* [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15  9:43 Andrej Bauer
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2011-11-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I would like to report on a recent experience of a student of mine who
is starting to learn Ocaml. His first taks was to get Ocaml installed
on his Windows 7. The student previously had no trouble installing
Java, Eclipse, erlang, and an erlang plugin for Eclipse.

1. He tried to install with the binary installer for Windows. Norton
Antivirus told him the installer has too low a reputation and deleted
it.
2. He installed the source, which meant he just unpacked it someplace.
3. He installed one of the Ocaml plugins for Eclipse, I think it was
the fpeclipse one.
4. The plugin complained that it can't find Ocaml, even though he told
it where he unpacked the source.

Then I came in. I realized he just unpacked the source, asked him if
he tried the binary installer, and he told me the antivirus story. So
we went on:

5. We deleted the source.
6. We installed Mingw.
7. We disabled Norton Antivirus and installed Ocaml with the binary installer.
8. Eclipse stopped working.
9. I diagoned the problem relatively quickly: the Ocaml installer or
maybe MinGW destroyed the PATH environment variable.
10. We spent some time restoring PATH to a correct value.
11. We deleted the Eclipse plugins because they didn't work somehow.
12. We installed OcaIDE into Eclipse.
13. OcaIDE told us it won't work without Cygwin.
14. We installed Cygwin, but did not know what packages OcaIDE wanted,
so we just installed whatever was turned on by default.
15. I felt stupid for having installed Mingw in step 5, now that we had Cygwin.
16. We followed the video tutorial for OcaIDE to create a HelloWorld project.
17. OcaIDE did not work because there was some error in some XML file.
18. I told the student to check forums, check that OcaIDE works with
Eclipse 3.7, and to generally pray to the gods of software.

I am waiting for him to come back.

Does it really have to be that hard?

It's not a stupid student, you know. And he has the right to use
Eclipse, so don't tell me he should learn Emacs. Emacs is for old
people like you and me.

With kind regards,

Andrej

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15  9:52 ` Jonathan Protzenko
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2011-11-15  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer, caml-list

Hi,

On Tue 15 Nov 2011 10:43:39 AM CET, Andrej Bauer wrote:
> I would like to report on a recent experience of a student of mine who
> is starting to learn Ocaml. His first taks was to get Ocaml installed
> on his Windows 7. The student previously had no trouble installing
> Java, Eclipse, erlang, and an erlang plugin for Eclipse.
>
> 1. He tried to install with the binary installer for Windows. Norton
> Antivirus told him the installer has too low a reputation and deleted
> it.
So that looks like the major pain point. Any advice on how to make sure
the installer is Norton-compliant?
> 2. He installed the source, which meant he just unpacked it someplace.
> 3. He installed one of the Ocaml plugins for Eclipse, I think it was
> the fpeclipse one.
> 4. The plugin complained that it can't find Ocaml, even though he told
> it where he unpacked the source.
>
> Then I came in. I realized he just unpacked the source, asked him if
> he tried the binary installer, and he told me the antivirus story. So
> we went on:
>
> 5. We deleted the source.
> 6. We installed Mingw.
> 7. We disabled Norton Antivirus and installed Ocaml with the binary installer.
> 8. Eclipse stopped working.
> 9. I diagoned the problem relatively quickly: the Ocaml installer or
> maybe MinGW destroyed the PATH environment variable.
> 10. We spent some time restoring PATH to a correct value.
I've had reports about that, I'm going to build a new version of the
installer that hopefully doesn't have this issue. Was the PATH really long?

jonathan

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 10:00 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-11-15 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I am waiting for him to come back.
>
> Does it really have to be that hard?
>
> It's not a stupid student, you know. And he has the right to use
> Eclipse, so don't tell me he should learn Emacs. Emacs is for old
> people like you and me.

I completely agree that it does not have to be that hard.

On the bright side, we are currently working hard on improving the
Eclipse support for OCaml, and we should be able to release an improved
plugin in a few months.

We also plan to release Windows installers for the next versions of
OCaml, to continue the great work started by Jonathan Protzenko.

--Fabrice

[-- Attachment #2: fabrice_le_fessant.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Fabrice LE FESSANT
n:LE FESSANT;Fabrice
org:INRIA Saclay -- Ile-de-France;P2P & OCaml
adr;quoted-printable:;;Parc Orsay Universit=C3=A9 ;Orsay CEDEX;;91893;France
email;internet:fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr
title;quoted-printable:Charg=C3=A9 de Recherche
tel;work:+33 1 74 85 42 14
tel;fax:+33 1 74 85 42 49
url:http://fabrice.lefessant.net/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 10:21   ` Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2011-11-15 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I completely agree that it does not have to be that hard.
>
> On the bright side, we are currently working hard on improving the
> Eclipse support for OCaml, and we should be able to release an improved
> plugin in a few months.
>
> We also plan to release Windows installers for the next versions of
> OCaml, to continue the great work started by Jonathan Protzenko.

