* Those MIME requirements
@ 1998-09-11 11:35 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From Steinar's (ouch. it hurts to use an apostrophe before the
posessive "s" after Norwegian names) list of MIME requirements.

(I've skipped the composition reqs.)

> ******
> REQ-1 - automatic decoding of text
> I would like automatic decoding of q-b or base64 encoded text/plain
> message parts
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-2 - inline image attachments
> I would like to view images (JPEG, GIF, PNG) inline in the message
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-3 - saving image attachments
> I would like a simple way to save image attachments
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-4 - navigation in multipart/mixed messages
> I would like a simple way of navigating through a multipart
> message, and view and save the parts.  I rather like the current TM
>  behaviour for this
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

How does TM navigate through the multipart/mixed messages?

> ******
> REQ-5 - display of text/html
> I would like to see text/html message parts formatted inline in the
> message (using W3, I guess), both where they are the only alternative,
> and where they are part of a multipart/alternative
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Don't w3 have to display things in its own buffer?  Anyway, 0.27 will
display html with w3 in a separate buffer, which brings up the
question: How is Gnus supposed to display things that are displayed by
Emacs, but not in the article buffer?  Gnus has to pop up a new
buffer, but is that buffer supposed to replace the article buffer, or
what?

> ******
> REQ-6 - toggle between text/html and text/plain
> I would like to be easily able to toggle between text/plain and
> text/html parts of a multipart/alternative
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Ooh.  multipart/alternative.  It's not handled exactly the same way as
multipart/mixed, which is obviously not good, but I can't visualize
how this is supposed to look with the current buttonized scheme.

> ******
> REQ-7 - replying to text/html
> I would like to be able to reply to a text/html message part as if it
> had been a text/plain message (ie. I would like to see the HTML
> formatted into plain text before it's taken into a *message* buffer
> and quoted)
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

And this goes for all things that Emacs display, but not in the
article buffer (see REQ-5).  Or?

> ******
> REQ-8 - formatted MSWord documents shown inline
> I would like attached MSWord documents to be shown inline as the
> results of catdoc or other filter, while keeping it easy to save the
> MSWord file to disk
> (19980825 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

Sure.  Send me rules to plonk into `mailcap-mime-data' (as default
settings) for doing this and other wonderful things.  (I mean --
displaying weird formats and stuff.)

> ******
> REQ-9 - prompt for filename when saving attachments
> I would like to be prompted for directory and filename, when saving
> attachments
> (19980825 Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org>)
> (19980825 Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-10 - implement everything in elisp
> I would like the MIME support in Gnus to be completely implemented in
> elisp, and to rely on external programs only as a speedup option
> (19980825 Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch>)

Check.  Well, it relies on C-layer support to speed things up.  base64
de/encoding in C will be in Emacs 20.4, for instance.

> ******
> REQ-11 - extract part to buffer
> I would like to be able to extract a message part to an emacs buffer
> (19980825 Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch>)

Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.27.

> ******
> REQ-12 - use richest format by default
> I presume the best bet is automatically using the richest format possible
> in a given environment, or at least, have user options stating preferences.
> Manual intervention could be required to alter the choice (a bit like there
> are washing commands to alter presentation after the fact, even if these
> commands are hook-able), but I would not say that having such commands for
> selection among alternative MIME parts would make Gnus less interesting.
> All the contrary: it's better having a choice than none.  Yet, selection
> among alternative parts should be automated by default.
> (19980825 François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>)

I've now added a `mm-alternative-precedence' variable that would
determine which alternative part is to be displayed, but the way to
display the "other" parts has to be worked out.

> ******
> REQ-16 - display of message parts
> The user can configure what MIME types should be displayed inline
> (meaning that it is either displayed in a buffer or directly via an
> external program). [VM behaviour]
> (19980826 Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-17 - saving message parts
> For non-inline MIME types buttons are generated the user can use to save
> the MIME part to a file, or open it in some external viewer. [VM behaviour]
> (19980826 Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com>)

Check

> ******
> REQ-18 - message parts converted into plain text
> Alternative display of MIME messages: plain text (no conversions), using
> inline display, or all buttons. [VM behaviour]
> (19980826 Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com>)

Check.  (I think.)

> ******
> REQ-19 - handling of MIME digests
> I would like Gnus to handle MIME digests [a closer description, maybe?]
> (19980826 Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com>)

nndoc takes care of this.

> ******
> REQ-20 - integration of MIME support with nnimap
> I would like the MIME support to cooperate with the upcoming
> nnimap, in such a way that loading of attachments can be delayed
> until you actually wish to show or save it (delay the download of
> that 5MB PowerPoint file your boss sent you (real example: it
> happened to me today) until you can plug your laptop into the LAN at
> work)
> (19980826 Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>)

That would be nice.

> ******
> REQ-21 - handling of message-internal URIs
> In some MIME type, like vcard, there is a possible to make special URL
> beginning with cid:...
> These relate to other MIME attachement of the same message. It would be
> nice for the people developping MIME types extension that Gnus provides
> function to handles these URL smoothly.
> (19980826 Jean-Yves Perrier <perrier@nagra-kudelski.ch>)

In what way are these used?

> ******
> REQ-22 - a choice when handling attachments
> I would like nice handling of file attachments.  There should be a
> choice whether you want to save the attachment (and it should query
> for a file name), view the attachment in an Emacs buffer, or start
> an external command on the attachment.
> (19980826 Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-23 - support for mailcap
> I would like support for .mailcap.  This is important, as well-configured
> systems (such as Debian Linux releases) are actually using mailcaps to
> specify external programs associated to various document formats.  I
> haven't looked at Bill's code, so I don't know how applicable it is.
> (19980826 Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr>)
> I think mailcap/mimetype support is fundamental.
> (19980826 Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-24 - support for RFC2047 in headers
> I would like support for decoding/encoding of RFC2047 headers.  This is
> partially connected with Mule, but not necessarily.
> (19980826 Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr>)

Check.

> ******
> REQ-27 - mailcap support for elisp
> I would like mailcap files to be able to execute emacs lisp functions
> on the contents of a message part.
> (19980826 Jean-Yves Perrier <perrier@nagra-kudelski.ch>)

application/emacs-lisp will eval Emacs Lisp functions.  (After asking,
of course.)  Is that what you mean?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen