* What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 17:26 Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2003-01-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently switched to Oort and PGG and have started signing all outgoing
messages.  I hadn't realized that people in some Usenet groups were going to
get seriously upset at my usage of PGP/MIME signatures ("Ack!  You're
sending us viruses!").  Now, I have every intention of continuing to sign my
mail and postings, but need some advice.  What method of signing should I
use?  I see three problems:

1) Some people freak out when they see attachments (silly Outlook Express
   users. :) ).

2) Some mailers and newsreaders freak out when they see attachments ("Hey, I
   know, I'll just display a blank message!").

3) Some people freak out when they see plaintext signatures inserted at the
   end of an email message ("Your computer must be broken because I couldn't
   read that last part of your email.").

Has anyone found a way to peacefully co-exist with people who get upset when
they see something they don't understand?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 18:12 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2003-01-19 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:

> Has anyone found a way to peacefully co-exist with people who get
> upset when they see something they don't understand?

Really, if that's the goal, the only answer is to not sign your usenet
postings... :)

--
Josh Huber

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 18:34   ` Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2003-01-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 2003-01-19T18:12:46Z, Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Really, if that's the goal, the only answer is to not sign your usenet
> postings... :)

Well, I'd really prefer to avoid that method.  It's kind of the principal of
the thing: why should I be less interested in protecting my identity on
Usenet than on mailing lists? (note: I *did* see the smiley :) ).

Alternatively, is there a FAQ I can point complainers toward?
--

@ 2003-01-19 20:03 ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-19 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 KS> 2) Some mailers and newsreaders freak out when they see attachments
 KS>    ("Hey, I know, I'll just display a blank message!").

Correct, some Usenet readers are not MIME-compatible. Personally I try
not to use MIME on Usenet. If you want PGP in Usenet, better use the
RFC1991-compatible version.

 KS> 3) Some people freak out when they see plaintext signatures
 KS>    inserted at the end of an email message ("Your computer must be
 KS>    broken because I couldn't read that last part of your email.").

You can safely tell them: RTFM. And/or get a better newsreader. =))

---Vas

@ 2003-01-19 21:19   ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-19 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kirk Strauser, ding

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Vasily Korytov uttered the following:

>   KS> 2) Some mailers and newsreaders freak out when they see
>   KS>    attachments ("Hey, I know, I'll just display a blank
>   KS>    message!").
>
>  Correct, some Usenet readers are not MIME-compatible. Personally I
>  try not to use MIME on Usenet. If you want PGP in Usenet, better use
>  the RFC1991-compatible version.

Yup

>   KS> 3) Some people freak out when they see plaintext signatures
>   KS>    inserted at the end of an email message ("Your computer must
>   KS>    be broken because I couldn't read that last part of your
>   KS>    email.").
>
>  You can safely tell them: RTFM. And/or get a better newsreader. =))

Argh ! You have preceded me :) It is exactly what I would have said ;-)

zeDek

@ 2003-01-19 22:18   ` Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2003-01-19 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 2003-01-19T20:03:49Z, deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) writes:

> Correct, some Usenet readers are not MIME-compatible. Personally I try not
> to use MIME on Usenet. If you want PGP in Usenet, better use the
> RFC1991-compatible version.

Gotcha.  I don't know my way around PGG well enough yet to know how to do
so.  Can it do this?

> You can safely tell them: RTFM. And/or get a better newsreader. =))

Yeah, that did a *lot* to settle the flames I was receiving, let me tell
ya.  ;-)
--

@ 2003-01-19 23:02     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-19 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:

> At 2003-01-19T20:03:49Z, deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) writes:
>
>> Correct, some Usenet readers are not MIME-compatible. Personally I try not
>> to use MIME on Usenet. If you want PGP in Usenet, better use the
>> RFC1991-compatible version.
>
> Gotcha.  I don't know my way around PGG well enough yet to know how to do
> so.  Can it do this?

Yup.  Click on "PGP Sign" instead of "PGP/MIME Sign", or use "pgp"
instead of "pgpmime" in the MML tags.

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 23:19     ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 23:30       ` Andreas Fuchs
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-01-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Vasily Korytov <deskpot@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>  KS> Gotcha.  I don't know my way around PGG well enough yet to know
>  KS> how to do so.  Can it do this?
>
> Surely. But PGG setup has nothing to do with it. Just remove `mime'
> from the tag to sign the message (i.e. <#secure method=pgpmime
> mode=sign>). You can see the result in this message -- I use Oort from
> CVS and gpg.el (PGG should work as well).