Yes, please don't take my report as whining (only), but just as a user
experience report, to see how things go wrong.

I think it is particularly hard to get things right because there is
no single place which describes the correct procedure. Some people
will start with the Eclipse plugin and won't realize they need to
install Ocaml separately. Some people will install Ocaml, but won't
read instructions and won't install Mingw (like my student).

Suppose you do it the logical way:

1. Install Ocaml.
2. Install OcaIDE.

Then you'll still end up installing Mingw and later Cygwin, when
Cygwin with Mingw selected was all that was needed.

The Ocaml web site, or wherever Google sends people who type in
"install ocaml",  should have _unambigious_ set of instructions. No
ifs and thens and "Level 1" and "Level 2", and "source code or binary
installer" and "you need Mingw but you don't really because you can
have Microsoft stuff as well, and if you want 64-bit then Mingw is no
good, and there will be further surprises when you get to OcaIDE, we
lied about Mingw and Microsoft stuff, you will need cygwin anyhow,
etc."

People expect:
1. Install these prerequisites.
2. Install this stuff.
3. Install that stuff.
4. It's working.
5. Somewhere at the bottom of the instructions there is a link to
"alternative ways of installing" and "troubleshooting".

If you make them decide whether they want Mingw or Microsoft right at
the beginning, it's already a lost battle. If you list installation
from source code before you list the binary installer, that's a big
mistake. People who want and know how to install from source will find
the source code even if you hide it from them. The other 99% will just
get confused.

A good example is how Linux distributions have evolved from "it takes
a week to install Linux" to "burn this CD and reboot". They used to
list 27 kernel images with and without drivers and with and without X
windows etc, and they made the user select the right one. Now they're
reduced to "Intel 32", "Intel 64" and something else I never pay
attention to. We're somewhere in the "it takes a week to install
Ocaml" era, I am afraid.

I just realized that the documentation for OcaIDE failed to install,
aparently the relevant stuff could not be downloaded. We had to
disable that. So that's 19 steps.

@ 2011-11-15 10:25   ` ivan chollet
From: ivan chollet @ 2011-11-15 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Protzenko; +Cc: Andrej Bauer, caml-list

Norton is a notorious piece of malware and has little to do on a student
machine.

@ 2011-11-15 10:26     ` Andrej Bauer
       [not found]       ` <1321370897.43865.YahooMailNeo@web111510.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2011-11-15 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivan chollet; +Cc: Jonathan Protzenko, caml-list

> Norton is a notorious piece of malware and has little to do on a student
> machine.

I was shocked to learn that you cannot set it so that it only warns
about suspicous files. It actually instists on deleting them! I asked
my student what Norton will do with his Ph.D. dissertation if it is
judged to have too low a reputation, and he just faintly smiled. I
will try to get his boss to buy him a Mac.

@ 2011-11-15 10:32     ` Jonathan Protzenko
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2011-11-15 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer; +Cc: caml-list

On 11/15/2011 11:21 AM, Andrej Bauer wrote:
>> I completely agree that it does not have to be that hard.
>>
>> On the bright side, we are currently working hard on improving the
>> Eclipse support for OCaml, and we should be able to release an improved
>> plugin in a few months.
>>
>> We also plan to release Windows installers for the next versions of
>> OCaml, to continue the great work started by Jonathan Protzenko.
> Yes, please don't take my report as whining (only), but just as a user
> experience report, to see how things go wrong.
>
> I think it is particularly hard to get things right because there is
> no single place which describes the correct procedure. Some people
> will start with the Eclipse plugin and won't realize they need to
> install Ocaml separately. Some people will install Ocaml, but won't
> read instructions and won't install Mingw (like my student).
>
> Suppose you do it the logical way:
>
> 1. Install Ocaml.
> 2. Install OcaIDE.
>
> Then you'll still end up installing Mingw and later Cygwin, when
> Cygwin with Mingw selected was all that was needed.
OcaIDE requires Cygwin? I'm not seeing that anywhere on the OcaIDE page...

