* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-10 10:31 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-06-10 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> nigel@9fs.org wrote:
>> No. Plan 9 has a different approach to editing and
>> development environments, such that emacs and vi
>> are not a good fit.
>
> Hey, EMACS provides a highly programmable environment that goes
> way beyond simple editing tasks.

I'm sorry if I appeared to imply anything else. I carefully
said "editing and development environments", not just "editing".

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-12 17:56 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-06-12 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// Shouldn't the editor promote... the One True Brace Style ?

in breif, no.

while i'm as much a fan of the style you've likely got in mind as i
imagine most people here are - IN C - it's not universal. as my
interjection there should have prompted, the first concern is that
i'm not always writing C. heck, i don't know about others here, but
_i'm_ not always writing _code_! i use Acme for pretty much all my
text editing needs, from coding to scratch notes to documentation
to printed letters to humans, to email. as often as not (at least),
imposing the One True Brace Style would be more of a burden than a
win. and that says nothing of languages that have differing styles
of syntax. i can only imagine how awkward using the auto-indent
style you're proposing would make programming in some of the
APL-like matrix/array math languages.

and, of course, there's the less theoretical, more practical
concern that pretty much every auto-indent system i've seen gets
things horridly wrong when faced with non-standard use, where
non-standard includes such wild and exotic things as cutting and
pasting code.

i'd further note that acme's brace matching makes it quite easy
to simply write your code ignoring the first tab and injecting it
later. and _surely_ (hopefully?) you're not advocating that the
editor understand the _language_, and impose auto-indenting
"features" on things like statements after if, for, etc.?
anothy

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-12  9:18 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-06-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I find 'nose' more useful than 'elbow'.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2151 bytes --]

From: forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Emacs
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:42 +0100

>>>to research the reasoning and theory behind plan9 and acme? I realize it
> >>is rather different style from traditional UNIX editing as well as the
>>>Emacs style of editing, ...
>>>
>> i'd hope so after all this time. [i said]
>>
>read as "I understand it is easy to be preconditioned
>by confident utilization of UNIX/Emacs style editing
>over long periods of time, but, there is no reason to
>dismiss a new environment without first learning how

no, i meant today must be roughly 20 years later, surely,
if not more.  i'd hope at least the style and ideally the substance
might have changed a bit in these areas.   i realise that
some older things turn out to be the best achievable,
even in computing, and some newer things are
worse than their predecessors.
in this case, however, i can't help thinking that the elapsed time
should provide some opportunity for interesting improvement.

control-meta-shift-elbow!

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-12  9:07 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-12  7:49 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-12  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   n> Acme has everything I need and I'm more than ur avg developer ;)
>
> There's something wrong with your keyboard. It's dropping characters.

He was using emacs after knowing acme; his emacs was so hungry for
keybindings that ate some of the regular characters. I suggest to redirect
the emacs standard i/o from another emacs after  M-x doctor.

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-11 10:08 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-11 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: nigel @ 2002-06-10 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I perhaps should have been a bit clearer that understanding the
philosphy is vital, and reading the documents is the only way at the
moment.  This is not optimal I accept.

You cannot roll up to Plan 9 and use it on the assumption that it
provides a standard Unix environment, with some extra goodies.  Plan 9
is package; you have to work in a different way to get the benefit.

As I switch between many development environments in my work, I know
the good and bad bits of all the options.  I wouldn't be working with
Plan 9 if I didn't percieve a benefit.

If your only requirements are a C compiler and an editor, and you have
a project to do, then to justify Plan 9 as the development environment
you must use it in the way it is designed to be used.

That, at the moment, will require some reading around.  I can see that
if familiar tools were available you might be able to get your work
done in a traditional way, while soaking up some of the 'culture' of
Plan 9, without losing too much time, but unfortunately that's not an
option.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1901 bytes --]

From: forsyth@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:10:08 +0100

sam is by no means `like notepad'.  i've used both.  sam is the older
of the two visual editors, and the newer one, acme, includes the
more powerful features of sam (notably structural regular expressions
and the editing command structure) but is an environment
(with a significant nod to Oberon) that is closer in functionality
to emacs but with a different approach to integrating new functions
such as multi-file editing, mail, news, wiki, and other things.

it would be helpful if there were a more tutorial introduction to acme
i suppose, but have a look at the paper, not just the manual page.
similarly, what can be done with the Edit verb is probably not by
any means obvious, so it's not surprising you  concluded as you did.

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-10 10:21 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-10 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, it does, I was one of those guys that made cdplayers
in lisp just to embed them into emacs. Since I tried acme,
I have been frustrated everytime I had to use emacs, so beware,
don't even try acme if you plan to go back to unix ☺.

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-10 10:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-10 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sam is by no means `like notepad'.  i've used both.  sam is the older
of the two visual editors, and the newer one, acme, includes the
more powerful features of sam (notably structural regular expressions
and the editing command structure) but is an environment
(with a significant nod to Oberon) that is closer in functionality
to emacs but with a different approach to integrating new functions
such as multi-file editing, mail, news, wiki, and other things.

it would be helpful if there were a more tutorial introduction to acme
i suppose, but have a look at the paper, not just the manual page.
similarly, what can be done with the Edit verb is probably not by
any means obvious, so it's not surprising you  concluded as you did.

* Re: [9fans] Emacs
@ 2002-06-07  9:35 nigel
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: nigel @ 2002-06-07  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No. Plan 9 has a different approach to editing and
development environments, such that emacs and vi
are not a good fit.

You can check the following manual pages for details

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/acme
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/sam
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/emacs
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/vi

There are discussions at length in the mailing list archive
as to why such venerable editors are not used, and why
there is little motivation to use them, even less port them.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist has links to all
the papers and the distribution itself.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1500 bytes --]

From: Blake McBride <blake@florida-software.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Emacs
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:06:20 GMT

Is there a version of (GNU or other) Emacs for Plan 9?
How about vi?

Thanks.

Blake McBride
blake@integra-online.com