* C-d heuristics
@ 2002-03-12 21:48 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2002-03-12 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attached are two articles of a sort that I receive daily.
On the first one, if I hit C-d, I get a nice summary buffer
which uses the Authors field for the From information and
the Title field for the Subject.  But on the second one
I get the From information from the (less useful) From
header, and I get no subject.  Could the heuristics of
C-d be tweaked to handle the second case better?

I haven't been able to pinpoint why one of the two is
handled better currently.

--
Dan Christensen
jdc+news@uwo.ca

Subject: Topics

Topics:
   gr-qc daily 0203014 -- 0203016 received 26
   math daily Subj-class mailing 40000 1

[-- Attachment #2.2: Type: text/plain, Size: 11522 bytes --]

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:24:04 -0500
From: no-reply@arXiv.org (send mail ONLY to gr-qc)
To: rabble@arXiv.org (gr-qc daily title/abstract distribution)
Subject: gr-qc daily 0203014 -- 0203016 received 26

received from  Mon  4 Mar 02 21:00:00 GMT  to  Tue  5 Mar 02 21:00:00 GMT
\\
Paper: gr-qc/0203014
From: Michele Vallisneri <vallis@its.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:42:18 GMT   (36kb)

Title: Ephemeral point-events: is there a last remnant of physical objectivity?
Authors: Massimo Pauri and Michele Vallisneri
Comments: LaTeX, natbib, 34 pages. To be published in the Roberto Torretti
  Festschrift, Dialogos (2002)
\\
  For the past two decades, Einstein's Hole Argument (which deals with the
apparent indeterminateness of general relativity due to the general covariance
of the field equations) and its resolution in terms of Leibniz equivalence (the
statement that Riemannian geometries related by active diffeomorphisms
represent the same physical solution) have been the starting point for a lively
philosophical debate on the objectivity of the point-events of space-time. It
seems that Leibniz equivalence makes it impossible to consider the points of
the space-time manifold as physically individuated without recourse to
dynamical individuating fields. Various authors have posited that the metric
field itself can be used in this way, but nobody so far has considered the
problem of explicitly distilling the metrical fingerprint of point-events from
the gauge-dependent components of the metric field. Working in the Hamiltonian
formulation of general relativity, and building on the results of Lusanna and
Pauri (2002), we show how Bergmann and Komar's intrinsic pseudo-coordinates
(based on the value of curvature invariants) can be used to provide a physical
individuation of point-events in terms of the true degrees of freedom (the
Dirac observables) of the gravitational field, and we suggest how this
conceptual individuation could in principle be implemented with a well-defined
empirical procedure. We argue from these results that point-events retain a
significant kind of physical objectivity.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0203014 ,  36kb)
\\
Paper: gr-qc/0203015
From: Reg Cahill <reg.cahill@flinders.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 04:41:44 GMT   (48kb)

Title: Process Physics: From Quantum Foam to General Relativity
Authors: Reginald T. Cahill
Comments: 26 pages Latex, 1 separate eps file
\\
  Progress in the new information-theoretic process physics is reported in
which the link to the phenomenology of general relativity is made. In process
physics the fundamental assumption is that reality is to be modelled as
self-organising semantic (or internal or relational) information using a
self-referentially limited neural network model. Previous progress in process
physics included the demonstration that space and quantum physics are emergent
and unified, with time a distinct non-geometric process, that quantum phenomena
are caused by fractal topological defects embedded in and forming a growing
three-dimensional fractal process-space, which is essentially a quantum foam.
Other features of the emergent physics were: quantum field theory with emergent
flavour and confined colour, limited causality and the Born quantum measurement
metarule, inertia, time-dilation effects, gravity and the equivalence
principle, a growing universe with a cosmological constant, black holes and
event horizons, and the emergence of classicality. Here general relativity and
the technical language of general covariance is seen not to be fundamental but
a phenomenological construct, arising as an amalgam of two distinct phenomena:
the `gravitational' characteristics of the emergent quantum foam for which
`matter' acts as a sink, and the classical `spacetime' measurement protocol,
but with the later violated by quantum measurement processes. Quantum gravity,
as manifested in the emergent Quantum Homotopic Field Theory of the
process-space or quantum foam, is logically prior to the emergence of the
general relativity phenomenology, and cannot be derived from it.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0203015 ,  48kb)
\\
Paper: gr-qc/0203016
From: Sawa Manoff <smanov@inrne.bas.bg>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:20:39 GMT   (30kb)

Title: Mechanics of Continuous Media in $(\bar{L}_n,g)$-spaces. I. Introduction
  and mathematical tools
Authors: Sawa Manoff
Comments: 34 pages, LaTeX
\\
  Basic notions and mathematical tools in continuum media mechanics are
recalled. The notion of exponent of a covariant differential operator is
introduced and on its basis the geometrical interpretation of the curvature and
the torsion in $(\bar{L}_n,g)$-spaces is considered. The Hodge (star) operator
is generalized for $(\bar{L}_n,g)$-spaces. The kinematic characteristics of a
flow are outline in brief. PACS numbers: 11.10.-z; 11.10.Ef; 7.10.+g; 47.75.+f;
47.90.+a; 83.10.Bb
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0203016 ,  30kb)
%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): astro-ph/0203043
From: (Giallo) Israel <gianluca@ulysses.mporzio.astro.it>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:37:54 GMT   (115kb)

Title: RXJ0806.3+1527: a double degenerate binary with the shortest known
  orbital period (321s)
Authors: G.L. Israel, W. Hummel, S. Covino, S. Campana, I. Appenzeller, W.
  Gassler, K.-H. Mantel, G. Marconi, C.W. Mauche, U. Munari, I. Negueruela, H.
  Nicklas, G. Rupprecht, R.L. Smart, O. Stahl, L. Stella
Comments: Accepted for publication on A&A Letters
\\
  We carried out optical observations of the field of the X-ray pulsator
RXJ0806.3+1527. A blue V=21.1 star was found to be the only object consistent
with the X-ray position. VLT FORS spectra revealed a blue continuum with no
intrinsic absorption lines. Broad (v~1500 km/s), low equivalent width (about
-1/-6A) emission lines from the HeII Pickering series were clearly detected. B,
V and R time-resolved photometry revealed the presence of about 15% pulsations
at the 321s X-ray period, confirming the identification. These findings,
together with the period stability and absence of any additional modulation in
the 1min-5hr period range, argue in favour of the orbital interpretation of the
321s pulsations. The most likely scenario is thus that RXJ0806.3+1527 is a
double degenerate system of the AM CVn class. This would make RXJ0806.3+1527
the shortest orbital period binary currently known and one of the best
candidates for gravitational wave detection.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0203043 ,  115kb)
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): hep-th/0203003
From: Amir Masoud Ghezelbash <amasoud@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:14:05 GMT   (26kb)

Title: Vortices in De Sitter Spacetimes
Authors: A.M. Ghezelbash, R.B. Mann
Comments: 11 pages, 5 figures
Report-no: WATPPHYS-TH02/02
\\
  We investigate vortex solutions to the Abelian Higgs field equations in a
four dimensional de Sitter spacetime background. We obtain both static and
dynamic solutions with axial symmetry that are generalizations of the
Nielsen-Olesen gauge vortices in flat spacetime. The static solution is located
in the static patch of de Sitter space. We numerically solve the field
equations in an inflationary (big bang) patch and find a time dependent vortex
soution. We show that the effect of the vortex is to create a deficit angle in
the spacetime. We comment on the relationship of these solutions to their anti
de Sitter counterparts, and on their possible holographic interpretation.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0203003 ,  26kb)
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): hep-th/0203013
From: Patrick Peter <peter@iap.fr>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:04:07 GMT   (261kb)

Title: Primordial perturbations in a non singular bouncing universe model
Authors: Patrick Peter (IAP) and Nelson Pinto-Neto (CBPF)
Comments: 11 pages, RevTeX 4, 8 figures, submitted to Phys. Rev. D
\\
  We construct a simple non singular cosmological model in which the currently
observed expansion phase was preceded by a contraction. This is achieved, in
the framework of pure general relativity, by means of a radiation fluid and a
free scalar field having negative energy. We calculate the power spectrum of
the scalar perturbations that are produced in such a bouncing model and find
that, under the assumption of initial vacuum state for the quantum field
associated with the hydrodynamical perturbation, this leads to a spectral index
n=-1. The matching conditions applying to this bouncing model are derived and
shown to be different from those in the case of a sharp transition. We find
that if our bounce transition can be smoothly connected to a slowly contracting
phase, then the resulting power spectrum will be scale invariant.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0203013 ,  261kb)
%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%
\\
Paper: gr-qc/0110010
replaced with revised version Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:19:56 GMT   (13kb)

