there hasn't been much, if any, talk
about how to support XML or X. but there's been talk of and work on
importing GCC (thus C++) and Perl. further, note your own trailing
clause: "or provide alternatives." so we don't have X, and nobody's
working on getting it. why? because we've got an alternative we like
better, and nobody's shown reason to like X better. there's been a
little talk of getting Java going, but not much, because i think most
people who'd be interested in what it offers on this list consider us
to have an alternative we prefer: Limbo.

i think maybe there's a missing catagory in the discussion here:
interoperability tools. VNC is a great example, i think. what VNC
does for graphics is most definatly _not_ the Plan 9 graphics
model, but it's a very useful tool for talking to a diverse range of
systems. and we've got a vnc viewer. i think that suggests we (as a
community) do look at things from other places, and make the
cost/gain decision i keep harping on. there _are_ things of value
that come from other places, but getting them running locally has
some cost associated with it. each case is a seperate decision.

that being said, not everyone has to come to the _same_ conclusion
when such decisions are made. don't think the correct call was made
in ignoring a local X server? maybe you're right (i still consider that);
go do it. think a Java VM would give you things better than Inferno?
cool, import or build one. think Perl, or Python, or Ada is a good
development language/tool? wonderful, we eagerly anticipate your
results. i really think we do.

i don't think anyone'd be "mad" at you for importing X, or GCC, or
whatever. people might suggest it wasn't the best use of your time,
but that's their decision to make. luckily, you get to determine what
you do with your time, not they.

maybe we do get overly critical from time to time. maybe we do get
too set in our ways. but i still hold that to be the exception here, not
the rule. and i think we do okay at avoiding it.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08 15:09 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-08 15:06 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if it's that superior(!), perhaps it doesn't think much of your laptop.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1924 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:39:32 GMT

lucio@proxima.alt.za (Lucio De Re) writes:

> Let's get off the hobbyhorse of criticising all the alternative
> platforms and actually co-operate with them or show that the Plan
> 9 way is as superior as we make it out to be.

And hey, if it's that superior, it would run on my laptop, right? :)

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08 15:00 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-11-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The lack of a browser pretty much makes it useless
for most peoples' laptops.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1757 bytes --]

From: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb+usenet@becket.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:39:32 GMT

@ 2001-11-08 12:49 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-11-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But it's not free software...

Yes it is.  It really is.  When I see people say this, which I do from time
to time, it makes me sad for many reasons.  The parallel with religions,
with the Catholic schism, with the fissiparous history of the Protestant
church, is so obvious it's almost embarrassing to point out.  But I must.

The `free' software people have won, but they're so intent on having
everyone agree with their fundamentalist and faith-based definition
of `free' that they label many of their allies as enemies.  It's painful to
watch.  It hurts.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08 12:30 bwc
From: bwc @ 2001-11-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Has anyone compared the efficiency of the code produced by GCC and the
> Plan 9 compiler?

I recently re-read Jim Gray's paper `The 5-minute Rule.'  It's interesting
to note that when he wrote the paper (1985) a meg of memory was $5K and a MIP
was $50K.  Now, by my calulations, a meg is about $0.50 and a mip is about
$0.30.

The economics of CS used to be:
	1) correctness of programs
	2) time efficiency
	3) space efficiency

Considering the changes in speed and memory, I assert that for all but
the most demanding case, only 1) is still a limited resource.

What do these economics say about optimizing compilers?

  Brantley Coile

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08 12:05 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-11-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Has anyone compared the efficiency of the code produced by GCC and the
>> Plan 9 compiler?

I'm not sure that this is a very important issue, whichever is better.

If the Plan 9 C compiler produced better code, would that immediately
causes the free-nix community to change compiler? Of course not, there
are many considerations other than efficiency.

The answer is that gcc is probably/possibly/allegedly more efficient,
but not by a substantial degree.

So, lets say the code is X% faster, and even X% smaller.  How does
this help?  If the code you want to run is within X% of catastrophe,
then squeezing the code with the aid of a compiler is not the only
solution.  Throwing away a lot of the code is quite a good one too.

And, before I get flamed that this is not a commercially minded
answer, a substantial part of my employ has been spent building small
embedded systems.  When the code didn't fit, we invariably played with
the compiler, decided it didn't help enough, and then started removing
code.

What value of X makes changing compiler worthwhile?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1497 bytes --]

From: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb+usenet@becket.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:39:58 GMT

@ 2001-11-08  8:51 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-11-08  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> of the core entity.  A CVS repository could be a start, but without

I'd be a lot happier using CVS if it didn't require
having droppings scattered all over my directory trees.

</unhelpful>

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08  6:45 anothy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: anothy @ 2001-11-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// I have never used plan 9's httpd, but from the features list it seem
// very good.  Certainly can't fault it from the client's perspective.

i can't say i recomend it. apache was a reasonable example; it really
_might_ make sense to port it (i don't think so, but it might). i
certainly believe something more robust than what we've got now would be
very usefull.

// ...suggesting that Mozilla be ported to Plan 9.

this is the same discussion as apache, i think. there are features that
we want: good html rendering, good javascript support, good set of
plugins (where good in those three cases, unfortunatly, really should be
read as "what web developers expect"). this is very hard to do. but so
is porting Mozilla (i looked at it. breifly). someone interested in
exerting effort to get these features needs to decide where to spend her
effort. a cost/gain decision.

// ...it takes a large community of developers to produce (amongst the
// noise) good, solid products.

i don't think this is so, but i'm not sure it's what you intended to
say, either. elsewhere you seem to argue that it takes a large
community of developers to produce _lots_ of _different_type_ of good,
solid products. and i'd agree with that.

there is a balance to be struck between the usefulness of importing
foreign code and the danger of doing so - diluting the system's
benefits, turning it into "just another unix". as such, i'm still not
sure what i think of the GCC port. GCC is ugly and awful. but it can
give me things that i want. like helping me get rid of the one
remaining Solaris box i run, when i can build the two things we use
it for that're in c++ on Plan 9. then i can get the web developer
who writes code for those two bits to be writing code on Plan 9, and
i have a chance at migrating him to better things.

i guess i just don't see the "party line" bit. maybe it's there, but i
don't see it. i find this to be a much more open forum than most others
i've spent time in, computer-related or not.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-08  1:57 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-11-08  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What means 'NP', sorry I'm comming from another planet. :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-07 21:34 anothy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: anothy @ 2001-11-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...continuous criticism... ...of everything beyond the boundaries
// of Plan 9/Inferno, no matter how justified, isn't healthy.

i'd agree with the implication but disagree with the statement.

i think constant criticism is a very good thing, provided it's done in a
productive manner, and the criticism is somewhat more concrete than
"not invented here." it is this ongoing criticism that will help all these
systems change, correct their flaws or failures of vision, and improve.

which brings me to my point of agreement. you say "everything beyond
the boundaries of Plan 9/Inferno" and i think that's a good observation.
Plan 9 and Inferno are by no means perfect. as someone noted some
time ago, the alt.sysadmin.recovery FAQ gets it right: no systems don't
suck, plan 9 simply sucks less than others. i think it's important that
_everybody_ needs to be occasionally reminded that they suck in some
fashion or other. but with that needs to come info on _how_ one sucks,
and how to suck less.

take the current compiler discussion. i would say the contention here is
not that GCC is worthless and ?c/?l are perfect, but rather that one can
be more productive improving ?c/?l than GCC. you correctly note that
the Plan 9 tools don't deal with cross-OS compiling (except in very
limited cases), whereas GCC does (to some degree, anyway). i don't
believe anyone is disputing this, nor claiming it doesn't matter. but i bet
most people here would say it'd require less overall man-hours to get
8c/8l to build Linux binaries than to get GCC to build Plan 9 ones, and
that the results would enable people on whatever platform to develop
things better and more quickly.

// Perl would open another [door], Python a third, Apache a fourth, etc.

Perl and Python i can see, for sure. they're languages, with apps
written in them, that people want to be able to use. and for good reason.
Perl and Python each have benefits one cannot get with C, rc, or Limbo.
i'd love to see them supported better on Plan 9.

Apache's a harder sell. do people want "Apache" or a web server with a
certain feature set? if the later, one has a decision to make: port (and
maybe improve) Apache, improve Plan 9's httpd, or build something
new. there's a legitamate cost/gain analysis here; the fact that we didn't
build Apache shouldn't enter into it.

i agree everyone could benefit by more active exchange between Plan 9
and other systems. but i think it's a big leap to go from there to saying
we should spend more time improving GCC or porting Apache.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-07 19:58 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>And the fact that at the present value of our currency, the Inferno
>>sources (I presume I need that licence to help develop the Inferno
>>tools) would cost me one month's income :-(

no, that bit is free.  i always intended it to be but it didn't end up
on the web site until recently for some reason.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-07 19:25 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Let's get off the hobbyhorse of criticising all the alternative
>>platforms and actually co-operate with them or show that the Plan
>>9 way is as superior as we make it out to be.

you're possibly overlooking the possibility that some of us have
written things such as portable compilers (and other things)
ourselves for a good few other systems, and take that into account
when making comparisons -- it's not
just that this or that isn't Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-07 18:56 David Gordon Hogan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-07 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 12:54:15PM -0500, David Gordon Hogan wrote:
> >
> > It's not.  If anything, it's worse.
>
> That's cheap.  Much as I can easily agree that GNU bloat can be
> improved on, I don't see anyone getting it right.
>
> Maybe the approach is flawed, but the results are out there.  Unlike
> Plan 9's ?c, GCC has to deal not only with different architectures,
> but also different operating systems.
>
> The above comment is a symptom of a Plan 9 syndrome I, for one, am
> not proud of: "we didn't contribute to it, it can't be any good".

No, it's a symptom of ``I wasted weeks of my life struggling
with this awful code''.

> In the meantime, if I want to cross-develop for Windows or Linux,
> or any other established platforms, Plan 9 is just no use to me,
> while GCC and its offspring are.  I know what my choice would be,
> but it's no choice, is it?  Oh, I forget the Inferno tools, those

GCC (Cygnus) is useless for Windows.  There's no way to link
a VXD!  So if you're doing any _serious_ development, are you
going to use two compilers, just so you can have the dubious
pleasure of using GCC?  I don't think so.

I'm sorry to be so ascerbic here, but I am sick of hearing people
defending GCC.

Why don't you help us improve the Inferno tools instead of
complaining about them?

> Sorry for the rant, I really don't mean it in a personal fashion,
> but I also fail to see the benefit of just criticising without
> providing any suggestions on _how_ to improve the things that are
> being criticised.  Like, you can't exactly remove GCC from today's
> development environment, what will you put in its place?  Across
> the board?

You want suggestions?  We could force all those GNU people to read
Rob's essay on programming style, for starters.

I have a cunning plan to use 8c to generate files that will
run under Windows 9x/Me.  Stay tuned...

Yes, you'll have to use MS compilers for the VXD and EXE
that get the show started, but that's it.  Unlike GCC, the
pleasure of using 8c is real.

I don't know about Nt/XP yet, but I'm guessing that they'll
be harder.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan9 and Ada95?
@ 2001-11-07 17:54 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)