I wonder - why does the user have to decide such things? Would it not
make more sense to just specify the method and let gnus itself figure
out whether it should use mime or not (i.e. if there is a mime part, use
detached signatures, if not, use plain pgp)?

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 23:43         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2003-01-19 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> I wonder - why does the user have to decide such things? Would it
> not make more sense to just specify the method and let gnus itself
> figure out whether it should use mime or not (i.e. if there is a
> mime part, use detached signatures, if not, use plain pgp)?

I really like this idea.  Way back in the day (okay, only about a year
ago, I think... :), I put in some logic which scans though the message
and decides whether or not to automatically insert a multipart signed
tag, or a part signed tag.

Prior to that, if you selected "sign" or "encrypt" it would only get
the first part in the case of a multi-part message. This could be
quite bad, and almost certainly was not what the user was expecting to
happen.

We could have some other tag, such as "pgpauto", which selected plain
PGP when there were no other attachments, but used pgp/mime if there
were.

The problem which arises from this (IMHO) is one of keybindings.  What
do we use?  I already don't like the fact that there are separate
keybindings for pgp and pgp/mime -- personally, I think there should
be one keyboard interface for signing/encrypting, and there should be
another variable which selects what style those commands use.

--
Josh Huber

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-19 23:45         ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-19 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

 asf> Today, Vasily Korytov <deskpot@myrealbox.com> wrote:
 >> Surely. But PGG setup has nothing to do with it. Just remove `mime'
 >> from the tag to sign the message (i.e. <#secure method=pgpmime
 >> mode=sign>). You can see the result in this message -- I use Oort from
 >> CVS and gpg.el (PGG should work as well).

 asf> I wonder - why does the user have to decide such things? Would it not
 asf> make more sense to just specify the method and let gnus itself figure
 asf> out whether it should use mime or not (i.e. if there is a mime part, use
 asf> detached signatures, if not, use plain pgp)?

IMHO, the user _has_ to decide it. For example, I prefer PGP/MIME for
mail, but when I use PGP for Usenet (I usually don't, but that's another
story), I want RFC1991 PGP.

I can prefer having PGP/MIME for one recipient, and old style PGP for
another. It may be really useful, so why eliminating this option (why
removing options anyway -- it's the Outlook way, we all know, in what it
results)?

BTW, the behaviour, you want, can be made through hooks.

---Vas

@ 2003-01-20  0:29           ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-01-20  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Vasily Korytov <deskpot@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>  asf> I wonder - why does the user have to decide such things? Would
>  asf> it not make more sense to just specify the method and let gnus
>  asf> itself figure out whether it should use mime or not (i.e. if
>  asf> there is a mime part, use detached signatures, if not, use plain
>  asf> pgp)?
>
> IMHO, the user _has_ to decide it. For example, I prefer PGP/MIME for
> mail, but when I use PGP for Usenet (I usually don't, but that's
> another story), I want RFC1991 PGP.
>
> I can prefer having PGP/MIME for one recipient, and old style PGP for
> another.

IMHO, there is no way to prefer one over the other: If there are mime
parts in the message, it should be signed as a multipart, and if there
is no mime part in it, gnus should not put one in, for size and
compatibility considerations.

> It may be really useful, so why eliminating this option (why removing
> options anyway -- it's the Outlook way, we all know, in what it
> results)?

I don't intend to rename a common option, I only suggested that the
<secure> code be made to work as expected - secure a message and ensure
that most receipients (even outlook users, stupid email gateways which
don't grok mime) can read and decode it.

> BTW, the behaviour, you want, can be made through hooks.

Absolutely. But in my opinion, it's a reasonable default, so why not
make it one? (-:

--

@ 2003-01-20  0:49             ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

 asf> Today, Vasily Korytov <deskpot@myrealbox.com> wrote:
 >> I can prefer having PGP/MIME for one recipient, and old style PGP for
 >> another.

 asf> IMHO, there is no way to prefer one over the other: If there are mime
 asf> parts in the message, it should be signed as a multipart, and if there
 asf> is no mime part in it, gnus should not put one in, for size and
 asf> compatibility considerations.