Title: Radiation from perfect mirrors starting from rest and the black body
  spectrum
Authors: A. Calogeracos (Division of Theoretical Mechanics, Hellenic Air Force
  Academy, Greece)
Comments: Typos corrected
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0110010 ,  13kb)
%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---
For subscribe options to combined physics archives,
e-mail To: physics@arXiv.org, Subject: subscribe
For help on viewing and making submissions, see http://arXiv.org/help/
For a list of archive mirror sites, see http://arXiv.org/servers.html
Third-party submissions cause excessive problems.
Author self-submissions are exceedingly preferred. Format if by e-mail:

\\
Title: Recent Seminal Results
Authors: Author One and Author Two
Comments: 3 pages, latex, no figures, mpeg simulations available at
  ftp://myhost.mydomain/path/file.mpg or at http://myhost.mydomain/RSR/file.mpg
Report-no: EFI-02-63
\\
text of abstract (you do not need  Abstract: ...)
\\
body of paper (as mime attachments, uuencoded .tar.gz .zip, etc.)

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:12:36 -0500
From: no-reply@arXiv.org (send mail ONLY to math)
To: rabble@arXiv.org (math daily title/abstract distribution)
Subject: math daily Subj-class mailing 40000 1

 Submissions to:
Quantum Algebra
 received from  Fri  1 Mar 02 21:00:00 GMT  to  Mon  4 Mar 02 21:00:00 GMT
%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-
\\
Paper (*cross-listing*): math-ph/0203004
From: Mariano A del Olmo <olmo@wamba.cpd.uva.es>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:44:11 GMT   (12kb)

Title: Dynamical Systems and Quantum Bicrossproduct Algebras
Authors: Oscar Arratia and Mariano A. del Olmo
Comments: LaTeX, 12 pages
Subj-class: Mathematical Physics; Quantum Algebra
MSC-class: 58F25; 70D99; 17B37
\\
  We present a unified study of some aspects of quantum bicrossproduct algebras
of inhomogeneous Lie algebras, like Poincare, Galilei and Euclidean in N
dimensions. The action associated to the bicrossproduct structure allows to
obtain a nonlinear action over a new group linked to the translations. This new
nonlinear action associates a dynamical system to each generator which is the
object of study in this paper.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/math-ph/0203004 ,  12kb)
\\
Paper: math.DS/0203018
From: Anatoly Vershik <avershik@mpim-bonn.mpg.de>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:48:45 GMT   (9kb)

Title: Graded Lie Algebras and dynamical systems
Authors: A.Vershik (St.Petersburg Mathematical Institute of Russian Acad.)
Comments: 10 pages, Latex
Report-no: ESI-1086
Subj-class: Dynamical Systems; Quantum Algebra; Operator Algebras
\\
  The general class of the graded Lie algebras is defined. These algebras could
be constructed using an arbitrary dynamical systems with discrete time and with
invarinat measure. In this papers we consider the case of the central extension
of Lie algebras which corresponds to the ordinary crossed product (as
associative algebra) - series A. The structure of those Lie algebras is similar
to Kac-Moody algebras, and these are a special case of so called algebras with
continuous root system which were introduced by author with M.Saveliev in
90-th. The central extension open a new possibilty in algebraic theory of
dynamical systems. The simpliest example corresponds to rotation of the circle
(sine-algebra="quantum torus") and to adding of unity the additvie group of the
p-adic integers.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0203018 ,  9kb)
\\
Paper: math.GT/0203012
From: Stavros Garoufalidis <stavros@maths.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:42:14 GMT   (27kb)

Title: Random walks and the colored Jones function
Authors: Stavros Garoufalidis and Martin Loebl
Comments: AMS-LaTeX, 13 pages with 12 figures
Subj-class: Geometric Topology; Quantum Algebra
\\
  It can be conjectured that the colored Jones function of a knot can be
computed in terms of counting paths on the graph of a planar projection of a
knot. On the combinatorial level, the colored Jones function can be replaced by
its weight system. We give two curious formulas for the weight system of a
colored Jones function: one in terms of the permanent of a matrix associated to
a chord diagram, and another in terms of counting paths of intersecting chords.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0203012 ,  27kb)
%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%
\\
Paper: math.RT/0202079
replaced with revised version Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:44:22 GMT   (22kb)