> The Ocaml web site, or wherever Google sends people who type in
> "install ocaml",  should have _unambigious_ set of instructions. No
> ifs and thens and "Level 1" and "Level 2", and "source code or binary
> installer" and "you need Mingw but you don't really because you can
> have Microsoft stuff as well, and if you want 64-bit then Mingw is no
> good, and there will be further surprises when you get to OcaIDE, we
> lied about Mingw and Microsoft stuff, you will need cygwin anyhow,
> etc."
>
> People expect:
> 1. Install these prerequisites.
> 2. Install this stuff.
> 3. Install that stuff.
> 4. It's working.
> 5. Somewhere at the bottom of the instructions there is a link to
> "alternative ways of installing" and "troubleshooting".
>
> If you make them decide whether they want Mingw or Microsoft right at
> the beginning, it's already a lost battle. If you list installation
> from source code before you list the binary installer, that's a big
> mistake. People who want and know how to install from source will find
> the source code even if you hide it from them. The other 99% will just
> get confused.
So that's one of the pain points that I wanted to alleviate with the
OCaml installer. I (honestly) think it does solve some problems already
by making sure ActiveTcl is installed, and by also installing Emacs if
wanted. I never use Eclipse and I'm more used to the French education
system where Emacs is somehow advocated because of its caml-mode, which
explains the stance I took on Emacs.

What would be an ideal experience in your opinion? Have the installer
prompt the user if he wants to install mingw/msys as well? Please keep
in  mind that the windows installer (at least the one I provide) will
remain based on msys/mingw.

Cheers,

jonathan

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 10:37 ` Dmitry Grebeniuk
From: Dmitry Grebeniuk @ 2011-11-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer

Hello.

  Also you can use overbld project at
http://overbld.sourceforge.net/ , it provides windows-style
installers both for binary and source distribution of
OCaml/mingw, and it also contains a bunch of useful
ocaml libraries and tools.  (direct http links for
downloading installers are provided too.)

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 10:53   ` Paolo Donadeo
From: Paolo Donadeo @ 2011-11-15 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about the OCaml Windows Installer project? Is it still active?

http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocaml-installer/

--
Paolo

* [Caml-list] Re: How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 11:00     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2011-11-15 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 15-11-2011, Paolo Donadeo <p.donadeo@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about the OCaml Windows Installer project? Is it still active?
>
> http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocaml-installer/

I would like to say yes, but this won't be true. Maybe one day we will
resume the dev.

BTW, any good advice to provide a link to a Windows binary installer ?
(http://yquem.inria.fr/~protzenk/caml-installer.html ?)

Cheers
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-15 11:50       ` Jonathan Protzenko
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2011-11-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Sylvain,

On Tue 15 Nov 2011 12:00:53 PM CET, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 15-11-2011, Paolo Donadeo<p.donadeo@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> What about the OCaml Windows Installer project? Is it still active?
>>
>> http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocaml-installer/
>>

> I would like to say yes, but this won't be true. Maybe one day we will
> resume the dev.
>
> BTW, any good advice to provide a link to a Windows binary installer ?
> (http://yquem.inria.fr/~protzenk/caml-installer.html ?)
This is now the official installer for Windows (linked from the OCaml
download page) as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

jonathan

> Cheers
> Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-15 12:01 ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2011-11-15 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

With current computers and the current state of OCaml softwares and
libraries (and all others actually), I believe that the easiest way
for teaching is to provide/use virtual machine.

There will be almost no performance impact on hardware with
paravirtualization (for CPU) and VirtualBox can run 32bit systems with
a minimal slowdown (around 10-20%).

It will also be much easier for many libraries.

--
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
       [not found]       ` <1321370897.43865.YahooMailNeo@web111510.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
@ 2011-11-15 22:22         ` Andrej Bauer
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2011-11-15 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Teixeira; +Cc: caml-list

Switching to a different operating system, or running a different
operating system in a virtual machine is NOT the most obvious solution
to normal people (everyone on this mailing list excluded). While I
agree with what Dario says in principle, I am convinced that people
aren't that keen on using Gnome/GTK gui inside Virtual box running on
a Windows 7.

Realistically, there is just no easy way to install Ocaml on Windows
from what I've learned.

With kind regards,

Andrej

@ 2011-11-15 23:19           ` Dmitry Grebeniuk
From: Dmitry Grebeniuk @ 2011-11-15 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer

Hello.

> Realistically, there is just no easy way to install Ocaml on Windows
> from what I've learned.

  Can ever exist any easier way than to download a windows
installer, run it, follow the usual "next->next->next->finish"
procedure and use OCaml with findlib, oasis and many
useful libraries contained in the overbld package?

  If this way does exist, can you please tell me, what it is?
Except a strong telepathic desire "I want OCaml
on this windows box, install it somehow!", please.

  (of course, overbld works on unix too, I use it on some
linux distributions that does not provide the packages
I need, and it's easier to maintain a specified set of
software for all OSes I use than to require bugfixes
for all OCaml packages on every platform.
The "real work" requires bugs to be fixed as soon
as possible, and it's easier to fix bugs with simple
patches right now (hour/day), than to talk with all
maintainers of all OS packages/ports (days...),
and then let them talk with upstream (more days...),
then waiting for the upstream fix (weeks...), then
waiting for new package version in OS
(weeks/months...).  Even in the ideal conditions,
it tooks at least 2..10 days, it's unacceptable for
some kinds of OCaml developement.)