Ha. Seems, you simply don't know much about ``compatibility
considerations''. Some MUAs only have the support for RFC1991, some --
only for 2015. So there's a good reason to specify it sometimes
manually.

Next, I prefer PGP/MIME, where it's possible -- because it's a much more
cleaner standard. Why can't I do so? Why should I be forced to use
RFC1991-style PGP only because you think it's the right choice?

---Vas

@ 2003-01-20  1:17               ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-20  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

 asf> IMHO, there is no way to prefer one over the other: If there are mime
 asf> parts in the message, it should be signed as a multipart, and if there
 asf> is no mime part in it, gnus should not put one in, for size and
 asf> compatibility considerations.

 VK> Ha. Seems, you simply don't know much about ``compatibility
 VK> considerations''. Some MUAs only have the support for RFC1991, some --
 VK> only for 2015. So there's a good reason to specify it sometimes
 VK> manually.

Yeah, one thing more about ``compatibility considerations'' and ``broken
email gateways'', both mentioned by you. Well, I had a POP3 accound on
the M$ME server -- and this machine did weird things with PGP
signatures. The signed part was left, the signature was cut, the whole
former message was attached as application/ms-tnef -- having a normal
PGP-signed message on the SMTP input. So, the signatures were
practically deleted. But in RFC1991-style messages this stupid Exchange
couldn't find the text part -- and removed everything.

So, nothing is so simple. RFC1991 isn't the compatibility aid, as you
propose it to be.

---Vas

@ 2003-01-20  7:45           ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-01-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-01-19, Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> We could have some other tag, such as "pgpauto", which selected plain
> PGP when there were no other attachments, but used pgp/mime if there
> were.

Did just that (and this message is a test of the function as well
(-:). Use `M-x mml-secure-message-sign-pgpauto' to sign messages; gnus
should figure the rest out by itseld.

Here is the patch:

[-- Attachment #1.2: mml-auto-signing.diff --]

Index: lisp/mml-sec.el
RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/gnus/lisp/mml-sec.el,v
retrieving revision 1.18
diff -c -u -r1.18 mml-sec.el
--- lisp/mml-sec.el	2002/10/09 23:29:53	1.18
+++ lisp/mml-sec.el	2003/01/20 07:36:58
@@ -31,6 +31,7 @@
 (defvar mml-sign-alist
   '(("smime"     mml-smime-sign-buffer     mml-smime-sign-query)
     ("pgp"       mml-pgp-sign-buffer       list)
+    ("pgpauto"   mml-pgpauto-sign-buffer  list)
     ("pgpmime"   mml-pgpmime-sign-buffer   list))
   "Alist of MIME signer functions.")

@@ -40,6 +41,7 @@
 (defvar mml-encrypt-alist
   '(("smime"     mml-smime-encrypt-buffer     mml-smime-encrypt-query)
     ("pgp"       mml-pgp-encrypt-buffer       list)
+    ("pgpauto"   mml-pgpauto-sign-buffer  list)
     ("pgpmime"   mml-pgpmime-encrypt-buffer   list))
   "Alist of MIME encryption functions.")

@@ -49,6 +51,7 @@
 (defcustom mml-signencrypt-style-alist
   '(("smime"   separate)
     ("pgp"     separate)
+    ("pgpauto" separate)
     ("pgpmime" separate))
   "Alist specifying if `signencrypt' results in two separate operations or not.
 The first entry indicates the MML security type, valid entries include
@@ -118,6 +121,20 @@
   (or (mml2015-encrypt cont sign)
       (error "Encryption failed... inspect message logs for errors")))

+(defun mml-pgpauto-sign-buffer (cont)
+  (message-goto-body)
+  (or (if (re-search-backward "Content-Type: *multipart/.*" nil t) ; there must be a better way...
+	  (mml2015-sign cont)
+	(mml1991-sign cont))
+      (error "Encryption failed... inspect message logs for errors")))
+
+(defun mml-pgpauto-encrypt-buffer (cont &optional sign)
+  (message-goto-body)
+  (or (if (re-search-backward "Content-Type: *multipart/.*" nil t) ; there must be a better way...
+	  (mml2015-encrypt cont sign)
+	(mml1991-encrypt cont sign))
+      (error "Encryption failed... inspect message logs for errors")))
+
 (defun mml-secure-part (method &optional sign)
   (save-excursion
     (let ((tags (funcall (nth 2 (assoc method (if sign mml-sign-alist
@@ -148,6 +165,11 @@
   (interactive)
   (mml-secure-part "pgp" 'sign))