Title: On primitive ideals
Author: Victor Ginzburg
Comments: 17pp., LaTeX, minor corrections made
Subj-class: Representation Theory; Rings and Algebras; Algebraic Geometry;
  Quantum Algebra
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0202079 ,  22kb)
%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---
For general information on the new math archive (partitioned by
keyword subject classification), see http://arXiv.org/new/math.html
For subscribe options to combined math archives,
e-mail To: math@arXiv.org, Subject: subscribe

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-03-12 22:08 ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2002-03-12 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Dan Christensen wrote:

> Attached are two articles of a sort that I receive daily.
> On the first one, if I hit C-d, I get a nice summary buffer
> which uses the Authors field for the From information and
> the Title field for the Subject.  But on the second one
> I get the From information from the (less useful) From
> header, and I get no subject.  Could the heuristics of
> C-d be tweaked to handle the second case better?
>
> I haven't been able to pinpoint why one of the two is
> handled better currently.

I have yet another problem with C-d.

I've subscribed to a mailing list with an option to receive the daily messages
as a digest.

In the basic *Article* buffer, I see each message/rfc822 attachment, and can
buttonize them if I wish, but if I try to use C-d to view the digest, I get
the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't request group: No articles in group lists.mscsoftware-1346-ephemeral:lists.mscsoftware-1346")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group: No articles in group lists.mscsoftware-1346-ephemeral:lists.mscsoftware-1346"))
  error("Couldn't request group: %s" "No articles in group lists.mscsoftware-1346-ephemeral:lists.mscsoftware-1346")
  gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("nnfolder+private:lists.mscsoftware-1346" (nndoc "nnfolder+private:lists.mscsoftware-1346" (nndoc-address #<buffer  *gnus digest buffer*>) (nndoc-article-type guess)) t nil nil nil ((adapt-file . "/home/users/stern/News/nnfolder+private/lists/mscsoftware/ADAPT")))
  gnus-summary-enter-digest-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-enter-digest-group)

--
Ted
(speaking for himself, not Cray Inc.)

[-- Attachment #2: Digest email that can't be un-digested --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5621 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 552 bytes --]

Subject: msc.nastran digest: March 09, 2002
From: "MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group digest" <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:00:24 -0500

MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group
MSC.NASTRAN Digest for Saturday, March 09, 2002.

1. RE: Heat Transfer of Electric motor
2. RE: Heat Transfer of Electric motor

---
You are currently subscribed to msc.nastran as: stern@xxxx.xxx

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/plain, Size: 392 bytes --]

Subject: RE: Heat Transfer of Electric motor
From: "sameer mohrir" <sameerdm@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:14:34 -0500

Hi

Thanks for giving reference for heat transfer coeff.

I would like to know wether heat loss is related to velocity of fluid and
how it is related

thanks and regards
Sameer D.Mohrir

[-- Attachment #2.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 2685 bytes --]

From: "sameer mohrir" <sameerdm@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:28:38

Hi

I will explain u my problem i am facing with analysis of electric motor.
motor of following dimension ID 0.151m and OD 0.18m and length of 0.203m is
modelled in FEMAP with properties of material with conductiivty of 45w/m2K
(steel)

Boundary condition applied as follow
Nodal- inside temperature 145 deg. c
and Elemental -convection 25W/m2K at 20deg.C on outside surface of motor

And after solving the problem in MSC Nastran i get 136 deg.C temperature on
outer surface .But as per standard outside temperature of electric motor
should be 98 deg.C

So please could you tell us how much velocity of air to be taken to get
surface temp as 98 deg.C

thanking you

Sameer D.Mohrir

>From: Torfinn.Tobiassen@kongsberg.com
>To: "MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group" <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>
>Subject: [msc.nastran] RE: Heat Transfer of Electric motor
>Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:06:08 +0100
>
>MSC.NASTRAN Discussion
>Hi
>
>The heat transfer coefficient is related to the Nusselt number by the
>following expression:
>
>h=(k/D)Nu, k=Thermal conductivity, D=diameter, Nu=Nusselt number
>
>Nu can be calculated from the Reynolds and Prandtl numbers.
>
>Pr=0.69, Re=VD/v=8.3E4, V=airspeed, D=Diameter, v=Kinematic viscosity
>
>Nu=0.3+((0.62Re**0.5*Pr**0.33)/((1+(0.4/Pr)**0.67)**0.25))*(1+(Re/282000
>)**0.5, 2E4 < Re < 4E5
>Nu=213.8
>
>You will find the formula in a Heat Transfer textbook (E.g. Heat
>Transfer by A. F. Mills)
>
>Best Regards
>
>Torfinn Tobiassen
>Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-24  3:02 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2002-04-24  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca> writes:

> Attached are two articles of a sort that I receive daily.
> On the first one, if I hit C-d, I get a nice summary buffer
> which uses the Authors field for the From information and
> the Title field for the Subject.  But on the second one
> I get the From information from the (less useful) From
> header, and I get no subject.  Could the heuristics of
> C-d be tweaked to handle the second case better?

I fixed this problem and many other problems with the handling
of the lanl nndoc type:

- recognizes math postings properly now (original problem)
- extracts Date correctly
- extracts e-mail address correctly
- creates Date header for revised versions
- creates From header for revised versions
- gets rid of spurious \\ lines
- detects end of message correctly
- correctly rephrases the URL

Could someone please apply this patch?  I have papers on file.

Thanks,

Dan

[-- Attachment #2: nndoc.el.patch --]

--- nndoc.el.orig	Thu Apr 11 21:28:18 2002
+++ nndoc.el	Tue Apr 23 22:59:51 2002
@@ -123,8 +123,8 @@
      (head-begin . "^Paper.*:")
      (head-end   . "\\(^\\\\\\\\.*\n\\|-----------------\\)")
      (body-begin . "")
-     (body-end   . "-------------------------------------------------")
-     (file-end   . "^Title: Recent Seminal")
+     (body-end   . "\\(-------------------------------------------------\\|%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-\\|%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--%%--\\|%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---\\)")
+     (file-end   . "\\(^Title: Recent Seminal\\|%%%---%%%---%%%---%%%---\\)")
      (generate-head-function . nndoc-generate-lanl-gov-head)
      (article-transform-function . nndoc-transform-lanl-gov-announce)
      (subtype preprints guess))
@@ -597,35 +597,54 @@

 (defun nndoc-lanl-gov-announce-type-p ()
   (when (let ((case-fold-search nil))
-	  (re-search-forward "^\\\\\\\\\nPaper: [a-z-]+/[0-9]+" nil t))
+	  (re-search-forward "^\\\\\\\\\nPaper\\( (\\*cross-listing\\*)\\)?: [a-zA-Z-\\.]+/[0-9]+" nil t))
     t))

 (defun nndoc-transform-lanl-gov-announce (article)
   (goto-char (point-max))
-  (when (re-search-backward "^\\\\\\\\ +(\\([^ ]*\\) , *\\([^ ]*\\))" nil t)
-    (replace-match "\n\nGet it at \\1 (\\2)" t nil)))
+  (when (re-search-backward "^\\\\\\\\ +( *\\([^ ]*\\) , *\\([^ ]*\\))" nil t)
+    (replace-match "\n\nGet it at \\1 (\\2)" t nil))
+  (goto-char (point-min))
+  (while (re-search-forward "^\\\\\\\\$" nil t)
+    (replace-match "" t nil))
+  (goto-char (point-min))
+  (when (re-search-forward "^replaced with revised version +\\(.*[^ ]\\) +" nil t)
+    (replace-match "Date: \\1 (revised) " t nil))
+  (goto-char (point-min))
+  (unless (re-search-forward "^From" nil t)
+    (goto-char (point-min))
+    (when (re-search-forward "^Authors?: \\(.*\\)" nil t)
+      (goto-char (point-min))
+      (insert "From: " (match-string 1) "\n"))))

