* [9fans] There is no fork
@ 2018-02-10  2:48 Benjamin Huntsman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2018-02-10  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just curious as to the state of the union.  Is 9front pretty much the de facto "official" Plan 9 these days, or does anyone still use or maintain any of the following:

9atom

NIX

9legacy

The original Bell Labs distribution

Thanks for your input!

-Ben

* Re: [9fans] There is no fork
@ 2018-02-12 23:48 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 2/10/18, Benjamin Huntsman <BHuntsman@mail2.cu-portland.edu> wrote:
>> Just curious as to the state of the union.  Is 9front pretty much the de
>> facto "official" Plan 9 these days, or does anyone still use or maintain any
>> of the following:
>
> I'm with David (legacy), nearly all the way.
>
> That said, I deem it unfortunate that there isn't a drive to
> consolidate the various flavours of Plan 9 into a single offering, or
> at least identify and discuss the differences and provide for the
> choices from a single source (pun intended).

Have you considered providing this service?

sl

* Re: [9fans] There is no fork
@ 2018-02-13 14:15 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 2/13/18, Rui Carmo <rui.carmo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I get the current website and some of the in-jokes, but a step-by-step guide
> > for installing, building and contributing would be great ...
>
> It's so easy to fall into the trap of elitism, while bemoaning the
> shortage of development hands needed to bring Plan 9 (or any one of
> its other flavours) into the "mainstream".
>
> What keeps Plan 9 alive and this list/group thriving is the
> conversation, irrespective of the actual pertinence to the "real
> world". It is knowing that the world has rejected the Plan 9 "grace"
> and are therefore not deserving, blah, blah. Human natures, humoured,
> harmlessly. Why not? Plan 9 is elegant, 9front presumably has some
> robust features, the other flavours can handle their own niche
> objectives.
>
> I've been absent here for a long spell and came back recently to
> discover most of the old hands still at it and some new blood raising,
> mutatis mutandis, the same issues we've seen go past since 1995 (for
> me). It is as familiar as it is reassuring.
>
> But the reality is that Plan 9 is too good in too many ways and the
> world can only absorb chunks of that at the time (disruptive
> technologies, I believe they were labelled, way back) and so it
> progresses very little while the few remaining contenders to the prize
> of OS of the century or millennium or whatever have the resources to
> track the bad engineering decisions they (the OSes) facilitate or even
> demand.
>
> Merging Plan 9 flavours would resolve many otherwise intractable
> problems, but it will do nothing to improve the penetration of Plan 9
> in the marketplace and no one has the funds to tackle it, even if they
> felt that the result would be worth it.
>
> But there is something in not following the fashion; I, for one,
> really cherish it. Mostly because it is all so simple, once you leave
> the baroque world of Windows, Linux and OSX behind.
>
> Lucio.

I think he was looking for

	http://fqa.9front.org/fqa4.html

and

	http://fqa.9front.org/fqa5.html

sl

* Re: [9fans] There is no fork
@ 2018-02-14  0:31 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-14  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Rui, please present any issues you had with the step-by-step
>> introductions in the fqa to us on the 9front mailinglist in a
>> designated thread.
>
> The main issue for me is putting together a build environment on top
> of KVM or Linux, which isn’t covered in the FQA.
>
> I can’t build 9front on a Pi (well, not in productive amounts of
> time), and all the machines i have available with the requisite
> horsepower are in the public cloud (except for my iMac and a local KVM
> host that is already overburdened with my Windows development VM).
>
> Since I’m a staunch supporter of CI/CD I’d love to automate the
> process from committing code to building a burnable image, and dipping
> into 9front from “outside” to run the requisite commands is going to
> be a time sink.

It sounds like you are saying you want to 1.) build Plan 9 on Linux,
using Linux tools, 2.) and test it by running the result in
QEMU/KVM/whatever hosted by Linux.

1.) is the wrong approach.  Just build inside Plan 9.

2.) is trivial and is covered in FQA3[0] and FQA5[1].  9front's fork
of drawterm[2] can run without graphics, and can be used to execute
single commands.

If this is really your aim, I think you can accomplish it with minimal
stress.

sl

[0] http://fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html

[1] http://fqa.9front.org/fqa5.html

[2] http://drawterm.9front.org

* Re: [9fans] There is no fork
@ 2018-02-14 14:37 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-14 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Feb 14, 2018, at 2:18 AM, Rui Carmo <rui.carmo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 00:31, sl@9front.org wrote:
>
>> 1.) is the wrong approach.  Just build inside Plan 9.
>
> You missed the rest of the thread.

I read the entire thread but I didn’t see this point specifically
addressed.  From the latest posts it is still unclear where you plan
to do the compiling.

Okay, so let’s stipulate compiling on Plan 9.  Unless I missed it, the
relationship between your automated tools on the Linux host and the
build on the Plan 9 guest (for example, how they will communicate)
hasn’t been mentioned at all.  That’s why I brought up the 9front fork
of drawterm as a possible facilitator.  It can handle 9front’s new
auth scheme and it can run individual commands.  Lacking something
like this, how else do you plan to control the build on Plan 9?

It also wasn’t clear to me that you’ve spent any significant time
actually using Plan 9.  It might even be a good idea to use the system
for a while, even without all the external automation, to figure out
if any of this is even worth your time.  A lot of people find they
don’t like Plan 9 once they get here.

Anyway, good luck with whatever your ultimate goal is.

sl