* Re: [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-17 15:13 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-10-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cd src/libthread; make tprimes
> gives a slew of errors. maybe cygwin really doesn't have pthreads (though
> the headers are there) or it could be a linker problem. I'm getting *lots*
> of "undefined reference to foo" messages.

Add -lpthread, perhaps?

I also had to add -lrt on Solaris, to find sched_yield.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-17 18:21 Caerwyn B Jones
From: Caerwyn B Jones @ 2003-10-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm just curious whether somebody
> else has thought of it already.

My 9term and sam on unix have plumbing and mouse chording, but these use
the old libXg.
I'll try this weekend to get the 9pm 9term working with the new libdraw,
and include plumbing and chording.

The tricky bit is to get the current working directory of the shell.
On Solaris it's possible to use /proc/n/cwd to find it out. There's
probably an equivalent on Linux.

It's worth doing because it makes the user interface so much more fluid.

-Caerwyn

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-17 16:30 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We need help.  We're falling further behind in supported devices.  We
could use a real browser.  We need better C++ support (someone to
really finish dave hogan's gnu work).  Rsc and I have discussed some
possible projects to keep us going with a small number of people:

- a way to wrap linux drivers so we could use them in our kernel.

	We wouldn't want our most important drivers run this way, but
	it would be nice to quickly get drivers for stuff noone has
	time to work on.

- a native port of X (i.e.  one that actually integrates well with
 plan 9 rather then a straight port).

	If we're going to get a browser that we can use (or use one on
	another machine) this is one way to do it.  Current browsers
	may be outside of our philosophy, but who can live without
	one?

- a better POSIX porting environment.

	'configure' should at least figure out how to build for us.
	Ape isn't quite there.

- an emulation environment we could run Linux binaries in.

	I'm less sanguine about this but it might be a quicker way to
	using stuff from Linux.

I've said Linux rather than FreeBSD.  I like the latter better but the
Linux would be more useful.

I'm not pronouncing our effort at the labs dead (we still depend on
Plan 9 for a lot of stuff) but it sure is moving a lot slower and the
vultures aren't jumping as far away when we throw rocks at them.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-17 15:48 matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-17 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Opinions?

I'm with you, captain.

Seeing the libs exported to another OS is like watching the first rat sliding down the anchor lines.

Unless, of course, it is to put 9p in there somewhere.

The usual outcome is that 90% gets ported and it's the 10% that bites.

Will the mantra be "Linux : better plan9 than plan9' ?

But it's theit time and effort, they are free to spend it how they choose.

Personally I'd settle for fixing Fossil & adding cookies to mothra

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-17 13:03 Caerwyn B Jones
From: Caerwyn B Jones @ 2003-10-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Forward the files to me please. I was about to do the port myself.

-Caerwyn

for such purpose.

* [9fans] plan 9 ports to unix (including libdraw)
@ 2003-10-13 18:31 Russ Cox
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been using Unix (FreeBSD) for day-to-day work for a few
weeks now, and have started to bring over some Plan 9 tools to make
life a bit more hospitable.

Mk was already done, and Scott Schwartz did sam over the summer.

As I mentioned before, I did a fairly complete libdraw port
that is enough to compile samterm almost unchanged from the
current sources (the only real change was to use a named
pipe instead of /srv for the B file).

It has been working pretty well for me on FreeBSD and for
Rob on Mac OS X.  I tested it on Linux but haven't exercised
it very much.

This morning I compiled my crossword puzzle player without
any changes -- just worked (well, except for a little bug in the
libdraw port which I fixed).  I am hopeful about other things
compiling easily.

I'd love to see the plumber and acme made to work, though that
will require some reengineering to eliminate dependence on Plan 9
features.  I'm not likely to have time in the near future, though.
If anyone is interested and has time to hack, I'd be happy to do
a brain dump.

On a similar note, I have a 9P2000 drawterm that is very very alpha.
If you have time to bang on it, I'd be happy to share.  It's not
quite ready for regular use though.  Email me off-list.

http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/software/plan9/

Russ