 (defun nndoc-generate-lanl-gov-head (article)
   (let ((entry (cdr (assq article nndoc-dissection-alist)))
-	(e-mail "no address given")
-	subject from)
+	(from "<no address given>")
+	subject date)
     (save-excursion
       (set-buffer nndoc-current-buffer)
       (save-restriction
 	(narrow-to-region (car entry) (nth 1 entry))
 	(goto-char (point-min))
-	(when (looking-at "^Paper.*: \\([a-z-]+/[0-9]+\\)")
+	(when (looking-at "^Paper.*: \\([a-zA-Z-\\.]+/[0-9]+\\)")
 	  (setq subject (concat " (" (match-string 1) ")"))
-	  (when (re-search-forward "^From: \\([^ ]+\\)" nil t)
-	    (setq e-mail (match-string 1)))
+	  (when (re-search-forward "^From: \\(.*\\)" nil t)
+	    (setq from (concat "<"
+			       (cadr (funcall gnus-extract-address-components
+					      (match-string 1))) ">")))
+	  (if (re-search-forward "^Date: +\\([^(]*\\)" nil t)
+	      (setq date (match-string 1))
+	    (when (re-search-forward "^replaced with revised version +\\([^(]*\\)" nil t)
+	      (setq date (match-string 1))))
 	  (when (re-search-forward "^Title: \\([^\f]*\\)\nAuthors?: \\(.*\\)"
 				   nil t)
 	    (setq subject (concat (match-string 1) subject))
-	    (setq from (concat (match-string 2) " <" e-mail ">"))))))
+	    (setq from (concat (match-string 2) " " from))))))
     (while (and from (string-match "(\[^)\]*)" from))
       (setq from (replace-match "" t t from)))
     (insert "From: "  (or from "unknown")
-	    "\nSubject: " (or subject "(no subject)") "\n")))
+	    "\nSubject: " (or subject "(no subject)") "\n")
+    (if date (insert "Date: " date))))

 (defun nndoc-nsmail-type-p ()
   (when (looking-at "From - ")

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-24 11:25   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca> writes:

> Could someone please apply this patch?  I have papers on file.

I applied the patch and wrote this ChangeLog entry:

2002-04-24  Kai Großjohann  <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>
	From Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca>.

	* nndoc.el (nndoc-type-alist, nndoc-lanl-gov-announce-type-p)
	(nndoc-transform-lanl-gov-announce, nndoc-generate-lanl-gov-head):
	Recognize math postings properly.  Extract Date and email address
	correctly.  Create Date and From header for revised versions.  Get
	rid of spurious \\ lines.  Detect end of message correctly.
	Correctly rephrase the URL.

I think the ChangeLog entry could be improved.  For example, it's not
clear to me what does "correctly" mean.  I think the idea is that in
ChangeLog entries it is said what happens.  So for example, if you
deleted an X from each URL, it should say "Delete X from URL."
instead of "Correctly rephrase URL."

I didn't try to read the code to really grok what's going on; I hope
you aren't angry at me for being so lazy.

Are you willing to provide an improved ChangeLog entry?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-24 18:59     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2002-04-24 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Thanks, Kai.  Sorry for not providing a proper changelog entry.
Here is one based on yours.

2002-04-24  Kai Großjohann  <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>
	From Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca>.

	* nndoc.el (nndoc-type-alist, nndoc-lanl-gov-announce-type-p)
	(nndoc-transform-lanl-gov-announce, nndoc-generate-lanl-gov-head):
	Recognize math postings.  Extract Date (now ignores "(15kb)").
        Extract email address using gnus-extract-address-components
        instead of just taking the first word.  Create Date and From
	headers for message which are missing these headers.  Get rid
        of spurious \\ lines (purely cosmetic).  Extend body-end and
        file-end regexps, to exclude more garbage from the message.
        Make URL rephrasing regexp more flexible, to match current
        format.

--
Dan Christensen
jdc+news@uwo.ca

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-24 19:36       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-24 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca> writes:

> Thanks, Kai.  Sorry for not providing a proper changelog entry.
> Here is one based on yours.

Thank you, applied.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-26 11:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-26 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

> It appears that if I forward the offending digest using
>
>    C-u 4 M-x gnus-summary-mail-forward
>
> then you can still see the C-d problem exactly as I do.  If I use
> the standard nil argument for C-c C-f forwarding, Gnus massages the
> message a bit before sending, and somehow manages to clear up the
> problem!

Actually, I think there is no problem.  The MIME digest looks fine.
I guess the massaging comes because when MIME forwarding, Gnus parses
the MIME message into its structure, and when you send it again, Gnus
creates a new MIME structure.

That's why the MIME structure (in particular the part separators) are
different in the forwarded message.

Hm.  I'm not sure what's involved in having C-d grok MIME digests
inside a normal forwarded message.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-25 19:11 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2002-04-25 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann

Okay Kai,

It appears that if I forward the offending digest using

   C-u 4 M-x gnus-summary-mail-forward

then you can still see the C-d problem exactly as I do.  If I use the standard
nil argument for C-c C-f forwarding, Gnus massages the message a bit before
sending, and somehow manages to clear up the problem!