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-16  2:38           ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2011-11-16  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-[ Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:22:54PM +0100, Andrej Bauer ]----
> Realistically, there is just no easy way to install Ocaml on Windows
> from what I've learned.

You were out of luck.
I tried a windows install some months ago since I had the
opportunity to use a window for some days (was a v7 I guess)
and despite my complete ignorance of this system I managed
to get godi installed in N steps: first cygwin, which I
recalled was the first thing to install on windows, then some
dependencies, then godi. I do not remember the details because
it went quite smoothly.
So, this is not that bad.
Maybe you should give it another try, starting from cygwin?

* [Caml-list] Re: How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-16  3:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-16  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I would like to report on a recent experience of a student of mine who
> is starting to learn Ocaml. His first taks was to get OCaml installed
> on his Windows 7.

Easier would be:

Visit http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
And then "aptitude install ocaml" ;-)

Also I agree with Ivan: anti-viruses are malware, so a good first step
is to get rid of them.

        Stefan

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-16  6:28     ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2011-11-16  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 11/15/2011 01:21 PM, Andrej Bauer wrote:
>   We're somewhere in the "it takes a week to install
> Ocaml" era, I am afraid.

That only applies to Windows.

On Linux, it's "a minute".

Especially if people dont want to use Emacs but KDevelop
(http://kdevelop.org/) or Geany (http://www.geany.org/) or Ajunta
(http://www.anjuta.org)...

--
RMA.

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-16  8:38             ` Stéphane Glondu
From: Stéphane Glondu @ 2011-11-16  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Grebeniuk; +Cc: caml-list

Le 16/11/2011 00:19, Dmitry Grebeniuk a écrit :
> [...] it's easier to maintain a specified set of
> software for all OSes I use than to require bugfixes
> for all OCaml packages on every platform.
> The "real work" requires bugs to be fixed as soon
> as possible, and it's easier to fix bugs with simple
> patches right now (hour/day), than to talk with all
> maintainers of all OS packages/ports (days...),
> and then let them talk with upstream (more days...),
> then waiting for the upstream fix (weeks...), then
> waiting for new package version in OS
> (weeks/months...).  Even in the ideal conditions,
> it tooks at least 2..10 days, it's unacceptable for
> some kinds of OCaml developement.)

Your singling out of "OS packages/ports" here is misleading. Your whole
paragraph applies to all software distributions as well, be it OS-level,
domain-specific or a single project, and including your own: a user of
your software will be subject to the same frustration that you are
describing here with "OS packages/ports"... even (and I would even say,
especially) if you are upstream.

--
Stéphane

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-16 13:44           ` Komtanoo Pinpimai
From: Komtanoo Pinpimai @ 2011-11-16 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

The easiest solution for your situation as of right now would be
making a vm image that has everything installed, ocaml, eclipse,
ocaide etc. and distribute it to everybody.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com> wrote:
> Switching to a different operating system, or running a different
> operating system in a virtual machine is NOT the most obvious solution
> to normal people (everyone on this mailing list excluded). While I
> agree with what Dario says in principle, I am convinced that people
> aren't that keen on using Gnome/GTK gui inside Virtual box running on
> a Windows 7.
>
> Realistically, there is just no easy way to install Ocaml on Windows
> from what I've learned.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Andrej
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Dario Teixeira <darioteixeira@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I was shocked to learn that you cannot set it so that it only warns
>>
>>> about suspicous files. It actually instists on deleting them! I asked
>>> my student what Norton will do with his Ph.D. dissertation if it is
>>> judged to have too low a reputation, and he just faintly smiled. I
>>> will try to get his boss to buy him a Mac.
>>
>> But if switching to a Mac is a solution on the table, that means that your
>> student does not actually need OCaml running on Windows.  What they
>> need is OCaml, and they just happen to be using Windows as their OS.
>> However, if this is the case, then it seems you did pick the most convoluted
>> approach.  As others have mentioned, why not just install a free-as-in-beer
>> and easy to use virtualisation software like Virtualbox and use it to run a Linux
>> distro where OCaml is just an apt-get away?
>>
>> Mind you, I'm not saying you don't have a point regarding the complexity of
>> installing OCaml on Windows (I wouldn't know).  Nevertheless, it does strike me
>> that you are bending over backwards to avoid what is the most straightforward
>> solution in these cases: run OCaml in a Linux distro.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dario Teixeira
>>

> --

In accordance with U.S. Treasury regulations, if this message contains
advice concerning one or more Federal tax issues, it is not a formal
legal opinion and may not be used by any person for the avoidance of
Federal tax penalties.

* Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
@ 2011-11-16 18:16             ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2011-11-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romerun; +Cc: caml-list