+(defun mml-secure-sign-pgp ()
+  "Add MML tags to PGP-auto sign this MML part."
+  (interactive)
+  (mml-secure-part "pgpauto" 'sign))
+
 (defun mml-secure-sign-pgpmime ()
   "Add MML tags to PGP/MIME sign this MML part."
   (interactive)
@@ -214,6 +236,11 @@
   (interactive)
   (mml-secure-message "pgpmime" 'sign))

+(defun mml-secure-message-sign-pgpauto ()
+  "Add MML tag to encrypt/sign the entire message."
+  (interactive)
+  (mml-secure-message "pgpauto" 'sign))
+
 (defun mml-secure-message-encrypt-smime (&optional dontsign)
   "Add MML tag to encrypt and sign the entire message.
 If called with a prefix argument, only encrypt (do NOT sign)."
@@ -231,5 +258,11 @@
 If called with a prefix argument, only encrypt (do NOT sign)."
   (interactive "P")
   (mml-secure-message "pgpmime" (if dontsign 'encrypt 'signencrypt)))
+
+(defun mml-secure-message-encrypt-pgpmime (&optional dontsign)
+  "Add MML tag to encrypt and sign the entire message.
+If called with a prefix argument, only encrypt (do NOT sign)."
+  (interactive "P")
+  (mml-secure-message "pgpauto" (if dontsign 'encrypt 'signencrypt)))

 (provide 'mml-sec)

Happy hacking,
--

@ 2003-01-20 10:25         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-20 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> I wonder - why does the user have to decide such things? Would it not
> make more sense to just specify the method and let gnus itself figure
> out whether it should use mime or not (i.e. if there is a mime part, use
> detached signatures, if not, use plain pgp)?

The user will ultimately have the control, but suggesting a useful
default would be good.

OK, what about a setting that makes Gnus always use the sign/encrypt
style of the original message?  It shouldn't be PGP specific, but
support S/MIME too, of course.

Another setting would be to make Gnus always sign outgoing mail using
the "most appropriate" setting.  The most appropriate setting would be
configurable, using a predicate like '(if multipart "pgpmime" "pgp")'
or "smime" or whatever the user prefers.

Making a variable that makes Gnus sign/encrypt outgoing mail based on
a regular expression matching the recipient is more tricky -- what to
do when several recipients are specified, and only one match?  Ideally
one unsigned and one signed message should be sent, to the appropriate
recipients, but there is no framework for this right now AFAIK.

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-21  6:07             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> Did just that (and this message is a test of the function as well
> (-:). Use `M-x mml-secure-message-sign-pgpauto' to sign messages; gnus
> should figure the rest out by itseld.
>
> Here is the patch:

Looks nice.

Nobody has sent me the list of copyright assignments yet (hint, hint :-),
so I have to ask: Do you have FSF copyright assignments on file?

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-21  8:46               ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-21  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

>> Did just that (and this message is a test of the function as well
>> (-:). Use `M-x mml-secure-message-sign-pgpauto' to sign messages; gnus
>> should figure the rest out by itseld.
>>
>> Here is the patch:

>Looks nice.

>Nobody has sent me the list of copyright assignments yet (hint, hint :-),
>so I have to ask: Do you have FSF copyright assignments on file?

 Hum what are these copyrights ??

zeDek

@ 2003-01-21  9:31               ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-01-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:
> Looks nice.
>
> Nobody has sent me the list of copyright assignments yet (hint, hint
> :-), so I have to ask: Do you have FSF copyright assignments on file?

I've signed papers for changes to Gnus. I think we should be fine (-:

--

@ 2003-01-21  9:48                 ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2003-01-21  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> wrote:
>> Nobody has sent me the list of copyright assignments yet (hint, hint
>> :-), so I have to ask: Do you have FSF copyright assignments on file?
>
> I've signed papers for changes to Gnus. I think we should be fine (-:

Uh, make that "past and future" changes (:

--

@ 2003-01-21 10:03                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

>  Hum what are these copyrights ??

The FSF requires that all code in Emacs be assigned to the FSF.

* Re: What method do *you* use for signing Usenet posts?
@ 2003-01-21 10:05                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> I've signed papers for changes to Gnus. I think we should be fine (-:

Thanks; I've now applied the patch.