Hmm ... I wonder if it would be possible to use that same functionality
/in situ/ on the original message?

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                           Engineering Applications
 Cray Inc.                                http://www.cray.com

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:01:17 -0400
Subject: msc.nastran digest: April 23, 2002
To: "msc.nastran digest recipients" <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>
From: "MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group digest" <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>

From: "MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group digest" <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>

MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group
MSC.NASTRAN Digest for Tuesday, April 23, 2002.

1. Re: Craig-Bampton reduction
2. Re: Craig-Bampton reduction
3. RE: non linear

---
You are currently subscribed to msc.nastran as: stern@cray.com
----------

From: "Kaushik Sinha" <kaushik.sinha@rti.daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: Craig-Bampton reduction

Hi,
      You can try this link for more details.
http://analyst.gsfc.nasa.gov/FEMCI/craig_bampton/

--

Regards,
Kaushik Sinha

----------

From: Ted Rose <ted.rose@mscsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:09:27 -0700

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-25  7:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-25  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I hit C-d on your message and found four messages inside:

E. 24-Apr, -1b: MSC.NASTRAN Dis | msc.nastran digest: April 23, 2002
E. 23-Apr, -1b: Kaushik Sinha   | Re: Craig-Bampton reduction
E. 23-Apr, -1b: Ted Rose        |
E. 24-Apr, -1b: Rubensmarras@ao | RE: non linear

Seems to be correct.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-25  7:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

> I'm attaching a digest that I get from a mailing list.  Because the digest
> divider is a mixture of "-" and "+" in a seemingly random way, C-d can't parse
> the message.

I used C-u g on your message and searched for "+" but didn't find
any.  Not any interesting ones, anyway: I found one in your email
address and one in a date header ("+0500" or so for the timezone).

I guess the message got garbled?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: C-d heuristics
@ 2002-04-24 19:33 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2002-04-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm attaching a digest that I get from a mailing list.  Because the digest
divider is a mixture of "-" and "+" in a seemingly random way, C-d can't parse
the message.

But when I view the entire message, Gnus shows me buttons for the mime type

    message/rfc822

so obviously some part of Gnus is recognizing that the email is composed of
several separate email messages.

How hard would it be for C-d to recognize several message/rfc822 parts?  Dan
Christensen's recent patch doesn't quite do it.

Since I use procmail I could filter the boundaries through sed to get
something "C-d"-recognizable, if anybody has any suggestions.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                           Engineering Applications
 Cray Inc.                                http://www.cray.com
 411 First Avenue South, Suite 600               206-701-2182
 Seattle, WA 98104-2860                     FAX: 206-701-2500
 gpg fingerprint = 6171 14B3 A323 965B 614D  056F B41C 03AE E404 986C

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 8382 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 572 bytes --]

From: "MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group digest"
 <msc.nastran@lists.mscsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:01:17 -0400

MSC.NASTRAN Discussion Group
MSC.NASTRAN Digest for Tuesday, April 23, 2002.

1. Re: Craig-Bampton reduction
2. Re: Craig-Bampton reduction
3. RE: non linear

---
You are currently subscribed to msc.nastran as: stern@cray.com

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/plain, Size: 2858 bytes --]

From: "Kaushik Sinha" <kaushik.sinha@rti.daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:06:07 +0530

--======-=-=

      You can try this link for more details.
http://analyst.gsfc.nasa.gov/FEMCI/craig_bampton/

--

Regards,
Kaushik Sinha
Senior Scientist
DaimlerChrysler Research Centre
137,Infantry Road
Bangalore - 560001
Ph. - (91)-(080)-2861722 -ext-300
Mobile :-9845195405
E-mail -> kaushik.sinha@rti.daimlerchrysler.com
              kaushiksinha2000@yahoo.com
"Roman Chomicz" <chomicz.r@tecnomare.it> wrote in message news:LYRIS-14433117-5256125-2002.04.22-09.58.59--kaushik.sinha#rti.daimlerchrysler.com@lists.mscsoftware.com...
> MSC.NASTRAN Discussion
> Hi everybody,
>

> I have to perform a Craig Bampton reduction but I have no idea about how I
> can implement it. Anybody knows something about it?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Roman

--======-=-=

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You can try this link for more
details.</DIV>
<DIV><A
href="http://analyst.gsfc.nasa.gov/FEMCI/craig_bampton/">http://analyst.gsfc.nasa.gov/FEMCI/craig_bampton/</A></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Kaushik Sinha<BR>Senior
Scientist<BR>DaimlerChrysler Research Centre<BR>137,Infantry Road<BR>Bangalore -
560001<BR>Ph. - (91)-(080)-2861722 -ext-300<BR>Mobile :-9845195405<BR>E-mail
-&gt; <A
href="mailto:kaushik.sinha@rti.daimlerchrysler.com">kaushik.sinha@rti.daimlerchrysler.com</A><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A href="mailto:kaushiksinha2000@yahoo.com">kaushiksinha2000@yahoo.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>"Roman Chomicz" &lt;<A
href="mailto:chomicz.r@tecnomare.it">chomicz.r@tecnomare.it</A>&gt; wrote in
message <A
href="news:LYRIS-14433117-5256125-2002.04.22-09.58.59--kaushik.sinha#rti.daimlerchrysler.com@lists.mscsoftware.com">news:LYRIS-14433117-5256125-2002.04.22-09.58.59--kaushik.sinha#rti.daimlerchrysler.com@lists.mscsoftware.com</A>...</DIV>&gt;
MSC.NASTRAN Discussion <BR>&gt; Hi everybody,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
I have to perform a Craig Bampton reduction but I have no idea about how
I<BR>&gt; can implement it. Anybody knows something about it?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Thanks,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Roman<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--======-=-=--

[-- Attachment #2.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 2838 bytes --]

From: Ted Rose <ted.rose@mscsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:09:27 -0700

Hi - if you just want to create a reduced model to send to someone else,
there are many ways to do this. There are 3 sets of DMAP alters in the
sssalter directory (alterxga.vxx, alterxha.vxx, or alteria.vxx - x =1,2,9
and xx = version of Nastran) which will do it. There is also a standard
feature in the program using a parameter called EXTOUT

To use this, do the following:

1) Set up your model to run (probably for SOL 103), including the METHOD
command and the EIGRL for the modal reduction.

2) add the following entries to your bulk data:

PARAM,EXTOUT,yyyyyyy
         yyyyyyy = DMIGPCH = matrices written as DMIG in punch file
                  DMIGOP2 = matrices written as "DMIG" in OUTPUT2 file
                  MATRIXDB = matrices stored in database
                  DMIGDB = matrices stored as DMIG in database

SPOINT,i, thru,j
                i = starting id
                j = ending id
          create one SPOINT for each mode you are going to calculate -
          (these are the "placeholders" for the modes)

ASET1,dof,GRID
          for each interface GRID point, add one ASET or ASET1 entry
           which lists the dof you want to have in the reduced matrices
           (if in doubt, use all 6 dof)

that's it.....

There is a conference paper I wrote on this (I think for the 1999 Aero
conference), which goes into more detail.

Good luck - Ted

At 03:57 PM 4/22/2002 +0200, Roman Chomicz wrote:
>MSC.NASTRAN Discussion
>Hi everybody,
>

>I have to perform a Craig Bampton reduction but I have no idea about how I
>can implement it. Anybody knows something about it?
>
>Thanks,
>

>Roman
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to msc.nastran as: ted.rose@mscsoftware.com
>%%email.unsub%%

   Ted Rose  -  ted.rose@mscsoftware.com
   Manager of MSC.Nastran Training and Support
   MSC.Software Corporation
   815 Colorado Blvd.,  Los Angeles, Calif., 90041
   Tel: 323-259-3825  Fax: 323-259-4999
DISCLAIMER:  The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and
do not reflect corporate views or policies of The MSC.Software Corp.
(and for that matter they probably don't even reflect reality)

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves
up and hurry off as if nothing happened.       --Sir Winston Churchill

[-- Attachment #2.1.4: Type: text/plain, Size: 554 bytes --]

Subject: RE: non linear
From: Rubensmarras@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:12:40 EDT

--========-=-=

Karl

Do you have an example, or a dat file to show me ?

Thanks.

Rubens.

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Karl
<BR>
<BR>Do you have an example, or a dat file to show me ?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks.
<BR>
<BR>Rubens.</FONT></HTML>